The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

From Thursday Practice

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes 1h1 hour ago

All accounted for at #Canes practice. Nordstrom continues to skate with the team. He's missed 9 games with a lower-body injury

#Canes forward lines: E. Staal-J. Staal-Lindholm Gerbe-Rask-Versteeg Skinner-Nash-Terry Nestrasil-McClement-McGinn

#Canes defensive pairs: Hainsey-Faulk Liles-Pesce Hanifin-Murphy

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 46m46 minutes ago

Canes with PP work. One unit has EStaal, Versteeg, Rask, Faulk, Murphy. Second unit: JStaal, Skinner, Lindy, Nash, Liles.

more from practice

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 1h1 hour ago

Peters says no decision yet on starting goalie for Stars game. Says line combos today still may change. PP units will be same.

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes 52m52 minutes ago

Not so fast on those line combinations, #Canes HC Bill Peters said. Tried some different things out today. Will probably again tomorrow.

Nordstrom is heading to Charlotte...for now

RALEIGH, NC Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has assigned forward Joakim Nordstrom to the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL) for a conditioning stint.

Full Release

Wow, Xer, thanks for all the news.

I'm surprised Lindy's been moved off the Skins/Nash line. Have to think he'll be returned, that line looked great Friday.

And with that, I'm off. Must hide from Kyrule :)

If they keep the Staals together, I'd like Terry to get a shot on the wing. He's stealthy - and brings that sandpaper.

(Just making sure I got Ky's attention.)  :lol:

Sounds like it's related to DoD recruiting (US Air Force in the Canes case), which is a different ballgame than anything "honoring the troops" imo.

It's reported that the Canes got $75k over 3 fiscal years (Bruins $280k over 2yrs, Wild $570k over 3 yrs).

Here's what the DoD supposedly paid for:

Carolina Hurricanes

• One 18 person suite for influencers and prospective applicants (FY2012, FY2013, FY2014)

• Pregame access to one conference room to give a one-hour presentation for center of influence opportunities (FY2012, FY 2013, FY2014)

• One Hurricanes autographed team stick (FY2012, FY2013, FY2014)

And here's what the Canes had to say about it:

"The items listed in that report, including a suite and the use of a conference room, were simply added value items for an advertising agreement with the Air Force. The key components that the $75,000 actually paid for were commercial spots, game-night sponsorships and in-arena signage," Carolina Hurricanes vice president of communications Mike Sundheim said in an email. "Our in-game recognition of military members, Military Appreciation Night and other programs designed to honor and support the large military population in North Carolina are sponsored by the team, its players and non-governmental corporate sponsors. This year, three of our players – Justin Faulk, James Wisniewski and John-Michael Liles – spent more than $60,000 to create a program that provides game-night experiences for military personnel and their families throughout the year. North Carolina is home to major bases for the Army, Marine Corps and the Air Force, all within driving distance of Raleigh. The tickets and things we do during games to showcase the military are reflections of our organization’s pride in the men and women who live in our home state and devote their lives to defending our country."

Meh, it's still trying to influence impressionable minds to sign up by taking them to a game. 

I honor and respect our troops. Our government - not so much. But before this veers into politics...

How 'bout that McDavid injury!?

How 'bout that McDavid injury!?

I guess they will have to console themselves for a while by just playing their other three first overall picks this decade.

Wow, Xer, thanks for all the news.

I'm surprised Lindy's been moved off the Skins/Nash line. Have to think he'll be returned, that line looked great Friday.

And with that, I'm off. Must hide from Kyrule :)

If they keep the Staals together, I'd like Terry to get a shot on the wing. He's stealthy - and brings that sandpaper.

(Just making sure I got Ky's attention.)  :lol:

:D

You got my attention.

Honestly though, I don't even care anymore. Nothing seems to create scoring and there is no consistent chemistry.

I'm up for anything at this point.

I don't like all the line juggling, but when nothing works then what? I give up and I'm just taking a wait and see approach, hopefully something positive starts happening.

I am disappointed that Lindholm was taken off the first PP unit almost from the start of the season. I remember last year John and Tripp talking about assistant coaches from other teams saying that they felt Lindholm was the most dangerous forward on the PP.

Then again, maybe his play this year hasn't warranted 1st unit PP time. I think he works hard along the boards and is playing well defensively, but the offense just isn't coming. I think he needs something positive to happen in a big way, on the other hand I would like to see him assert himself more to make something happen.

