The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

The great E Staal Has Been Traded Thread

Sounds like it, but in reality he's not gonna tell the N&O "Yeah I want out of Carolina, I wanna play for a team that makes the playoffs on a regular basis"" Sometimes you just have to spout what they want to hear. I'm not saying that Staal wants out, just making an observation.

How far out of the playoffs do the Canes have to be to make it acceptable to hold onto Eric for a playoff push and risk losing him for nothing?

In the event the playoff push is close enough and we don't make it how many fans will forget they said they wanted the playoff push more and try to hang RF for holding onto Staal?

How far out of the playoffs do the Canes have to be to make it acceptable to hold onto Eric for a playoff push and risk losing him for nothing?

In the event the playoff push is close enough and we don't make it how many fans will forget they said they wanted the playoff push more and try to hang RF for holding onto Staal?

Yeah, this is what I'm getting at too. Staal is already very subtly pressuring Francis in the media with the whole "its tough on the family" stuff. I have maintained, and yes, it's not rocket surgery, but still, that dealing with Eric is the single trickiest thing Francis will have to do, possibly in his entire career, but certainly his early career.

Can he really trade Eric if we are in the hunt? Especially if we actually occupy a playoff slot at some point? Even if he wanted to, how badly would that irk Eric? To the point that he says to the trade request, "Nice chat Ron, but I think I'll stay".

If all eyes are truly on the prize of building a "year in - year out" contender, then Eric must be traded or sign at a markedly reduced, no NTC price: one or the other. Which means by extension that on a purely long term focused plan, if Eric cannot come to those terms, he needs to be traded, EVEN IF WE ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS AT THE DEADLINE. That would be the cold blooded, but long term thing to do. But is it realistically doable? If it comes to that and Francis makes it happen, he would go to genius status to me.

If we got back a functional top 6 forward, and a first round pick, we could slot them in and go Rask/Jordan/Nash/McClemment down the middle. Not a Stanley Cup favorite, but make the playoffs and never know.... but would Eric allow it, and would Francis pull it off in the face of the average fan drooling over playoffs?

Clearly the best thing would be that Eric agrees to a radically decreased contract and at least a limited NTC and re-signs if we are in a run. Clearly trading him would be far far easier if the team fell completely out of it both from our end and his.

But the "what if" you raise is the tricky one. What if we are just above the cut line at the deadline and Eric his holding out for $8 million and a full NTC?" Then what?

Edited by remkin

As his play's drastically reduced the past 3 years, I think at this point even he knows he's not getting 8mil aav.  If we're looking long term, the draft pick/prospect we'd receive for him would probably have a more meaningful impact on the team going forward than Staal, so he must be traded.  Although, I wouldn't be upset if he re-signed in the offseason after being traded.

But the "what if" you raise is the tricky one. What if we are just above the cut line at the deadline and Eric his holding out for $8 million and a full NTC?" Then what?

If you ever played poker, and let's just say made a straight.  You bet big, and you get 2 callers, much to your happiness.

The last card comes, and it not only puts a possible flush on the board, but it pairs the board too.   You had the best hand before that last card.  But now, there are flushes that could beat you, and also full houses.

Why did those 2 other guys call your big bet?

Now they both go all in in front of you.

What differentiates a great poker player from a good one, is the ability to let go a really good hand when it just isn't going to win.  You know it's a great hand, but so what.  It is still a loser.

The reason for the analogy is simple.   If the only "good play" is to let the hand go and fold, you have to do it.  If we have to let Eric go away for nothing at the end of the season, that is the way it goes.  Sometimes life stinks, you have to make be best of a bad situation.  You don't toss in more money, throwing in good money after bad.   You cut your losses and move on.  If Eric chooses to hold us with the NTC, there is nothing we can do about it.  We can all come up with ways that we would handle it, but realistically which of those ways would work.  You can't bench him, the fans would kill you.  It would poison your locker room, it would kill recruiting future free agents.  

Try and trade, but if he won't, fold.  It's the only great move.  Sometimes the best move is the least lousy. 

