The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

2015-2016 Regular Season Prediction Thread

Some different ones since lots have already been predicted.

- Our shootout woes will be replaced by our 3 on 3 woes as we are near the bottom of the league at it.

- Hanafin will garner actual rookie of the year attention as a D-Man, but cannot beat McDavid.

- People will not be able to stop themselves saying how much better Michelle McMahon is than Chantel

- The new pricing patterns will actually decrease attendance of our own fans as more opposing fans from the Bruins and Pens buy up tickets on stubhub from STH

- D will be even better than last season and a lot of our scoring plays will come from D and rebounds off of D shots.

- Remkin will be wordy, Coastal will be succinct, LakeLivin will be analytical, Superdave will change his avatar at least 5 times, Topshelf will be firm but fair.  And all of this is good.

- oh... and Eric Staal will sign for more than 6M per.  Whether it is here or somewhere else, there just is no way he won't be the Alpha Staal.

Yeah, but what does the Big Guy think?

Getting this in before official puck drop for the season.

Unfortunately crystal ball says 13th in East 6th pick in the draft.  I hope this is way wrong !!!

IMO we'll see improvement, but not enough to get in.  A step forward to where RF/BP are taking this.

Whoops.  Put this in the wrong thread first.  So like Manwolf, gotta get this in before puck drop in 7 minutes!

My prediction as I mentioned on the game day thread: Canes fall short by 2 points from a playoff slot.

Grade: B-  Boston fell in this slot, but the Canes made a go of it.  Lacking Nesty and Faulk injuries, it may have been an A.  At least the Canes were kind of "in it" in the late winter for once.

I think BP will manage the youth really well and get the most of them.

Grade A  Yes.  Not only BP, but Smith.  Wow.

I also think E. will go away for a while in the first part of the season which will hurt.  Skinner will be hurt with a big injury which will ultimately undo the team.

Grade C: True of Eric, wrong on Skinner.  Totally wrong.

But, the wildcards are the goalies.  If Cam/Lacky can do magic, it might give the young D some room to make mistakes.

Grade D: because I didn't follow instructions.  I need to "predict" and not just "conjecture".  There was no room for mistakes but the D did well.

Oh, and if Skins stays healthy and E. gets a contract bug up his behind, then who knows?

Grade B-: Need to do better with following instructions!  Skins stayed healthy, Eric had no bugs to bother him.  He was just the same old.

Overall Grade: C+  Maybe next year I'll follow instructions.

Edited by wxray1

Is it too late to predict the Wiz will be lost for the season in the first 3 minutes of the opener and GMRF will wish he had brought in more than one veteran defenseman in the offseason?

Or, we could start a thread for which significant player will be lost or damaged before the season starts next year (Pitkanen, E. Staal-ACL playing for Canada over the summer, Jordan and now Wiz). Okay, Wiz did play 47 seconds before he was lost for the season. Seems like we lose one every year - well Eric played 2 years ago, but by all accounts was gimpy the whole season.

Grading myself...

Some different ones since lots have already been predicted.

- Our shootout woes will be replaced by our 3 on 3 woes as we are near the bottom of the league at it.

16 OTLs leads the league.   8-11 in 3 on 3, and 2-5 in shootouts.  Replaced our woes, no.  Added to our woes, yes. Near the bottom of the league at 3 on 3, yep.

Grade: A

- Hanafin will garner actual rookie of the year attention as a D-Man, but cannot beat McDavid.

They both played well, but Hanifin is not on the list.  Neither will McDavid win.

Grade:  D

To be continued... (too many quote blocks?  Message board, you got to be kidding...) 

- People will not be able to stop themselves saying how much better Michelle McMahon is than Chantel

Yep, although the discussion ended as a slam dunk long ago.  Meesh rules.

Grade:  B+

- The new pricing patterns will actually decrease attendance of our own fans as more opposing fans from the Bruins and Pens buy up tickets on stubhub from STH

I can't even say enough how true that was.

Grade:  A

- D will be even better than last season and a lot of our scoring plays will come from D and rebounds off of D shots.

Yep.  And the D guys were different than we dreamed.

Grade:  A

- Remkin will be wordy, Coastal will be succinct, LakeLivin will be analytical, Superdave will change his avatar at least 5 times, Topshelf will be firm but fair.  And all of this is good.

The defense rests.

- oh... and Eric Staal will sign for more than 6M per.  Whether it is here or somewhere else, there just is no way he won't be the Alpha Staal.