I'm still a believer in Lindholm, but he needs to find another gear, be more consistent with his effort, be more physical/engaged, and he needs to convert/have others convert scoring opportunities.

Like I said, I'll wait and see with fingers crossed, but my pessimistic nature says that offensively we are in for another woeful season.

:D

You got my attention.

Honestly though, I don't even care anymore. Nothing seems to create scoring and there is no consistent chemistry.

I'm up for anything at this point.

I don't like all the line juggling, but when nothing works then what? I give up and I'm just taking a wait and see approach, hopefully something positive starts happening.

I am disappointed that Lindholm was taken off the first PP unit almost from the start of the season. I remember last year John and Tripp talking about assistant coaches from other teams saying that they felt Lindholm was the most dangerous forward on the PP.

Then again, maybe his play this year hasn't warranted 1st unit PP time. I think he works hard along the boards and is playing well defensively, but the offense just isn't coming. I think he needs something positive to happen in a big way, on the other hand I would like to see him assert himself more to make something happen.

I'm still a believer in Lindholm, but he needs to find another gear, be more consistent with his effort, be more physical/engaged, and he needs to convert/have others convert scoring opportunities.

Like I said, I'll wait and see with fingers crossed, but my pessimistic nature says that offensively we are in for another woeful season.

Well the best thing about hockey is how quickly things can change, and if any team is due for some of that, it's this one.

I think Lindy will ultimately be fine, and that he's probably struggling to become more defensively responsible. It's clear BP didn't put a lot of emphasis on that with the forward corps last year b/c he wanted to see what they would bring unprompted. Now he knows and he's probably giving very detailed and rigorous assignments.

My hope (like yours) is that we're in for a lightbulb moment where the team finally "gets" that the key to offense is transitioning out of the D zone thru center ice in a way that allows us to gain the Ozone with possession, so guys can get to the doorstep ahead of the puck. We've seen flashes of it, and if it becomes the norm instead of the exception, a lot more pucks should start going in. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

I'm late to the discussion of attendance woes, but just read Rem's post about opening night being a sellout and thus an indication of fan interest. For anyone who did not know, every season ticket holder of every plan (full,22 game, 11 game) was REQUIRED to buy tickets to the opener. That's why as an 11 game ticket holder with pretty decent priority, the tickets available to me when I selected were pretty much in the top 4 or 5 rows. My ticket rep relocated me to better seats, but that "sellout" was engineered by forcing every STH to buy tickets.

With 12 tix in my plan and 2 vouchers, my average price for an "Upper Corner" seat last year was about $24. This year, my average price for my 11 game plan in "Terrace Value" (same section) - all bronze games - is $39. I did not average in the value of the single voucher the Canes threw in kicking and screaming after tickets went on sale.

Coming off such a poor year, the result of a price increase of that magnitude was predictable. Did Compuware ever raise its prices on a floundering product by 40% to see if that would save the product? And it's not just the wins and losses. Of the 14 or 15 games I attended last year, most of the time the Canes scored 0 - 2 goals. They often fell behind early.

I can see that RF and BP have a plan to rebuild this team through the draft - it is already noticeable that the number of good young D-men in the system is something we maybe never have had since the Canes moved here. But we look to be a ways away from icing a potent offense, though I have faith it will happen. Like others on the board, I hope the team is in Raleigh when it all comes together.

Just to add to your point BD, it was also a STH appreciation game, with deeply discounted extra tickets available. The last few years the Canes have offered this on about 6 games/year. I can't recall it being done on opening night before.

So, yes, it was an engineered sellout, but at least there are enough people around, even with the horrid recent product on the ice, that will at least fill the arena on one night.

But clearly to get to the place of sold out weekend and high traffic visitor's games, and mostly full other games, this team needs to win, and frankly see some playoffs a couple of years in a row.

In my less cynical moods, the fact that Francis and PK are willing to sacrifice the short run to attempt to build a year in year out contender does seem to suggest the team staying. My more cynical side says their trying to strip down the big, underproducing, NTC-type contracts to be able to offer a team w/ a low payroll and young talent for sale. 