That is a great question. I would think we would need to be within 4 or 5 points to not shop our players at trade deadline. I'm not sure E will wave his no trade if he thinks there is a reasonable chance to reach the playoffs. I'm sure getting the Canes back to a playoff spot is one of his goals as captain and there is the J factor. How many more chances will he have to make a playoff run playing with his brother.

RF is gonna earn his pennies on this call.

Yeah, this is what I'm getting at too. Staal is already very subtly pressuring Francis in the media with the whole "its tough on the family" stuff. I have maintained, and yes, it's not rocket surgery, but still, that dealing with Eric is the single trickiest thing Francis will have to do, possibly in his entire career, but certainly his early career.

Can he really trade Eric if we are in the hunt? Especially if we actually occupy a playoff slot at some point? Even if he wanted to, how badly would that irk Eric? To the point that he says to the trade request, "Nice chat Ron, but I think I'll stay".

If all eyes are truly on the prize of building a "year in - year out" contender, then Eric must be traded or sign at a markedly reduced, no NTC price: one or the other. Which means by extension that on a purely long term focused plan, if Eric cannot come to those terms, he needs to be traded, EVEN IF WE ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS AT THE DEADLINE. That would be the cold blooded, but long term thing to do. But is it realistically doable? If it comes to that and Francis makes it happen, he would go to genius status to me.

If we got back a functional top 6 forward, and a first round pick, we could slot them in and go Rask/Jordan/Nash/McClemment down the middle. Not a Stanley Cup favorite, but make the playoffs and never know.... but would Eric allow it, and would Francis pull it off in the face of the average fan drooling over playoffs?

Clearly the best thing would be that Eric agrees to a radically decreased contract and at least a limited NTC and re-signs if we are in a run. Clearly trading him would be far far easier if the team fell completely out of it both from our end and his.

Good points and I'll try to add a few more.

1) Many of us, reading the tea leaves, thought Thanksgiving was the trigger. If we're not in it, all bets are are off (at least) or the fire sale begins (at most). While the latter scenario would have been difficult with Eric b/c of how much salary we'd have retained to move him then (versus doing so at the TD), it was doable (theoretically at least)--and nothing happened.

2) So maybe we're giving it til Christmas. Suddenly we're looking better, thanks to some help from Eric, though we still haven't seen that "next gear." But maybe, just maybe...

3) Reading Eric's comments in the N&O piece, it sounds like the TD is the cutoff now. ("hopefully we can get on a little bit of a run here and go from there and let it sort itself out" and "this is near where they've been trying to get to, and we still have to get there") 

He's playing better, but still not anything close to dominantly. But if we're in the hunt at the TD, what's to stop Ronnie from saying, "Okay, you want to be a piece and you don't want to move. You've made a contribution and as a team we're on track. Let's give it 'til the end of the season, with a gentlemen's agreement that you won't talk to other teams, I'll give you my best offer, and you give me a yes or no. Period."

I can totally see that happening if we're in the hunt, although I can also see RF just saying "We need to resolve this now, this is the offer, take it or leave it" in hopes of getting a deep discount or something coming back at the TD. But if Ronnie wants to be able to say he gave Eric every opportunity to prove his worth, he's smart to stretch it out, IMO.

Now, if Eric is brash enough to insist on being extended now at anywhere near what he's making now (anything over 5.5M and/or an NTC - and given his nutjob agent he might do so), I think Ronnie moves him. But if he's willing to talk to us first after the season, I see little downside for either party in keeping him until after the season ends, and potential upsides for both parties: If Eric plays well down the stretch and his value increases and he nixes our best offer after the season ends, he gets to test the market--and we still come out with 9.5 million more to work with. But if he's sincere about liking the direction we're going in and wanting to finish his career here, he's going to have to agree to a big pay cut, no NTC, and relinquishing the C at some point during his extension (if that's the will of the org). 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Reading the E speculation from those paid to render informed decisions it seems the value of E on the open market will be around $6.5 million. I don't always have a lot of faith in the pundits and professional speculators but that is what his value seems to be placed at.  If he were going to take a cut to stay in Carolina I would expect some sort of no trade clause will be part of the bargain. length of the contract may also be a sticking point. My guess is no longer than 3 years but who knows at this point.

