The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

I can deal with the losing, it's the apparent lack of effort that is killing my soul....

+1

Only thing that made last season tolerable was the compete level.  It was there most every night despite the talent gap.  I'm writing off Tuesday as an exception, and if it wasn't then it'll be real ugly this year.  I expect the Pro in all of them to surface.

Other than having Lindy, McGinn, Faulk, Hanifin, Hainsey, Liles, Murphy and Pesce on the wrong side, okay.

I really didn't iterate on the whole RD vs LD just what I thought the pairingS should be.

I really didn't iterate on the whole RD vs LD just what I thought the pairingS should be.

Exactly the reason I rarely put together any comments on proposed fan lineups, because most fans don't consider how shooting from your offside impacts a player's game (see Michael Jordan from the Panthers game).  I'm an outlier, obviously.

But, your are coach for the day, and you had problems with Peters lineup, so......

Some wingers can switch positions (see Versteeg, Nordstram, Nesty), and some can't. Our team is heavy on left-shooting forwards,so why slot a right-shooting wing on the left side (see Lindy)?  Also, I would be surprised to see HCBP put a rookie with no NHL experience on the right wing when he's a left shot.  See your lineup and Brock McGinn, for example.

Anyway, no big deal, but you get the point.

Edited by coastal_caniac

+1

Only thing that made last season tolerable was the compete level.  It was there most every night despite the talent gap.  I'm writing off Tuesday as an exception, and if it wasn't then it'll be real ugly this year.  I expect the Pro in all of them to surface.

The thing that gets me is that, quite often, they don't look ready to play. Don't they know the other team gets paid to play hockey, too?

Exactly the reason I rarely put together any comments on proposed fan lineups, because most fans don't consider how shooting from your offside impacts a player's game (see Michael Jordan from the Panthers game). I'm an outlier, obviously.

But, your are coach for the day, and you had problems with Peters lineup, so......

Some wingers can switch positions (see Versteeg, Nordstram, Nesty), and some can't. Our team is heavy on left-shooting forwards,so why slot a right-shooting wing on the left side (see Lindy)? Also, I would be surprised to see HCBP put a rookie with no NHL experience on the right wing when he's a left shot. See your lineup and Brock McGinn, for example.

So an NHL rookie with no NHL experience is better off on the left wing of the top line against other teams top 2 lines? Sounds legit.

Just as, or more legit as your suggestion to put him on the third line on his off-side.  Might as well leave Terry there and let McGinn play the left on the fourth line.  Those guys (Nordstram, Malone) can switch, no big deal.

Anyway, like I said earlier, this is why I rarely discuss lines.  I just think the kid would be more comfortable playing his natural position, regardless of line. 

Thanks for putting up your lines though, I followed your thinking on how the overall lines were put together.

I know many don't agree, but I like E. Staal back at center, and Versteeg back on the right side. McGinn won't be out there all by himself.  I hope he says "hello" to Zetterberg a couple of times if he gets a chance.

I'm just as surprised, but kind of interested to see how that goes and if it lasts longer than one-half a period.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Well on the plus side, as it lies we sit on two top 5 lottery picks.....

OK, OK. Gotta be more positive. All we have to do is sweep Detroit and Washington back to back on the road and we're right back in it. Not sure that makes me feel better actually.

Gotta agree that I for one also like McGinn, and I think that his apparent compete level and grittiness, the latter exceeding his physical status, could aid both Staal and Versteeg by opening up things on that line.

On another note, re: Detroit, am seeing that Franzen has re-experienced concussion symptoms and won't play tomorrow. Neither apparently Glendenning who has an injury from a blocked shot. Not sure if loss of these 2 significantly changes anything?

Maybe we could also tamper with "The Great O" clock so he could oversleep and be scratched again for that game. BTW, what a novel idea, benching your star player!! Wonder what that would be like?

The problem is that E. Staal doesn't miss meetings or oversleep. He waits until the puck drops to catch some zzz's.

There was an interesting discussion last night about the Ovechkin thing, and if star players usually have a different set of rules. The commentators pretty much agreed that there is a separate set of rules for star players, and one actually said he would have let Ovi play and reprimanded him behind the scenes.

Kudos to Barry Trotz for making accountability an actual concept. I was in the "hire Trotz" camp before and I still like him as a coach. Whether or not he can fix what ails the Caps and take them to the next level remains to be seen, they lost a lot of grit/toughness (Ward, Fehr, Brouwer, etc.) up front in the offseason but gained some skill. Still not sure the Caps went in the right direction but we'll see.