I choose to go with the less cynical view. PK has realized that recent years in fear that this market will not support a loser ("we really need to make the playoffs this (insert year) year"), has created a win now team that doesn't win. So, with the ouster of JR, the path was changed and now the plan is to build an organization and compile draft picks and do nothing now to hurt the future.

I have to admit, if I were the owner, even if I were getting a bit long in the tooth, I'd favor that plan. If this team becomes a yearly contender, this building will fill. Even if we have to wait 2-3 years for it all to come together, when it does? 8-10 years of consistent winning and this will be the hottest ticket in town. (OK it will never beat Duke-Carolina Basketball matchups, but you know what I mean).

Edited by remkin

In my less cynical moods, the fact that Francis and PK are willing to sacrifice the short run to attempt to build a year in year out contender does seem to suggest the team staying. My more cynical side says their trying to strip down the big, underproducing, NTC-type contracts to be able to offer a team w/ a low payroll and young talent for sale. 

I choose to go with the less cynical view. PK has realized that recent years in fear that this market will not support a loser ("we really need to make the playoffs this (insert year) year"), has created a win now team that doesn't win. So, with the ouster of JR, the path was changed and now the plan is to build an organization and compile draft picks and do nothing now to hurt the future.

It's obvious that JR's nibbling around the edges and quick fixes set this franchise back.  RF is on the right track.  He may not have made the splashy trade that gets the fans excited, but he has not made a bad move yet. 

This is a league that half the teams make the playoffs.  That means to be a successful franchise, you need to be making the playoffs about half the time.  Deep pocket teams can have a higher standard, but for this franchise to be sustainable, it needs to be batting about .500 on playoff appearances.

It's obvious that JR's nibbling around the edges and quick fixes set this franchise back.  RF is on the right track.  He may not have made the splashy trade that gets the fans excited, but he has not made a bad move yet. 

Funny I was just posting a version of this on the GM page, but I'll go here. I agree.

I look at Francis' moves to date and can't really argue with any of them.

All the staff hirings: our numbers guy, Vellucci, more scouting, etc.

HIring Bill Peters. Still think he's the man.

First rounder and McKeown for Sekera at deadline. Not keeping Sekera was unfortunate, but he clearly ended up with big salary and my guess is he didn't really want to stay. That extra first rounder could still loom very large, and McKeown has upside.

Wiz: while our defense of the future is already shining through, this year really could have used this vet. This pick up will remain hidden.

Versteeg: Already our top point getter, and got him for basically nothing, (sorry anonymous 10th string dmen that went the other way), oh and got Nordstrom thrown in for free.

Lack: rough start, but this guy has the size and tools to be our best back up or even a #1, and cost us next to nothing to get.

These were small, patient, table-setting moves, and moves of necessity (Sekera).

As you mention, he has not made the big splash move. But that is the last thing to do. I don't mean not to do it, but to do it last. Once you have drafted more forwards (hopefully at least one elite guy), and settled down what to do w/ Eric Staal, and you have a really nice framework, the best teams add 1-2 big time UFA's. It might be hard, but not impossible w/ the combination of a team everyone can see is going to be good, and a bit of an overpay for that one guy.

I think of Chicago adding Hossa, and similar moves. But the frame of the team is built through drafts and trades.

Anyway, what I am seeing now is a GM who has pushed all of the apparent right buttons to date. But the biggest button is the one sitting on top of Eric Staal, and the next biggest one sits on Cam Ward. Francis can recover from blowing those, because he's made all good moves to date, and he's still early  but if he gets them right, it will set the plan forward or back more than any other move to date save maybe the coach hire.

I guess we see how the next 10 games go, and then the talks might start. We shall see.

Me too, and what keeps bringing me back to that view is PK's unflagging determination to build a Detroit-style org. While Hartford fans were unhappy with the team's move, there is no question that it had to happen from a purely fan-base POV; there were too many teams in that region, and much of the northeastern industrial base had moved here anyway. As the owner of a tech company and seeing what was happening with the tech explosion here, the move was the smart one at the time and despite the on-ice struggles of the past 10 years, the tech explosion continues.

Someone made the point about the fans of opposing teams who attend, and it's a good one - but as successful years have shown, they are an absolute drop in the bucket compared to Canes fans who will come out when the team is doing well. This region attracts companies and individuals due largely to the lower cost of living than that of traditional hockey markets. Should we really be surprised that those same people are less likely to spend $400 on a night out when the odds of attending a "downer" are better than 50/50?

