The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

The great E Staal Has Been Traded Thread

Eric Staal is a class act. He will be missed for more than his performance on the ice.

In April of 2010 I was headed to Las Vegas on business. Eric and his wife were both on my Southwest Airlines flight (yes, he was in the "cattle call") going out and coming back. While waiting for my luggage, I got up the nerve to talk with him and asked him to sign an autograph to my 9 year old daughter, who was a big fan. He was gracious, friendly, and accommodating. I was struck by his receptiveness and the way he conducted himself.

Though his play has no doubt slipped in recent years, Eric has always been a great ambassador for the Hurricanes and for the sport. It will be odd to see him wearing a Rangers sweater but I wish him success in the playoffs. Hopefully he and his brother can lift a cup together.

I think Eric was worn down over time trying to carry this team. Some guys just aren't cut out for that. I wish nothing but the best for him.

who will wear the C the remainder of the year?

I doubt they touch that subject until the summer.

I'd guess 3 A's until then.

Edited by legend-1

Eric Staal is a class act. He will be missed for more than his performance on the ice.

In April of 2010 I was headed to Las Vegas on business. Eric and his wife were both on my Southwest Airlines flight (yes, he was in the "cattle call") going out and coming back. While waiting for my luggage, I got up the nerve to talk with him and asked him to sign an autograph to my 9 year old daughter, who was a big fan. He was gracious, friendly, and accommodating. I was struck by his receptiveness and the way he conducted himself.

Though his play has no doubt slipped in recent years, Eric has always been a great ambassador for the Hurricanes and for the sport. It will be odd to see him wearing a Rangers sweater but I wish him success in the playoffs. Hopefully he and his brother can lift a cup together.

I think Eric was worn down over time trying to carry this team. Some guys just aren't cut out for that. I wish nothing but the best for him.

Being from Boston it pains me to say this, but Go Rangers!

Man, go away from the computer for a couple of hours....

Wish we could have gotten a first, what do people know about the prospect?

Probably not the best deal out there, as Eric had to waive, but that's on JR. At least Eric gets to play with his other brother.

A deal had to happen. More trust in Ron staying the course. Watch for JML and Versteeg deals too if they don't sign.

While there have been some downs, in all Eric Staal will go down as one of the most important Canes in our short history. Who knows, the way we like to recycle....

Best of luck to Eric.

Edit: ok I see there's some stuff on the trade thread....

Edited by remkin

But they don't even have a 1st-rounder this season, right, because of the Yandle deal?

Correct, the Rangers have not had a 1st round pick since 2012. They have realized that after selling their future has yielded them a big fat nothing, it's not wise to do it a 5th consecutive time.

This is beautifully said and I second it. Great story about your plane trip.

Eric was victimized by his deal in so many ways, and he was too young to know it. He of course got no help from his agent, because agents have zero incentive to help their clients do anything but get the biggest contract possible.

JR should have known it was too much too soon, and I hope for his sake we never share a plane, because he'll get an earful.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Coming soon to a forum near you:

"I wanted him gone but RF should have gotten a first"

"Oh sure... once he was traded he started racking up points"

"We should never have traded E."

"We would have made the playoffs if we had kept E"

"We should have traded him years ago"

"E didnt get enough respect"

"E got too much respect"

In other words... it was handled just about right.

I think that while the deal isn't what we all wanted, it is a very very solid deal GMRF made.  I think NYR realize the writing's on the wall.  The are a team that is trending downwards, and they have an even emptier cupboard than a JR team, combined with the 4 consecutive 1st rounders they've traded away, I can see why they didn't want to trade next year's 1st, but what they gave up is far far worse.

Draft picks are becoming more and more valuable everyday.  These 2nd rounders give us a lot of flexibility.  We could easily use them and have 11 draft picks this year, or we could move them or ours around and move up in the draft or an established prospect.  And we have a really good prospect coming back as well.  The last 3rd rounder drafted by NYR was Anthony Duclair, and he's already got 40pts in his rookie season.

All in all, not thrilled, but not devastated in the least bit.  Besides, if Eric does eventually come back (which he will), then it was a great deal. 

Coming soon to a forum near you:

"I wanted him gone but RF should have gotten a first"

"Oh sure... once he was traded he started racking up points"

"We should never have traded E."

"We would have made the playoffs if we had kept E"

"We should have traded him years ago"

"E didnt get enough respect"

"E got too much respect"

In other words... it was handled just about right.

:coollaugh:

1st let me say I wanted to see Eric on a different team for the reasons I've stated over the last 6+ months.  Having said that we did what we had to do to help our team.  Less salary, picks in the future, no more wondering what will happen this summer as I don't see him coming back thanks to this clean split. 

2nd I truly hope he has a great end of the year, explodes in the playoffs and proves doubters like me that thought his talent and effort were always overated wrong.  He has done well by his family already making a small fortune thanks to the goodwill of the Hurricanes.  I hope his class on and off the ice continue and look forward to seeing the Cane's move onward and upward.

From what I've heard on Saarela, he's not equal to a 3rd round pick. In hindsight, he would be more of a mid-late first, but dropped due to bad production in his draft year and concussion issues. But his production has been much better this season, especially after his good WJC. Listed at 5 11, but 194 lbs so he's well built. Good goal scorer and plays with a lot of energy.

I will say this. So far Francis and his team have been very good at finding talent and drafting. Aho is looking better and better all the time, McKeown is having a great year, and more. This speaks well to having the picks, (especially this year, in a deep draft) but also the evaluation of Saarela. SD makes a good point about scouting JR's and the Finns.

