The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

JonKerfoot,

I will say that the product on the ice has improved, but not enough to get attendance up. This is not to disagree with the thesis that other factors are in play. But this is now a team of chronic failure. And while this year has shown signs, and the 'already intense and most knowledgeable fans", like those here, can see the sculpture taking form, this team missed again. 

We need a team to start strong. The years we did better, the team was in the game and built. And as the year went on, the attendance built. 

We need a star. We now have Skinner, but we need some flash up front, and we need to start winning early and SIT in a playoff spot for most of the year. Then attendance will build. 

Thanks, Rem, for the additional information. I was just reacting to a previous post in which someone made mention of the perceived fall-off in the "in-game experience" at Hurricanes' games this past season and the availability, despite changes to ticket processes, of fairly large numbers of tickets being available on secondary markets for much less than STH prices; I suppose I should have quoted that post.

I do agree that getting a little star-power and making a better start to the season will be the way to build attendance - people may like the in-game experience, but they're going to see a hockey game, not the off-ice entertainment. I just hope the two things do go together; i.e., better product on the ice means a better start to the season which means more people buying tickets which means more money to do stuff like enhance the on-ice product as well as the off-ice entertainment....

Thanks, Rem, for the additional information. I was just reacting to a previous post in which someone made mention of the perceived fall-off in the "in-game experience" at Hurricanes' games this past season and the availability, despite changes to ticket processes, of fairly large numbers of tickets being available on secondary markets for much less than STH prices; I suppose I should have quoted that post.

I do agree that getting a little star-power and making a better start to the season will be the way to build attendance - people may like the in-game experience, but they're going to see a hockey game, not the off-ice entertainment. I just hope the two things do go together; i.e., better product on the ice means a better start to the season which means more people buying tickets which means more money to do stuff like enhance the on-ice product as well as the off-ice entertainment....

JonKerFoot, agree that success builds a base to enhance.

The stuff I'm talking about doesn't have to be terribly expensive.  I guess all that money being paid to Semin really is killing PK.

Here's a few things they could do:

- Fan appreciation at the end of the season.  Shirt off their back?  Hello?

- A real chance for a jackpot fan goal through the 6" slot with a real prize.  Please contact some entity like "Direct Event Insurance" company or Lloyd's.

- Keep all the beer vending spots open, no matter what

- Let Larry have an occasional long play.  Did you notice that the Panther's let their organist loose yesterday? 

+ Actually, please contact the Panthers.  I was there 10 years ago and the place was miserable. They have completely changed the way they do things.   For example:  The Spacey in Space thing was weird and innovative.

- Switch things around.  Stop being so predictable.  Maybe the Storm Squad can clap differently one game instead of what they've been choreographed to do for the last 15 years.

- Don't constantly throw stuff to the same people.  The parachute drop is cute, but goes to the same rows every game.

- Yeah, I know the people in the top are in steerage class, but they are this team's fan future.  Throw them a bone, or at least a puck.

- Have a squirt Don Waddell in the face contest.  I mean, that would be HUGELY entertaining and satisfying. 

- Etc.  I'm not getting paid for these ideas.  Hire someone or have a meeting. 

Edited by wxray1

JonKerFoot, agree that success builds a base to enhance.

The stuff I'm talking about doesn't have to be terribly expensive.  I guess all that money being paid to Semin really is killing PK.

Here's a few things they could do:

- Fan appreciation at the end of the season.  Shirt off their back?  Hello?

- A real chance for a jackpot fan goal through the 6" slot with a real prize.  Please contact some entity like "Direct Event Insurance" company or Lloyd's.

- Keep all the beer vending spots open, no matter what

- Let Larry have an occasional long play.  Did you notice that the Panther's let their organist loose yesterday? 

+ Actually, please contact the Panthers.  I was there 10 years ago and the place was miserable. They have completely changed the way they do things.   For example:  The Spacey in Space thing was weird and innovative.

- Switch things around.  Stop being so predictable.  Maybe the Storm Squad can clap differently one game instead of what they've been choreographed to do for the last 15 years.

- Don't constantly throw stuff to the same people.  The parachute drop is cute, but goes to the same rows every game.

- Yeah, I know the people in the top are in steerage class, but they are this team's fan future.  Throw them a bone, or at least a puck.

- Have a squirt Don Waddell in the face contest.  I mean, that would be HUGELY entertaining and satisfying. 

- Etc.  I'm not getting paid for these ideas.  Hire someone or have a meeting. 

All good stuff.

Basically, make it look like you are trying.  In one of these last games, some dude had one of those horse heads on his head (creepy).

Skinner scored.  Not long after, they put that guy on the jumbotron again with text, "Why the long face, Skinner just scored."  One of the only original spontaneous ideas in a long time.

