The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

The great E Staal Has Been Traded Thread

There used to be a very active thread about seeing the players around town, but I haven't seen it in a long while. These guys just don't seemed to be as involved or invested like the guys did years ago.

You mean this one?  I remember that thread.

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/6943-player-sightings/?hl=player+sightings

1st round pick and good forward prospect minimum for Eric. I am hoping he is trading in a major multi player shake up deal though! Send Skinner with him while we're at it!

This better not be another Jussi Jokinen or Ray Whitney situation. One where we trade away a great player for a 3rd round pick and somehow retain salary in the process or 2 we just let Eric walk.

RF better not F this up.....

Edited by bluedevil58

1st round pick and good forward prospect minimum for Eric. I am hoping he is trading in a major multi player shake up deal though! Send Skinner with him while we're at it!

This better not be another Jussi Jokinen or Ray Whitney situation. One where we trade away a great player for a 3rd round pick and somehow retain salary in the process or 2 we just let Eric walk.

RF better not F this up.....

Saldy JR F'ed it up for him with that NTC.  Francis can do his best, but he isn't in control of his own destiny here...

Imo, both Staal brothers need to be traded.  Eric has done nothing this season to deserve the "C" on his jersey.  I understand that some people are down on Skinner, but I believe that he's struggling due to the lack of leadership from Staal.  I think that with the right leadership, on the ice, his game will open up and he'll become the scorer that everyone expects. 

I also believe that we need better off-the-ice leadership, i.e. it's time for a coaching change.  Peters shows very little emotion, nor is he animated, nor does he show any fire.  And the team exhibits the same characteristics in their play.  I believe that we need a coach with some fire who can better motivate these players to perform and for whom players will "run through a wall."  Peters ISN'T the guy.  He may be "hockey smart," but that doesn't necessarily translate into him being a successful Head Coach.  Being a great hockey mind is worthless, if you can't motivate your players.  I would suggest that a better coach is already behind our bench.  Roddy IS the guy we need.

Living in Montreal I watch all the Montreal games and there is 24 hour hockey talk on the radios and people often mention how they need a big winger for the top line to be able to push them over the hump and make the Stanley Cup finals this year (you will see tonight how good, fast they are).  

Staal's name gets mentioned and as much as I hate the Habs and the thought of him playing for this team bothers me, I think the Canes need to totally clean up shop and Montreal has a lot of young players that they should be interested in.

My trade is (of course Eric saying okay because of his NTC), Staal for Nathan Beaulieu, Michael McCarron and a pick.

I think Montreal may do this because they only lose 1 roster player.  Thoughts?

For me E. Staal's past salary is academic and if we were to re-sign him a new salary will be negotiated and I'm not that concerned what it will be, at least not yet.

I think the only question for RF and Co. is what is Eric Staal's importance to a rebuild. Do we see Staal as a player to build the team around over the next 3 years or at least as a key part of turning the franchise around. In short, does he fit in the rebuild down the road.

I believe E when he said he wants to be part of the turn around but his last interview showed a player that is frustrated, a creeping doubt that he is part of a plan and perhaps a little anger.

I think the decision of E's future as a Cane has already been made. We just don't know what that decision is.

Imo, both Staal brothers need to be traded.  Eric has done nothing this season to deserve the "C" on his jersey.  I understand that some people are down on Skinner, but I believe that he's struggling due to the lack of leadership from Staal.  I think that with the right leadership, on the ice, his game will open up and he'll become the scorer that everyone expects. 

I also believe that we need better off-the-ice leadership, i.e. it's time for a coaching change.  Peters shows very little emotion, nor is he animated, nor does he show any fire.  And the team exhibits the same characteristics in their play.  I believe that we need a coach with some fire who can better motivate these players to perform and for whom players will "run through a wall."  Peters ISN'T the guy.  He may be "hockey smart," but that doesn't necessarily translate into him being a successful Head Coach.  Being a great hockey mind is worthless, if you can't motivate your players.  I would suggest that a better coach is already behind our bench.  Roddy IS the guy we need.

