The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

luckskill.png

This is from a very long and occasionally interesting article about the role of luck vs Skill that maybe Lake and a very few others might like reading: http://www.wired.com/2012/11/luck-and-skill-untangled-qa-with-michael-mauboussin/

But it is pretty much the reference I was thinking of. This puts hockey as the most luck dependent of the major sports.

The funny thing this that the amount of individual skill required to excell in hockey is off the charts. But the team effect of who wins the game based on the relative skill of one team vs the other ends up including a lot of luck (relatively).

Edited by remkin

Here's one place where I think our D-tots are going to make a huge difference in this team going forward: moving the puck out of our D zone and into the O zone without just dumping it in.  Up till now the Cane d-man I trust being able to do that most consistently and effectively is Liles.  He skates well, has good puck handling skills, and I believe he's our best passing d-man when it comes to moving the puck (which is a major part of why I think I value him more than most here). 

Sekera was good at it when he was here. I always expected Murphy to be strong in skating the puck up, but it's only recently that he's shown flashes of doing it effectively imo. Faulk is an offensive dynamo, but I don't see him as exceptionally strong at moving the puck. Same with Hainsey (minus the offensive dynamo part, although we may have to change that assessment if he keeps it up :P ).  But I see both Pesce and Hanifin as being strong candidates to help us out on that front. And I think it will make a really big difference in the overall Canes game moving forward, even though it may be hard to pinpoint such like you can with scoring statistics. 

Good point Lake. Fleury will be that too I think. The forwards always have to back check and support the puck, but a strong puck moving defense, taking care of business and getting the puck up to the forwards is a luxury that we are going to have more and more over the next few years.

I stream all Canes games through my PS4 using Game-Center Live.

The last three games I've used my black controller instead of the gray one.

Of course the next time we lose it will be back to the gray one.

The volume number on my tv and stereo also seem to have an effect.

I've been trying to crack the code for the past few years, it's a work in progress...

It's left, left, triangle, square, right.

IDDQD

IDDQD

That would be cheating......

:D

Had to look that one up on the Internet, had no idea what IDDQD meant. The thought of Gerbe in "God mode" is pretty funny.

I remember when we used to play Thrashers at in atlanta and their seats would be empty and they were in last place almost every year.  I felt bad for them and was thankful it wasn't us.  Now its us, hopefully we can start winning and get the Raleigh buzz going again.  It is hard though when there are not many deals on Tix out there. Most people just wait to be offered free tix from a STH or Company STH or look for a deal on stub hub.   I hope this is not the beginning of the end of Hockey here. It's just not easy to go to a game anymore and the attendance is showing it.  I am confident the support will show back up if we can compete for a playoff spot.

Edited by danimal-ch1

A bit off topic:  I am going to Holden Beach the week of Thanksgiving.  Can I expect to catch a lot of fish surf fishing with squid and steel leaders or is this a bad time of the year to surf fish?

Edited by bluedevil58

A bit off topic:  I am going to Holden Beach the week of Thanksgiving.  Can I expect to catch a lot of fish surf fishing with squid and steel leaders or is this a bad time of the year to surf fish?

http://www.wral.com/net-effect-the-fight-over-flounder-/15019970/

WRAL just had an article about the effect that NCs lack of regulations on gill nets by the commercial fishing industry has had on sport fishing.  Sounds like there might not be a good time to surf fish in NC anymore.  Too bad coastal isn't around.  I'd bet he could give you a pretty accurate picture of what it's actually like out there. . .

Maybe partly due to the fact that HIlton Head is in SC, which has controls on gill netting? Pretty sure NC is one of the few states (only state?) that doesn't control gill nets  . . . Ask coastal after he gets back.  Pretty sure this is right in his wheel house.

I remember when we used to play Thrashers at in atlanta and their seats would be empty and they were in last place almost every year.  I felt bad for them and was thankful it wasn't us.  Now its us, hopefully we can start winning and get the Raleigh buzz going again.  It is hard though when there are not many deals on Tix out there. Most people just wait to be offered free tix from a STH or Company STH or look for a deal on stub hub.   I hope this is not the beginning of the end of Hockey here. It's just not easy to go to a game anymore and the attendance is showing it.  I am confident the support will show back up if we can compete for a playoff spot.

