The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

Well...Leafs aren't much better...

But then again, that's always been the case. Leafs fans are the Cubs fans of hockey. (Although it is nice to see both cities in baseball's post-season.)

In the interest of perspective, we may be bad, but the Oilers still suck. Despite the presence of Mr. Generational Talent, they're now 0-4.

They just need Austin Matthews, then they'll be good. That appears to be the plan anyway.

BTW if they actually get Austin Matthews I think I'll quit NHL hockey forever just on principle.

Edited by remkin

They just need Austin Matthews, then they'll be good. That appears to be the plan anyway.

BTW if they actually get Austin Matthews I think I'll quit NHL hockey forever just on principle.

Hope you enjoy your last season of hockey......... :sarcasm:

Was just looking at BP's bio and noticed that his performance here is (so far) mirroring what he did in Spokane, results-wise. In his first year in Spokane, the team's winning percentage was .347. Last year's (Canes') winning percentage was .365. That's less than 2 percentage points difference.

To repeat the second-year performance of his Spokane tenure, we'll have to finish at .500 this season and eek into the playoffs.

And if next year repeats Year Three in Western Washington? We win the Cup.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Love it, top. On a somewhat different train of thought, someone on here please explain to me why Whiz has not been placed on LTIR? Is it because Francis is hopeful that he'll be able to return this year, or does he have to be on IR for a longer period before declaring him on the other?

If placed on LTIR, doesn't that free up some Cap space(not that we need that)?

And on another totally unrelated note, just reading that Tomas Plakanec has signed a 2 yr deal with Montreal for $6mil per WITH NO CLAUSES!! Now isn't that a novel idea?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Oh man!  A Carolina Hurricanes season ticket just called me and being in IT I usually screen my calls but this time I answered.  She told me how it was a great time to be a season ticket holder and how there is a lot to be excited about this season.  I proceeded to ask her what is so exciting about a team that has missed the playoffs for the past 6 years and how the team's system totally looks like crap.  I also asked her what's so exciting about watching the star players not produce and just coast out there when on the ice.

She was speechless.  I guess she picked the wrong guy to call and try and sell tickets to.

Edited by bluedevil58

Love it, top. On a somewhat different train of thought, someone on here please explain to me why Whiz has not been placed on LTIR? Is it because Francis is hopeful that he'll be able to return this year, or does he have to be on IR for a longer period before declaring him on the other?

If placed on LTIR, doesn't that free up some Cap space(not that we need that)?

And on another totally unrelated note, just reading that Tomas Plakanec has signed a 2 yr deal with Montreal for $6mil per WITH NO CLAUSES!! Now isn't that a novel idea?

I see no mention of an LTIR in the NHL Hockey Operations Guidelines.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I see no mention of an LTIR in the NHL Hockey Operations Guidelines.

I don't know the full situation, but the floor is what, $52.8M?  Apparently the Hurricanes salary right now is at is $63.1M.  Wiz isn't making enough for that to be an issue right now, but what happens if/when an EStaal and/or CWard trade happens (and with an 0-3 start and 0-for-October being a possibility, RF may already be looking at that)?  Depending on what would come back (if anything), it could be that he has an eye on that and is avoiding LTIR for that reason.

I'm pretty sure players on LTIR still count against the year-end cap, when those calculations are done.  They don't come off the books. 

Teams are allowed to exceed the cap by a set amount (there's a formula) when replacing the player, but at the end of the year they can't be over the cap.  If they are, they immediately have to trade a player(s) to get cap compliant as soon as the player on LTIR returns.

It's more of an issue for teams who are already close to the cap.

As I understand it, it's a slippery slope.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Oh man!  A Carolina Hurricanes season ticket just called me and being in IT I usually screen my calls but this time I answered.  She told me how it was a great time to be a season ticket holder and how there is a lot to be excited about this season.  I proceeded to ask her what is so exciting about a team that has missed the playoffs for the past 6 years and how the team's system totally looks like crap.  I also asked her what's so exciting about watching the star players not produce and just coast out there when on the ice.

She was speechless.  I guess she picked the wrong guy to call and try and sell tickets to.

