The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

How would you like your Game Day Thread?

18 members have voted

1. 1. Last year saw less involement of members starting game day threads. Would you prefer a different format? What format would increase your willingness to start one?

• Keep it the same. Love it.
    • Have moderators simply post brief game time info and let members pick it up.
    • using Michael's Smiths GD blog for game discuss
    • Let members sign up, but put a limit on length (say one or two paragraphs) so the job is not as intimidating
    • Other

We have maitained various forms of the game day thread over the years. It allows members to dive a bit deeper into the pre game buildup and the post game deconstruction of the game.

But, particularly as the team has struggled, interest in starting the threads has waned. It was a bit of a tooth pulling effort to get them started last year.

This board is for all of us, so we want to know what you think about your ideas and preferences for the format, and especially ways to generate more interest from board members in starting the threads.

This is presented as a poll just to calibrate the categories, but comments are allowed and encouraged.

Ideas? Thoughts?

What change might encourage you to start a GDT?

My two cents is not to make a standard format.  For example, my ridiculous Hag and the Big Guy threads are different, and some like it as a change-up to the standard template, and the deafening silence of some may be those who are not fans of it.

Regardless, this is supposed to be a pastime and not a job.  So I think we just need to encourage people to do whatever they want, and of course the readership can fill in whatever gaps they want.  I for one am just glad anyone does it, no matter what the format is.  

I would leave it alone.

Interest in GDT's ebb and flow with how the team is doing.

For the record, I loved Hag and the Big Guy.  It was creative and was a little different.  We shouldn't punish creativity.

Edited by coastal_caniac

This problem's bigger then GDT's in my opinion.

This board used to be tight knit enough that a yearly (sometimes twice a year) BBQ tailgate took place, lately I feel as though most posters would be perfectly fine beating each other to a pulp then sharing a beer. 

The way people pitch ideas around here in the past year has gotten more condescending, more personal attacks and overall less respect for each other.

If people can't stand each other, why would they want to make a GDT?

I personally know that when a guy named Greg was here that the admins took the route of letting the posters police their own problems because banning him was almost impossible. Since then posters have slowly pushed the card more and more into pissing in each others cheerios to get a point across rather then focusing on ever actually making a point. 

End of the day, clean up the board and make it a place to debate without insult or keep watching it go down the crapper.

This problem's bigger then GDT's in my opinion.

This board used to be tight knit enough that a yearly (sometimes twice a year) BBQ tailgate took place, lately I feel as though most posters would be perfectly fine beating each other to a pulp then sharing a beer. 

The way people pitch ideas around here in the past year has gotten more condescending, more personal attacks and overall less respect for each other.

If people can't stand each other, why would they want to make a GDT?

I personally know that when a guy named Greg was here that the admins took the route of letting the posters police their own problems because banning him was almost impossible. Since then posters have slowly pushed the card more and more into pissing in each others cheerios to get a point across rather then focusing on ever actually making a point. 

End of the day, clean up the board and make it a place to debate without insult or keep watching it go down the crapper.

You're wrong you @%$#^!! ;)

But seriously, I'd wager it's mostly a byproduct of (1) frustration built up from too many years of not being competitive. And (2) not perceiving the organization as being on course to correct (1).  I think it's going to be very hard to effect significant change until the underlying problems are fixed.  Hopefully the 2nd part is in progress which will lead to the first going away.

If you think this board is bad you should pop in on Toronto's sometime. Oh wait, they took it down because it got so ugly.  :P

p.s. I say this having missed the excitement that prompted several posts getting deleted the other day. :(

Edited by LakeLivin

I don't think we should limit the creativity of the GDT starters. I enjoy everyone's different take, but if someone only wants to post a couple paragraphs, that's fine with me.

On the topic of intimidation, I believe we have some of the most knowledgeable fans on these boards. I've only been following the Canes for about 4 years, and I don't understand all the X's and O's nor the business side of the team. I still can't tell at times if someone was in the right position on a play or not. This being said, I feel intimidated at times from posting on in-depth topics because I don't think I could add anything more than what has already been said by our very knowledgeable posters. I still read though because I enjoy all the different opinions, and at the same time I'm hoping to learn more about the game.

tl:dr - don't change a thing

I think you should pitch in regardless.  Go for it.  You can always contribute by asking questions you know.  Other people get the same answers.

On the topic, if I had it to do over I'd vote Other probably.  If nobody signs up, find a nice template that limits the mods commitment to having to do a large majority of the GDT's, otherwise it's free range to be creative.