Also, look for more picks for Versteeg and JML and maybe others.

I would really love to see Francis package some of those picks to move up.

The return was a complete joke.  2 2nd's and a prospect.  I hope this prospect is really really really good!

..or the joke may be on NYR.  Hope not, but we'll see.

Edited by Manwolf

The return was a complete joke.  2 2nd's and a prospect.  I hope this prospect is really really really good!

And wait 8 more weeks and the return is ZERO.  This is on JR.  Lucky Eric didn't "Whitney" us.  To E.'s credit, he agreed to the trade. 

This whole thing was surreal.  We were driving to the game and my phone hit an indication.  The wife says, "Maybe that's E. being traded."  I said, "Nah, it is gmail."  But the phone was in my pocket and I was driving so head's up and hands on the wheel.

When we pulled in and parked, took a look at the phone and I was shocked.

You know, I get it and I think this had to happen.  I'm not sure RF could afford waiting if he had a solid offer which -- unlike bluedevil -- I think is a fair return.  But it still stinks for the fans.  Some where happy, some were P.O.'d.  There is a real mix of reactions on this, and I think hag got it right at the post at the top of this page.

Now as for the ultra short bench that occurred during the game, probably due partly to a Versteeg trade, well dang, I felt pretty badly cheated for the price of my ticket.  Maybe that's the price of "blowing it up."    Getting some shrapnel and collateral damage is not fun.

..... I felt pretty badly cheated for the price of my ticket.  Maybe that's the price of "blowing it up."    Getting some shrapnel and collateral damage is not fun.

Nah, PNC was the place to be given Eric's exit.  I'm all in favor of change, but it was a real downer for the team.  All understandable.

Here's a bunch of media reaction per my nhl trade rumors.

Most seem to think that Eric likely limited options tying Francis's hands a bit. But given that, we got a good return, one even calling it a "haul". Saarela does seem to be a much better prospect than 3rd round.

Renaud Lavoie: “Obviously Hurricanes wanted more for Eric Staal. Fact that Staal wanted to play only for the NYR, if traded, didn’t help.”

Andy Strickland: “Eric Staal a big name but his play has been less than desired, one goal in 19 games. Leads #NHLcanes forwards in ice time. Very unimpressive”

Craig Button: ” Aleksi Saarela is a very good prospect. High IQ, makes plays. Quick & plays & executes at high pace. Versatile. Competes.”

Mike Halford: “Saarela’s had a really good year in Finland at age 19, so his stock is probably higher than a 3rd-rounder now.”

Miika Arponen: “Saarela is 10th in the Finnish Liiga in goals/60 min. Two spots behind fellow Canes prospect Aho. ”

Joe Yerdon: “Aleksi Saarela looked like a pretty solid player in Lake Placid last summer and at WJC. He and Sebastian Aho gives CAR a Finnish duo punch.”

Joe Haggerty: “That’s a haul for an Eric Staal well on the back nine. 2 second round picks and a prospect? Great trade market for selling teams”

David Johnson: “I’ll be curious to see if Staal’s offensive production returns going to a team that isn’t a puck-possession focused team.”

David Johnson: “Eric Staal’s 5v5 offensive production is surprisingly bad this year.”

Anthony Petrielli: “It wouldn’t be a trade deadline if the Rangers didn’t acquire an aging star who is past his prime and would only waive his NTC to go there.”

Bottom line, as others have noted, was that Eric wanted more term than RF was willing to give, as he said toward the end of his presser. That's the epitome of sticking to the plan.

I'm excited any time players who know each other and have played together get the same chance for us. We're seeing the benefits of that with Rask and Lindy, so the idea of Aho and Saarela eventually being on this roster together is exciting. Whether it actually happens who knows, but I have to think their familiarity was at least a small factor in RF's decision-making process.

And wait 8 more weeks and the return is ZERO. This is on JR. Lucky Eric didn't "Whitney" us. To E.'s credit, he agreed to the trade.

This whole thing was surreal. We were driving to the game and my phone hit an indication. The wife says, "Maybe that's E. being traded." I said, "Nah, it is gmail." But the phone was in my pocket and I was driving so head's up and hands on the wheel.

When we pulled in and parked, took a look at the phone and I was shocked.

You know, I get it and I think this had to happen. I'm not sure RF could afford waiting if he had a solid offer which -- unlike bluedevil -- I think is a fair return. But it still stinks for the fans. Some where happy, some were P.O.'d. There is a real mix of reactions on this, and I think hag got it right at the post at the top of this page.

Now as for the ultra short bench that occurred during the game, probably due partly to a Versteeg trade, well dang, I felt pretty badly cheated for the price of my ticket. Maybe that's the price of "blowing it up." Getting some shrapnel and collateral damage is not fun.

The return was a joke from the fact that we didn't get a roster player in return. The team is close to playoff contention and we got 3 year in the future assets. Aleski still has one more year in Finland.

It's not like we are a team that attracts big name free agents or can afford to outbid the big teams. Our O is gonna lack for a while. From GMRF's comments Eric more than likely won't be back.

The return was a joke from the fact that we didn't get a roster player in return. The team is close to playoff contention and we got 3 year in the future assets. Aleski still has one more year in Finland.

It's not like we are a team that attracts big name free agents or can afford to outbid the big teams. Our O is gonna lack for a while. From GMRF's comments Eric more than likely won't be back.

No they are not close to playoff contention.