The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

Just watching some NHL On The Fly this morning and they had their Top 10 Saves of the Week feature and Cam Ward had an amazing 3 of the Top 10! The two big saves versus the Caps were in there and the sprawling desperation save versus Colorado was Number One for the week. Impressive.

So far this season I have been impressed with the play of Nash. It looks like he spent the off season working on becoming a three zone player.

I am not calling for his head, and I recognize this team has a long way to go, but I do not see much development from the young guys. Also, Skinner is a scorer, but, I think he needs to play with more talented players in order to maximize his talent.

I get your feeling this way, but we saw what happened last season when BP just let Skinner do what Skinner has done: Not much. Taken with winger52's observation below about Nash, and then with what we're seeing on the ice from both of them and where they are being slotted, I think we can conclude that BP is more interested in grooming everybody to play a three-zone game. His comment last year that if Skinner wasn't scoring he had to do other things was telling, IMO, and I think he is determined to make Skinner as defensively responsible as he is offensively explosive. 

As for Nash, he had already impressed me as a stay-at-home kinda guy, more defensively oriented - but if he can take advantage of his size in the O zone, he will be adding a dimension, too. So limiting these guys' ice time on Line 3 allows them to learn from the bench as well as on the ice. We are (finally) shifting our focus toward developing guys who understand and play fundamentally solid hockey in all three zones, while insisting that the vets who already know how to play sound hockey at this level set the tone. This will ultimately lead to four solid lines, all of which are viable threats.

So far this season I have been impressed with the play of Nash. It looks like he spent the off season working on becoming a three zone player.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Chiming in here, and it certainly gets easier with a "streak" going, haha, but I am quietly building some hopes for this season.Certainly October has started off on a more positive note, but how could it not? The team seemed to play a somewhat helter-smelter game at 1st last pm, but structure came out later. Will be at the game tonight to see if there in person play mimics what we see on TV, so hope I'm not disappointed.

I still contend, as I'm sure many of you will echo, that If the Big Boys start taking the hint for our youngsters, this is a good, not yet great team, that might sneak in on playoffs this year?

Canes are currently 28th in the league in "goals for per game". | Goals Against Per Game

FOR               |   AGAINST

28th in 14/15  |  21st

27th in 14/15      |  18th

22nd in 13/14      |   19th

14th in 12/13      |   29th              (lockout shortened season)

16th in 11/12      |   25th

12th in 10/11       |   22nd

13th in 09/10      |   26th

From the 09/10 season until now, the Canes rank 25th in the league in "goals for per game". There were actually some decent seasons in there during the playoff drought. What is painfully true is that scoring has fallen to extremely bad levels. It's honestly hard to place the blame on the goalie with that sort of goal support.

Your point is valid, but given that Canes mgmt committed to transitioning to playing a more responsible all around game, don't you want to consider Goals For in conjunction with Goals Against?  Looks like the drop in Canes scoring came with a corresponding decrease in opponents scoring.  Which is not to say we don't need to improve our anemic scoring from our forwards if we're going to challenge for a playoff spot. Clearly we do. :)

Edited by LakeLivin

Chiming in here, and it certainly gets easier with a "streak" going, haha, but I am quietly building some hopes for this season.Certainly October has started off on a more positive note, but how could it not? The team seemed to play a somewhat helter-smelter game at 1st last pm, but structure came out later. Will be at the game tonight to see if there in person play mimics what we see on TV, so hope I'm not disappointed.

I still contend, as I'm sure many of you will echo, that If the Big Boys start taking the hint for our youngsters, this is a good, not yet great team, that might sneak in on playoffs this year?

I dunno, Kjun.  On the one hand, even last year the team played hard and was competitive most nights (at least until we dumped Sekera and Tlusty). On the other hand, I look at our current roster and I think our talent level is definitely below that of the top half of the league. 

If we were to make a serious run at a playoff spot, rather than the "is Peters right for the job" sentiment heard from some here lately, I'd have him as a Coach of the Year candidate.  But that's still a pretty big step for this team to take.  We'll see. :crossfingers:

Yeah.  But the one bummer is he is hurt.  If you saw it last night, there was a moment where they showed the bench, and you could see Nasher was in pain and messing with his shoulder.