On the boards overall, I mostly more than anything miss the funny stuff that used to go on around here. We could laugh at ourselves and be the better for it.  What happened?

Edited by coastal_caniac

I think you should pitch in regardless.  Go for it.  You can always contribute by asking questions you know.  Other people get the same answers.

On the topic, if I had it to do over I'd vote Other probably.  If nobody signs up, find a nice template that limits the mods commitment to having to do a large majority of the GDT's, otherwise it's free range to be creative.

On the boards overall, I mostly more than anything miss the funny stuff that used to go on around here. We could laugh at ourselves and be the better for it.  What happened?

I voted for using Mike's GDB, but along the lines of what coastal is saying, i.e., post it when nobody's signed up for a given game. That way, those who want to knock themselves out (or keep it simple, or whatever) can, but nobody's forced to scramble at the last minute to post something on nights nobody's signed up.

As to the attitude around here, things change, and not always for the better. But I like it here. Sure, we have our moments, but we're fans--and we're the diehards, because the bandwagon types disappeared about three years ago. So we're going to have pretty strong opinions, and I think that overall we express them pretty respectfully.

I think maybe it seemed like things were more fun here when the team was winning largely BECAUSE it was winning, as Lake suggests. I missed all the excitement the other day too (darn it!) but the fact that I did means the board is "cleaned up" pretty well already, and that there are clear lines in place.

I also want to take the opp to acknowledge all the mods. It's a thankless job, I've done it in other topic areas (including politics, ugh), and you all kick tail. Nice work!

Edited by top-shelf-1

Thought I'd chime in here...its nice to see that folks care enough to make thoughtful posts about this.

I haven't been able to be around much over the past year but Whaler, OBXer and Remkin have done a pretty amazing job of keeping things running smoothly.  Several of you said it and its 100% spot on, this board goes as the team goes and unfortunately things have not gone well for the team for a long time.

top shelf and others make good points about the attitude around here and the way folks treat each other.  You are the die hards that support this team through good and bad and although it make sense that some would be a little protective or defensive when new folks show up, it doesn't make sense to intimidate or push new posters away.

May I make a suggestion?.... the admins posted this thread for feedback and to give all of you a chance to help make this board what you want it to be.  They recognize that for the board to have good discussions and the camaraderie of a community (as has been in the past), the contributing members need to take some ownership.  No one can control the outcome of the team on the ice but everyone has the opportunity to control how they contribute and the tone they'd like to set for the discussions.

No one wants to be part of a community where members feel like they shouldn't participate, new members dont feel welcome and where folks feel the only way they're heard is to escalate attitudes and opinions.  Everyone here has the opportunity to censor themselves and make sure what they post is for the better of the community.  I promise none of you, including the staff, will be happy if the admins need to censor posts just to keep the peace.  Its really up to all of you.

That said, I will be happy to take responsibly for allowing the altercations with one particular member some time ago to continue for way too long. We work within a specific guideline of rules and admittedly it took too long to reach a final outcome in that particular case.  That mistake will not be made again.

Addressing the recent graphic and sign-in issues, support requests have been submitted multiple times and to multiple places including, the Canes, IPS and the NHL.  We are doing all we can but unfortunately since the season just started, we're not exactly high on the priority list.  We'll stay with it till gets fixed.

Gameday question....sounds like everyone wants to keep it as is giving anyone who would like to the opportunity to start a thread.  The thread starter should be allowed full creativity though its not required.  In the case that there no one is signed up, Michael Smith's pregame write up will be copied and pasted into the thread to get it started.  Does that about cover it?

Lastly, lets all hope the team surprises everyone and provides us all with an entertaining and competitive season.  Winning cures all....

I've been reading the boards regularly---but have been quiet all summer.

I love the GDT's, but have always hated starting them. Good option to use M.Smiths

to start if no one signs up.

Looking forward to a new season !  TSA- glad to see you back. I wondered where you went.

GO CANES  !!

I wanted to take a second and recognize Michael Smith as well.

I'm a big fan of what he's brought to the boards.

Great choice for an alternative in the poll.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Love the GDT's as they are, but admit to being woefully outclassed by the creativity and resourcefulness of all of you posters. Ashamed to admit it, but Lake for one knows my computer challenged limitations!! Thus when one of you mods approached me to ascertain my interest in trying to do a GDT, as much as I'd like to attempt, there is no way I could create or pull in the background info to bolster verbiage, the latter at which I'm most adept!

Thus I will continue to read every single word and response, while I cringe in the background at how these are accomplished.

