The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

The great E Staal Has Been Traded Thread

Contract wise, I'd like to see more performance laden ones.

Base $3-4mil.

Score 25 goals= $1mil. Score 50 goals= $2mil.

Score 30 assists= $1mil. Score 60 assists= $2mil.

Lead team to playoffs= $1mil.

Lead team to ECF= $1.5mil.

Lead team to SCF= $2mil.

Win SC= $3mil.

Wonder if something like this would light a fire under Eric?

Not all players are eligible for Performance Bonuses, and to receive a bonus within their contract, a player must meet one of the following criteria:

The player is on an entry-level contract.

The player has signed a one-year contract and is over 35 years old.

The player has signed a one-year contract after returning from a long-term injury (has played 400 or more games, and spent 100 or more days on the Injured Reserve in the last year of their most recent contract).

So great game against the Islanders. Why did Eric even dress for this game?

Apparently, but he may have been wearing a dress.  :)

Uh, last night to me was a "changing of the guard" game, right there in my face.  I was getting excited every time I saw Versteeg, #11 Staal or Nesty on the ice.  I had a hard time finding #12.

Uh, last night to me was a "changing of the guard" game, right there in my face.  I was getting excited every time I saw Versteeg, #11 Staal or Nesty on the ice.  I had a hard time finding #12.

You mean it took until last night to get to that game for you? :cheers:

Apparently, but he may have been wearing a dress.  :)

I have become a huge Versteeg fan. He brings it every game. He's probably our best play maker on the team right now. It's imperative that we resign him.

I get "small sample size" and I get that +/- in an imperfect stat, but ES was the only minus player on the team last night. It's time.

I totally agree it's time, but in fairness he was one of only 3 plus Canes against the Pens.  Maybe RF can use that fact to get JR to give up a haul similar to what he gave up for Jordan...

I get "small sample size" and I get that +/- in an imperfect stat, but ES was the only minus player on the team last night. It's time.

That goal infuriated me. It was the Isles 3rd goal... Jstaal and company had just put in a very long shift on the PK with a very tired Jordan managing to skate the puck out of the zone all the way down ice... killed time before dumping it to make sure we got a good line change. E comes on the ice and waives his stick at someone as they fly by him on the rush... no attempt to skate or get in his way... they complete the rush and score. It was noticeably different than the way the rest of the team was playing. Move your feet. Check the guy. Do something.

Its time.

Ok... go look at the play on your DVR. I thought I might be unfair. He skates by and is 25 feet in front of a trailing Eric in a second and a half. I remembered it right.

I totally agree it's time, but in fairness he was one of only 3 plus Canes against the Pens. Maybe RF can use that fact to get JR to give up a haul similar to what he gave up for Jordan...

I know, that's why I included a couple of disclaimers. I just wanted it out there for when Francis comes here looking for the answers. Rem said RF makes all his decisions after consulting this board. Edited by super_dave_1

So great game against the Islanders. Why did Eric even dress for this game?

Well I missed both games, but had an out-of-town excuse. It sounds like I wasn't the only one missing, and now everyone wants the other guy to go out-of-town.

As for me, I'm staying.  However,  it won't cost everyone $9M, or anything close to $4M.

Edited by Manwolf

Easy now, that was the only mark he had. All zeros across the board except of that minus, don't take that away from him. It was the only proof he was in Raleigh last night.

Edited by winger52

I just think he's playing like a man that knows he's a goner. Go on and rip off the band aid.

I kind of agree.

I see RF trading EStaal and then resigning him for around $6mil for 3 years.

It's nice to talk to you guys again.

Anyone else think that maybe this up in the air thing is weighing on Staal. I know he's said he doesn't think about it, blah blah blah, but come on. Here it is,2 weeks till the deadline and it's all 'status quo'. It's not like the guy is single, he's married and has 3 kids under the age of 6. It's got to be weighing him down wondering what his future holds. I don't care what anyone says.

RF  needs to decide to keep him or trade him. The sooner the better for both parties. I just think this wait and see is not doing Eric any favors and its showing these past few games. He was looking good, or shall I say better, then within the last week when Curran was asked, he said it's all status quo, wait and see. Then it seemed to me that Eric took a step back.