Hopefully, whatever he is working through will continue to get better.

Just watching some NHL On The Fly this morning and they had their Top 10 Saves of the Week feature and Cam Ward had an amazing 3 of the Top 10! The two big saves versus the Caps were in there and the sprawling desperation save versus Colorado was Number One for the week. Impressive.

Speaking of the save versus the Avalanche, I noticed on NHL.com that Matt Duchene got stoned again with a very similar save last night, this time by Bishop of Tampa Bay. With the blocker ths time, but similar left-to-right move and dive....

There are signs of life in this team. I am not taking the covers off the boat slips on the Island, but there are signs.

In no particular order:

Pesce is ready. The kid is already better than all of the other contenders for the spot Wiz unfortunatly opened up. This will help this year, but just that much better for the kind of D we will ice in a couple of years. We had to fill Wiz's spot. As Lake pointed out, this team was competetive last year from Jordan's return until we dumped Sekera (and Tlusty, though mainly Sekera). After that? Well that's how we got Hanifin.

McGinn is ready. I am proud to have been very early on m'boy from the very first time he showed up in his first prospect camp. He plays all three zones right, and is physical, oh and he is our #3 forward point getter on a ppg basis. He is far from his peak too. He will only get better.

Hanifin is ready. He will have some hiccups and won't be the All Star that he will surely become soon, but he is better than, oh say Brett Belemore or Michael Jordan already.

Murphy is starting to show more offense. He only has two points, but he was really creating in the o zone last night. This one is still more 'iffy'  but if he keeps moving in the right direction it could come. Despite his low points, and admitting to his somewhat protected minutes, he is leading the team in plus minus while playing with an 18 yo partner.

Jordan Staal is off the Schneid. If this brings his offensive game, this will help a lot. We often forget that while E. has no elite winger, J gets even lesser ones. If he can will some points, like both of those very strong assists last night....that will help greatly.

Goaltending. What a hidden gem we have here. Anyone purusing the stats will look at our goaltenders and think, "Oh, sorry for you". But would they ever be wrong. In the opposite way that Jordan got off the Schneid, Lack got off the jitters. He put in a solid game. He is a solid goalie, and I'm thinking it starts showing now. And Cam is the poster child for unfair stats. Cam has been hung completely out to dry so often and so completely, that his save % is stunningly good. We won't go anywhere, let alone an Island, without very good goaltending, and we're getting it.

Eric is building a season. He is looking better more often. I still think the guy needs an elite winger, but they don't grow on trees, so we wait and hope that Lindholm or Skinner or someone can get it done there. Who knows what ends up happening with him and there's a lot of history there, and he's not John Tavares, but we are better if we can find a way to have him than not. And even if you don't agree long term, any chance for this year will depend on him being here.

Versteeg is on a 40 point pace, which will only bump up if....

"I have not yet begun to fight". Lindholm and Skinner are GOING to find some offense. it is just a matter of "when". Skinner is getting close, almost had a couple in each of the last two games. Lindholm is playing a solid defensive game, but needs to find his confidence offensively. Seriously, if these two every get going it will change a lot for the better.

I break down the season and find 2 games out of 10 that we were completely outclassed. When that was 2 of 4 games, which it was early, that was pretty depressing, but now that is 2 out of 10 games, and has not happened for 5 straight games now, including some very good teams. Much less depressing.

So this team had 2 home games and 8 road games. We have 8 of a possible 20 points. Really, that is not terrible all of the sudden.

American Thanksgiving. This is the universally accepted date of reckoning for this team. From now until then we have 12 games. TEN of them are at home, and there is only one 3 games in 4 nights stretch. We sit 3 points from the playoffs (though have played more games).

And this is a team, with a lot of young players, that should really get better as we go.

Where we go in the next 12 is far from sure, but we are back in it, and we have a chance again to surprise.

