The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015 Training Camp and Pre-Season

Won our first pre-season 5-3. Skins with 2 goals, Nordstrom, Hainsey/Staal ?tip-in, and an empty netter

with 2 sec. left.  We'll take it ! Good to listen to Chuck again, but I'd rather watch it.

You can't beat listening to Chuck. At least for the listening part.

Hey! We won!!!

Skinner scores twice and apparently Hanifin keeps looking good.

edit: Dang UNC great minds think alike, but yours is a second faster it would appear!

Edited by remkin

The ones that had to score did. I couldn't listen to the game so I'm hoping some of the write-ups give me a clue on our play. But good to win. It makes me feel better for at least a day.

Good to see hear Skinner get some offense going early.  Chuck was funny on that goal flurry in the first.

Same with Hanifin.

"it's a ballet score.  Two-two"- Chuck K. :D   I read Michael Smith's PGA, good to hear Skinner is going to(and scoreing from) right in front of the crease.

Sens today

Gerbe-J. Staal-Nestrasil
Versteeg-Nash-Skinner
McGinn-McClement-Terry
Di Giuseppe-Ryan-Tolchinsky

Liles-Wisniewski
Slavin-Murphy
Carrick-Pesce

Ward
Lack

Canes win. We are on a roll.

McGinn gets a breakaway goal, but more importantly, Cam was better.

Edited by remkin

Nice to get another win and prospects stepping up.

Sounds like Carrick got rocked pretty good in the fight.

Will be interesting to see who survives the next roster cut before the last two pre-season games.

I understand the reason for having home games that aren't in NC (another good topic), and no TV, no stream, yeah I get that.

But no boxscore sucks.  That's two games now.

Signed. Hockey nerd.

Edited by coastal_caniac

But no boxscore sucks.  That's two games now.

You'd think that SOMEONE from the NHL would be at these games to report on stats...this is pathetic that they can't make a simple trip to the Maritimes.

Agree, nice to hear Ward had a solid game.

Maniscalco after the game was pretty confident about Brock McGinn putting himself in position to take Dwyer's old spot on the fourth line.

Where'd Patty end up?  Another hard-working 4th liner who couldn't get past that point...seems to be the flavor of the Canes recently.

Nice to get another win and prospects stepping up.

Sounds like Carrick got rocked pretty good in the fight.

Will be interesting to see who survives the next roster cut before the last two pre-season games.

Yeah, and that elbow trying to even things up which gave them a late PP was not smart. Sounds like he can get there, but more time to mature is needed.

Peters said more cuts sooner rather than later... Get camp down to a manageable level.

Next game I expect we will get a pretty good idea who will be slotted where this season.

BD58, I agree that Hanifin will appear on the opening night roster.  I think our Dman pairings will look something like this:

Hainsey/Faulk

Hanifin/Wiz

Fleury/Murphy

either Jordan or Liles as extra

I think they'll give Fleury 9 games and then send him back to Red Deer.

My goal for Hanifin before the end of the season is to make sure he looks like he belongs out there, and not make too many mistakes.  As long as I see potential, that's all that really matters.  Best case scenario is he could repeat what Ekblad did last year.

Cuts announced

Defenseman Trevor Carrick and forwards Brendan Woods, Sergey Tolchinsky and Phil Di Guiseppe have been assigned to Charlotte’s training camp, which opens on Tuesday. Goaltender Drew MacIntyre and forward Brody Sutter will be assigned to the Checkers on Tuesday, pending waivers.

Where'd Patty end up?  Another hard-working 4th liner who couldn't get past that point...seems to be the flavor of the Canes recently.

He went to Arizona's training camp on a PTO and was released from that yesterday.

I would love to see McGinn get to prowl on the 4th line. Pat Dwyer was and is a consumate professional who brought a ton of intangibles, but we need to get to some youth in there. I will admit that I figured Y. Nordsrom, w/ more NHL starts, and a decent camp might get the nod w/ Malone and McClemment. I think of Nordstrom as bigger than McGinn, which he is, but actually as listed it's just 1 inch taller and about 4 lbs heavier.

Here is where I do wonder about developement. It is good for McGinn to see NHL speed. But I still think he has more scoring chops than people think and that will be hard to develope w/ 4th line minutes and situations. Seems the best thing for a guy like McGinn is some platooning between NHL/AHL.

Fully on board with Hanifin. I've been posting it since the red-white scrimmage, but this kid seems to have that preternatural ability to see and play the game way beyond his years. If he is even on the same planet as Ekblad....we have our elite Dman (not to in any way detract from Faulk, but this guys is even another level). That also begins to create a significant squeeze on the blue line.

I was not surpised to see Pesce, Slavin and Jordan as the surviving "AHL" contingency. I know that Pesce has not played there, but by that I mean "not a first round pick" guy.

I do wonder what happens to Murphy. I think he really has to show something. Is he subject to waivers if we send him down? If Murphy doesn't show serious offense, he's going to be the odd man out eventually. 

Early on JML can be scratched for a while, as he has been in the past, espeically if we want to give Fleury his 9 game try out.

I wonder if we might get Murphy in some games just to see if there might be a trade market. JML and Wiz and Faulk (and even Hanifin) can all move the puck, and long term so can Fleury. Murphy is expendable. But he needs to up his trade value.

I lost my single chit bet on Tolchinsky. He really needed to blow it away offensively, while not being a glaring weakness defensively. He is slick enough to quickly put up AHL numbers though, so he'll see NHL time at some point this year.

Finally some home games to see the action! (I mean Raleigh home games).

Edited by remkin

If you're a young forward on this team you gotta be feeling pretty good right now. We need to cut 4 more before camp ends and we're holding 10 defensemen right now. Assuming we carry 7, that means most of the forwards still in camp are going to be on the opening night roster. Good for them! 

I'm just relieved Hanifin looks good out there and is actually contributing.  If he was like a deer lost in head lights out there then I would be more concerned abotu the chances of this team being competitive.  I'm betting Pesce or Slavin might replace Murphy if he doesn't step his game up.