Lets face it a player is worth what his agent can get him, no more and no less. The question remains does RF think E is a vital part of the rebuild for the next few years.

Here's another sticky part about the situation if we're close at the deadline: barring a sign-and-trade (trade-and-sign?), teams interested in E are not only going to be renters, they're also going to be looking towards a playoff run of their own.  It's unlikely they'd to be willing to give back a current functional top 6 forward as compared to picks or prospects. So wouldn't trading E at the deadline if we're close almost by definition mean compromising a run at the playoffs?

I posted what's below in the main forum a bit ago but it seems like the conversation is more here than there:

Regarding trades: doesn't GMRF have a fiduciary responsibility to this years season ticketholders to try to make a reasonable run at the playoffs if we're close?  That doesn't mean he can or should mortgage the future to do it, but I don't think he can sell out this season for the sake of the future, either.   (I'm not a season ticket holder)

But the question remains: how far out at the trading deadline would we have to be in order for RF to be able to trade E (assuming we don't reach terms with him)?

Edited by LakeLivin

Regarding trades: doesn't GMRF have a fiduciary responsibility to this years season ticketholders to try to make a reasonable run at the playoffs if we're close?  That doesn't mean he can or should mortgage the future to do it, but I don't think he can sell out this season for the sake of the future, either.   (I'm not a season ticket holder)

The ten of us will have a meeting and discuss it.  I am confident that we will agree to take a long-term view over short-term satisfaction.  We have seen what short-term thinking brings us.

The ten of us will have a meeting and discuss it.  I am confident that we will agree to take a long-term view over short-term satisfaction.  We have seen what short-term thinking brings us.

:lol:

But seriously, you and others on this board are probably more sophisticated (in a hockey sense) than the average season ticket holder. Don't you think there'd be an uproar if we were, say, 3 or 4 points out on paper (maybe 5 or 6 "actual" accounting for uneven schedules) and RF traded E for picks and prospects, essentially ending what may have been admittedly been unrealistic hopes (especially if there were still 3 or 4 other teams between us and the last spot)?

I'm not making a case one way or another, just trying to assess the environment. In this day and age if such a thing happened it wouldn't shock me to see some Bozo sue the Canes for the price of their 2015-16 season tickets.

Edited by LakeLivin

:lol:

But seriously, you and others on this board are probably more sophisticated (in a hockey sense) than the average season ticket holder. Don't you think there'd be an uproar if we were, say, 3 or 4 points out on paper (maybe 5 or 6 "actual" accounting for uneven schedules) and RF traded E for picks and prospects, essentially ending what may have been admittedly been unrealistic hopes (especially if there were still 3 or 4 other teams between us and the last spot)?

I'm not making a case one way or another, just trying to assess the environment. In this day and age if such a thing happened it wouldn't shock me to see some Bozo sue the Canes for the price of their 2015-16 season tickets.

I am rarely serious :)     

But speaking seriously, yeah, I do worry about it.  Listening to the aftermath last night there were callers talking playoffs and actually one guy said we should be buyers rather than sellers at the deadline since we are now in the playoff hunt.  It does worry me that the overzealous marketing of the team can skew the layman fan opinion towards an overoptimistic view of the team.

Giving full credit, Mike M. did answer by saying even if we were in a playoff spot in the deadline we could trade because it might make better long-term sense, and John didn't poo-poo it either.  So at least both sides of the issue are being put out there by the Canes media, even though I do think they paint a rosier picture than reality most of the time.

The question remains does RF think E is a vital part of the rebuild for the next few years.

Put a slightly different way:

The question is whether RF thinks $9.5 million in cash to put toward a future signings is more vital than keeping E on the roster and adding to the available payroll only the difference between E's current salary and whatever lower number than that Eric would agree to take. 

I am rarely serious :)     

But speaking seriously, yeah, I do worry about it.  Listening to the aftermath last night there were callers talking playoffs and actually one guy said we should be buyers rather than sellers at the deadline since we are now in the playoff hunt.  It does worry me that the overzealous marketing of the team can skew the layman fan opinion towards an overoptimistic view of the team.