Wow!  I don’t begrudge telemarketers, pollsters, etc., cause everybody’s got to make a buck, but to me these calls don’t reflect well on the Canes.  Either their agents are clueless or whoever gave them the script to go by is clueless.  The two fairly newly hired reps I’ve interacted with lately seem to be newcomers to town and Hurricanes hockey.  Surely with the local universities we have and fan base, there are young recent grad Caniacs who would be in the applicant pool that not only know the sales and marketing stuff, but know the psyche, history, culture, and traditions of the team, fan base and season ticketholders?  Wouldn’t those folks be better hires as ‘representatives’ of the organization?   Strange.

I saw that too and thought, well there's the deal E should sign. So I went to compare their stats since Plekanec seems to get a lot of kudos and lately not so much for Staal.

Well Staal is a couple of years younger, but has put up far more career points. Then I thought, "well what about the last two years?" It is closer, but on a ppg basis, Staal is even ahead the past two years.

Career ppg:

Plekanec: .66

Staal: .87

Last two years:

Plekanec: .63

Staal: .67

However, if you want to factor in plus/minus it goes the other way:

Plekanec: +47

Staal: -55

Put that in, factor in the age differnce, and a slight nod to lifetime acheivement indicating possible upside, but then bake in that Plekanec took money over term and my orginal $6.5mill/year 4 years and no NTC or around that should be the deal. 

Now can we just get it done?

Edited by remkin

Kris Versteeg has already christened his new rookie linemate with a nickname.“Big red,”

That's cool.  Better than Ginny.  I'm so tire of the xxx-y or xxx-er.  "Red" it is.  Love it.

(This one's for you Uncle Red...)

I know I know. I already admitted that so far I am wrong. Let's hope it continues.

Yes, give BD a break.  He admitted to enjoying an avian treat.

Wow!  I don’t begrudge telemarketers, pollsters, etc., cause everybody’s got to make a buck, but to me these calls don’t reflect well on the Canes.  Either their agents are clueless or whoever gave them the script to go by is clueless.  The two fairly newly hired reps I’ve interacted with lately seem to be newcomers to town and Hurricanes hockey.  Surely with the local universities we have and fan base, there are young recent grad Caniacs who would be in the applicant pool that not only know the sales and marketing stuff, but know the psyche, history, culture, and traditions of the team, fan base and season ticketholders?  Wouldn’t those folks be better hires as ‘representatives’ of the organization?   Strange.

Agree.  I don't know who this is coming from, but Sara Daniel's emails have wanted to make me hurl.  I did tell my ticket rep that "I send my love to Sara", and I caught him off guard and he belly laughed.

Not sure this "excited disposition" is from her, but it has to stop.  Give me some reality, please (!!!?).

Ironically, her twitter feed is fairly low key and relaxed, not sure why her emails have been so excitable.  For example from last March 18, 2015:

"Dear wxray1,

We are excited to share with you your personal 2015-16 Season Ticket renewal e-brochure.

Please click the link below for a message from Coach Peters as well as information regarding the benefits and renewal options for the 2015-16 season.  Be sure to renew early, so you qualify for our new “30 Prizes in 30 Days” promotion!

We appreciate your support!

Sara Daniel

Vice President of Ticket Sales

Carolina Hurricanes

People like you two completely amaze me. I understand being frustrated with the Hurricanes organization's lack of success over the past six years and maybe even I understand that you think the staff couldn't manage or coach their way out of a wet paper bag, but what's a season-ticket seller supposed to say? "Please buy our season tickets - we know we've been lousy ever since you can remember and we're hanging on to that one Stanley Cup we won by accident ten years ago, but we promise we're getting better and will be more fun to watch. Really we will, so please buy a season ticket so we can pay salaries for people who aren't directly connected with the product that shows on the ice? Please don't beat me, master, don't beat me...."

People like you two completely amaze me. I understand being frustrated with the Hurricanes organization's lack of success over the past six years and maybe even I understand that you think the staff couldn't manage or coach their way out of a wet paper bag, but what's a season-ticket seller supposed to say? "Please buy our season tickets - we know we've been lousy ever since you can remember and we're hanging on to that one Stanley Cup we won by accident ten years ago, but we promise we're getting better and will be more fun to watch. Really we will, so please buy a season ticket so we can pay salaries for people who aren't directly connected with the product that shows on the ice? Please don't beat me, master, don't beat me...."

This has to go into the HOF of "first posts"...you really signed up to trash these guys?  Wow!

JonK welcome to the boards.  I’m sure you’ll be constantly amazed by many things me and bluedevil say!

