The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

With the Ducks really stinking it up, how about Staal / Staal / Skinner for Getzlaf / Perry / Kesler? :couch:

LOL! Will have to wait 'til Getzlaf heals from his appendectomy, I guess. ;-)

Where I don't give any weight to some of the hockey websites out there, TFP's editor-an-chief, David Pagnotta, had quite a lot to say about the team, E.Staal, C.Ward, and a few others players. http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnists/pagnotta/dp151027.html

Interesting reading, I will say.

Pagnotta has no clue what he's talking about, at least regarding Wardo. He is fundamentally sound and has been very consistent so far. I love when these "experts" who pay no attention to the Canes - until they realize they haven't written about them lately - take the view from 30,000 feet and try to sound not merely knowledgeable, but authoritative.  Mr. Pagnotta: FAIL.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Pagnotta has no clue what he's talking about, at least regarding Wardo. He is fundamentally sound and has been very consistent so far. I love when these "experts" who pay no attention to the Canes - until they realize they haven't written about them lately - take the view from 30,000 feet and try to sound not merely knowledgeable, but authoritative.  Mr. Pagnotta: FAIL.

This article is about dead on with most of the posts on this forum. The intricacies may be different, but the ideas remain the same.

The only thing I read about Ward was that he thinks we should trade him (and Staal) and that he thinks Ward will be harder to trade. I didn't really find anything inaccurate, but Caniac5 wrote, nothing really all that new or interesting either.

He did add this update:

UPDATE (9:38pm ET) -- I was able to connect with Staal and Ward's agent, Rick Curran, this evening, and he informed me that he and Francis plan to "revisit both players' situation" some time between U.S. Thanksgiving and Christmas.

He declined to comment further, but I would have to image that if the Hurricanes received a sweet offer for either player that they would consider, they'll approach Curran about it. And even if both sides agree that a trade is the best option for Staal and/or Ward, making a move by the end of the calendar year still creates cap issues and the creativity in making a move is still very much needed.

The next month will undoubtedly be the deciding factor in what approach all parties want to take.

This is the first time I've seen that time frame explicitly stated by their agent. It is  probably just too hard to make a trade before then , but it also does suggest that if this team is not in the hunt, it is either deep discount or trade time.

Going to need a winning streak to avoid that.

I agree the article was fair enough. We now have a time-line for Staal's agent and Francis to talk. Suggesting trading Staal and Ward is only an opinion not a fact. Just how bad we are or will be is an opinion, nothing more. But if we did find game everyone must admit we would be exceeding almost everyones expectations including our own.

I agree the article was fair enough. We now have a time-line for Staal's agent and Francis to talk. Suggesting trading Staal and Ward is only an opinion not a fact. Just how bad we are or will be is an opinion, nothing more. But if we did find game everyone must admit we would be exceeding almost everyones expectations including our own.

We've already exceeded mine by winning 3 games in October with potential, slim as it may be, for more.  Actually it's not entirely slim, either - we've already beat one of our remaining October opponents once this month.

Is this team really better off without Ward? I don't. I feel he should be resigned to a more reasonable 4m/year contract.   I agree, a  4 year  deal.... Cam is back on the beam. we the need  the scorers to score!

Having a .900 or better SV% on this team in the past 6 years is frankly amazing we've brought in several outsiders over the year who on other teams with better defensive support were amazing and couldn't hack it here. Still hoping Lack isn't the next casualty of that.

Canes are currently 28th in the league in "goals for per game".

27th in 14/15

22nd in 13/14

14th in 12/13(lockout shortened season)

16th in 11/12

12th in 10/11

13th in 09/10

From the 09/10 season until now, the Canes rank 25th in the league in "goals for per game". There were actually some decent seasons in there during the playoff drought. What is painfully true is that scoring has fallen to extremely bad levels. It's honestly hard to place the blame on the goalie with that sort of goal support.

Edited by super_dave_1

I wasn't trying to fire up the anti BP lynch mob. I was trying to point out that goalies don't have a lot of success always playing from behind. I was surprised that the team was middle of the pack in scoring for quite a while and that the excessive scoring drought was fairly recent (if you can call 3 years "recent"). Since the coach has been replaced twice in the last 6 years, I do think you need to look at players first.

The team doesn't have an identity.

I am not convinced that BP is the right coach for this team. I don't see the young guys getting better, and I don't think Skinner is being used properly. Skinner is a offensive player, and playing on the third line, with less talented players, really doesn't use Skinner's talent. I am not a big Skinner fan, but he is not going to help this team with his defence. Also, BP's big thing was accountability, and the only guy really held accountable was Semin. Well, he's gone, but the results are about the same.

This article is about dead on with most of the posts on this forum. The intricacies may be different, but the ideas remain the same.

I guess you overlooked where I said "at least as far as Ward is concerned."

Pagnotta wants to make Lack our number one based on half a season with another team. That, my friend, is cluelessness, I don't care where you come from. :)

Edited by top-shelf-1

I am not convinced that BP is the right coach for this team. ..... Also, BP's big thing was accountability, and the only guy really held accountable was Semin. Well, he's gone, but the results are about the same.

Well, seems Montreal sees what BP did:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/alex-semin--nhl-s-scapegoat--scratched-by-canadiens-195326905.html

I am not convinced that BP is the right coach for this team. I don't see the young guys getting better, and I don't think Skinner is being used properly. Skinner is a offensive player, and playing on the third line, with less talented players, really doesn't use Skinner's talent. I am not a big Skinner fan, but he is not going to help this team with his defence. Also, BP's big thing was accountability, and the only guy really held accountable was Semin. Well, he's gone, but the results are about the same.

What the folks calling for BP's head don't recognize - or at least are unwilling to admit - is that no coach is going to turn around any team whose foundation was ignored as long as this one's was, in one season. Or two. BP got a 3-year deal. Calling for his head and all the instability that such a change would bring just 92 games into a 246-game deal is senseless.

Both RF and BP have said this org needs to build through the draft. We've now had one draft with this management team, and we have picks galore coming up. I'm as eager to win as anyone, but thinking of a coach as a magic wand is only going to disappoint those who do so.

I am not calling for his head, and I recognize this team has a long way to go, but I do not see much development from the young guys. Also, Skinner is a scorer, but, I think he needs to play with more talented players in order to maximize his talent.

Isles coach Capuano:

". . . That team is going to win a lot of games this year. … That is one of the better teams that we have played. Don't go by their record."

I don't know if I'd go that far, especially if our forwards don't somehow jump start themselves, but it's still nice to hear.

Edited by LakeLivin

Isles coach Capuano:

". . . That team is going to win a lot of games this year. … That is one of the better teams that we have played. Don't go by their record."

I think the Red Wings would say the same about this team.