Edited by remkin

Surprisingly, so far I'd say that Pesce is looking even better than Hanifin. But then I have to remind myself that although both are rookies, Pesce is 2 years older than Hanifin.  Which is a point not meant to detract from either; bottom line is that I couldn't be more pleased with the prospects for our blueline going forward.

Yeah.  But the one bummer is he is hurt.  If you saw it last night, there was a moment where they showed the bench, and you could see Nasher was in pain and messing with his shoulder.

Hopefully, whatever he is working through will continue to get better.

You say potato, I say this is the perfect example of EXACTLY the attitude we need.  :lol:  He scored in his first game back and is playing through it without settling for just being a body out there filling a spot. He has a great chance here and knows it, and he's not going to let a little boo-boo stop him, or use it as an excuse. 

And that, my friend, is the difference between a million a year guy and a franchise player - ANY franchise player - who doesn't see his contract for the insurance policy it really is. If you keep playing the way that got you "there" when you made it and (heaven forbid) suffer a career-ending injury, you and your family will be taken care of, regardless. I don't wish that on anyone, but it's an important point, because when guys play aggressively regardless of any transient physical issues, the adrenaline takes over. That style of play seriously curtails the risk of such injuries. It's just physics - and the real bonus: It makes for waaaaaay better results in the W/L column.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Your point is valid, but given that Canes mgmt committed to transitioning to playing a more responsible all around game, don't you want to consider Goals For in conjunction with Goals Against?  Looks like the drop in Canes scoring came with a corresponding decrease in opponents scoring.  Which is not to say we don't need to improve our anemic scoring from our forwards if we're going to challenge for a playoff spot. Clearly we do. :)

Well, if you want to hang your hat on being 21st in "goals against" then, I guess.  I'm just saying it's hard to win when you don't score.  I may not be a rocket surgeon, but I'd bet my hat on that idea.

Well, if you want to hang your hat on being 21st in "goals against" then, I guess.  I'm just saying it's hard to win when you don't score.  I may not be a rocket surgeon, but I'd bet my hat on that idea.

Oh, absolutely no disagreement here (although I do expect this years 21st so far to improve going forward, what with Pesce presumably replacing Jordan, Murphy starting to show something, added experience for the yutes as the season progresses, etc.)  I was just pointing out that the decrease in scoring you pointed out seems to be coincide with our commitment to a more responsible all around game.

But our record would indicate that just the change in focus hasn't been enough in and of itself. The question is, why?  Is it that the change in style isn't paying the dividends we'd like or maybe more the players we're icing?  I'm guessing more the latter than the former, because when I picture this group focusing on offense at the expense of defensive responsibility, well, it's kind of frightening.  But maybe I'm being biased by my perception that a good proportion of our forwards are overslotted . . .  

Edited by LakeLivin

I still maintain that we are a couple of high speed/skill wingers short of being where we need to be offensively.

That said, we really do have a store of potential goal production in guys we have who have just not gotten to their game. Hey, they need to and the coach to the extent he can, needs to try to help them.

But particularly, Jordan Staal, Skinner and Lindholm. Last night Jordan showed up and we got a win we would not have gotten without him. If say, Skinner finds the goal tonight, maybe we get another, then Lindholm starts finding it. Of course there is no guarantee it happens and recent history isn't really encouraging, but these guys have it in them and if they start finding it, this whole goal scoring thing could change.

We are a different team with Pesce and Nash in the lineup. Both are defensively smart and can jump into the offensive mix. Pesce guards the puck so well using his body positioning, it is impressive. Nash has been in the mix and adds value. If Lindholm and Skins could cut off the shackles we can see more wins. 

I want to make this point separately. I was listening to NHL on XM the other day, and someone was talking about why Calgary was not having the kind of results they expected (now 2-7-1) and the commentator suggested that their results last year were a lot about showing up and outhustling the other team the good majority of nights, and that this year, they may have forgotten that.

I don't know, I don't follow them closely enough, but I do think that it pertains to us. There are teams that will generally be good enough to find wins even if they take a good number of nights off, and whatever we are, we are not that. But I do think we are good enough to sneak into the playoffs as structured, if we are consistently one of those always hard working teams.