As for what the Canes are supposed to do, as a Season Ticket holder for 12 years, over the top nonsense just doesn’t work for me and agents and reps (typically) didn’t do it in years past.  Maybe some like it, who knows?   My take is even if you’re trying to sell this team to a prospective new season ticket holder, gushing everything is great and especially gushing about the season’s “great start” is silly. You know what you sell with a down/re-building team?  Things like ‘the game day experience’ ‘ a great time out with friends (or family)’ ‘the team’s young talent’ ‘big time upcoming opposing teams (or opposing great players)’ ‘the excitement of professional hockey in person’ etc.  There are lots of legitimate things to push and peddle without entering the realm of fantasy.  (To the Canes credit, they have focused a lot of their print and tv ads on Justin Faulk and young talent as a positive appeal that the future will be better.  The problem as mentioned by me (and I think for bluedevil and wxray) is their agents and reps just seem out of tune with this aspect of the team’s ad campaign.)

Coming out of the season long lock-out in 2005, the fanbase was about as down as it is now and I thought about not renewing my tickets.  The Canes marketing slogan that year was simply “Here to Play, Here to Stay.”  The sales pitch was nothing over-the-top, just an honest come see us play hockey and we’ll do our best to give you a show.  A frank and no nonsense sell, nice...of course fondly recalled as that team ended up winning the Cup.

JonK welcome to the boards.  I’m sure you’ll be constantly amazed by many things me and bluedevil say!

As for what the Canes are supposed to do, as a Season Ticket holder for 12 years, over the top nonsense just doesn’t work for me and agents and reps (typically) didn’t do it in years past.  Maybe some like it, who knows?   My take is even if you’re trying to sell this team to a prospective new season ticket holder, gushing everything is great and especially gushing about the season’s “great start” is silly. You know what you sell with a down/re-building team?  Things like ‘the game day experience’ ‘ a great time out with friends (or family)’ ‘the team’s young talent’ ‘big time upcoming opposing teams (or opposing great players)’ ‘the excitement of professional hockey in person’ etc.  There are lots of legitimate things to push and peddle without entering the realm of fantasy.  (To the Canes credit, they have focused a lot of their print and tv ads on Justin Faulk and young talent as a positive appeal that the future will be better.  The problem as mentioned by me (and I think for bluedevil and wxray) is their agents and reps just seem out of tune with this aspect of the team’s ad campaign.)

Coming out of the season long lock-out in 2005, the fanbase was about as down as it is now and I thought about not renewing my tickets.  The Canes marketing slogan that year was simply “Here to Play, Here to Stay.”  The sales pitch was nothing over-the-top, just an honest come see us play hockey and we’ll do our best to give you a show.  A frank and no nonsense sell, nice...of course fondly recalled as that team ended up winning the Cup.

Wasn't "Whatever It Takes" the slogan in in 05-06?

I agree with your larger point about truth in marketing. I'd be a lot more impressed with the sales side if they'd just say, "New coach, new GM, new accountability. We're building for the long haul and want you to be here."

Wasn't "Whatever It Takes" the slogan in in 05-06?

The slogan and ad logo was “Here to Play, Here to Stay” for the start of the season.   I was at the Cane’s re-launch party at a Durham Bull’s game in August 2005 and actually still have the now much worse for the wear T-Shirt they gave away that day with that slogan featuring prominently on it.  The recent October 2nd N&O had a look back feature on the Stanley Cup season that said, “Since the run to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2002 provoked a blossoming of the fan base, the Hurricanes had finished dead last in the NHL, missed the playoffs by 16 points and sat out an entire season, a state of affairs which contributed to the team’s marketing tagline that season: “Here to play, here to stay.””

“Whatever it Takes!” was definitely used that season during the playoffs and maybe rose at some point during the regular season as the team proved to be very good.  I was thinking the phrase came from Coach Laviolette and maybe even inspired by Julia Rowe’s brave battle with leukemia that season which was an inspiration for both the coach and the team, I can’t remember for sure. 

The slogan and ad logo was “Here to Play, Here to Stay” for the start of the season.  

“Whatever it Takes!” was definitely used that season during the playoffs and maybe rose at some point during the regular season as the team proved to be very good.  I was thinking the phrase came from Coach Laviolette and maybe even inspired by Julia Rowe’s brave battle with leukemia that season which was an inspiration for both the coach and the team, I can’t remember for sure. 

You remember correctly, sir.  That is exactly what transpired.