The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

As for ME, im ready for a full blown Canes rebuild... (A new culture in Raleigh is needed) ...I would not resign E or Cam and if a 1st rounder could be had for Skins let him go.... Take the money, the picks and bring in some new faces...These guys have had their time, chances, coaches, bah.. it didnt work....

Based on Skinner's play last season,salary,play this season,concussion history,the Canes would be lucky to get a third round pick and a career AHL player. Add to that, if he makes a defensive play, somebody hit him with the puck by mistake.

Based on Skinner's play last season,salary,play this season,concussion history,the Canes would be lucky to get a third round pick and a career AHL player. Add to that, if he makes a defensive play, somebody hit him with the puck by mistake.

Can not argue your point at all.. Id take whatever any team would give at this point...

Several days ago, I posed a question which I'm not sure anyone has answered, and was just really curious about this situation. The question was, Does anyone know why Wisniewski has not been placed on LTIR?

I'm supposing that there are definite stipulations on who qualifies for this designation, and what the implications are for those players so designated? Is there some reason to be hopeful that his injury may heal faster than the time frame that LTIR allows?

Just curious?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Several days ago, I posed a question which I'm not sure anyone has answered, and was just really curious about this situation. The question was, Does anyone know why Wisniewski has not been placed on LTIR?

I'm supposing that there are definite stipulations on who qualifies for this designation, and what the implications are for those players so designated? Is there some reason to be hopeful that his injury may heal faster than the time frame that LTIR allows?

Just curious?

"When a player has an injury of which they are expected to miss 10 games and 24 days, the team can place them on long term injured reserve (LTIR) to receive cap relief."

I bet that since we're nowhere near the cap limit there's no reason to do it for Wiz.

Edited by LakeLivin

If Ward wants to say what is he worth? 4m 6 year deal? I think we can all now appreciate what he brings to the table or is he also the problem with his ability to keep the team in the game night in and night out on his own?

With Cam's long history of inconsistency and injury, there's absolutely no way you can justify giving a 31yr old player a 6 year deal.  Let's not act like Cam's an all star or immune to the problems this team's had.

The right deal for both sides will be made, he will finish his career here in Carolina  [Ward] .  Cool to see the Ward family leaving the area, with one of the little boys with the number 30 jersey...

At this point, I don't see any goalie better than Cam in our system...including Lack.  If we can keep him, I'd be comfortable with a 3 year, 3 mil deal.  My issue with trading him is that it's a buyers market for goalies right now...and the crappy teams won't be going out looking for upgrades in trade partners.  Hell, Calgary just dumped Karri Ramo yesterday because they have a logjam. 

Right now, I don't think Cam's going anywhere.

I did not see last nights game but I did see a highlight video of Cam's save. Congratulations ! That one may stand as one of the seasons best saves for the whole NHL along with a shutout. That was one game that I can agree that Cam stood on his head for that win.

Now for the sad news. I looked at the box score for the game. One word description..... appalling. The brothers combined  for 36 minutes of ice time. One, and let me repeat that, One shot on goal. Mr Karmanos would be better off letting  100.00 bills fall out of his pockets as he walks. And 38% face offs is not acceptable. I thought that this was a fired up player trying prove his worth in a contract year. I know that this game was a small sample snapshot six games into the season, but I really expected more.

Edited by winger52

Staal has 5 GP and 4 points and is a +1.  He is at almost a 1 PPG production.  You also forgot to mention that Colorado did not score a single goal.  That is because a specific center was helping to shut down teams top 2 lines as well as a goalie standing on his head.  I can't talk sense into a lot of you.  All I know is that things are going to get worse if Eric leaves.  Things will also be worse if Cam leaves.  

I was criticized for the Lack contract and I clearly stated that we should have seen a sample size before throwing money at this guy.  Everyone told me I was wrong.  So far, this has not been a great signing and I know the season is still young.  We will see how Lack performs.....  I don't think Ward and Eric are the problem this year.  My question is:  What if the Canes went out and acquired another 1st or 2nd line forward with LAs first pick this season?  Could that be what it will take?  I am starting to think that could put this team into playoff contention...  It's obvious it's the supporting cast of forwards that are not getting the job done due to being way over slotted.

