The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

The great E Staal Has Been Traded Thread

I can buy the "no numbers exchanged" if they are talking about official offers or counter offers.  I think it is LOL worthy to think that they have not discussed terms.

Well maybe it was:

Staals Agent: "So, we'll need 7 years, close to the same money and of course the NTC".

Francis: "He's going to need to take a substancial cut, closer to 5 years and no NTC."

Staals Agent: "What are your thoughts on Cam?"

Edited by remkin

Staals Agent: "So, we'll need 7 years, close to the same money and of course the NTC".

Them's there those "parameters".

One take in Puckdaddy on what Staal should be worth. Way lower than he probably gets is my main comment.

I still think he at least gets a slight bump over Jordan in the mid $6 million range, but this does give some context:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/what-would-you-pay-eric-staal---trending-topics-145516205.html

I have said it over and over 5 mill.  More than that is paying him on feelings not accomplishments or projected accomplishments.  Remkin I am surprised your looking past the numbers and that's what he is worth.

If you only go back 5 or so years, good luck trying to remember Staal being a one man force to (1) win a big game that mattered (2) get us in the playoffs by force of will alone (see 2002 team if as reference to what effort can achieve).  All the time that was not occurring he was one of the very highest paid players in the league. 

When I think of Eric I see the following from my season seats:

(1) he has taken many silly penalties at times that hurt us dearly over the last 5 years some you would expect a rookie to take

(2) a guy that glides down the ice often rather than pumping his legs to actually accomplish something

(3) someone that does not make clever passes to make his line better ALWAYS

(4) someone that shows to the world he hates to lose and wont tolerate poor efforts. 

I could go on and on.  $6 million + is wasted money based on the facts and his track record.  Period.  That's not from the heart its from watching the team.  I would rather have another down year next year than pay a non-leading captain more money for a half-hearted effort, silly penalties, and play that doesn't make others better.  Glenn Wesley was diving in front of pucks when we had years it looked like we may not make 60 points.  That's captain material.  He needs to be moved, and I am betting RF who certainly knows what a true captain may look like will either allow him to move on OR make certain the highest paid person on his team is a real captain who brings it 3 periods every night.  Ask Ty Conklin what constant effort looks like as he saw the wrong side of it from Rod Brind'Amour in 06. :boxing:

One take in Puckdaddy on what Staal should be worth. Way lower than he probably gets is my main comment.

I still think he at least gets a slight bump over Jordan in the mid $6 million range, but this does give some context:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/what-would-you-pay-eric-staal---trending-topics-145516205.html

(1) he has taken many silly penalties at times that hurt us dearly 

Not just silly penalties, lazy penalties, and most of them stick penalties (trip, slash in particular, but hook and x-check too).

There are two reasons guys take stick penalties: laziness, and unwillingness to make (if not downright fear of) body contact. It's really very simple: Use your stick to disrupt your opponent and you're in the box. Use the body - as the aggressor - instead, and you generally control both him and the biscuit.

One thing I will say Eric does very well (and no sarcasm intended): Draw penalties. He has since he got in the league, and the refs still bite every time. Here's hoping we see more of it this season, and the PP to make them count. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Well I'm just trying to estimate what the market would be. I could be wrong, but if he bounces back this year at all, there will be a market for him. Guys get overpaid in UFA generally, though this year has been more mixed. Unless he has a bad year, he gets $6-7 million from someone on the open market.

I'm just doubting he signs for that $5 million AAV here. He would go to UFA. In that case, if we end up unwilling to go higher than $5 million, we better hope he lets us trade him.

Edited by remkin

. . . 

Glenn Wesley was diving in front of pucks when we had years it looked like we may not make 60 points. 

Heck, Liles did that several times last year.  I'm not nominating him for captain, just pointing out a more recent example . . . 

5 mil a year?  cmon, now thats thinking with your feelings.  Anger, frustration so lets punish him by way under paying him.  Eric will have a bounce back year and he's worth every bit of 6.5mi,   I'd bet every GM in the league would agree on that too. Lets not forget that the last two years we went thru an unliked coach by the team(Muller), The Semin fall out, the blown out knee, etc.....   Now I know there are just to many excuses but 70plus points on an average year is worth well more than 5mil. 

