The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

It's getting tense around here, not that I don't understand why.  ;)

Think I'll take a break and go shoot some ducks and geese in Saskatchewan.  Maybe check out the action at a local rink one evening.

You folks figure this all out and I'll see you in a couple of weeks.

I expect a winning streak.

We got it. No problem. I know we're just on the verge of figuring this thing out on here.

Enjoy you're time up there, eh?

Don't look to me for answers. :huh:

Thanks, leaving in the AM for the 32 hour mega road trip hauling a trailer full of gear and two retrievers (dogs).  And XM, thank God. ;)

Edited by coastal_caniac

Win or lose, Mrs Dinz and I wil be celebrating our  5  year anniversary, where we got married, good ole  Raleigh, and  watching a  couple of   Hurricanes games.. I would trade Staal now, and dont worry about faulkie after a couple of bad games.. Lack?? hmmm

I have finally figured out the Staal problem ! During the first two months of the season Eric uses up his flex time to avoid losing it at the end. That way there won't be any vacation conflicts during a deep playoff run.

Think I'll take a break and go shoot some ducks and geese in Saskatchewan.  Maybe check out the action at a local rink one evening.....

When the going gets tough, the tough get to go? Enjoy the roadie, we got this.

I have to say, this thought crossed my mind. He didn't look happy and I thought his play was possibly a reflection of that. Then again, we never know which E. Staal is going to show up regardless of position.

Maybe he will start showing consistency because it is a contract year, maybe someone will hit his brother......

Heh. Great stuff.

I have to also say that I hear you on Skinner, Kyrule (over on the SJ GDT). Selfish, check. Needs to score, check. (Needs to CHECK, check!) But lumping him in with Jordan, I have to disagree. They are years apart in age and lightyears apart in ability.

I get that the numbers are your concern, and it's a great point. But I also think that Skinner gets the whole year, and probably next year, to return to form--unless, of course, the exactly right deal comes along (i.e., the one that never did this off-season). His NTC doesn't kick in until 2017-2018, so any deal between now and the 2017 TD will have to bring a whole lot back our way. But if he's still struggling as that TD approaches, I think he's an obvious salary dump, for any breathing winger over 5'-5", 150 lbs. :lol:

My guess is that BP (and RF, who was instrumental in drafting him) want him to become a playmaker. I think he's on the third line so he can learn the game at NHL speed, and on BP's system, and has been given that as his assignment this year. He certainly has the ability. He is also young enough that if he can add a dimension or two to his game, he can be a great piece for us. Who knows if it'll happen. But I have to think that when BP and RF are talking about our young players, he is one of the guys they are talking about.

Jordan? Well, zero points in eight games, and he's got an NTC. I really think the Staal boys are sticking it to us, and while I hate to think they would, their (lack of) play is pretty hard to ignore. I think they are packaged, and that if it doesn't get better real quick, I think it happens between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and that the deal is done with Toronto. That possibility (dealing both) would sure explain why we went out and got Ryan over the summer. If both Staals are gone, we're still covered at center. Not well, mind you, but able to play out the year and hope that whoever comes back in the deals begins to gel with the team in the second half and can be long-term pieces after that.

ALL OF THAT being said (and I'm sorry I went on so long), I have to agree with Lake: We are in for years of struggle. And that's a damn shame.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I agree, but I will say this: He [Lack} had incentive to find it last night, playing in his former conference. That he did not, and that our presumed next Captain was on the ice for four of their five goals, all of which came at even strength, does little to encourage me that these two will one day be the backbone of our D.

I know, I know - everybody has bad games. But I'd be feeling a lot better right now if these two hadn't thrown in such a clunker at a time when the incentive NOT to should carry the day.

And don't even get me started on what, optically at least, seems to be Eric's selfish response to being put back on the wing.

Two thoughts top:

The first is that I think there's as much a chance that Lack's poor performance might be due more to nerves/ trying too hard than lack of incentive.  I can tell you from experience that it's possible for an athlete to "try too hard". You can't achieve maximum performance when you're straining. Muscles get tight, you get rigid, and your reactions actually slow down rather than the opposite.  I'd wager that's the whole principle behind Cam Ward writing "Have Fun" on his stick before every game. I doubt it's that he doesn't take his job seriously, rather that in the past he's strained to do so well that it had a negative effect and he's focused on that "loose intensity" needed for optimal performance. 