Love the GDT's as they are, but admit to being woefully outclassed by the creativity and resourcefulness of all of you posters. Ashamed to admit it, but Lake for one knows my computer challenged limitations!! Thus when one of you mods approached me to ascertain my interest in trying to do a GDT, as much as I'd like to attempt, there is no way I could create or pull in the background info to bolster verbiage, the latter at which I'm most adept!

Thus I will continue to read every single word and response, while I cringe in the background at how these are accomplished.

Ditto 

Gameday question....sounds like everyone wants to keep it as is giving anyone who would like to the opportunity to start a thread.  The thread starter should be allowed full creativity though its not required.  In the case that there no one is signed up, Michael Smith's pregame write up will be copied and pasted into the thread to get it started.  Does that about cover it?

Lastly, lets all hope the team surprises everyone and provides us all with an entertaining and competitive season.  Winning cures all....

This sounds perfect.

I would just jump in here that this has been an excellent discussion. Frank, but respectful, well thought out posts and opinions. On that I would encourage people to keep their thoughts coming on this or other general board ideas.

I personally also enjoy reading members' takes and creativity in the pre game thread. It is unique in that there is a structure, and a specific task, but many ways to riff on that subject and bend the structure.

Michael Smiths' write up is always good, and it is a decent place holder, but it is already available on the website, and much more structured and professional than ours need to be. ie; it is better to have both!

To Kjun and UNC, part of the reason we put this up is that we would really love to hear from you and others who might be a touch inhibited for various reasons to jump in the pool. I know I was the first time I did a game day thread, and since some can be quite elaborate, it can be a bit intimidating.

Still, even if there are no crazy pictures or animations, and even if the take is brief, have at it. While the Micheal Smith write up is always an option, I can read that AND whatever you come up with. The moderators and administrators and even more techinogically savvy members can and will help if you want to add pictures, etc. I know because that's who helped me (far from tech gifted) the first time. Now I'm cutting and pasting all over the place.

But really it is just a fresh style of writing or perspective that creates a nice variety.

So, even if it's short, and stripped down, it can still be good (did I, of all people, just write that? :letssee: ).

Also, while we can get a bit chippy sometimes, I can't recall anything but praise to the GDT starter. This board has always been very good that way.

I guess I'm saying is the more the merrier, and particularly if a spot is open and we're going to just cut and paste something in there that we can all read on the website: jump in. The water's fine!

Edited by remkin

Well-----while I don't start GDT's, I always make sure I comment once or twice on each one, because

I watch all the games. I plan to keep doing that. (good play or less so)

Here's to a great fun season. GO CANES  !!

Good comments too UNC, I enjoy reading them. :applaud:  I surely get that it's not everyone's thing starting the GDT.

But if anyone out there is interested, but a bit unsure, PM me when the time comes and I will be very happy to help.

Edited by remkin

OK, thanks all for the input. I have unpinned this since no futher comments have been forthcoming for several days. Feel free to still comment here, but otherwise this thread will settle to the bottom.

I hope that the team provides us with lots of motivation to want to join in the discussion in the GDT's and for people to want to start them.

No pressure to start GDT's, ust when you're ready...GO SIGN UP NOW, just kind of check out the thread and if the idea hits you GO SIGN UP NOW just think about it, maybe just read for a while, then GO SIGN UP NOW, maybe just a brief, small comment to get the feet wet, GO SIGN UP NOW. Then, maybe you think, "hey, I could give that a shot" GO SIGN UP NOW.

But no pressure.

But seriously great discusion and go Canes.

Just bumping this one more time for this.

We would love to have an opening night(s) thread (s) starter(s). It is open! Get the ball rolling!

Does not have to be a masterwork, but would be nice to have something from one of us up there!

There is our actual first game Oct 8, this Thursday :yippee: .

And our home opener this Saturday Oct 10: :banana: .

Edited by remkin

Just bumping this one more time for this.

We would love to have an opening night(s) thread (s) starter(s). It is open! Get the ball rolling!

Does not have to be a masterwork, but would be nice to have something from one of us up there!

There is our actual first game Oct 8, this Thursday :yippee: .

And our home opener this Saturday Oct 10: :banana: .

Thursday, Thursday!!! Counting it down, I won't be able to sleep wed. night. Lol

Thursday, Thursday!!! Counting it down, I won't be able to sleep wed. night. Lol

Well, while you're up you could do the GDT starter! Just kidding no pressure.....

But seriously, one last time and then this thread settles to the murky depths....

I put up the first game GDT starter, but would love someone to jump on starting the GDT for our home opener!! Doesn't have to be long.

OK. Out.

Edited by remkin