Giving full credit, Mike M. did answer by saying even if we were in a playoff spot in the deadline we could trade because it might make better long-term sense, and John didn't poo-poo it either.  So at least both sides of the issue are being put out there by the Canes media, even though I do think they paint a rosier picture than reality most of the time.

I think the further we get down Peters Place the more obvious it will be become, even to fans who want a superstar Captain, that there's been a sea change in the way the brain trust is approaching things.

The plan going forward is clear: If guys are playing the system they will be fairly (not ridiculously) rewarded, and there will always be another guy either in the system or being scouted who can (and will) do the same job for less money than any current player who starts demanding too much.

In fairness to Eric, we don't know what he's asking. It is entirely possible that he comes to RF hat-in-hand, says he's very happy here, will stay for 6 million, doesn't realistically expect us to handcuff ourselves with another NTC, and would rather not have the C any more. I think all of us perceive Eric (or his agent, at least) as having too big an ego to do that. But we really don't know, do we - and given what looks to be the league-wide recognition that he's lost a step, it could happen. I'm not expecting it to - but it could.

You'd think any fan looking at Eric's numbers would see that he is on a pace that completely justifies offering him what Versteeg makes - 4.5 million. I think that would be the offer, were it not for that darned C on his chest and the overhyped name across his shoulders.

That said, it is easy to forget that much of the responsibility for Eric's perceived value in his and his agent's minds - and whatever degree of failure to fulfill his potential may exist in fans' minds - rests with the team's marketing department, as you suggest, Hag. Eric is a highly skilled player, but he is no Sid Crosby or Alex Ovechkin or Jonathan Towes.

JR overpaid him. Then he overhyped him. Then he blamed coach after coach and winger after winger for Eric's inability to dominate year over year, because the money just wasn't there to go get Kopitar.

I am so glad those days are quickly fading in the rearview.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Amen brother.  No matter what happens, the current state of affairs is history.

I think the further we get down Peters Place the more obvious it will be become, even to fans who want a superstar Captain, that there's been a sea change in the way the brain trust is approaching things.

The plan going forward is obvious: If guys are playing the system they will be fairly (not ridiculously) rewarded, and there will always be another guy either in the system or being scouted who can (and will) do the same job for less money than any current player who starts demanding too much.

In fairness to Eric, we don't know what he's asking. It is entirely possible that he comes to RF hat-in-hand, says he's very happy here, will stay for 6 million, doesn't realistically expect us to handcuff ourselves with another NTC, and would rather not have the C any more. I think all of us perceive Eric (or his agent, at least) as having too big an ego to do that. But we really don't know, do we - and given what looks to be the league-wide recognition that he's lost a step, it could happen. I'm not expecting it to - but it could.

You'd think any fan looking at Eric's numbers would see that he is on a pace that completely justifies offering him what Versteeg makes - 4.5 million. I think that would be the offer, were it not for that darned C on his chest and the overhyped name across his shoulders.

That said, It is easy to forget that much of the responsibility for Eric's perceived value in his and his agent's minds - and whatever degree of failure to fulfill his potential may exist in fans' minds - rests with the team's marketing department, as you suggest, Hag. Eric is a highly skilled player, but he is no Sid Crosby or Alex Ovechkin or Jonathan Towes.

JR overpaid him. Then he overhyped him. Then he blamed coach after coach and winger after winger for Eric's inability to dominate year over year, because the money just wasn't there to go get Kopitar.

Top, if it comes down to it I don't think the biggest issue that RF will face is trading Eric in particular.  For all the reasons that have been discussed I think the shine has worn off of him for a good portion of the fan base.  The big issue imo will be giving up one of our top 6 forwards in exchange for assets that aren't likely to help us this year. Which, given our depth (or lack thereof), stands a good chance of ending any Canes playoff hopes.  And when a lot of fans look at the standings and see "2 points back" they just think it means we need to win 1 more game without taking into account schedule imbalances or the number of teams between us and the last spot.  (I'm guessing that the general public won't recognize that we're realistically out of the playoff hunt until well past the time we actually hit that point).  So it won't be trading E in particular that presents RFs biggest challenge, it will be that the organization is basically giving up on chasing a playoff spot.