Secondly, imo Faulk hasn't ever been a particularly strong defender but we tend not to acknowledge it for several reasons. One is that he's so good offensively that the total package is still quite a plus. Then you've got the age factor. We know that it generally takes a lot longer for d-men to develop than forwards.  And Faulk is so young I think we subconsciously want to give him the benefit of doubt along with some time.  And lately, as coastal pointed out, he's been a workhorse out there as far as putting up minutes.  I'm not sure if that contributes to mistakes or makes us more likely to forgive them, but he has been working hard. 

I hope it doesn't appear as if I'm trying to tear Faulk down; I just want to paint him in what I hope is a starkly objective light because I'd love to see him become a great all around d-man rather than just a great offensive d-man. And how can you work on areas that need improvement if you don't acknowledge such? (yes, I expect Justin to read these boards and say to himself "hmm, Lake thinks I need to work on my defensive abilities, maybe I should do X, Y, and Z in addition to working on my slap shot") :P  

Edited by LakeLivin

. . .

ALL OF THAT being said (and I'm sorry I went on so long), I have to agree with Lake: We are in for years of struggle. And that's a damn shame.

Just to clarify, I was pointing to what the Leafs were saying about their own rebuild when I said that.  I do think it will take time, but all last year and so far this year the team is playing hard (if not effectively).  Most of our games are competitive..  A break here and there and maybe things will turn at least tolerable.  Or maybe GMRF can work some magic on a blockbuster deal and speed things up?  One can always hope . . . 

edit: if we had at least 1 more legitimate top 6 forward I think I'd be more optimistic about our turnaround speed.  E.g., what if WE had picked up Joel Ward in the offseason? (yeah, I know , in addition to spending the $ a player has to want to come here . . .)

Edited by LakeLivin

Think I'll take a break and go shoot some ducks and geese in Saskatchewan.  Maybe check out the action at a local rink one evening.

You folks figure this all out and I'll see you in a couple of weeks.

I expect a winning streak.

Enjoy the road trip. I'm sure in a couple of weeks everything will be clearer but I doubt we will have figured it out.

The Penguins are at the bottom half in offensive stats, but they are a very potent team. The Sharks are the same way. And SJ's been without Logan Couture. They have Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Hertl, Ward, Burns. That's as talented of offense as there is in the nhl.

Well, Lack certainly made them look that way.  But truthfully you can look at pretty much any roster in the NHL and say they're potent and talented.  And i'm not saying the Sharks aren't, because they obviously are - but i'll still strongly debate them being top 3, particularly at this time.  And including Couture is utterly irrelevant because he didn't play, and the whole point of discussion is what Lack did face, not what he could have faced had everyone been healthy.

A back-to-back against a team on a 4-game win streak and a team on a 3-game losing streak - i'd say the losing streak was certainly the better time to put Lack back in.  As for the 'cold' argument, not playing for a few games certainly didn't stop Nash from scoring a goal, and he'd been out longer than Lack.  I'd love for Lack to get into a groove just as much as you would, and yes, i feel he could have gotten another start or two before Saturday night - but he didn't, so it was up to him to make his case for more.  But he didn't, and it wasn't because of top 3 potency and talent - it was because of a couple softies that trickled through that the Blue Jackets' 4th-liners could have poked home, much less the supposed top 3 talent he was facing.

Hey guys! Just checking in. Been trolling a bit but this is my first post of the season. I dumped all cable so I will be pretty much stuck with Chuck, which is not a bad thing by any means. I'll be depending on you guys for most Canes news and information. There's no better place in the universe than here for all that and I have no doubt that you'll come through as usual and I'll be in the know!

Yeah, its been a slow start, but what's new, right?

I know I'm a bit late to the party but I'm looking forward to, if all else, an interesting season as(hopefully) many issues get resolved and maybe some questions answered.

Anywhooo...

Just wanted to say Hey Y'all and Go Canes!