Also take a minute to look through Ron Francis's career numbers.   90-91 he scored low, 98-99 he scored low, 00,01 he scored low.  similar to Staals "low" years with only fifty something points those years in full seasons.   He knows how hard a hockey career is, and he knows that Staal can and will bounce back, or at least he's gonna give him a chance before they talk numbers.

90-91 Francis scored low?  Ron Francis had 87 points that year in total and played for two teams.  Not sure what you mean here.

98-99 he scored low...  errr you mean in his 18th year he only got 52 points off 21 goals?  this is Eric Staals 12th year.  So you mean a player 6 years longer in the league still scored as well as he did last year?

00,01 he scored low...hrmm.  So in RF's 20th year he only got 65 points... and that's low?  I don't even know how to respond to that.  Except to say this is what I mean by thinking with the heart not the numbers or the head.  Ron Francis who is one of the all-timer leaders in the NHL in assists was also a Selke award winner which people forget.  That's partly why he is a true hall of famer.  He played both sides of the ice 3 periods a game every game for over 20 years.  I think its very unfair to expect of Eric to be that caliber player as those are very rare players.  I get that.  BUT I don't think RF' was ever top 5 in the league in salary (maybe someone can track that down) and Eric was. 

Eric seems like a great human being and a very good hockey player - but his body of work is not deserving of his past salary or that kind of money moving forward.  I'm not the only one that feels that way either:  http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/what-would-you-pay-eric-staal---trending-topics-145516205.html

I would love to be wrong and maybe I will be.  History doesn't seem to imply that in this case however.

5 mil a year?  cmon, now thats thinking with your feelings.  Anger, frustration so lets punish him by way under paying him.  Eric will have a bounce back year and he's worth every bit of 6.5mi,   I'd bet every GM in the league would agree on that too. Lets not forget that the last two years we went thru an unliked coach by the team(Muller), The Semin fall out, the blown out knee, etc.....   Now I know there are just to many excuses but 70plus points on an average year is worth well more than 5mil. 

Also take a minute to look through Ron Francis's career numbers.   90-91 he scored low, 98-99 he scored low, 00,01 he scored low.  similar to Staals "low" years with only fifty something points those years in full seasons.   He knows how hard a hockey career is, and he knows that Staal can and will bounce back, or at least he's gonna give him a chance before they talk numbers.

Dude, no disrespect, but Muller was not disliked by the team. He won over the yutes almost immediately, and they played his system. Unfortunately he WAS hated by one guy - Staal - for having the chutzpah to say "Eric belongs on the wing." Now that another coach (and the GM) are saying the same thing, it's funny how Eric suddenly "wants to be a part of the solution."

I'll be the first to admit (reluctantly, because I am still confident he will be a very good coach in this league before long) that Kirk was not ready for the job. But you also have to look at the limits placed on him, and be honest about how the team perceived him. Muller was brought into a situation where the GM controlled who played where, protected his franchise player from any accountability whatsoever, and spent money like a drunken sailor on players whose value was nowhere close to what he was paying (renewing Semin after essentially half a decent season, despite his reputation for disappearing once he had a long-term deal? Really?). To make matters worse, JR did all this for (to?) a franchise that counts on winning to fill the building, and to pay the bills.

But Kirk won over the kids, and did so pretty early. So saying he was not liked is a stretch at best. Even if it were true, it ignores one key point: Players don't have to like their coach. They have to respect him. Muller wanted E on the wing, E cried to JR, Muller lost that battle. And once a player is permitted circumvent the coach, the coach has lost all his power.

And it wasn't the last two years that Kirk was here. BP was here all last year, and Eric was served notice that he had to step up. Does his performance of last year really look anything like "stepping up" to you?

Bottom line: Tweedle Dum has already found another gig, in Pittsburgh. If Tweedle Dee wants to stay, it's time to BE part of the solution, to follow orders, to play where you're told and how you're told - not just say the right things when the mics and lights are on. RF is now in the process of finding out whether Eric will (can still) do that, and if he not, I believe RF will gladly let him go if he expects one penny over whatever RF feels he is worth TO THIS TEAM, and will equally gladly let other GMs fight over him.

