The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015 Training Camp and Pre-Season

What does everybody think about Rask being slotted in as a #1 center?  To me it seems like that's an awful lot of responsibility for such a young player.  It kind of goes back to the "what are the options" question as well.

It will be a project that is short lived this season.

Rask has improved his game every offseason. That first camp he looked slow and in no way ready for even the AHL game which he struggled with the first half of the year. Then he found his game as the year went on, and came back after the summer with a dramatically improved game. Now, with an NHL year under his belt and another summer off, I expect more improvement.

That said, I agree that #1 center is rarified air. At best 30 of them in the world. If he has that in him it would still be most reasonable for him to get at least one more season and one more offseason in. I really like Rask and his game, but he only put up 33 points playing nearly every game. I think you really want at least 60 points out of your #1 center, so he will really need to show a higher level.

The caveats: we don't have legit first line wingers (Lindholm could be if he progresses also, and Skinner could be, but coaches keep trying to move him away from the top line), so that might tempt us to look at Eric/Rask/Lindholm or Eric/Rask/Versteeg. ie: make Eric the first line winger.

The other thing is that unless Eric plays wing, we have too many centers: Eric/Jordan/Rask/Nash/McClemment. Just food for thought.

Edited by remkin

My thoughts were if the team went with E. Staal-Rask-Lindholm that would by default slot Jordan to play against the other team's top line.  I'm not seeing Skinner-J. Staal-Versteeg in that role. 

Therefore, I'm with Legend, I think the slot machine approach to line combos is likely here to stay for the short term.

What does everybody think about Rask being slotted in as a #1 center?  To me it seems like that's an awful lot of responsibility for such a young player.  It kind of goes back to the "what are the options" question as well.

I second your view.  You were early in seeing the value in Rask years ago where I wasn't as impressed back then.  Very good assessment, and I'll go with your view now, too.

It would be great if he vaults to that level of responsibility and succeeds. Could make a major difference in how the team fairs, but man is that a load of responsibility.

Manwolf, I'm blown away that you remember that.  Thanks.  Particularly during the time when were waiting on one of Boychuk-Dalpe-Bowman to emerge as something. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

Manwolf, I'm blown away that you remember that.  Thanks.  Particularly during the time when were waiting on one of Boychuk-Dalpe-Bowman to emerge as something. 

I read more than I write.  Sometimes I read.....alot.  Other times, not so much ;)

What do people think we do with Nash if E plays center?

Nash and Rask fight it out for third line center?

Boychuk has been sent down to the minors yet again!

Can we please just let him go already and admit he's a colossal bust?

I think it was pretty clear to many of us that Boychuik was signed on a 2-way deal more for the sake of the Checkers than for the Canes.  He's not a bust as an AHLer, quite the opposite.  We got an early indication that the Canes were going to look out for Charlotte a bit more this summer when, in order to get MacIntyre to sign, we promised him we'd make the Chex more competitive and not repeat last year where they were so young and inexperienced. 

So Boychuk isn't news to me. More interesting is that Karlsson is heading to Charlotte and Wallmark back to Sweden.

Edited by LakeLivin

I too got the impression his signing was solely for the Checkers and don't find this overly surprising. If you're going to breed hockey in North Carolina our Charlotte counterpart also needs to win. Boychuk's a decent enough call up and a really good AHL'er with the NHL roster making room for otherwise AHL'ers Boychuk being down there isn't stealing a spot from anyone. 

What do people think we do with Nash if E plays center?

I'm curious: in a typical year, what proportion of games would you guys estimate that at least 1 of a teams first 4 centers is out?  In addition to major injuries, include dings that sit a player for a game or two/ maintenance days.  

Here are the latest cuts

Forwards Erik Karlsson, Patrick Brown, Kyle Hagel and Carter Sandlak, defensemen Danny Biega, Keegan Lowe, Tyler Ganly and Jake Chelios; and goaltenders Rasmus Tirronen and Daniel Altshuller have been assigned to Charlotte of the American Hockey League (AHL). Forwards T.J. Hensick, Zach Boychuk and Justin Shugg, and defenseman Rasmus Rissanen will be assigned to Charlotte as well, pending waivers.

Forward Lucas Wallmark has been assigned to Lulea of the Swedish Hockey League (SHL). Defenseman Roland McKeown has been returned to his junior team, Kingston of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL

).

On the whole Rask as top-line center thing, my prediction is that he will be given the whole year to get used to it. IOW: It's what Peters wants, E at wing is what RF wants, and wherever Rask plays, Lindy is on a wing.

Pretty much settles it. If E doesn't stay and we haven't found out if Rask can become a top-line center, we don't have one. Simple as that, and we know what we have to get coming back for E. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

I do agree having an extra center for what we pay Nash, we could rotate. Also, if on occasion (or more) Peters wants to try Rask up w/ E this lets us put Nash in.

Boychuk can be, I think, officially labeled a bust. Just calling it for what it is. A mid first rounder who has again missed the cut. We know what he is. Keeping him around is fine for the reasons listed, but he is a bust. As to missing on Karlsson, that happens every year and a bunch of other teams missed on him too.

If Boychuk, picked mid first round is our only recent miss it can still be ok, teams miss. But that comes down to Ryan Murphy. If he also ends up being a bust, then that is hard to work around. I hope he can break out, but he'll need to do it soon if it's going to be here. He did not look great his first pre season game (to me), but a lot of guys didn't either.

We have had some good results round 2 recently (Rask/Faulk).

Edited by remkin

The Big Question -Where Are The Goals Gonna Come From?

The other team.

Just had to. I keed. I keed!

Edited by remkin

Maybe will find out tonight..........

Preseason Gameday: Islanders vs. Hurricanes (in Halifax) by Michael Smith

Saturday marks the first of two exhibition games that the Hurricanes will play in neutral-site locations. This evening, they face off against the New York Islanders in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

puck drop will happen shortly after 5 p.m. Eastern. Chuck Kaiton will have the call on WRALSportsFan.com and through the WRAL Sports Fan mobile app, and, as always, we’ll have live in-game updates on @Canes_Gameday.

“It’s time to take a big step and do things right,” head coach Bill Peters said on Friday. “We’ve got two big lineups going, so we’re excited about seeing them play.”

It’s a fairly veteran squad up front for the Hurricanes tonight, as they’ll ice three full lines of NHL-experienced skaters

E. Staal-Rask-Lindholm
Versteeg-Nash-Skinner
Malone-McClement-Terry
Woods-Ryan-Nordstrom

Hainsey-Faulk
Hanifin-Murphy
Fleury-Jordan

Lack
MacIntyre

Seems odd in this day and age when high school chess is on cable somewhere, that the NHL can't just at least stream the preseason games and use the radio feed for sound.

Edited by remkin