Look at last night. The first two periods we were ok, not being manhandled like we were vs Florida and Washington, but also not really generating much of anything. It was a hang in there effort. Then some time in or near the third, the guys just started really pushing and skating and driving forward. The results were a complete change in the tilt of the ice. Luckily we were rewarded with two points in a very nice come from behind effort.

If we can find a bit of offense from some forwards, espeically those listed above, we have already clawed back into shooting distance.

Edited by remkin

I've said it (well, inferred it, at least) before and surely will again: The only thing separating guys at this level is who has the most will. You just don't get here if you haven't shown that you can bring it. 

Our guys just need to consistently bring it, and it feels like they're on the right track, for the first time in a long time.

I want to make this point separately. I was listening to NHL on XM the other day, and someone was talking about why Calgary was not having the kind of results they expected (now 2-7-1) and the commentator suggested that their results last year were a lot about showing up and outhustling the other team the good majority of nights, and that this year, they may have forgotten that.

I remember from the season previews on XM how Calgary broke all the conventional wisdom with lower number of shots, higher shooting percentage, while conversely the Canes had much better numbers in everything but scoring less than their results indicated.

Hockey was once described to me succinctly as one third skill, one third effort and one third luck.  

All the talk about "every time we make a mistake it is in our net" and the like indicates to me more than skill and effort, sometimes it is just bad luck.  I think Calgary used up a fair share of luck last season, and perhaps the Canes have been on a pretty bad luck streak for a few years.  

I don't think you can count on goals from McGinn shooting with the puck on edge, nor back to back to back GW goals from Hainsey (did you hear him say in the postgame "why not back to back, usually there are years between them").  But you also can't count on Skinner to keep missing, never getting a lucky deflection.  You do the right things and eventually probability rears its head, one way or the other.

Our skill could be better.  Our effort has been pretty good for the past 2 seasons (a couple of exceptions, you know who you are).  The luck, just maybe we are due for a bit of good fortune.

Edited by hag65

Our skill could be better.  Our effort has been pretty good for the past 2 seasons (a couple of exceptions, you know who you are).  The luck, just maybe we are due for a bit of good fortune.

I agree our skill could and needs to be better but I disagree that our effort has been pretty good the past two seasons. This is what irks me the most about this team. I can take a loss if everyone is breaking their buttocks out there, but it has been very inconsistent for years.

From my couch, the effort seems to have been lacking severely at times.  That is not the whole issue.  There has been a lack of talent that this team has been fighting for a long time.  This team has been playing with several players every year that wouldn't make any other NHL team's squad.  Just look at how many ex-Canes don't find gainful employment in the league and end up overseas or in the minors somewhere.

Look at a guy like Pat Dwyer.  He played significant minutes with the team for years.  After he was not signed by RF after his contract expired, the best he could do was a PTO with Arizona and he didn't make the cut.  He's now in Sweden.  Every team most likely has a fringe player or two, but it does seem like the Canes have had a lot of this type of thing.

I remember from the season previews on XM how Calgary broke all the conventional wisdom with lower number of shots, higher shooting percentage, while conversely the Canes had much better numbers in everything but scoring less than their results indicated.

Hockey was once described to me succinctly as one third skill, one third effort and one third luck.  

All the talk about "every time we make a mistake it is in our net" and the like indicates to me more than skill and effort, sometimes it is just bad luck.  I think Calgary used up a fair share of luck last season, and perhaps the Canes have been on a pretty bad luck streak for a few years.  

I don't think you can count on goals from McGinn shooting with the puck on edge, nor back to back to back GW goals from Hainsey (did you hear him say in the postgame "why not back to back, usually there are years between them").  But you also can't count on Skinner to keep missing, never getting a lucky deflection.  You do the right things and eventually probability rears its head, one way or the other.