Towards the end of the season, they finally had the brilliant idea they could crank the siren before the start of every period instead of just the beginning of the game.  Easy stuff, but good.

It's really not that hard, they just need to work on it.

Many things could be done that would cost absolutely  nothing, and would help to improve the experience.

I'm pretty sure they have unsold suites for most games.  Set up a few STH's at random in a suite and throw a little food and beverage in there.  It would be a nice perk for STH's and costs virtually nothing.

Select a few fans at random to sit with the healthy scratches (whoever they are) for a period.  It would be neat to interact with those guys and again, costs nothing.

Have more giveaway stuff during all games.  All items should be signed.  Set up a few tables for the players to sign items a couple of times a month.  Practice pucks, pictures, t-shirts, etc.  The cost is minimal.

Jersey off the back should be done on a regular, but random basis during the season.  Once in a while, award the jersey of a random player to a fan.  I'm sure they have some ratty jerseys that are going to be "retired" at times during the season.  Again, cost = nothing.

These are just a few things off the top of my head that are cheap or free and would be neat things that all fans would want to participate in.

I want bobbleheads.

I have every one and then nada nothing.

Seriously, I can't remember a bobblehead game that didn't have a great draw.  Be cheap ( like where you make the damn things) if you must, and make bobblehead nights  on Tue and Thu.  We need bobbleheads.  Rocket science

I have an extra fat Karbele send back to China to make Jamie McBain bobblehead if anyone is interested.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Bobbleheads are always a fan favorite, and can't cost that much to have underage Chinese make in a sweat shop.  Of course, sending the Kabs bobbleheads back to China for the double chins to be shaved off and made into McBains could have broken the bobblehead budget for years to come.

Edited by super_dave_1

I tend to agree that the on ice product is more key, but I'll tell you where it let me down: Expectations.

When Francis came in, and the word went out that Ron the Ref was out, and that 'things would be different'.  That raised my expectations. I could take or leave Ron, but outside of being loud, he was decent, so I expected that whatever they were bringing in to replace him must be awesome.

Then it occurred and it was basically the same only worse, and just the same thing without Ron.

I agree about the bobbleheads. Not sure why they dropped those. People wanted them. One time we didn't get there in time to be in the first 10K people to get one. I figured, "hey, someone won't care that much, or will just forget theirs. Wrong. Three of us scoured the entire place immediately after the game and found one. Lucky to find that one.

It seems like they had great intentions but vague plans, then really failed to really execute.

Maybe not every activity needs to be sponsored. The sponsor has to like the promotion.

Scour the league. Go to the AHL and Juniors. There has to be something better.

How about a marching band? Imagine how fun that could be to watch on ice.

Edited by remkin

I could take or leave bobbleheads.  I left them off my list because of the sweatshop issue.  But I agree, they DO draw.  I have quite a few that I just got at STH games.  I never intentionally go for them.

Amber Jaye at least had some energy.   She brought a smile, even if she was not hockey smart. 

Way back someone mentioned the ticket people.  Have you seen the "innovation" they did this year?  The "STH ticket corrals" or whatever they are?   It looks like they are run by some young mafia interns.  Sheesh.  Let the guys breathe, and, oh, a few gals might be nice too.  Maybe they could wear a sweater every now and then instead of the black mafia suits.  I guess this is an idea of being "professional", but man they are intimidating.

Speaking of such... I really don't like my ticket guy.  Very snippy back to me.  Like I said, the ticket guys must be mafia in training.

Sending out the goon squad is not the way to drum up sales.

Do more a la Nashville with a band playing live.  I thought the crowd err, I mean people at the game, liked it.That was a great change from the usual nonsense on the ice.  Ron the Ref had good energy every game. I was good with him - he did a good job with what he had to work with...."Its great...to be a guuuuy!  A little more T & A would be good. I get so tired of our family atmosphere 24/7. So boring.

Interesting that you brought this up wxray.  I don't care for my new ticket guy (Mike) either.  It feels like he can't wait to get off the phone with me.

I knew there was something about my new ticket rep yet I couldn't pinpoint it. I think you just nailed it Coastal. Here's looking for constant improvement on the ice and behind the scenes. This season has been somewhat of a pleasant surprise. Expecting more for 16-17.

JonK, I think most of the tickets on the secondary sites are from the Canes. I bought tickets to a game from the site this year and the seller's name listed on my ticket was "A Fan." Plus I've used this site for years, and there were about the same number of tickets available for each game as in the past. I'm not opposed to the team selling tickets on the secondary market, I just think Mr. Waddell may have been a little misleading when discussing this after the large STH price increase.