Edited by bluedevil58

I agree that the Cam we are seeing we are better off keeping. This team's early struggles, especially w/ Washington, have continued to create a deceptive save percentage for Cam. He has now had two outstanding performances in a row. Just to show how deceptive save percentage can be, especially over a small sample size, the Washington game was more specatular than the shut out.

I really do hope Cam will take a more reasonable deal. the ugly fact is taht the return on goalies has not been great latetly. Just look at what we gave up for Lack (very little).

Speaking of Lack though. WAY WAY way too early to throw dirt on him. Over 42 games last year, he had the 12th best save percentage in the league (w/ 25 min starts). Peters clearly favors Cam, but of course he is also trade bait, so the plan is obviosly to get Cam settled down. But Cam's first couple of starts were rough too. Lack has had ONE regular season start.

If we want to know what Lack can do, he needs the net a few times. I like Cam, and he has shown some very favorable things in that last two years, but he always seems to get as many starts as he needs to find his game. Not so much for our back ups.

I hold out that Lack will perform very well over the course of the season.

Edited by remkin

I was criticized for the Lack contract and I clearly stated that we should have seen a sample size before throwing money at this guy.  Everyone told me I was wrong.  So far, this has not been a great signing and I know the season is still young.  We will see how Lack performs.....  I don't think Ward and Eric are the problem this year.  My question is:  What if the Canes went out and acquired another 1st or 2nd line forward with LAs first pick this season?  Could that be what it will take?  I am starting to think that could put this team into playoff contention...  It's obvious it's the supporting cast of forwards that are not getting the job done due to being way over slotted.

The jury's still out on Lack, but i'm not going to concede to him having a bad contract.  If we're going to make excuses for Cam's GAA and Save %, Lack deserves the same respect.  That Florida game he played was just as bad as the Washington game.

And as far as trading our acquired 1st rounder, absolutely not.  Giving the draft picks away for quick fixes is classic JR.  Even if we did that, it would take a major piece to break us out of our inconsistencies.

A lot of major pieces can be acquired with a 1st round pick....  Including a nice top 6 power forward.

I don't see any team giving up a top 6 forward for a draft pick until they've given up on this season. I'd guess it will be a while before that happens (or at least before a franchise can display that to it's fans).  Imo we needed to pick up another UFA while they were "free" instead of dealing valuable assets for another player.  We might not have been able to acquire a forward quite of the quality you're alluding to, but there was some decent talent out there that went pretty cheap after the initial run on the big names. 

Bring them up, send them down

RALEIGH, NCRon Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has reassigned defenseman Rasmus Rissanen to the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL). Rissanen was recalled to the Hurricanes on Tuesday, but did not play in the team’s 1-0 overtime win at Colorado on Wednesday. He will join the Checkers in Grand Rapids, MI, in advance of their game against the Griffins on Friday.

Bring them up, send them down

At least Rissanen got a couple of days pay at the NHL rate. Let's see, so far Rissanen, Biega, and Pesce; maybe it's Slavins turn next?

At least Rissanen got a couple of days pay at the NHL rate. Let's see, so far Rissanen, Biega, and Pesce; maybe it's Slavins turn next?

Maybe Slavin. Heck, if someone wants to pay my plane fare, give me tickets to the game and send me home smiling. I'm in. That's not going to happen.

Maybe Slavin. Heck, if someone wants to pay my plane fare, give me tickets to the game and send me home smiling. I'm in. That's not going to happen.

I'm in as well.  If I did my ciphering correctly, minimum NHL pay is $1,575.00 per day.

At this point, I don't see any goalie better than Cam in our system...including Lack.  If we can keep him, I'd be comfortable with a 3 year, 3 mil deal.  My issue with trading him is that it's a buyers market for goalies right now...and the crappy teams won't be going out looking for upgrades in trade partners.  Hell, Calgary just dumped Karri Ramo yesterday because they have a logjam. 

Right now, I don't think Cam's going anywhere.

3yr, 3mil?  I haven't seen Cam do anything last season or this season that's deserving of a 50% pay cut.  Maybe 25% for getting older and being on a team that hasen't made the playoffs. 

As far as Lack goes, it is early....but his first performance was rebound city. Reminded me of Justin Peters. This is where Cam is well above every goalie in the system and most in the NHL. He sucks everything up and we just get used to it until we see someone else popping them out left and right.