Anyone else think that maybe this up in the air thing is weighing on Staal. I know he's said he doesn't think about it, blah blah blah, but come on. Here it is,2 weeks till the deadline and it's all 'status quo'. It's not like the guy is single, he's married and has 3 kids under the age of 6. It's got to be weighing him down wondering what his future holds. I don't care what anyone says.

RF  needs to decide to keep him or trade him. The sooner the better for both parties. I just think this wait and see is not doing Eric any favors and its showing these past few games. He was looking good, or shall I say better, then within the last week when Curran was asked, he said it's all status quo, wait and see. Then it seemed to me that Eric took a step back.

Let it weigh on him. His poor play has weighed on this franchise for three years and then some, while he's raked in over 18 million.

You might also want to check this site. It shows Eric has two points in his last 12 games (dating back to Jan 14, one full month), and only 10 since his two-goal game against NJ (Dec. 29).

Eric's house, wife and kids are not RF's responsibility, but I've got a feeling they're not wanting for anything.

Eric's a big boy. To get payed like one, you gotta play like one.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I don't think the issue is as much how Eric feels, rather how the general fan population (beyond this board) and probably more importantly, how the rest of the team feels regarding the issue of when we move E and what we get back for him taking into account our status in the playoff hunt.

Let's focus on the locker room. E hasn't contributed much lately. But he leads the Canes in puck possession stats, is still one of only 6 Canes with at least 30 points, and his points per 60 minutes stat is (surprisingly) higher even than Justin Faulks.  I wonder how the players would view the playoff possibilities with a Terry, Malone, or McGinn on the ice as compared to Staal, even given his recent downturn? (that's a question, I'm not taking a position)  I'm sure they understand the "big picture" nature of things.  But I'm also sure BP is pushing the players to give it everything they've got in continuing to chase a playoff spot this year.  If the players perceive the organization is looking more to the future at the cost of potentially hurting the current playoff push, does that potentially effect the play of the rest of the team?  I mean, if the Canes are weighting the future more heavily than the present, might not some of the players subconsciously do the same?  Could some of the older players become more inclined towards "protecting" themselves a bit more? E.g., someone like Versteeg, Hainsey, or Liles from the perspective of saving on wear and tear with regard to the rest of their careers, even if not with Carolina? Or even someone like Faulk or J STaal, might they shift the balance in avoiding injury vs. maximizing effort as much as possible right now? Which one could argue is more important to the team's future the same way as getting max return on the UFAs is.   

I'm not putting forth a personal opinion at this point as to what I think RF should do.  Rather, I'm speculating on some additional issues that might make it tougher for RF to "just dump E for whatever we can get for him" than some here would like.  I think that return and timing are still key issues for RF until the playoff push actually becomes unrealistic this season.  And while I think we're close to that point, I don't think we're quite there yet.

Two additional points:

1. The issues I touched on pertain to the rest of the UFAs beyond E as well.  
  2. I think both fans and the rest of the team would see return/ timing as being linked.  I.e., the bigger a return for a traded player the sooner RF can pull it off even while we're not completely out of the playoff chase.
Edited by LakeLivin

Good question bluedevil. Unbelievable that E. is sitting at 9goals and not even a possible scoring threat at this point. I think RF has to try really hard to sell him and get something somewhat exciting in return.

Any kind of new life and a little offense could really boost the Canes even more. I have to think at this point E. is probably a downer in the locker room and not contributing much on(was up until last week) or off the ice.

How does a trade effect our top offenseman at this moment J. Staal? What if E. wakes up as we get closer to playoffs and starts playing like.........ah never mind, that aint happening.

I want to see him moved, but its got to be for a player now, not just picks. We really have a legit chance at the playoffs right now, and I wouldn't say its out of the question to win a round with the way the boys have been playing.

I've been one of his biggest supporters and defenders of E. Staal but man he is just defeated out there and deflated, you can see it in his eyes and I'm sure his teammates can too. Change must be made, Eric's got to go at the deadline.

Keep Cam to carry us through a possible playoff round.

Eric as it is, seems to be in a funk. It is very telling that this team is making a push while he is in a funk.

All I've said is trying to imagine the conversation between him and Francis. I think the team could still make it without him. I also think that a big center with scoring history, who his obviously in a funk that could shake off w/ a change in scenery might still bring at least a first rounder back. But how do you ask him to waive and leave a team that he is the Captain and the face of, that is in the playoff hunt? Unless Eric himself is ready for a change, because he has that NTC.

Edited by remkin