The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

Interesting take.....but, as weak as Murphy is on the boards, and as much emphasis as BP puts on winning 50/50 puck battles I can't imagine any scenario where Ryan Murphy is a forward on this team.  Or anywhere really.

Skinner was in the same place a year ago, as far as battling.

You're probably right, though. But if BP has proved nothing else it's that he knows how to get more out of players than what many of us thought possible.

You're probably right, though. But if BP has proved nothing else it's that he knows how to get more out of players than what many of us thought possible.

That's for dadgum sure.

Put that in your french pipe and smoke it!

The last time the NHL went back to a city where it had already failed once, the team wound up in Winnipeg - another city where it has already failed. If and when the NHL awards QC a franchise, I hope it is smart enough to make sure the ownership group has the commitment to make it work. If it doesn't, the only unknown will be where the NewDiques will end up (Portland cough Seattle cough cough).

I get that they're primed for a team, I hope they get one and that it is successful. Instead of making wild claims and spreading rumors, however, their fans' time would seem better spent focusing on local fundraising. How about setting up a trust or fan ownership? The Green Bay Packers model seems a great way for small Canadian markets to ensure success.  

Edit: And just five years after moving, concerns are surfacing about the long-term commitment of fans in The Peg. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

I don't think Quebec moved because of lack of support. If I remember correctly it was over a new arena deal or lack of one. They fixed that now. The Canadian dollar is a problem for them but if they get an expansion team I don't think fan support will be a problem.

I don't think Quebec moved because of lack of support. If I remember correctly it was over a new arena deal or lack of one. They fixed that now. The Canadian dollar is a problem for them but if they get an expansion team I don't think fan support will be a problem.

If you look strictly at ticket sales as fan support you're right, but ultimately the small size of the market (fan base) played a role, as did the dollar.

Now they've built an arena that seats 3,000 more for hockey than The Peg's barn--in a market that's 150,000 people smaller, is French monolingual (yet bidding for a team in an English-language league), and is second only to Green Bay as the smallest market in North America ever to have a major league sports team.

There's more on QC's challenges in this Wikipedia article, in particular the Canadian dollar issue you mention, and that QC lacks a major population center nearby to draw from (like Green Bay has Milwaukee).

Looking at all those factors, I'm having hard time seeing how the NHL approves ownership in QC by anybody with anything less than, as collie put it, money to burn. Even Brian Mulroney, who leads Quebecor, very recently acknowledged that nothing is likely to happen in QC anytime soon.

If you look strictly at ticket sales as fan support you're right, but ultimately the small size of the market (fan base) played a role, as did the dollar.

Now they've built an arena that seats 3,000 more for hockey than The Peg's barn--in a market that's 150,000 people smaller, is French monolingual (yet bidding for a team in an English-language league), and is second only to Green Bay as the smallest market in North America ever to have a major league sports team.

There's more on QC's challenges in this Wikipedia article, in particular the Canadian dollar issue you mention, and that QC lacks a major population center nearby to draw from (like Green Bay has Milwaukee).

Looking at all those factors, I'm having hard time seeing how the NHL approves ownership in QC by anybody with anything less than, as collie put it, money to burn. Even Brian Mulroney, who leads Quebecor, very recently acknowledged that nothing is likely to happen in QC anytime soon.

But they have already stroked a check for expansion fees for $500,000,000. Somebody is gonna want to cash that.

But they have already stroked a check for expansion fees for $500,000,000. Somebody is gonna want to cash that.

I'm more interested in dispelling the rumors about the Canes (or anyone else) moving, versus an eventual expansion. The league may choose to expand to get that check at some point, agreed. But an American owner moving to QC now? They'd have to get their heads examined, because it immediately diminishes the value of their assets by 25 percent.

The only check anybody's written so far is for 10 million, 2M of which they'll never get back. $500M US is the projected expansion fee, which right now equates to $620M Canadian. I think Mulroney's comments about nothing being imminent make clear one of two - and possibly both - things: how shallow Quebecor's pockets really are, and that the NHL isn't going to expand in Canada while its currency is floundering. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

My point is that the owners are going to be hard pressed to approve a move of a franchise until they have cashed those expansion fee checks. QC and LV have pretty much committed to paying those. I could be wrong, but I can't envision a scenario where a move of any team takes place before expansion. Allowing a team to move takes an expansion opportunity off the table, and the league has pretty much been planning on that for a while.

Edited by super_dave_1

Canes are getting some love in the "who's going to be good next year" department. I saw one that had us as the third best non playoff team, and now this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25545652

2. Carolina Hurricanes: The roster doesn't have a superstar, but there is still a lot to like about this team. Even though they are not going to the playoffs this season, they have been a thorn in the side of every contending team that has had to play them down the stretch, they are a top-10 possession team in the NHL for the season, and they have an outstanding young defense that is only going to get better. With more consistent goaltending and a little bit more help up front they can be very, very close to being a playoff team.