Came here to post much of the same. Even when the team was playing well, other than for a year or two around 2006, the Canes struggled to fill the place. Now we are last in attendance in the league, near 12,000 per game according to ESPN...and that seems generous, looks more like 8-10,000 from my seat. Doesn't look good for our future in NC unless these supposed fans get their rear ends in seats. It's a strain on my finances to buy my season tix every year, but I manage to support the team anyway because I want them here. There are many teams with losing records worse than ours that have good fan base support. If we lose this team there is no one to blame but the citizens of the Raleigh area that didn't give a ****.  PK did his best to give it a go here. Don't blame him at all if he decides to pull up stakes...SHAMEFUL fan base.

If we lose this team there is no one to blame but the citizens of the Raleigh area that didn't give a ****.  PK did his best to give it a go here. Don't blame him at all if he decides to pull up stakes...SHAMEFUL fan base.

I can not disagree more.  It's like blaming the victim for "asking for it".

I can not disagree more. It's like blaming the victim for "asking for it".

Lower the ticket prices, parking, and concessions. They raised them with the expectation of putting a quality product on the Ice and that has yet to happen. This area is accustomed to winning and competing at a very high level. So fans expect nothing less.

The way they raised prices all around by 25% was insulting. I am not spending a cent on this team until they win. No more from me and my 12 years or however long of owning season tickets.

Edited by bluedevil58

Lower the ticket prices, parking, and concessions. They raised them with the expectation of putting a quality product on the Ice and that has yet to happen. This area is accustomed to winning and competing at a very high level. So fans expect nothing less.

The way they raised prices all around by 25% was insulting. I am not spending a cent on this team until they win. No more from me and my 12 years or however long of owning season tickets.

There are plenty of teams with a bad record that maintain a decent fan base. A team can't always win/compete at a high level. This team has done relatively well in the last ten years compared to many NHL teams. Fans need to support it through the lean years too, or they can not call themselves fans, just bandwagoners.

Hahahahahaa ok. You go ahead and raise prices by 25% all across the board and continue to lose in a non traditional market and see what happens. Let me guess, you're using e

EDMONTON as an example. Hmm mm I wonder why they do so well with attendance. Better yet, you're probably referring to Calgary. Geeeeee... I wonder why they do so well in attendance? I guess I'm a band wagon fan.

Hahahahahaa ok. You go ahead and raise prices by 25% all across the board and continue to lose in a non traditional market and see what happens. Let me guess, you're using e

EDMONTON as an example. Hmm mm I wonder why they do so well with attendance. Better yet, you're probably referring to Calgary. Geeeeee... I wonder why they do so well in attendance? I guess I'm a band wagon fan.

I'm not using any specific team, just sayin it's hurtful and embarrassing to sit, game after game, with a few thousand other people and contemplate the loss of my team bcuz so few people care that they are here. I have a feeling they won't be for long and I will be heartbroken.

No playoffs for a long time, plus long rebuild, plus no superstar for fans to come and watch, is a formula for low attendence. I certainly wouldn't pay more to go to a restaurant that had bad food, so why would anyone pay more to see a bad hockey team. The Canes are fortunate to be in a market with so many fans from other teams, or attendence would be even lower.

Well.. at least the Panthers are dominating.  If you told me that they would be 7-0 in November during the pre-season I would have laughed at you.  Imagine what this team will be like when Benjamin is healthy....

marketing team needs to put together some "desperation" specials.  Friday night game, $10 tix, $1 hot dogs every now and than or something.  Get people back(band wagoners) to remind them of how exciting and awesome hockey is.  Of course the Canes would have to score some goals and win some for this to be successful.  I don't know man, just seems like its STH's and people who scored free tix. attending right now.  Not good, they have to do something.  Nobody will ever want to come play here.  Of course the number one thing that could solve all this is to be an above .500 team with playoff hopes.  Games always get packed when the Canes are on big winning streaks or leading the division.  The thing that always makes me decide not to go  at the last minute is the $15 parking.  I know that's what all arenas charge but it just kills me to pay that to park.  I'll do it now and than but not too often.