Sometimes a guys gets too comfortable. I think that's what happened to Eric. All that remains is to see whether he can still play like he's playing for his job - because I seriously think that's his current status, in RF's mind.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I was just about to post this article. Glad you put it up. I think this article is very fair and the assessment pretty spot on. Even the author, Lambert (who usually ticks me off), mentions Staal is worth slightly north of the comparables because of intangibles. If you look purely at numbers, Staal was NEVER an $8 mil/per guy.......ever. Comparables ptu him around $5mil....he's probably worth $6mil-ish. Next problem. How do you "award" your captain a $2mil/yr pay cut and have him save face with the team, league, rookies, etc??

Dude, no disrespect, but Muller was not disliked by the team. He won over the yutes almost immediately, and they played his system. Unfortunately he WAS hated by one guy - Staal - for having the chutzpah to say "Eric belongs on the wing." Now that another coach (and the GM) are saying the same thing, it's funny how Eric suddenly "wants to be a part of the solution."

I'll be the first to admit (reluctantly, because I am still confident he will be a very good coach in this league before long) that Kirk was not ready for the job. But you also have to look at the limits placed on him, and be honest about how the team perceived him. Muller was brought into a situation where the GM controlled who played where, protected his franchise player from any accountability whatsoever, and spent money like a drunken sailor on players whose value was nowhere close to what he was paying (renewing Semin after essentially half a decent season, despite his reputation for disappearing once he had a long-term deal? Really?). To make matters worse, JR did all this for (to?) a franchise that counts on winning to fill the building, and to pay the bills.

But Kirk won over the kids, and did so pretty early. So saying he was not liked is a stretch at best. Even if it were true, it ignores one key point: Players don't have to like their coach. They have to respect him. Muller wanted E on the wing, E cried to JR, Muller lost that battle. And once a player is permitted circumvent the coach, the coach has lost all his power.

And it wasn't the last two years that Kirk was here. BP was here all last year, and Eric was served notice that he had to step up. Does his performance of last year really look anything like "stepping up" to you?

Bottom line: Tweedle Dum has already found another gig, in Pittsburgh. If Tweedle Dee wants to stay, it's time to BE part of the solution, to follow orders, to play where you're told and how you're told - not just say the right things when the mics and lights are on. RF is now in the process of finding out whether Eric will (can still) do that, and if he not, I believe RF will gladly let him go if he expects one penny over whatever RF feels he is worth TO THIS TEAM, and will equally gladly let other GMs fight over him.

Sometimes a guys gets too comfortable. I think that's what happened to Eric. All that remains is to see whether he can still play like he's playing for his job - because I seriously think that's his current status, in RF's mind.

Ok, well i got that from Larose telling me personally that that was the case(team did not like him at all for various reasons personally and on the ice) as well as Cam Wards exit interview that hinted at that and Staal too, Also, Karamanos son couldn't stand him and quit or was fired over not liking Muller(more inside info I got about a dinner that went really bad arguing over Muller and JK was canned shortly after).  I'm not trying to get into a argument about why or whether or  not Larose or Ward or Staal were important enough to have opinions that matter, but overall it just felt and seemed that way.  Oh yeah, and than RF's first plan of business was to can him.  I agree with most of what your saying, I was just making a point that E. Staals career cannot be defined and judged by the last two years, there have been a lot of things going on with this horrible team.  And my main point was that even after all the bad things are listed, he is still worth more than 5mil a year. Once again, I agree he has looked horrible for long stretches of the last couple seasons and I agree completely with RF not sigining him to anything yet and him def taking a big pay cut. 

Glad this topic has gone into this area of discussion.

I've watched hockey since I was a kid in the 60s, but only casually.  Due to Bill Wirtz's boneheaded decision to take the Hawks off TV, I lost my connection to hockey for many years while living in Chicago.  (Notice what happened after his son took over: Q.E.D.)  But I digress.

The point is I reconnected as a virtual newbie after the Canes came to town.  I remember this so darn well...  I remember telling my wife that RF was a complete wimp for all those tip-in goals.  She was a newbie too, but was listening to people and said, "Hey wxray, I'm not so sure..."

So, I learned.  I learned that what RF was doing in his final years year was hard work.  Those tip-ins were not "gimmes."  They were damn hard!

Fast foward to E.  Do we ever see him in front of the net?  Barely.  Do we see him pout?  Yes.  What does he want to be?  Center.

Well, darn it.  Act like one, then!

90-91 Francis scored low?  Ron Francis had 87 points that year in total and played for two teams.  Not sure what you mean here.