Of course our record makes that an easier call than last year, but still.

Pretty much as that last sentence says, more consistent goaltending and more help up front. If Francis can find those, look out. Then start the season a bit better...

My point is that the owners are going to be hard pressed to approve a move of a franchise until they have cashed those expansion fee checks. QC and LV have pretty much committed to paying those. I could be wrong, but I can't envision a scenario where a move of any team takes place before expansion. Allowing a team to move takes an expansion opportunity off the table, and the league has pretty much been planning on that for a while.

OK, gotcha. Good point.

Goaltending has to be better next year to even begin to discuss playoffs.

Yes, and with the season (almost) in the rearview mirror, I can remember maybe three games our goaltenders stole, and two of them were very recent, one each for Lack and Ward.

I feel better when Ward is in the net than with Lack, but if your goaltending isn't stealing 5 to 10 games in a season, IMO, it's not good enough. We played way too many OT games and while reasons for that go beyond goaltending, both of our guys seem to struggle with being fully focused for the whole 60 minutes on a consistent-enough basis. 

Goaltending has to be better next year to even begin to discuss playoffs.

Further to my comment in the game thread, instead of postulating Faulk for a top forward, do we begin postulating Faulk for a true starting netminder?

Yes, and with the season (almost) in the rearview mirror, I can remember maybe three games our goaltenders stole, and two of them were very recent, one each for Lack and Ward.

I feel better when Ward is in the net than with Lack, but if your goaltending isn't stealing 5 to 10 games in a season, IMO, it's not good enough. We played way too many OT games and while reasons for that go beyond goaltending, both of our guys seem to struggle with being fully focused for the whole 60 minutes on a consistent-enough basis. 

And when you look at this season and realize that the Hurricanes really only needed a couple of more wins to truly (as opposed to numerically) be in contention for the playoffs, not getting those five 'stolen' games a season becomes very big....

Edited by JonKerfoot

I will say that last night's game had the worst final home season game "feel" I can ever remember, even comparing 2004.

Waddell has sucked the life out of the atmosphere. 

Now I'm not talking team or future or BP or RF.  I'm talking facility and in-game experience.  

Just terrible.  Has little to do with the hockey.  Hockey future is great.  But I'm not so sure the "in game experience" has a bright future.

*** DELETED REST OF ANGRY RESPONSE THAT PROBABLY WOULD HAVE GOTTEN ME LISTED ***

Edited by wxray1

RF needs to land Andersen somehow, frankly it's unfortunate RF wasn't the GM the first time we had Andersen because in my opinion had he been a bit more patience the man would have a starting job that's all his just like he wanted.

I will say that last night's game had the worst final home season game "feel" I can ever remember, even comparing 2004.

Waddell has sucked the life out of the atmosphere. 

Now I'm not talking team or future or BP or RF.  I'm talking facility and in-game experience.  

Just terrible.  Has little to do with the hockey.  Hockey future is great.  But I'm not so sure the "in game experience" has a bright future.

*** DELETED REST OF ANGRY RESPONSE THAT PROBABLY WOULD HAVE GOTTEN ME LISTED ***

Truth.  Let me not include PA announcer Wade Minter though, who I think has done a great job.

The rest is noticeably a downgrade from other seasons.  Someone was noting that this was the first time he could remember not having a hat giveaway in the season.  I don't really give a crap about the giveaways myself, but it is more evidence of the bare bones experience we are at.

RF needs to land Andersen somehow, frankly it's unfortunate RF wasn't the GM the first time we had Andersen because in my opinion had he been a bit more patience the man would have a starting job that's all his just like he wanted.

He's an RFA.  If the Ducks were up against the cap maybe we could make a run at him, but it looks like that's not an issue for them.  

Truth.  Let me not include PA announcer Wade Minter though, who I think has done a great job.

The rest is noticeably a downgrade from other seasons.  Someone was noting that this was the first time he could remember not having a hat giveaway in the season.  I don't really give a crap about the giveaways myself, but it is more evidence of the bare bones experience we are at.

Where were the bobble-heads? Those were good for 10K in attendance per.

Edited by remkin

He's an RFA.  If the Ducks were up against the cap maybe we could make a run at him, but it looks like that's not an issue for them.  

Gibson's their man, spending 3-4 mil on their backup wouldn't be useful. I think Andersen's very available but at what arm and a leg cost?

Edited by legend-1

Francis could give him an offer sheet that Anaheim would have to match, he may be worth more to us than them, and less than Cam is making, or offer a trade that is to our advantage with the offer sheet as a back up. Kind of a bold move, but it might work.

Edited by remkin

They could do an offer sheet with Anderson for about $3.5M per and it would cost a 2nd rounder if Anaheim didn't match. He made $1.3M this year. Get much higher than $3.5M and the compensation jumps to a 1st and 3rd rounder.

Don't forget that those offer sheets come at a price. It is effectively a trade.