The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015 Training Camp and Pre-Season

Did anyone post the lines Peters was looking at in yesterdays "A" practice yet?

E. Staal-Rask-Lindholm

Gerbe-J. Staal-Nordstrom

Skinner-Nash-Versteeg

Malone-McClement-Nestrasil

Woods-Ryan-Terry on a fifth forward line

The biggest surprise to me is I'd have guessed Nordstrom and Nestrasil would have been reversed.

He knows what he has in Nesty. He may want to see Nordstrom with more "skilled" guys.

What do I know?

He knows what he has in Nesty. He may want to see Nordstrom with more "skilled" guys.

What do I know?

That probable is a fair evaluation of whats going on. But what do I know  :huh:

I think what SD said makes sense, and admittedly I know absolutely nothing about Nordstram.

Sounds like the team got put through the ringer yesterday for compete level.  Coach Peters evidently had the evil eye going and had hammer in hand.

Good.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I think what SD said makes sense, and admittedly I know absolutely nothing about Nordstram.

Sounds like the team got put through the ringer yesterday for compete level.  Coach Peters evidently had the evil eye going and had hammer in hand.

Good.

Amen to all that. 

We already know that BP finds out about guys' capability by overslotting them and seeing if they have that next gear. Drove us all crazy with that last year. Fortunately he only has a few guys he needs to run through the same gauntlet now, and is clearly planning to get it done by the end of preseason... 

What do I know?

That probable is a fair evaluation of whats going on. But what do I know  :huh:

Yeah, that makes sense. But I probably know even less than either of you.  :P 

Amen to all that. 

We already know that BP finds out about guys' capability by overslotting them and seeing if they have that next gear. Drove us all crazy with that last year. Fortunately he only has a few guys he needs to run through the same gauntlet now, and is clearly planning to get it done by the end of preseason... 

Given the hand that Peters has been dealt, it seems like that may be as much or more a necessity for icing a team as it is a strategy for evaluating talent. :unsure:  

I read a few days ago that Peters said he wasn't going to make cuts just to reach certain numbers. In effect he said if a player showed desire, the right attitude and promise, that player would be kept in camp and get extra practice time or game time.  I'm not sure that is the reasoning behind Nordstrom skating that line but it could be. 

Am just wondering what Nordstrom might show that Nastracil does not? And am agreeing that Peters seems to have a few pieces to the lineup puzzle that he's playing with.

Given the hand that Peters has been dealt, it seems like that may be as much or more a necessity for icing a team as it is a strategy for evaluating talent. :unsure:  

I can't put my finger on why, other than that he's just been such a mid-level hockey guy so recently. but I think he has familiarity with guys who came up and who maybe weren't the highest picks, but showed him something when his teams played against them. He strikes me as the kinda guy who notes those types and keeps an eye open for a chance to work with them.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Not looking forward to the upcoming season.  Shut ot by the Caps and overwhelmed by the Pens.  Are our tryout players that much worse than theirs?  And BP's observations after the two games:

“I didn’t like some of the compete. At times I didn’t think like we competed hard enough. Some guys caught on a big stage maybe not quite ready, but that’s what [preseason] is for,” Peters said. “I’m disappointed in the work ethic part of it and the compete. That’s not something you can sweep underneath the rug, but you learn from it and move on.”

Looks like the Canes are picking up where they left off last year,  Playing poorly and lack of effort.  Sounds like a broken record.

In addition to the guys you list, there's still Gerbe as a potential 9-guy,

Holy mackerel. Yes, I completely left him out. That's what these split squad's and my laziness do.

Gerbe is pretty much a lock and Nestrasil has such an inside track, that even Terry is going to have a tough time outside of the healthy scratch rotation. We definietly have a lot more potential knocking at the door for that #9 spot than in the past. Are any of them ready to grab it?

Edited by remkin

Not looking forward to the upcoming season.  Shut ot by the Caps and overwhelmed by the Pens.  Are our tryout players that much worse than theirs?  And BP's observations after the two games:

“I didn’t like some of the compete. At times I didn’t think like we competed hard enough. Some guys caught on a big stage maybe not quite ready, but that’s what [preseason] is for,” Peters said. “I’m disappointed in the work ethic part of it and the compete. That’s not something you can sweep underneath the rug, but you learn from it and move on.”