And I don't think the principle just applies to E. Same goes with Versteeg (and to a much  lesser extent even Hainsey and Liles). (talking actual playoff push now and not the public relations part that comes with E)   I know Hainsey and Liles don't get any respect on here, but given our lack of depth and overslotting, I suspect the team would even take a noticible hit in effectiveness if we dumped one of them and were forced to play Jordan (or Murphy) for the remainder of the season.  

Edited by LakeLivin

Top, if it comes down to it I don't think the biggest issue that RF will face is trading Eric in particular.  For all the reasons that have been discussed I think the shine has worn off of him for a good portion of the fan base.  The big issue imo will be giving up one of our top 6 forwards in exchange for assets that aren't likely to help us this year. Which, given our depth (or lack thereof), stands a good chance of ending any Canes playoff hopes.  And when a lot of fans look at the standings and see "2 points back" they just think it means we need to win 1 more game without taking into account schedule imbalances or the number of teams between us and the last spot.  (I'm guessing that the general public won't recognize that we're realistically out of the playoff hunt until well past the time we actually hit that point).  So it won't be trading E in particular that presents RFs biggest challenge, it will be that the organization is basically giving up on chasing a playoff spot.

And I don't think the principle just applies to E. Same goes with Versteeg (and to a much  lesser extent even Hainsey and Liles). (talking actual playoff push now and not the public relations part that comes with E)   I know Hainsey and Liles don't get any respect on here, but given our lack of depth and overslotting, I suspect the team would even take a noticible hit in effectiveness if we dumped one of them and were forced to play Jordan (or Murphy) for the remainder of the season.  

Point taken, and I refer you to my prior post re being willing to let Eric walk at the end of the year, which I'll expand on a bit.

I think there is power in just telling both Eric and Cam, "You want to stay, great. Play your best between now and year end, and we'll talk then. If you play well, and maybe get this team back to the dance, you'll have ingratiated yourselves to the fan base, made yourselves more marketable, and given us a hard decision. Play poorly and - well, you made the bed, so you'll have to lie in it. Just as it's your prerogative to nix a deal with your NTC, it's our prerogative to have you play out your contract. We're choosing to do that, rather than give you a golden ticket to a contender and let you evade responsibility for disappointing this fan base yet again."

The fact is that if both Cam and E walk over the summer, we're still 15 million richer. Picks and money are the two key things to building a winning team that this org has lacked for the duration of both of these guys' deals. So I'm with Hag: When people say we can't give them up for nothing, they either ignore or forget that we get lots of money to work with.

If we're serious about holding players accountable, I can't think of a better opportunity than the one that exists right now, with both of these historically under-performing players, to do so.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Letting Eric walk with no return isn't going to happen, IMO. 

And I'm fully aware that 9.5 + 6 = 15 - replacement cost.  Personally, I like 9.5 + 6  = 15 - replacement costs + assets from trades

Edited by coastal_caniac

I hope Eric goes lights out between now and the deadline.  Then I'd still trade him at a higher value and at the end of the season find out if he wants back in under sober terms after the dust settles.

The Canes being in Playoff contention would only increase his value through the argument of there being no need to move him while the Canes have a shot.  That's the strongest hand IMO (I'm no poker player).  

What if you can't get it done?  See if you can punt with a one-year extension without NTC at a reasonable price.  Allow Eric to make his case between now and season's end, but keep rights to him.

Let me preface this by saying we absolutely need to get out from under the bad contracts. BUT return is far more important than actual cap space. Again, this does not mean cap space is not good. We can make some deals that other teams can't if we have more cap space....but....

I feel the need to bang my head against the wall when people seem to consider cap space as being like winning money on the old Wheel of Fortune where you then got to go shopping for whatever you want with that money. Cap space just gives us the budget to go out and try to overpay top UFA's, who, unless they are Russian and their last name rhymes with Lemon, will almost never chose to come to Raleigh. Or, if they do only after we make it rain with some crazy money, might come and become the next insanely overpriced player, who probably only came because we also threw in a NTC, thus under motivating them even more. But really, they just don't come here.