Off the top of my head, the only right shot forwards are Lindholm, Nash, and Versteeg.  It's one of the reasons that Semin's suckitude hurt this team so badly.  Playing a kid in his first game(s) in the league in anything but his natural position is not fair to the player. 

Exactly the reason I rarely put together any comments on proposed fan lineups, because most fans don't consider how shooting from your offside impacts a player's game (see Michael Jordan from the Panthers game).  I'm an outlier, obviously.

Some wingers can switch positions (see Versteeg, Nordstram, Nesty), and some can't. Our team is heavy on left-shooting forwards,so why slot a right-shooting wing on the left side (see Lindy)?  Also, I would be surprised to see HCBP put a rookie with no NHL experience on the right wing when he's a left shot.  See your lineup and Brock McGinn, for example.

This is a fair point, but it's important point out that hockey "handings" often run counter to the "normal" world.

Many players who are natural right handers in baseball, for example, develop as left-handed shots, and many hockey "righties" would be more comfortable if they shot left. The tipping point is usually whether they played goal early in their development - and because the poorest skaters are often tossed in goal when they are young (wrongly, because tenders need a great sense for and control of footwork, probably more than any other position), goalies who naturally catch with their left hand - guys who would be righties in baseball - are forced to shoot "left" (waffleboard hand high, catching hand low). This is a big reason the number of "lefthand" (shooting) keepers is pretty much the opposite of the number of left-handed people in the general population.

What all this has to do with handedness among skating positions is that many guys who "shoot left" are actually more comfortable handling the puck on their backhand side, since it feels closer to swinging a bat or golf club as a righty. Even though their hands are reversed, the familiarity of the swinging motion is more comfortable for them. The quickest way to tell whether a "lefty" is really right hand dominant is by watching them push the puck in open ice. If they one-hand their stick in their right mitt they're probably "natural" righties, even though they shoot left.

So comfort/ability on the off-side is a highly individual thing.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I'm comfortable with a coach benching players. Afterward you will see if they have a " professional  " mindset and learn from the experience of if they get their panties in a bunch. 

This is a fair point, but it's important point out that hockey "handings" often run counter to the "normal" world.

So comfort/ability on the off-side is a highly individual thing.

I agree, and I did identify those players on the team that fit what you are describing above.  Besides, by the time a player gets to this level it's getting clearer what they can or can't do on the off-side.  Are you saying McGinn can switch sides?  To my knowledge, he's always played on the left side.

Not being argumentative mind you, this just takes my mind off of losing for a little while, if you know what I mean.

Wherever he plays, I still wouldn't mind watching McGinn say "hello" to somebody.  Why not Zetterberg?  :tripping:

Edited by coastal_caniac

I agree, and I did identify those players on the team that fit what you are describing above.  Besides, by the time a player gets to this level it's getting clearer what they can or can't do on the off-side.  Are you saying McGinn can switch sides?  To my knowledge, he's always played on the left side.

Not being argumentative mind you, this just takes my mind off of losing for a little while, if you know what I mean.

Wherever he plays, I still wouldn't mind watching McGinn say "hello" to somebody.  Why not Zetterberg?  :tripping:

Not making a claim about McG re your discussion with Blue; I have no idea about which is his dominant side. 

And I TOTALLY get your meaning re something other than our cruddy stat :)

Yeah, you know when Z scored that goal the other night I thought, How the heck does anybody who knows anything about hockey or has been interested in hockey in the past 20 years step on the ice knowing Z is also out and not be sure somebody is on him like white on rice? 

In the interest of perspective, we may be bad, but the Oilers still suck. Despite the presence of Mr. Generational Talent, they're now 0-4.

Yeah I think Edmonton fans thought when they drafted McDavid, all their other underachievers and oft-players would magically live up to their potential, and everything would fall into place. I still think they can do better.

I got a voice message yesterday from my new (and I gather fairly recently hired) season ticket account representative saying as the introductory part of the message in an extremely enthusiastic and upbeat voice, "I hope you are enjoying the season so far!..."

I had to listen to it again, those were the exact words.  I told Mrs. Storm later and she's shaking her head, "you're kidding!?!"  :blink:  

Edited by Red_Storm

I got a voice message yesterday from my new (and I gather fairly recently hired) season ticket account representative saying as the introductory part of the message in an extremely enthusiastic and upbeat voice, "I hope you are enjoying the season so far!..."

I had to listen to it again, those were the exact words.  I told Mrs. Storm later and she's shaking her head, "you're kidding!?!"  :blink:  

VrGJ5f.jpg