The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

I hope they don't trade Jordan Staal.  He is such a contributor to the team wearing the A so well while leading by example and skating hard every shift, every game and always fighting for the puck in the 'dirty areas'. Its awesome watching him use his big 6'4" 225lb frame to pound and punish defensemen and wingers in the offensive corners like they're little more than Bantam B players.  He is such a beast. A leader. That Canes commercial is spot on showing Jordan working out and suggesting he will lead the team offensively this season because he is so gifted offensively.  No cement hands on this lad.  He is exactly what the Canes need.  A team that after 8 games is averging 2.1 goals a game.  Jordans contribution simply cannot be overstated with his 0 Goals and 0 Assists to date.  Just a wicked player. Please Ronnie, keep him.

Post of the year so far. Hands. Freakin'. Down.

Since raleighcaniac went there, it got me thinking...maybe Lack is in cahoots with Cam. I mean it makes sense. Lack got his deal, now he makes sure that the Canes don't feel comfortable going with just him, so Cam can get his deal. As soon as Cam gets signed Lack starts playing like a stud, then Cam buys Lack a nice car and everyone's happy.

Since raleighcaniac went there, it got me thinking...maybe Lack is in cahoots with Cam. I mean it makes sense. Lack got his deal, now he makes sure that the Canes don't feel comfortable going with just him, so Cam can get his deal. As soon as Cam gets signed Lack starts playing like a stud, then Cam buys Lack a nice car and everyone's happy.

I'd be happy.  Maybe they can even tank enough in the process to get Matthews...

I'd be happy.  Maybe they can even tank enough in the process to get Matthews...

Realm,   its a bummer, that you are into tank mode...  :mellow:  

I too don't see Hanifin being sent down but man you really gotta step back and wonder if this is what's best for him.  You would think playing against NHL'ers for 82 games would make you better but playing on this particular team of pansy losers has to be draining as an 18 year old. He's a professional but he's still a highly impressionable kid whose got Eric Staal leading by example.

Losing isn't the worst thing in the world when you consider this team isn't sticking up for each other that's frankly going to lead to injuries before much longer.

I don't see him being sent down but I really wouldn't be surprised if RF decides to protect his assets and get him out of here for a year. I would hope that as he does that he has a sit down about why and that it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with this pack of frickin losers.

Legend, I agree with you wholeheartedly.  Being a 3rd pair dman on a bad team is not a good way to orient a player into the league.  It's not that I don't think he the ability to perform good in that role, but it might best serve him to go down for the season's remainder.

Well, Lack certainly made them look that way.  But truthfully you can look at pretty much any roster in the NHL and say they're potent and talented.  And i'm not saying the Sharks aren't, because they obviously are - but i'll still strongly debate them being top 3, particularly at this time.  And including Couture is utterly irrelevant because he didn't play, and the whole point of discussion is what Lack did face, not what he could have faced had everyone been healthy.

A back-to-back against a team on a 4-game win streak and a team on a 3-game losing streak - i'd say the losing streak was certainly the better time to put Lack back in.  As for the 'cold' argument, not playing for a few games certainly didn't stop Nash from scoring a goal, and he'd been out longer than Lack.  I'd love for Lack to get into a groove just as much as you would, and yes, i feel he could have gotten another start or two before Saturday night - but he didn't, so it was up to him to make his case for more.  But he didn't, and it wasn't because of top 3 potency and talent - it was because of a couple softies that trickled through that the Blue Jackets' 4th-liners could have poked home, much less the supposed top 3 talent he was facing.

There's a difference in saying any team is potent offensively (which isn't true), and the Sharks.  All of those players I mentioned have been either Future Hall of Famers, recent All Stars, Olympic Medal winners, and/or Calder finalist.  Not to mention with the exception of last year, San Jose has been a powerhouse in the tough Western Conference, and will probably be back to that form this year.  And i'm not just saying that because SJ's my 2nd favorite team.

I said it in the Sharks gdt and i'll say it here, I'm not excusing Lack's play.  It's obvious he could've played better, I'm not disputing the fact.  I'm just stating that the 2nd and 4th goal he let in were results of 2 on 1 breakaways for SJ, and one goal he was interfered with.  I'm not ready to make Lack the scapegoat or whipping boy.  When a team loses, no one person is to blame.  Even if Lack was sharper (or at least sharper) it still would've taken a perfect game by our players to win against a team that was playing tired and half-hearted.  That should be the real concern of this team.  We can't expect to score 2 goals (3 goals in 3 games), and expect to win on a nightly basis.