Edited by Whattausay

Good to see you back on board Whattausay. Maybe you will bring us some luck. It is another slow start season for the Canes but as you point out there are many issues yet to be resolved. I'm hoping we see improvement each month. Ok, I'm really hoping the hockey wizard waves his magic wand and we look like a playoff team but what are the odds.

Here's an article making the case for a Di Giuseppe call up:

http://cardiaccane.com/2015/10/22/carolina-hurricanes-phil-di-giuseppe-worthy-of-a-call-up-after-hot-start-with-checkers/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=NextPost

"Dating back to last season, Di Giuseppe, 20, has tallied a staggering 11 points in his last 6 games."

Why not? Can't do much worse than Terry at this point. Of course like everyone, he's listed as a LW. Still, why not?

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/10/26/canes-face-tough-call-on-hanifin-as-do-other-teams-with-their-rookies/

And an article about Noah Hanifin getting close to the 10th game and full on burn of first year's contract on a 2-6 team if he stays in Raleigh.

I don't think it's much choice really. He is handling the NHL well, and he'd have to stay in Charlotte with no call ups to not burn that year anyways. Rare 18 yo defensive player that will develope better in the NHL, I think.

Can't imagine he doesn't stay here, but food for some thought I guess.

Edited by remkin

Just to clarify, I was pointing to what the Leafs were saying about their own rebuild when I said that.  I do think it will take time, but all last year and so far this year the team is playing hard (if not effectively).  Most of our games are competitive..  A break here and there and maybe things will turn at least tolerable.  Or maybe GMRF can work some magic on a blockbuster deal and speed things up?  One can always hope . . . 

edit: if we had at least 1 more legitimate top 6 forward I think I'd be more optimistic about our turnaround speed.  E.g., what if WE had picked up Joel Ward in the offseason? (yeah, I know , in addition to spending the $ a player has to want to come here . . .)

Yeah, sorry for not stating it was regarding the Leafs, but my larger point is that it's going to take time no matter the market when the details relevant to keeping the team in the mix have been neglected for so long.

Regarding Faulk, I too hope he becomes the D guy we need. But lordy that was an awful night in SJ. And re Lack, I take your point about nerves, and have experienced it myself as well. But if he was ever going to feel comfortable, you'd think it'd be against a team from his former conference. And the only thing I'll come back with re the nerves: He certainly showed none when coming in for Miller last year. I guess my point is that we expected a loosey-goosey type whose ability to have have fun would continue and maybe become a contagion. Not saying it won't still happen; indeed, I think it can. But again, what crappy timing to throw such a clunker. 

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/10/26/canes-face-tough-call-on-hanifin-as-do-other-teams-with-their-rookies/

And an article about Noah Hanifin getting close to the 10th game and full on burn of first year's contract on a 2-6 team if he stays in Raleigh.

I don't think it's much choice really. He is handling the NHL well, and he'd have to stay in Charlotte with no call ups to not burn that year anyways. Rare 18 yo defensive player that will develope better in the NHL, I think.

Can't imagine he doesn't stay here, but food for some thought I guess.

There is zero question on this, IMO. The org laid the groundwork for him making the team and staying here from the day he was signed, in all its comments. (Stuff like "He's developed as much as he's going to, being the AHL won't add anything.")

He is a rarity, though, and seems to already have the maturity Myers lacked. 

Yeah, sorry for not stating it was regarding the Leafs, but my larger point is that it's going to take time no matter the market when the details relevant to keeping the team in the mix have been neglected for so long.

Regarding Faulk, I too hope he becomes the D guy we need. But lordy that was an awful night in SJ. And re Lack, I take your point about nerves, and have experienced it myself as well. But if he was ever going to feel comfortable, you'd think it'd be against a team from his former conference. And the only thing I'll come back with re the nerves: He certainly showed none when coming in for Miller last year. I guess my point is that we expected a loosey-goosey type whose ability to have have fun would continue and maybe become a contagion. Not saying it won't still happen; indeed, I think it can. But again, what crappy timing to throw such a clunker. 

