The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015 Training Camp and Pre-Season

I have a friend in Boston who follows BC hockey religiously (all Hockey East for that matter).

I am sure I will hear a lot of updates about this kid if he is worthy of them, I'll pass them along as I hear them.

Great, hag. I love hearing about our prospects but info can be hard to come by, especially on 6th rounders, but Cotton sounds very intriguing. Like Warren Foegle from a prep school, seems like a decent strategy to find late rounders.

That said, I think that Cotton has one more year of HS and will be at BC in 2016. Guess we've got to really think long term on him.

Still sounds like he could be a good late round pick though.

Edited by remkin

That said, I think that Cotton has one more year of HS and will be at BC in 2016. Guess we've got to really think long term on him.

Yeah, he told me that very thing later today.  Guess we really got him early :)

I think Nordstrom is going to be the guy that makes the cut.  He's a better defensive player.  Plus, he has to go through waivers if he is sent down.  Ryan does not.

Edited by bluedevil58

Game Preview vs Caps

Tonights line-up

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes 3h3 hours ago

#Canes forward lines Versteeg-E. Staal-Lindholm Gerbe-J. Staal-Nash Skinner-Rask-Terry Malone-McClement-Nordstrom McGinn, Ryan, Nesty extra

Hainsey was slated to play tonight, but he'll be held out. So D pairs: Slavin-Faulk Liles-Pesce Hanifin-Jordan

And as mentioned yesterday, Eddie Lack in net for the full 60 tonight.

Pre-season or not----shoot out or not----ANY day we beat the Caps is a good day !

Lindholm, Nash and Gerbe were the scorers !  (And Gerbs and Skinner in the shoou out)

GO CANES  !!

Edited by UNCCaniac8

Was at the game, few observations:

Not only was Brett Pesce the best dman tonight, he was probably the best player on the team.  He was very confident with the puck, skated it deep multiple times, in on the rush.  I've been to multiple practices, and I've never seen him like that.  It was like he knows he's an odd man out, trying to earn his spot.

Hanifin looked ok.  He had one play where he was at the top of the slot on the defensive side, tipped the puck back to keep it away from the forechecker, but basically shot it on goal on his own goalie.  Besides that, he didn't really do anything noteworthy.  He was not physical at all.  He didn't look lost, he just looked tenative.  I think he's scared of making a mistake.  He'll be fine though.

Jacob Slavin seemed out of his element to me.  I don't think he's ready.

Our forwards seem to hate the open ice.  They play along the boards too often, even when there's space down the middle.

Was at the game, few observations:

Not only was Brett Pesce the best dman tonight, he was probably the best player on the team.  He was very confident with the puck, skated it deep multiple times, in on the rush.  I've been to multiple practices, and I've never seen him like that.  It was like he knows he's an odd man out, trying to earn his spot.

Hanifin looked ok.  He had one play where he was at the top of the slot on the defensive side, tipped the puck back to keep it away from the forechecker, but basically shot it on goal on his own goalie.  Besides that, he didn't really do anything noteworthy.  He was not physical at all.  He didn't look lost, he just looked tenative.  I think he's scared of making a mistake.  He'll be fine though.

Jacob Slavin seemed out of his element to me.  I don't think he's ready.

Our forwards seem to hate the open ice.  They play along the boards too often, even when there's space down the middle.

Thanks for the analysis. Pesce's solid play was also acknowledged by Peters after the game, which is good to hear.

It's funny, it sounds like Pesce and Slavin reversed roles tonight. Peter's was quoted (it was in the pre-game write-up) as saying something to the effect that Slavin "has been the best defenseman since Traverse City to this point." Slavin has shown confidence and poise and has been more apt to join the rush while Pesce has been more of a stay at home guy.

I think I read in the recap that Slavin started with Faulk, Ovechkin went around him and scored 20 seconds into the game, and then Hanifin took his place alongside Faulk. Obviously, that may have affected Slavin.

Interesting decisions to come concerning our defense.

I wonder how much left vs. right-handed plays into things, if at all.