I said it in the Sharks gdt and i'll say it here, I'm not excusing Lack's play.  It's obvious he could've played better, I'm not disputing the fact.  I'm just stating that the 2nd and 4th goal he let in were results of 2 on 1 breakaways for SJ, and one goal he was interfered with.  I'm not ready to make Lack the scapegoat or whipping boy.  When a team loses, no one person is to blame.  Even if Lack was sharper (or at least sharper) it still would've taken a perfect game by our players to win against a team that was playing tired and half-hearted.  That should be the real concern of this team.  We can't expect to score 2 goals (3 goals in 3 games), and expect to win on a nightly basis.

I can't dispute that one.  Lack certainly didn't steal a game for the team, but he can't be faulted for the whole thing either.  2 goals wins very few games in today's NHL.  Peace.

I too don't see Hanifin being sent down but man you really gotta step back and wonder if this is what's best for him.  You would think playing against NHL'ers for 82 games would make you better but playing on this particular team of pansy losers has to be draining as an 18 year old. He's a professional but he's still a highly impressionable kid whose got Eric Staal leading by example.

Losing isn't the worst thing in the world when you consider this team isn't sticking up for each other that's frankly going to lead to injuries before much longer.

I don't see him being sent down but I really wouldn't be surprised if RF decides to protect his assets and get him out of here for a year. I would hope that as he does that he has a sit down about why and that it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with this pack of frickin losers.

well,  this sounds like another site, think i need a break, ya think we played 50   games already...aaaaaaaaahhh whats the use..

Hannifins been playing hockey his whole life, he knows what its like to be on winning and losing teams.  He's not a little kid that we have to protect from the scary part of losing.  He can handle it, especially when he sees his first big paychecks.  Eric Staal played on a winning team that won a cup his second year in.  That didn't make him better did it?.  Nothing wrong with struggling and earning it a bit.  He'll work harder and appreciate the ups and downs more.  I doubt RF sends down one of our two bright spots on the team. He is one of the reasons I'm still gonna watch 60mins a night 82 games this year.  He's fine here and Im sure if you asked him he wants to stay bad.  He also knew he was coming into a failure of a team and was part of a semi/full rebuild that might take a couple years.  

I'd be absolutely shocked if the Canes sent Hanifin to the Chex, especially with Wiz out for the year. Not only would it mean that GMRF is giving up on the season already, it would be openly telling Canes fans that he's doing so.  Plus, before Hanifin made the decision not to return to college, I bet GMRF came to an informal understanding with him about where he'd be playing this year based on different situations.  I doubt that sending Han to the Chex because the Canes aren't winning was one of the scenarios discussed.

edit: also, Han clearly seems to have the type of disposition where he can handle the immediate jump to the NHL.  Some of our other yutes, not so much.

Edited by LakeLivin

Since I posted the link, it was really just speculation on the author's part, but the issues were about being around the losing, and burning a year of entry contract in a losing season.

I personally think he will develop better in the NHL because of how advanced he is and his maturity level. Just seems that if he is already playing at an NHL level that he would develop best in that situation. Amazing, unusual, but he's that good.

Sending Hanifin down now would only be to save a year on his entry level deal. It would send a tremendous message to the team and the fans about the season just a few games in. While I am not delusional and think this team is going anywhere, they still have tickets to sell.

Well, just to contribute....

Have any of you seen the "Face lift the PNC arena is getting?" Does that mean we will have NEW players on the walls and windows?

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/pnc-arena-set-to-undergo-multimillion-dollar-facelift/15025140/

:facepalm:  :facepalm2:  :jester:

This has its own topic New Look Canes...Arena

for those who want to discuss it

Sending Hanifin down now would only be to save a year on his entry level deal. It would send a tremendous message to the team and the fans about the season just a few games in. While I am not delusional and think this team is going anywhere, they still have tickets to sell.

Not to mention the message to Hanifin himself.  Wait an extra year to get paid cause we suck, and oh by the way you get AHL money this season too.

If you want this guy to stay when he becomes UFA you treat him well now.

Why is it that Hanfin is eligible for the AHL this year and Fleury is not?

Hanifin didn't sign a contract with juniors.

Hanifan came from college. Once he signed he forfeited his college eligibility. Fleury came from Juniors in Canada and the agreement between the NHL and Canadian Junior Leagues requires that a player who does not stay in the NHL go back to Juniors until he is 20     (I think). Most players from Juniors have 2 more years after they are drafted unless they stick in the NHL.

I received an email from the Canes today announcing "Tickets for Turkeys" in the subject line.  I'm like, "Good Lord, is THIS what they're calling us now?!?"  :lol:

It actually looks like a nice initiative, discount tickets with proceeds from the sales going to feed the local needy.  But man, what a name, 'tickets for turkeys'...I was sure they were talking about me and the other saps that bought tickets this season... :unsure:

With the Ducks really stinking it up, how about Staal / Staal / Skinner for Getzlaf / Perry / Kesler? :couch:

Edited by hopper915