Until we ARE a perennial contender, the only way we get good UFA's here is the "good" JR way: diamonds in the rough, land of misfit toys. And that IS a good way, but you don't throw big bucks at those guys anyway, plus they are hard to find.

Drafting and Trading are the #1 and #2 best way to get talent here. The return on the trade is key because it gets around the whole players don't choose to come here issue. They have no choice. See Versteeg, Sekera, Justin Williams, Rod Brind'Amour, Tuumo Ruutu (he used to be good), Joni Pitkanen, etc. Good players in return on trades.

On the flip side: return on Sekera, whoever we draft w/ LA's pick in the first round, and McKeown. I hated losing Sekera, but the return was key.

If we ride Eric to the end and get nothing but avoid overpaying him, it is better than overpaying him. But that's kind of like a slap to the face is better than a knee to the groin. It is not the end of the world, but a big missed opportunity.

Edited by remkin

I feel the need to bang my head against the wall :bangHead:

just tryin' to help.

I get your feeling on this and generally agree that something coming back is better than nothing. But like any rule, it has exceptions, and I think we're in an exceptional situation right now.

Eric and Cam lack renewals and both are suddenly playing better. Maybe they're doing it because they want to have as much value as possible at the TD. Or maybe they just want to win. But we can't just pretend that not having a renewal isn't a motivator. 

If we DON'T deal them at the TD, it is reasonable to believe they will remain motivated and play that much harder down the stretch, because they are essentially burnishing their resumes. Whether they take them to the FA market or use them to see what we'll offer is less meaningful WITH THESE TWO PLAYERS, than it would be if we were talking about, say, Towes and Crawford.

I don't think it is unreasonable for RF to request the gentlemen's agreement I suggest from both of these guys, given their STATED (not coerced) desire to stay here. At the end of the year, RF makes his best offer and they say yes or no. In the meantime, we get two guys who are contributing to a playoff drive, both of whom have very good reasons to finish out this season like it's their last. Maybe we re-sign them when it's over, maybe we don't.

Look, I totally get that if we're out of the mix or on the bubble the TD, they're probably both gone (Eric at least). And I'd be fine with that. But if we're solidly in it, whatever return we risk losing by not dealing them - when compared to the $15 million we KNOW we'll get to work with, if they leave at the end of the year - is, to me, an easy decision. They remain motivated and pay hard, and after the season is over, maybe they (1) look around and see the strides our young talent has made, and that BP's system works, (2) decide that they really do want to finish their careers here, and (3) agree to a hometown discount.

Or maybe it turns out WE don't want them back at all. But I just don't see enough of a potential loss in terms of what might come back - given the picks we already have and the added money we'd have to work with - to not keep them for a playoff run PROVIDED we are SOLIDLY in a playoff position at the deadline.   

Edited by top-shelf-1

But if we're solidly in it, whatever return we risk losing by not dealing them - when compared to the $15 million we KNOW we'll get to work with, if they leave at the end of the year - is, to me, an easy decision. 

I'm not so sure the 15 mil would be RF's to play with. PK could always adjust his internal budget.Remember PK is still looking for a major partner regarding ownership. 15 mil or a portion of that deduction would be more attractive to a potential owner.

No matter what Erics stats show this season, nobody can say that he is dogging it, or lazy, or doesn't care. He has worked hard this year and looks extremely strong out there. Most of the time he is the best player on the ice when his line rolls. It's a shame he can't put it in the back of the net more. Maybe not being the highest paid player and the captain and in the spotlight all the time would really benefit him. I wonder if he'd be willing to take the pay cut, give up the C, and finish his career here? Probably not, he is a competitor. One things for sure, nobody is stripping the puck away from Eric, once he's in possession he's not going to lose it, I saw him make a couple of beautiful passes in front of the net during the St. Louis game that weren't handeled by his line mates. gotta be frustrating to play with guys who can't handle a laser beam pass in front of the net. Just my thoughts up to this point.

No matter what Erics stats show this season, nobody can say that he is dogging it, or lazy, or doesn't care. 

I can say it, and I do. He didn't show up until mid-December. Typical Eric.

If we were paying him for half-seasons, that might be fine. But we're paying him for the full year - and then some.