The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

If the sales rep would have told me that the team had some very good prospects including a future elite d man. I would have been more inclined to buy tickets. Don't lie to me though and make it sound like the team is going to compete for the cup this year. It really.put me off as I am sure it has its others.

Hurricanes Reassign Brett Pesce to Charlotte

I wonder if we are going to call another D-man up before Tuesday. I thought we wanted to carry an extra D-man on the trip just in case. Chex don't play again until Wed.

** probable a money, waiver or something like that thing

This has to go into the HOF of "first posts"...you really signed up to trash these guys?  Wow!

Now, I didn't get personal or anything, AWAC, and I'd signed up long before this; I just didn't have anything to say. :-)

I do apologize for going a little over-the-top in my post, and since others have chimed in that they feel the optimism over-sell is the wrong approach in this case, I'll backtrack a little and take my medicine like a hockey fan. I'll also remember to eat lunch before posting, so I'm not low-blood-sugar crazed. ;-)

Most cold-call advertising is over-the-top, usually because it's a given that the seller has to attract the potential buyer's attention quickly. The one factor I didn't think about is that Hurricanes tickets are essentially a local product, so the potential buyers know all about the company. That should certainly be factored into the pitch used, so my criticism was overblown.

I'm not a salesperson at all - I don't love anything enough to want to try to sell it to others - so I'm basing this on my perception of telemarketing of which I've been the target.

I don't want to wade into the sales pitch thing, but after last night, the sales staff might want to just take a couple of days off this week.

BTW welcome aboard jonKerfoot. Your sentiment is not unreasonable and your ability to come back nicely after the dramatic interactions will serve you well here. Things could be a bit bumpy in here the way this team is playing.

Edited by remkin

The Jekyll and Hyde element of this back-to-back must be driving RF and BP completely around the bend. How does the team that played with such control and intensity on Friday night just absolutely disappear, one plane ride and 24 hours later?

In my mind, there's absolutely no question about it any longer. This is NOT a coaching issue. This is a PSYCHIATRIC issue. It's far beyond the old cliche of "just needing to string together a couple of good games." This group--well, I'll just borrow a riff from Seinfeld:

“You know you really need some help. A regular psychiatrist couldn't even help you. You need to go to like Vienna or something. You know what I mean? You need to get involved at the University level. Like where Freud studied, and have all those people looking at you and checking up on you. That's the kind of help you need. Not the once a week for eighty bucks. No. You need a team. A team of psychiatrists working round the clock thinking about you, having conferences, observing you, like the way they did with the Elephant Man. That's what I'm talking about, because that's the only way you're going to get better.”

Edited by top-shelf-1

BP RF have minced no words on their opinion of the locker room and the results on the ice last night seem to suggest the locker room still needs help.

What precisely that means, I don't know but when Versteeg doesn't get any backup that scares me. Should scare some teammates because if it get's around you can do whatever you want to our guys because they don't care about each other we're going to have more injuries.

The Jekyll and Hyde element of this back-to-back must be driving RF and BP completely around the bend. How does the team that played with such control and intensity on Friday night just absolutely disappear, one plane ride and 24 hours later?

In my mind, there's absolutely no question about it any longer. This is NOT a coaching issue. This is a PSYCHIATRIC issue. It's far beyond the old cliche of "just needing to string together a couple of good games." This group--well, I'll just borrow a riff from Seinfeld:

“You know you really need some help. A regular psychiatrist couldn't even help you. You need to go to like Vienna or something. You know what I mean? You need to get involved at the University level. Like where Freud studied, and have all those people looking at you and checking up on you. That's the kind of help you need. Not the once a week for eighty bucks. No. You need a team. A team of psychiatrists working round the clock thinking about you, having conferences, observing you, like the way they did with the Elephant Man. That's what I'm talking about, because that's the only way you're going to get better.”

If this keeps up, it'll be more of a Pink Floyd approach:

The lunatic is in my head

The lunatic is in my head

You raise the blade, you make the change

You re-arrange me 'till I'm sane....

BP RF have minced no words on their opinion of the locker room and the results on the ice last night seem to suggest the locker room still needs help.

What precisely that means, I don't know but when Versteeg doesn't get any backup that scares me. Should scare some teammates because if it get's around you can do whatever you want to our guys because they don't care about each other we're going to have more injuries.