98-99 he scored low...  errr you mean in his 18th year he only got 52 points off 21 goals?  this is Eric Staals 12th year.  So you mean a player 6 years longer in the league still scored as well as he did last year?

00,01 he scored low...hrmm.  So in RF's 20th year he only got 65 points... and that's low?  I don't even know how to respond to that.  Except to say this is what I mean by thinking with the heart not the numbers or the head.  Ron Francis who is one of the all-timer leaders in the NHL in assists was also a Selke award winner which people forget.  That's partly why he is a true hall of famer.  He played both sides of the ice 3 periods a game every game for over 20 years.  I think its very unfair to expect of Eric to be that caliber player as those are very rare players.  I get that.  BUT I don't think RF' was ever top 5 in the league in salary (maybe someone can track that down) and Eric was. 

Eric seems like a great human being and a very good hockey player - but his body of work is not deserving of his past salary or that kind of money moving forward.  I'm not the only one that feels that way either:  http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/what-would-you-pay-eric-staal---trending-topics-145516205.html

I would love to be wrong and maybe I will be.  History doesn't seem to imply that in this case however.

Look up most NHL stars careers and you will see that they had a year or two here and there where their production dropped big time.   In the big picture if E. Staal goes on to score 80plus 5 out of the next 6 years than the last two years will just be the low point of his career and  not necessarily define his career.   I agree he has sucked for stretches over the last two years and is not worth anything near 9mil right now.   I do believe if he puts up 65points this year that most teams would gladly take him off our hands for 7mil.  5mil is a bit extreme and ;unrealisitic.   i'm not thinking with my "feelings" as you suggest.  I know exactly who E. Staal is and has been and is capable of.  I'm also aware that this is it for him, if he doesn't come out determined, working hard, and scoring a bunch than he's not really worth anything to us anymore.  

Look up most NHL stars careers and you will see that they had a year or two here and there where their production dropped big time.   In the big picture if E. Staal goes on to score 80plus 5 out of the next 6 years than the last two years will just be the low point of his career and  not necessarily define his career.   I agree he has sucked for stretches over the last two years and is not worth anything near 9mil right now.   I do believe if he puts up 65points this year that most teams would gladly take him off our hands for 7mil.  5mil is a bit extreme and ;unrealisitic.   i'm not thinking with my "feelings" as you suggest.  I know exactly who E. Staal is and has been and is capable of.  I'm also aware that this is it for him, if he doesn't come out determined, working hard, and scoring a bunch than he's not really worth anything to us anymore.  

I'll take whatever bet you'd like to make that Eric Staal does not score 80 points in five of the next six years.

I know your info re Muller was from older players and that you agree with what I said about the youth buying in. I just want to note that the reason RF's first order of biz was canning Muller was due to Eric and JR's conspiring to undermine his authority in the room. As I said, once that happens, it's all over. It is shameful that Eric, getting the paychecks he was, was also so demanding and such a GM's pet (to revert completely to Jr. High language!), and that he used that relationship to make Muller's first coaching job nightmarish. It is equally shameful that JR's son did, too, and I'm (still) elated he's gone.

As for Chad, no surprise. The self-described "top six forward" who parlayed one amazing year in juniors into an NHL career that lasted about three years longer than it should have. The egotist who we continued to coddle with last year's PTO. I love the energy and effort Chad brought to every shift, and I told him so personally - but I don't care who you are, you don't get to ditch your exit interview and then come back. As he now has learned, the hard way.

For what these guys are making, I would clean PNC restrooms if told to, and with a huge smile on my face. Instead they complain about where and how much they play and the system their coach - their BOSS - tells them to play, and in so doing they sabotaged a young coach who did exactly what JR told us he was brought in to do: Connect and work with a youthful team so they would play the right way.

Something our entitled, childish vets haven't done for years, and if they aren't waking up now, they never will. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Top, no offense but your last post suggests to me that your indicating you are an insider to what goes on in the "room".

Please share where your info comes from suggesting Staal conspired to sabotage Muller's tenure here? 

I sat through Muller's career here, and quite frankly and from my seat, he sucked himself out of that job all by himself.  He did have help from his assistants (particularly one of them).

Edited by coastal_caniac

Glad this topic has gone into this area of discussion.