Hainsey, Liles, Jordan, Hanifin, Fleury, and Slavin are all lefties.

Faulk, Wisniewski, Murphy, and Pesce are righties.

Oh, and it's good to see that Malone and Faulk stood up for Nordstrom after a "questionable" hit, with Faulk ultimately dropping the gloves.

Thanks for the analysis. Pesce's solid play was also acknowledged by Peters after the game, which is good to hear.

It's funny, it sounds like Pesce and Slavin reversed roles tonight. Peter's was quoted (it was in the pre-game write-up) as saying something to the effect that Slavin "has been the best defenseman since Traverse City to this point." Slavin has shown confidence and poise and has been more apt to join the rush while Pesce has been more of a stay at home guy.

I think I read in the recap that Slavin started with Faulk, Ovechkin went around him and scored 20 seconds into the game, and then Hanifin took his place alongside Faulk. Obviously, that may have affected Slavin.

Interesting decisions to come concerning our defense.

Oh, and it's good to see that Malone and Faulk stood up for Nordstrom after a "questionable" hit, with Faulk ultimately dropping the gloves.

In fairness to Slavin, I don't think he was expecting to start the game because of Hainsey's injury in practice.  But yes on the Ovechkin play, he was coming down the ice on transition, and the puck was bouncing and it appeared Ovie had lost control of it, so Slavin tried to cut him off but didnt.  Ovie skated around him as the puck bounced back to his stick, and he scored.  It happened so fast, I didn't realize who was on the ice for us.  I definitely saw a lot less of Slavin after that play.

Lack was solid, especially in the shootout.  I think he starts opening night.

On the Nordstrom hit, i think Malone had just put a big hit on one of their players.  Then about a minute later, the Nordstrom hit happened.  At first glance it looked like a solid hit.  Then everybody just grabbed a hold of everybody, next thing you know, Faulk is fighting.  At first, I thought they gave him a game misconduct, because he went straight to the locker room, but it was toward the end of the period.  After reviewing the hit, it looked like interference, because I don't believe Nordstrom ever touched the puck.

I'm not gonna make too much about a pre-season win, but will say that - yet again - the first team to four won the game. Granted, it was a shootout win, but the shootout was basically a contest for the fourth "goal" in the final score. Also, the quick responses by our guys to getting behind is a real plus, and tying it up on the PP is just what you want, no question about it.

PK17 or anyone else who attended, I'm curious: It sounded on the radio like the first PP unit, on which Gerbs scored the tying goal, stayed out despite a "natural" opportunity to change, with maybe 1:15 or so left on the advantage. They wound up scoring with about :45 left. Just wondering if leaving the #1 unit out looked like it was called from the bench or an on-ice decision?

Probably the #1 unit has discretion about staying out on cleared pucks if the penalty clock is still showing over a minute, and it's a nerdy question, I know - but whatever the case, it worked out. It's just that I remember thinking, when Chuck was still calling Gerbs's and Eric's names after that clear, "They must be tired." Then, boom, puck's in the net. Clearly they were fine.

It's a small indicator, I know, but maybe "our group" really did come back physically ready this year.

Edited by top-shelf-1

. . .

Good question.

Especially Faulk imo. In the 2 years I've been following the Canes really closely, that's the first time I'm aware of Faulk defending a teammate. Which is a big part of the reason I'm against giving him a letter at this point whenever the topic comes up . . .  

. . .

Good question.

Especially Faulk imo. In the 2 years I've been following the Canes really closely, that's the first time I'm aware of Faulk defending a teammate. Which is a big part of the reason I'm against giving him a letter at this point whenever the topic comes up . . .  

The other side of that would be "Why the [bleep] is our All Star defenseman getting in a fight in a preseason game?" If he breaks his hand then I'm sure there would be all sorts of wailing about how dumb it was.

That being said I was okay with it and am glad he didn't get hurt.

The other side of that would be "Why the [bleep] is our All Star defenseman getting in a fight in a preseason game?" If he breaks his hand then I'm sure there would be all sorts of wailing about how dumb it was.