Been our problem for years now. No respect for teammates. Someone other than Gerbe or Faulk needs to step up.

Edited by winger52

I agree!! Gerbs will push back and no one ever comes to the guys aid... Im not sure who (Staals..?) but perhaps someone on this team is a cancer, locker room buster, or?? not sure, but one thing is evident they are not acting like a team that plays for one another.. 

This has been a soft team for a long time? We don't have any Dmen that anyone is afraid of, and we don't have any fowards that put fear into opposing Dmem on the forecheck. We don't need any goons, but it would be nice to see some guys that don't allow us to get pushed around. Even our big guys play small. Some of these guys should be ashamed that Gerbe will stand up, and they won't. Accountability seems to be thrown around without actually being enforced.

I agree!! Gerbs will push back and no one ever comes to the guys aid... Im not sure who (Staals..?) but perhaps someone on this team is a cancer, locker room buster, or?? not sure, but one thing is evident they are not acting like a team that plays for one another.. 

Sometimes the letter sweater guys need to have a discussion with the other teams player and tell them to knock it off or there will be real repercussions. Usually happens when you are grinding them into the wall.. 

This is exactly why I was so incensed a year ago when that little criminal Matty Niskanen targeted Skinner's head in pre-season. The guy who potted 33 goals for you the prior season gets no support? Really? And now Versteeg? The only time anybody visibly stood up for anyone else on this team in all of last season that I can recall is when Jordan got run by somebody in the O-zone - I wanna say in January - and Eric went after the offending player. When one 6-2 guy is taking up another 6-2 guy - and only THEN because it's his BROTHER - well, I'm sorry, but that speaks volumes re the physicality of your 6-2 guys.

Something else: How does a supposed second line center take SIX SHOTS -TOTAL - IN FIVE GAMES???? I mean, is that even POSSIBLE?? I know this, its freakin' laughable.

The problems here are old, chronic, and obvious, and they need to be excised before they permanently corrupt the psyches of everybody on this roster under the age of 25.

I loved it when Peters was asked looking back on the first 5 games what has impressed him the most. Peters: Repeat the question, said boy oh boy, pause, come up with an answer.

a little like

"My purpose is to make my narrative as truthful as possible",
George Armstrong Custer

I have said all along, The letters need to be removed and earned this year. Faulk deserves his letter as he is the best D-man we have. But, the other two? Both were given without thinking! Brindy was a much better captain that E.Staal and he only got it because he was the "franchise" player. WHOOPIE!!  J.Staal only got his because...I really don't know!

Agree with all the statements that we need some hard hitting players, *cough* RUUTU *cough*, again. I agree that no one stands up for anyone either. When other teams know you are not going to hit or take up for each other, we are beaten before we even play. On a second note, in the games we lost, we took an average of 24 shots. In the one game we won, we took 36 shots. What does that tell you? Same thing it meant with they played in PeeWee. "You don't shoot, you don't score!!"

Peters! Time to shuffle the letters!!!

The age old question.

Is the real team the one that breaks out clean, transitions clean and controls the puck, and heavily outshoots the opponent, or the one that gets completley man-handled, looks like it's skating in slugde, passes behind each other and turns pucks over regularly and really has zero chance of a W?

My guess is that the talent is there to play like the former more than not, but there is a missing thing. Is it in the room? There have been hints about that as Francis picking up Wiz, Versteeg and Lack are all supposed to be good guys in the room.

But the reality over a wide spread of games seems to be the latter. Simply hand over 20-25% of games. Play about even in 50%. Strongly outplay in about 20%. Thing is, even good teams hand over about 15% of games in the NHL. But the other ones, we need to score, and not break down defensively. But when we don't we lose the majority of the 50-50 games and too many of the games we dominate are stolen from us.

Why? I hope Francis knows, but the one non goalie constant in all of it has been our Captain. I have to think that the clock is ticking on that.

Edited by remkin

Knowing this probably crosses the boundary into the Great Staal Debate thread, but since not many people seem to be inclined to post, I'll just throw it out there.

I think Eric is gone at some point this season.  I really do.  And before the NTC is waived around, I think it will be a mutal parting of the ways. I've felt that way for quite some time.

If that occurs, I just don't see how you keep Jordan on the team, or that he would even want to stay here anyway.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I think E is traded before the deadline and agree that the NTC probably won't be an issue. I also think J is moved, but the off season is probably when that happens.