I've watched hockey since I was a kid in the 60s, but only casually.  Due to Bill Wirtz's boneheaded decision to take the Hawks off TV, I lost my connection to hockey for many years while living in Chicago.  (Notice what happened after his son took over: Q.E.D.)  But I digress.

The point is I reconnected as a virtual newbie after the Canes came to town.  I remember this so darn well...  I remember telling my wife that RF was a complete wimp for all those tip-in goals.  She was a newbie too, but was listening to people and said, "Hey wxray, I'm not so sure..."

So, I learned.  I learned that what RF was doing in his final years year was hard work.  Those tip-ins were not "gimmes."  They were damn hard!

Fast foward to E.  Do we ever see him in front of the net?  Barely.  Do we see him pout?  Yes.  What does he want to be?  Center.

Well, darn it.  Act like one, then!

Ding!

I watched the Flyers as a kid, way more than casually: My dad and bunch of his work buddies went in on season tix, and we went most Sunday nights during the "Broad Street Bullies" years. (Dad grew up dirt poor in Chicago and snuck into Hawks games back in the 30s and 40s.) 

One of the players we Flyers fans most reviled was Bruins captain Phil Esposito, who would simply park himself in the slot and "collect garbage." Thing is, though he made it look easy, it's just like you said: Not. I've played the game most of my life, many years as a center, and until you've staked out that turf and tried to hold it, it is impossible to understand what repeated crosschecks to the back (and upper arm, and chest) feel like, let alone what it takes to play through them and set screens and tip pucks. I was mediocre at it, at best. It is arguably the toughest job in hockey. It is also the most necessary, and that's why guys who can do it well get paid so well. Guys like RF and Roddy and Espo.

It's the money we've flushed down the toilet on Eric Staal, who has never done it consistently, that makes me crazy.

Of course, the Flyers had a pretty decent little center/captain themselves, one Robert Earle Clarke. Dirtiest player I've ever seen. But he found a way, and he got the job done. His patented move was the "sneak attack," where he'd take the puck behind the opposition's net and fake back there until the keeper was dizzy from trying to figure out where he'd go. By the time he did, it was too late: the puck was behind him.

Like you, I got away from hockey fandom for many years. In my case it was largely because of Clarke, who became the Flyers' GM. He was every bit as dirty in that position as he ever was on the ice, and you only need to ask Eric Lindros if you doubt it. Also, Flyers fans are whiners. Everything's the refs' fault. Fights are (still) what it's all about. (Grow up, already!) But when I moved here to NC, some Flyer exiles that I'd seen in a few games before moving were now here: Roddy, JWilly, Recchi, later Seidenberg. Carolina hockey is good hockey, and Carolina fans are awesome. We just need a Captain who will either play like one or get out of the way.

Top, no offense but your last post suggests to me that your indicating you are an insider to what goes on in the "room".

And no offense taken - but danimal's doesn't?

Rather than claim I've had conversations with players on topics which no (smart) player is going to openly discuss with any fan, I look at the evidence and at behavior.

In this case, one only needs to look at Eric's play and attitude.

I believe we've already agreed on this board that Eric's consistent play at center during Muller's tenure was due to JR's insistence that he play there. Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall there being documentation of it, and of Eric's insider relationship with JR. And we all well know that center is not where Peters and RF see him as being most effective.

The undermining I'm referring to is not a purposeful undermining, but what resulted of JR's intervention with Muller on Eric's behalf. As in any other management situation, you can't have one superior telling an employee where and how they will work, if that employee knows he can go crying to someone higher up and have his immediate supervisor's direction negated. Once that happens, the first manager - in this case the coach - has been neutered.

All one needs to look at is how the yutes played for Muller. They worked, hard--and progressed. The vets never did.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Danimal provided a source.  I was asking you to provide yours.  Both can be equally dismissed.

Thanks for clarifying you don't have an inside source. 

I don't agree with your assertion that one only has to look at Staal's play and attitude to come to the conclusion he was in cahoots with JR to get Muller fired, as you originally suggested. There's no evidence to support that, unless you come up with it?

I also don't agree that the "board" has make some unanimous decision that JR insisted Staal play center.  That's the first I've read of that.

Bottom line, I hate to see this conversation drag players through the mud unnecessarily with hearsay, supposition, and conspiracy theory.  That's the impression I get reading some of these types of posts.  Others may feel differently.