Yeah, because he's done such a great job with our PP.

BP is the coach we need. Once we get this group going to net - or get rid of those who refuse - we'll start winning hockey games.

Yeah, because he's done such a great job with our PP.

BP is the coach we need. Once we get this group going to net - or get rid of those who refuse - we'll start winning hockey games.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about Brind'Amour, top. I'm sure that I'll get called out for being sacreligious for suggesting it, but I am not convinced that All-Star/Hall-of-Fame/near-Hall-of-Fame players are what we need in the front office or behind the bench in the long run.

I'll go so far as to admit that BP isn't a demonstrative coach behind the bench. I'll also admit that NHL coaches have to be as much (or more) motivators as they are teachers. That said, I don't see those two things as mutually-exclusive - one can motivate without using verbal pyrotechnics or over-the-top overreactions behind the bench. God forbid that every NHL coach become a Tortorella clone (shudder)....

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about Brind'Amour, top. I'm sure that I'll get called out for being sacreligious for suggesting it, but I am not convinced that All-Star/Hall-of-Fame/near-Hall-of-Fame players are what we need in the front office or behind the bench in the long run.

I'll go so far as to admit that BP isn't a demonstrative coach behind the bench. I'll also admit that NHL coaches have to be as much (or more) motivators as they are teachers. That said, I don't see those two things as mutually-exclusive - one can motivate without using verbal pyrotechnics or over-the-top overreactions behind the bench. God forbid that every NHL coach become a Tortorella clone (shudder)....

Right there with you, Jon, re BP. This isn't football (thank god). BP is working with a group of youngsters, trying to support them, teach them a proven system (Detroit's) and make them believe in themselves. After last night, I think it's pretty obvious his style is working, and that it's time to jettison the past and look to the future.

I do disagree about the GM piece, at least so far, with Ronnie. He has made only good moves thus far, and I think he wants to build something for the long term, and to win in a really bad way. I think Roddy wants to win too, but I don't think he's a head coach. I don't have a problem with him working on the PP, which is finally showing signs. And he has clearly helped with FO percentage, too, as Rask recently told Chuck K. But Roddy as a head coach? No thank you.

BP thinks the game, knows the Western conference, and has counseled RF on several good moves already (Nesty, Malone, Ryan, Morris, Versteeg). We've got our guy behind the bench. Now we just need a few more pieces on the ice.

I am still on the BP wagon and would give him next year as well (I think he has one more year on his contract).  I also agree with others that I wish he showed a little more emotion.  Roddie is a good guy but not sure he should be behind the bench - but lets be honest everyone how many assistant coaches throughout the league can you even name and then beyond that say what great/bad coaches they are?  Assistant coaches in the NHL are very anonymous people.  You just don't see/read about them.

As far as motivating players at the Pro level?  I don't see that as the coaches job.  Thats up to each player in their own way and then colle ctively as a team. If the money doesn't motivate you (think J. Staal) then a cheerleading coach isn't going to make any difference.  Sure, the coach can help to some degree (Firemans hat [duh]) but the real and only motivating tool a coach can use is called the Press Box.

They talked............

TSN

Neither Francis ‎nor Curran wanted to comment publicly, other than to indicate no doors have been opened or closed on either side and there's no timetable beyond "talking again sometime in the new year."

So "between Thanksgiving and Christmas" has moved to "after the New Year".

All we can do is guess what this means. Did Eric say something like.."yeah, I'm not ready to let you trade me yet. Maybe if we're out of it after the New Year. Maybe." ?

Who knows? That's basicaly what the article says. Who knows?

Edited by remkin

Given the family factor, maybe E doesn't want to deal with it until after Christmas?

That really could be Lake. Also, any delusions of being in it should be gone by then.

And it shouldnt be   played out in the media, does not need too... EStaal will either be here or gone, by trading deadline..