The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

The great E Staal Has Been Traded Thread

He'll be a lot easier to trade near the deadline because of the way the Cap works.  For those not familiar with it, basically teams "accumulate" whatever extra cap space they have throughout the season. And a new player only counts against the team for that portion of the season he plays for them, so near the deadline the Canes will have already eaten a good portion of E's Cap hit.  

It's not this years cap some teams are worried about,it's next years cap. Do they offer up strictly draft picks or do they offer a player now and a draft pick.

It's not this years cap some teams are worried about,it's next years cap. Do they offer up strictly draft picks or do they offer a player now and a draft pick.

Since he's a UFA he's basically a rental at this point and next year is kind of moot (unless a team is talking sign and trade, which would surprise me).

Since he's a UFA he's basically a rental at this point and next year is kind of moot (unless a team is talking sign and trade, which would surprise me).

Agree, whatever we get for Eric at the TD is in consideration of releasing him to play elsewhere. That's why the Flames got a first rounder and two college kids for Iginla. 

I think E goes to a contender this year (Pittsburgh would not surprise me one bit) and finishes his career in Toronto.

Agree, whatever we get for Eric at the TD is in consideration of releasing him to play elsewhere. That's why the Flames got a first rounder and two college kids for Iginla. 

I think E goes to a contender this year (Pittsburgh would not surprise me one bit) and finishes his career in Toronto.

I was going to say Nashville wouldn't surprise me either, but wasn't there some speculation of a whiny Eric running to JR because Lavi wasn't giving him minutes or power play time or something?  But yeah, Pittsburgh.  The Eric for Malkin thing, i agree, is a joke... but y'think JR would give us Malkin if Francis offered both Staals?  Ha!

I was going to say Nashville wouldn't surprise me either, but wasn't there some speculation of a whiny Eric running to JR because Lavi wasn't giving him minutes or power play time or something?  But yeah, Pittsburgh.  The Eric for Malkin thing, i agree, is a joke... but y'think JR would give us Malkin if Francis offered both Staals?  Ha!

Ha! is right. Ain't gonna happen.

But JR is all about his public persona, as this widely covered elevator exchange makes obvious. So I can totally see him bringing Eric to Pittsburgh in hopes that the Pens catch fire and win a Cup, if only in hopes that he can then say "nanner nanner."

Edited by top-shelf-1

Yup ain't gonna happen but as long as we are dreaming......both Staals for Stamkos.

I understand that but the point I was trying to make is that  with the salary cap likely to remain flat in coming years  That doesn't mean that every club could afford his cap hit and bear the assets to acquire him in trade, especially at a time when teams are being much more cognizant of the value of prospects and young players and bringing them along on cheap contracts. Teams are less inclined to trade long term assets for rentals.

Dan Rosen of NHL.com: Eric Staal has said that he won’t utilize is veto power of the no-movement clause if he feels that the Hurricanes don’t want him any longer. He hopes that he doesn’t have to consider it.

“I’ve been here my whole career and I’ve expressed interest to stay,” Staal said. “But if they want to go in a different direction then, hey man, that’s life, and you move forward and you go from there. But you have to come to an agreement and we haven’t even discussed anything like that yet."

I'm not sure he is exactly saying that, and even if he is, he can back down in private, but anyways at least Dan Rosen thinks E would waive if Francis is ready to move on.

Edited by remkin

I think Eric has seen the writing on the wall...if last night's 3rd period was any indication.

I will say that last night showed a frustrated E.Staal...and I liked it! He put a perfect hit on Gionta, which was targeting our guys. He needs to play with that kind of grit more often but it might be a little to late. On the other hand, Lack did not look good but the defense sure looked lost in front of him too.

Edited by Caniac5

I will say that last night showed a frustrated E.Staal...and I liked it! He put a perfect hit on Gionta, which was targeting our guys. He needs to play with that kind of grit more often but it might be a little to late. On the other hand, Lack did not look good but the defense sure looked lost in front of him too.

After reading E.'s "hey man" quote, all I could think of was "hey man, nice shot!"

It was great.  It was also Eric's once-every-82-games show of grit.

I read that Columbus is trying to unload him. I don't remember where I read it though. I have no idea what this deal would look like but it could be close to a like for like deal if Columbus really is trying to unload him and shake things up.