Looks like the Canes are picking up where they left off last year,  Playing poorly and lack of effort.  Sounds like a broken record.

Saying last season's second half was great would be a bit much, but we were very good, especially in January and February. 

I think key guys on this team have something to prove and I think those who don't feel and play like it will be moved out and new ones brought in. Just as it should be.

Holy mackerel. Yes, I completely left him out. That's what these split squad's and my laziness do.

Gerbe is pretty much a lock and Nestrasil has such an inside track, that even Terry is going to have a tough time outside of the healthy scratch rotation. We definietly have a lot more potential knocking at the door for that #9 spot than in the past. Are any of them ready to grab it?

As I watched the many quiet moves we made in the off-season and read about the guys we were bringing in, three words kept going through my head: "Could be hungry." That's never a bad thing, and we have added real depth with Hensick and Ryan, although I somehow imagined Ryan in a higher slot. Then again, it's early.

Am just wondering what Nordstrom might show that Nastracil does not? And am agreeing that Peters seems to have a few pieces to the lineup puzzle that he's playing with.

Having not really watched Nordstrom, I can't speak to what intangibles that he brings, but he is not on the same planet w/ Nestrasil because he generates zero offense. Based on his produtivity (.08 ppg and zero goals in 38 games last year) and that the world champs got him into 38 games, I have to assume he brings a nice forcheck and defensive game.

But to your point, and I'm guessing this is your point, Nesty probably brings most of what Nordstrom brings, and he scores: to wit:

Nestrasil, put up .44 ppg (Gerbe hit .35) while leading the entire team in plus minus. And he has not peaked. If Nesty can just bump that up a notch to .49, and stay healthy, he's a 40 point guy. That is actually second line production on most teams.

Edited by remkin

So why is it ok for the Canes use the excuse, that's it's preseason hockey,, isn't it the same for the team they are playing against? Would be nice to have a pretty good feeling heading to the regular season, than how its been for the last many years.. It also looks like the coach isn't very happy either!

So why is it ok for the Canes use the excuse, that's it's preseason hockey,, isn't it the same for the team they are playing against? Would be nice to have a pretty good feeling heading to the regular season, than how its been for the last many years.. It also looks like the coach isn't very happy either!

Well, for one thing the Canes played a split squad; we had only half of our likely actual NHL team dressed for the game.  Whereas the Pens had most of their top players on the ice (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Kunitz, etc.).

Still no excuse for the "lack of compete" Peters said some guys showed.  I trust he'll take care of that pretty quickly. :boxing:    

Edited by LakeLivin

Sorry g, I understand your frustration but I've got to disagree about last year.  Yes, we started out playing very poorly, and finished the same, but that was after we weakened the team by moving players at the trade deadline.  But as top points out above, we played some decent hockey in between.  And outside of a couple of games (which you're going to get from ANY team), I thought the boys played hard most of the time. Lack of effort leads to losing, but losing doesn't always imply lack of effort (even though that seems to be a default assumption for many people).    

Edited by LakeLivin

Did anyone else think Hanifin played well last game?  I liked what I saw...  He was also only a -1 and going up against super stars....  Like I said before, if he can keep it going there is no reason why he wouldn't be able to effectively man the 2nd or 3rd pairing and contribute on a nightly basis. 

Edited by bluedevil58

It was hard to pick out for me, with all the breakdowns leading to goals, soft goals, etc. swinging the momentum to the Pens pretty early - but I thought he looked much more comfortable in the third period than he did in the first.

That's not much of an analysis, but he did play some heavy minutes, which was certainly notable.  I think he did fine considering.

That is great to hear BD. I've been impressed with him in both Camps. His chances of making the team seem to be growing every time he takes the ice.

What does everybody think about Rask being slotted in as a #1 center?  To me it seems like that's an awful lot of responsibility for such a young player.  It kind of goes back to the "what are the options" question as well.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Top line center is a lot of pressure for a young guy.  I would rather see him develop on second or even third line.  But I underestimated him last season and I'm not going to do that again. If he shows he can handle it let him skate it.

I have a feeling we're going to see a whole lot of every possible line combo known to man this year to try to squeeze goals out of our forwards. With that said I just can't see Rask being successful on the #1 line unless he's made leaps and bounds in his game that I haven't seen yet.