Very good point about "luck" or in statistical terms, random variation.  While I would disagree that it's even close to 1/3 of the equation, I believe it's a very real component in the outcome of many sporting events, at least to some extent or another.  Many people discount it with aphorisms like "you make your own luck".  But consider these two examples:

The N.E. Patriots are the closest thing you'll get to an NFL dynasty with 4 championships in the last 14 years.  But remember Brady's fumble and the "tuck rule" call in the 2002 AFC Championship game?  Many people (other than die hard Pats fans) would consider them lucky to get that call. Without it they don't even make it to the Super Bowl that year. Then last year, while the Pats CB made a great play on that last interception, couldn't you make the case that the Pats were lucky that Carrol even called for a pass play in that situation instead of giving the ball to Marshawn Lynch?  Two plays that went their way due to what you could consider outside forces as much asw due to what the Pats did.  If those calls go the other way we aren't using the words "Patriots" and "Dynasty" in the same sentence. 

Or the 2014 Stanley Cup.  Kings won 4-1, a dominating performance, right? Remember that goalie interference non-call in game 2? Call easily could have gone the other way and if it did it's a 3-2 series. Then in game 5, Rags are up 2-1 with 12 minutes left in the third.  Tripping call against the RAgs that replay showed probably should have gone the other way.  Kings score on the PP and go on to win in 2 OT.  That tripping call goes against the Kings instead of the Rags and the game most likely goes the other way.  Now, out of 5 games it's the Rags up 3-2.  Who knows how the series might have ended up if those two calls had gone the other way?

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I do think that we didn't catch many breaks last year. Maybe that turns around and it starts a snow ball effect. One can always hope (or at least grasp at straws :P ). 

From my couch, the effort seems to have been lacking severely at times.  That is not the whole issue.  There has been a lack of talent that this team has been fighting for a long time.  This team has been playing with several players every year that wouldn't make any other NHL team's squad.  Just look at how many ex-Canes don't find gainful employment in the league and end up overseas or in the minors somewhere.

Look at a guy like Pat Dwyer.  He played significant minutes with the team for years.  After he was not signed by RF after his contract expired, the best he could do was a PTO with Arizona and he didn't make the cut.  He's now in Sweden.  Every team most likely has a fringe player or two, but it does seem like the Canes have had a lot of this type of thing.

I'm in complete agreement about the talent. 

But from my couch, put me in the "mostly played hard" camp.  Couple of player exceptions, and every team will have a few down games, but even after we were way out of it last year I thought most of the team played hard.   I didn't see the team in general mailing it in.

Maybe Calgary is this year's Colorado. The Avs went from 1st overall pick (McKinnon) to the playoffs 2 years ago, then back to the bottom of their division last year (and not off to a good start this year). Maybe both teams just had 1 year where all of the bounces, breaks and one-goal games went their way.

An item of concern, did anyone else hear Forslund on 99.9 Thursday talking about Lindholm? I can't remember the exact words but the gist was that he needed to give a more consistent effort throughout each game. Troubling to hear that about such a young player, on whom we used such a high draft pick. Forslund seemed to think Lindholm could be "coached out" of this issue. I sure hope so, and hope Lindy did not suffer any long-term injury tonight.

I'm in complete agreement about the talent. 

But from my couch, put me in the "mostly played hard" camp.  Couple of player exceptions, and every team will have a few down games, but even after we were way out of it last year I thought most of the team played hard.   I didn't see the team in general mailing it in.

I'm not in agreement about the talent. I'm still all-in with will.

That being said, I don't think mailing it in over a long period of games has been the issue, or what has frustrated many of us in recent years. It's mailing in one game, or maybe a couple, just when it seemed we were turning a corner. Few acknowledge or remember it, but there was a period during Muller's tenure where things were seriously looking up, and then *poof* - a couple games where it looked like guys weren't on the same rink, let alone the same page. Then better one. Then a shootout loss...

It's early, and I don't want to put too much emphasis on it (for fear of jinxing things, speaking of puck luck!), but winning this particular back-to-back - coming home after a long trip and wanting to establish that we're not going to roll over in our own barn - is the closest thing we've seen in quite some time to, uh, what's that called again? Hmmmm... THAT'S RIGHT, DETERMINATION (a.k.a., the will to win). And Peters doesn't strike me as a guy who's about to take his foot off the gas.

Edited by top-shelf-1