Jury still out on how much he gets, but it's not here, and it won't be 6M  I'll just take the zero.

Grade: F

Overall:  B    (there was a curve)

I was wondering if anyone would hold themselves responsible, lol. I guess if hag can man up, I should as well. :boxing:

I think we'll do better than the pundits are predicting but I'm not comfortable guessing how much.  I think we'll be competitive in most games, I just don't know how many will tilt our way. Definitely more than last year. . .

Grade: incomplete (what a wimpy prediction, just go ahead and pick a number next time!) 

Organizational systems and culture: positive changes are settling in.

Grade: A+  (couldn't be more happy about where we're headed)

Roster: Lack, Wiz, Versteeg, -Semin, another year's experience for the yutes  > Kudo, Sekera, Tlusty, Semin, aging effect on the veterans.

Some predictions for a few individuals:

• Lindholm shows continued solid improvement. Grade: C-  (I feel a lot better about him based on his play of late than his numbers would indicate) 
  • Nestrasil as well, but not quite as much.  Grade: B
  • Skinner has big bounce back year as the principle of Regression Towards the Mean takes hold. Grade: A+
  • Gerbe sees a bounce in offensive production. Grade: F
  • Rask disappoints slightly. This is as much a reflection of people's high expectations as poor play by Rask (i.e., he doesn't show anywhere near as big a jump this year as he had last year). Grade: D+
  • Liles: wins the Canes MVIM (Most Valuable Invisible Man) award.  He's a solid contributor on the defensive end and is another stabilizing influence for the yutes (along with Wiz and Hainsey), but gets almost no recognition for it. Grade: A (for Lilies contributions), D+ [in that he finally got some recognition (as well as a nice return at the deadline :grin:), even if it did take about half a season]
  • Ward - Lack end up as one of the top goalie tandems in the league next year. Grade: F (unfortunately)
  • Wiz loses us at least one game by taking an ill timed penalty. Grade: incomplete

As always, just one man's opinion.  :D

I hate to say it, but if forced to pick an over/ under on Faulk's scoring this year compared to last I'd also have to go with the under. If that turns out to be the case, hopefully Murphy will start to fulfill his potential and more than make up the difference. Wiz and Liles can pitch in a bit more as well. I'm staying away from any predictions about Hanifin; I don't want to jinx him.  ;)

Grade: incomplete 

Faulk was on fire for half a season.  Then he basically disappeared for a quarter season.  Who knows where he would have eventually ended up if he hadn't gotten hurt?  If you project his points total from his actual 64 games to 82 games, you end up with 2 less than last season.

Overall Grade: C+ (the way things used to be graded when I was younger) / B- (the way things are graded today)

Edited by LakeLivin

Don't tell JR about this Staal brother.  He'll try to trade for him too.

I'll need to play next year.  Looks like fun.

EDIT: wait!  I did play!  Grading coming up.

Edited by wxray1

Whoops.  Put this in the wrong thread first.  So like Manwolf, gotta get this in before puck drop in 7 minutes!

My prediction as I mentioned on the game day thread: Canes fall short by 2 points from a playoff slot.

Grade: B-  Boston fell in this slot, but the Canes made a go of it.  Lacking Nesty and Faulk injuries, it may have been an A.  At least the Canes were kind of "in it" in the late winter for once.

I think BP will manage the youth really well and get the most of them.

Grade A  Yes.  Not only BP, but Smith.  Wow.

I also think E. will go away for a while in the first part of the season which will hurt.  Skinner will be hurt with a big injury which will ultimately undo the team.

Grade C: True of Eric, wrong on Skinner.  Totally wrong.

But, the wildcards are the goalies.  If Cam/Lacky can do magic, it might give the young D some room to make mistakes.

Grade D: because I didn't follow instructions.  I need to "predict" and not just "conjecture".  There was no room for mistakes but the D did well.

Oh, and if Skins stays healthy and E. gets a contract bug up his behind, then who knows?

Grade B-: Need to do better with following instructions!  Skins stayed healthy, Eric had no bugs to bother him.  He was just the same old.

Overall Grade: C+  Maybe next year I'll follow instructions.

We will be better than last season.

We will say goodbye to the last of the Cup bunch before the season is over

Less than two weeks into the season, my wife will shout, you are not watching another hockey game tonight, are you?

A

Fail

A+

Overall incomplete. Doesn't play well with others and often skips assignments.