That being said I was okay with it and am glad he didn't get hurt.

I agree with you 100%.  Imo the players need to find a balance between (1) protecting teammates (2) minimizing risk of injury to themselves and (3) avoiding penalties that could jeopardize the outcome of a game.  I know, easier said than done at times. :P And the balance has to be different for different players.  A Malone response should be different from a Faulk or a Skinner response.  

edit: here's a video of the fight.

EDIT 2: I don't know what that video I posted was. It definitely wan't Faulk's fight, even though it was labeled as such on youtube.   :blink:

Edited by LakeLivin

PK17 or anyone else who attended, I'm curious: It sounded on the radio like the first PP unit, on which Gerbs scored the tying goal, stayed out despite a "natural" opportunity to change, with maybe 1:15 or so left on the advantage. They wound up scoring with about :45 left. Just wondering if leaving the #1 unit out looked like it was called from the bench or an on-ice decision?

Probably the #1 unit has discretion about staying out on cleared pucks if the penalty clock is still showing over a minute, and it's a nerdy question, I know - but whatever the case, it worked out. It's just that I remember thinking, when Chuck was still calling Gerbs's and Eric's names after that clear, "They must be tired." Then, boom, puck's in the net. Clearly they were fine.

It's a small indicator, I know, but maybe "our group" really did come back physically ready this year.

Can't say I noticed if the call came from the bench or not. I'm guessing since it was 5 on 3 they weren't as tired and wanted to put the pressure back on the defense ASAP without changing.

It feels a bit odd being excited for once about defensive prospects. I haven't seen the pool this deep on D for the Canes before. Pesce and Slavin need conditioning in the AHL. They can be called up for injuries or if Murphy falters which I know he will.

Edited by bluedevil58

I think Pesce is in a competition with Murphy for the bottom pairing, while Slavin has some guys with one-ways to leap over being a left shot.

Agree though, I think both need to simmer a while.  Slavin-Pesce would be a nice pairing in Charlotte.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Preseason Gameday: Penguins vs. Hurricanes

Line-up

Versteeg-E. Staal-Lindholm

Gerbe-J. Staal-Nash

Skinner-Rask-Terry

Nestrasil-McClement-Nordstrom

Jordan-Faulk

Liles-Wisniewski

Hanifin-Murphy

Ward

As good as our defensive prospects look longer term, our d line up would look a lot better w/ Hainsey in there.

So Nash is a winger now.

It will be interesting to see if Skinner/Rask/Gerbe can make goals. Same w/ the top line.

As good as our defensive prospects look longer term, our d line up would look a lot better w/ Hainsey in there.

So Nash is a winger now.

It will be interesting to see if Skinner/Rask/Gerbe can make goals. Same w/ the top line.

I'm thinking we are still a work in progress. Peters didn't appear that sure about E staying at center.

OBX, I thought BP was supposed to have sorted out our team last year, at least the holdovers.

Did I miss something, because I don't think Ryan or McGinn played Wednesday or are apparently in the lineup tonight. A sign of who the final 13 forwards are going to be?

OBX, I thought BP was supposed to have sorted out our team last year, at least the holdovers.

Did I miss something, because I don't think Ryan or McGinn played Wednesday or are apparently in the lineup tonight. A sign of who the final 13 forwards are going to be?

Given what Peters said about getting close to the final product, if you count the 20 playing tonight as likely keepers(?), add in Malone and Hainsey and that leaves one spot open for Ryan, McGinn, Fleury, Slavin or Pesce.

Edited by LakeLivin

I do wonder if Fleury not being in there is an indication that he may not get his tryout and might just be sent back to juniors? I would think if he is staying, even for 9 games he'd have been in tonight.

I do wonder if Fleury not being in there is an indication that he may not get his tryout and might just be sent back to juniors? I would think if he is staying, even for 9 games he'd have been in tonight.

I would agree. I think it would be very beneficial for his development to get those nine games, but it would appear he's going to get beat out by Jordan/Slavin.

Or there a couple of players in the lineup he wants another look at before making a decision. Hard to say