Ah, yes. I read that too. But you have to remember, Staal has a NTC and would have to approve the trade. I don't see Staal waiving his NTC to go to Columbus, but you never know.....

Everyone in the section at the game liked Angry E.  First time I heard people giving him respect in a long time.

That really is all it comes down too, why Gerbe is liked, why Chad was liked, why Malone is liked.  And they don't have anything resembling the tools necessary to be a great hockey player

People want to see passion.  Positive, negative...  Evidence you have a heart ticking in there.  If you don't care about success why should we care about you?

Edited by hag65

Neither Eric or Jordan have ever shown they feed off each other playing on the same team. At last nights Devils debacle, Jordan was, incredibly at 6'4" 225lbs, unnoticed the entire game.  How can that be possible???  Skinner as usual has complete fear of being hit, Lindholm was invisible and on it goes. You know the thing I notice the most is how the Canes refuse to be a checking team.  They NEVER finish their checks by following through and hitting their man, they just tap him and turn and go.  We  have way to many players who could play a full game with a dozen eggs in their pants and not break one of them.  And keep in mind this team really is not the fast/quick skating team they try to bill themselves as.  They're average. I really think chemistry is badly, badly lacking on this team, guys just show up to practice or games and then head off into the night. And that all starts with Eric at the top. He's an introvert and its killing the team. Man, we're brutal.

. I really think chemistry is badly, badly lacking on this team, guys just show up to practice or games and then head off into the night. And that all starts with Eric at the top. He's an introvert and its killing the team. Man, we're brutal.

We're not in the room, so we don't know for sure.  But your "head off into the night" quote triggered something in me.

Remember the "Friesen 5k?"  It became the "Canes 5k".  Back in '06 and '07,. the event had an awesome feel to it.  The players participated, actually ran.  Yeah, Brindy probably ruined his career in that run.  That was unfortunate.  But, it was cool to hang with the guys.  They bonded with each other and the fans/runners.  Heck, even Commodore came back to run and hang out.

Then it changed, even before Friesen stopped organizing it.  Maybe it was Brindy's blow out.  It is probably all for the best of the health of the players.  But I have to tell you one thing that just ruined it for me.  It was last year or the year before (either '14 or '13) where my leg was hurting and I had to walk.  So I'm walking the route, and organizers with walkie-talkies stopped us laggards.  The crackle on the radio said: "OK, the players are ready."  We stopped, and proceeded to watch 15 cars come racing out of the player parking area and "head off into the morning."  Some cars were fancy, others were modest.

But it struck me how they just showed and left like that.  There was no esprit de corp.  There was no connection to the community.  I know this is a volunteer thing for them too, but it almost seemed like I could have said: "Hey, sorry we bugged ya.  Sleep in next year, OK?" 

And to bring it back to this thread: E. wasn't there this year, but J. was.  Not that it matters much.  They could all sleep in as far as I'm concerned.  

What a difference from '06 when Laviolette came up to me and said: "How'd you do?"  I told him my time and he said, "Nice!  Now work harder to beat Friesen next year" or something like that.  Just cool as all heck.

Edited by wxray1

We went to " Skate with the Canes"in 06, and my son and I were the first two on the ice. We spent a lot of time talking with the players, and Whitney and Brindy were great with my 10 year old son. There used to be a very active thread about seeing the players around town, but I haven't seen it in a long while. These guys just don't seemed to be as involved or invested like the guys did years ago.

Well JR can get him and sign him to another long, expensive, NTC contract, so that makes him more valuable to him (sarcasm, sort of)

So I guess E would play wing? He would be a heck of a third line center.

I would think he would waive to go there though...

ran into both Comodore and Heddican having lunch.   both said it was great playing on the team and they thanked me for being a fan.

right now.  do not see the appreciation from the organization any more

The last time I can remember seeing any players out on the town was back in 2010.

Ran into Brind'Amour and Legace at an asian bistro, can't remember the name of the place in North Hills.

They were sitting a the bar. No body bothered them.

If JR wants Eric, he can have them. I heard that Kessel isn't gelling too well with Crosby, so another overblown ego in that locker-room might make it implode.

Edited by hopper915