That's about all I have to say, so I'll shut up and let this play out.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Danimal provided a source.  I was asking you to provide yours.  Both can be equally dismissed.

Thanks for clarifying you don't have an inside source.

I don't agree with your assertion that one only has to look at Staal's play and attitude to come to the conclusion he was in cahoots with JR to get Muller fired, as you originally suggested.

I also don't agree that the "board" has make some unanimous decision that JR insisted Staal play center.

Bottom line, let's not let the conversation drag players through the mud on hearsay and supposition.

I'll thank you to stop assigning to me words I never used, i.e., "unanimous" and "to get Muller fired." I never "originally suggested" any such thing, as you will see if you read the post. I made clear - in two posts - that once JR intervened on Eric's behalf, showing others that the coach's authority over player assignments was absolute, Muller no longer had power. That the yutes followed him anyway, I believe, speaks volumes.

Tomorrow I will sift through past conversations here and on-the-record statements of team officials and players in hopes of locating what my memory is telling me was a confirmation that JR had meddled with Muller on Eric's behalf. If/when I find that info - and, I'll just add, even if I don't - I want to be clear: neither verified information nor the conclusions I reach based on observed behavior have anything to do, at least for me, with dragging anybody through the mud. My sole concern is identifying players who can help this team win hockey games - and calling out those who serially have not.

I hold no personal malice toward Eric. I also, however, won't give anyone making the kind of money he is to do very specific things a pass when they fail to do them.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I believe we've already agreed on this board that Eric's consistent play at center during Muller's tenure was due to JR's insistence that he play there.

"Unanimous"

I just want to note that the reason RF's first order of biz was canning Muller was due to Eric and JR's conspiring to undermine his authority in the room. As I said, once that happens, it's all over. It is shameful that Eric, getting the paychecks he was, was also so demanding and such a GM's pet (to revert completely to Jr. High language!), and that he used that relationship to make Muller's first coaching job nightmarish. It is equally shameful that JR's son did, too, and I'm (still) elated he's gone.

"The Conspiracy That Led to the Firing of Sucky Head Coach Kirk Muller"

Yes, quotes are better.  But.  Others are free to disagree on what was their own perception of the intention of what's been posted, that makes it a discussion.  Pardon me for paraphrasing. 

For the record, I disagree with about 75% of what you post on Eric Staal :) , and your latest suppositions and "conspiring" (see above) theory are included. 

I'm looking forward to the season starting, the building will be full, and I think one thing everyone agrees on here, including us, is that his potential new contract is performance based, and not on something else.

Coastal

Edited by coastal_caniac

"Unanimous"

Perhaps you took my use of "we've" as including you and everyone else on this board. If so, it was not meant that way. "We've agreed on this board" is not the same as "everyone on this board has agreed." Anyone who is regularly here knows you and several others do not, so your attempt to paint my words as inferring "unanimous agreement" just leaves me wondering what's to be gained, in terms of advancing the discussion by doing so.

As for this: The Conspiracy That Led to the Firing of Sucky Head Coach Kirk Muller

...it's a poor paraphrase - because it wasn't Muller who sucked. IMO, of course.  :) But in Eric's too: The below is from an in-depth piece in Walter magazine from March of 2013:

In the locker room after a recent practice, Staal smiles. He doesn’t recall anybody telling him it was fine if he stopped scoring. “It was more along the lines of – if you do the right things, play the right way, that takes care of itself,” Staal said. “I think he really brought some of that. His energy and his attitude has rubbed off on us, and that’s what you want.”

A year later, Eric's (and, to be fair, the rest of the team's) performance was mediocre (again) - and another head coach was the fall guy.

Finally, on this: "I'm looking forward to the season starting, the building will be full, and I think one thing everyone agrees on here, including us, is that his potential new contract is performance based, and not on something else."

...yes. Total agreement.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Top, I just wanted to clear up that your statements that Staal conspired with JR to undermine Muller was just your assertion.  And that's fine, that's your prerogative.

However, you stated it like you had some inside info to support your claim (which you don't), and it was a given fact (when clearly it's not).

Thanks.

Edited by coastal_caniac

How could any player look to the bench and see Muller in a catatonic stupor and be encouraged? I don't think it was a conspiracy of any kind that got Muller fired. I think it was Muller being in over his head and Dave "Stick Check" Lewis didn't help either.