Yeah, we're in agreement about it taking time.  I guess the semi-bright spot is that we've been reasonably competitive, at least imo.  From that perspective we haven't been in the same class as the Sabres, Leafs, or Oil (even though our record hasn't been much better).  So hopefully our turnaround will be a bit quicker. On the other hand, the organization seems mostly committed to turning it around through the draft and development, which by definition will take some time. We at least attempted to replace Sekera by bringing in Wiz; I just wish we had done the same regarding a proven winger to replace Tlusty.

There's a couple of potential factors that could contribute to Lack being tight (if that's what he was). Could be he really wanted to impress his new teammates and the Raleigh fans.  That was not only just his 2nd game with the Canes, I'm pretty sure he didn't even get to Raleigh until a week or so before camp began, so he's only been in town for what, a month or so?  Heck, a certain personality type might even feel more pressure to play up to a new relatively big $ contract than he did before signing it. At least that's what I"m hoping, because that last performance was awful and if a dose of nerves contributed to it, that's a relatively easy fix. :crossfingers: 

I hope they don't trade Jordan Staal.  He is such a contributor to the team wearing the A so well while leading by example and skating hard every shift, every game and always fighting for the puck in the 'dirty areas'. Its awesome watching him use his big 6'4" 225lb frame to pound and punish defensemen and wingers in the offensive corners like they're little more than Bantam B players.  He is such a beast. A leader. That Canes commercial is spot on showing Jordan working out and suggesting he will lead the team offensively this season because he is so gifted offensively.  No cement hands on this lad.  He is exactly what the Canes need.  A team that after 8 games is averging 2.1 goals a game.  Jordans contribution simply cannot be overstated with his 0 Goals and 0 Assists to date.  Just a wicked player. Please Ronnie, keep him.

I hope they don't trade Jordan Staal.  He is such a contributor to the team wearing the A so well while leading by example and skating hard every shift, every game and always fighting for the puck in the 'dirty areas'. Its awesome watching him use his big 6'4" 225lb frame to pound and punish defensemen and wingers in the offensive corners like they're little more than Bantam B players.  He is such a beast. A leader. That Canes commercial is spot on showing Jordan working out and suggesting he will lead the team offensively this season because he is so gifted offensively.  No cement hands on this lad.  He is exactly what the Canes need.  A team that after 8 games is averging 2.1 goals a game.  Jordans contribution simply cannot be overstated with his 0 Goals and 0 Assists to date.  Just a wicked player. Please Ronnie, keep him.

I can't tell if you're serious or trying to be some sort of elaborate troll.  Either way this post made me laugh so kudos for that.

"Does Jordan Staal have what it takes to come out of the gate and the lead the Canes offense?"

Edited by bluedevil58

That's the most sarcastic post I think anyone's ever typed on here and I love it. 

Raleigh even puts "Jordans contribution simply cannot be overstated with his 0 Goals and 0 Assists to date." just in case you were wondering if he's nuts lol.

Edited by legend-1

74 games to go, after November, i will give my thinking of the team, lots of home games, i know, 95 percent how you feel ,where we   arent standing i would say...

Yeah, we're in agreement about it taking time.  I guess the semi-bright spot is that we've been reasonably competitive, at least imo.  From that perspective we haven't been in the same class as the Sabres, Leafs, or Oil (even though our record hasn't been much better).  So hopefully our turnaround will be a bit quicker. On the other hand, the organization seems mostly committed to turning it around through the draft and development, which by definition will take some time. We at least attempted to replace Sekera by bringing in Wiz; I just wish we had done the same regarding a proven winger to replace Tlusty.

There's a couple of potential factors that could contribute to Lack being tight (if that's what he was). Could be he really wanted to impress his new teammates and the Raleigh fans.  That was not only just his 2nd game with the Canes, I'm pretty sure he didn't even get to Raleigh until a week or so before camp began, so he's only been in town for what, a month or so?  Heck, a certain personality type might even feel more pressure to play up to a new relatively big $ contract than he did before signing it. At least that's what I"m hoping, because that last performance was awful and if a dose of nerves contributed to it, that's a relatively easy fix. :crossfingers:

I'm hoping so too. The lack (eesh, ignore that) of rebound control has me a little concerned, though. Hopefully working with Cam helps. And I'm still of the firm belief that we sign Cam for another three years.