I don't think so, and I think PK realizes that too. I think JR sold him on the possibility of icing a winning team through off-season moves, and I think, after it happened to work out, in two close-together runs to the finals, it became tough for PK to question JR's moves. Until, that is, the statistical reality - that building winners through moves doesn't work long-term - imposed itself. And I think that's why PK is supporting and will continue to support a team that is slowly but clearly progressing toward greatness, and has abandoned the idea of catching lightning in a bottle. 

I think one of the problems for JR is that he did catch lightning in a bottle one time. While there was luck involved, JR did manage to find enough parts to add to a pretty small drafted core, to ice a legitimate cup contender that put that lightning right in that bottle. Brindy, Williams, Stillman, Whitney, Recci, Wesley, Cullen, T. Kaberle, Hedican, A Ward, K Adams, Doug Weight, M Gerber, all either UFA's or results of trades.

Drafted core: E Staal, C. Ward, E. Cole, A. Ladd, C. LaRose*, J Vasicek, N Wallin.

But Ladd was a pup and not the Ladd he would become. Vasicek was not a major piece, nor was 4th line LaRose.

*LaRose not technically drafted, but signed directly from our developement system, so same thing.

Adding Whitney, Stillman, Recci, and Weight all as UFA's in 2005? All huge pieces. BUT people also forget the addition of Martin Gerber, who while he struggled in the playoffs, played us into the home ice advantage during the year. A trade, but still an aquisition.

Interesting fact: Gerber is still playing hockey in the Swiss league.

Anyways, that was a very trade and UFA heavy core collection and it all worked that year. But the Recci/Weight thing was a rental, Stillman's best days were behind him, J Willy started getting hurt, eventually Roddy just hit the age wall, Ward struggled early to find his form, Cullen priced out, Wesley retired, etc, etc, etc.  Then JR traded Ladd for Ruutu. Not a terrible move at the time, but over time clearly a bad idea. The core of drafted players got even slimmer.

But JR kept at it, trying to piece together one more run. But a patch of weak drafting (Boychuk anyone?) and at least one massive Russian mistake laster, and the final curtain came down on JR's leadership. 

The point is though that JR did get it to all come together that one glorious year. By finding a few really good misfits and a couple of rentals to add to a nice core of traded-for guys and two huge drafted guys he really did catch lightning in a bottle. We've benefited from that, but it also has sort of cursed us as JR kept trying to catch it again and again the same way at the expense of the long term future.

It might have worked, but doing it that way it all has to come together. Obviously it never really did again, though in fairness that 2009 run was pretty nice. Still, this new direction is clearly long term oriented, and that is good.

Unfortunately, the short term we need to work through is added onto a recent past of futility, so it could be painful.

Still, a nice run right now and it could be better than we think. Let's go with that.

Edited by remkin

What the *edit* has happened to Elias Lindholm?

Seriouslly, 1 goal, 0 assists through 13 games.

Very troubling to me to see this.  Last night he was just invisible.

Edited by coastal_caniac

What the *edit* has happened to Elias Lindholm?

Seriouslly, 1 goal, 0 assists through 13 games.

Very troubling to me to see this.  Last night he was just invisible.

Has he caught Skinneritis?

Well what I just watched was inpressive. It's hard to put a finger on this team. IMO we are one top 6 foeward acquisition away from being a very dangerous team....

Edited by bluedevil58

Well what I just watched was inpressive. It's hard to put a finger on this team. IMO we are one top 6 foeward acquisition away from being a very dangerous team....

I agree BD. This team is close when they play the way they did tonight.

I am hoping this will get Skinner going. The emotion he showed tonight scoring that GTG with 3 seconds left was like a huge relief.

Don't look now but J. Staal has scored a goal in the last 3 games.

What a momentum swing! 3 seconds from 5-9, we tie then win in overtime. Best thing about the 2 last goals is that they have the potential to awaken 2 sleeping Giants on our offense. Skinner's goal was clutch, and just the type you hope for in last minute 6 on 5 scrambles. Better yet, Jordan's goal was a beauty, ripped in the narrow space between Hammond and the right post. Haven't seen many of those pinpoint goals from Jordan since he got here. Now let's go to New York and score 2 or 3 goals in the first period.

It is early.  But how about this 3 on 3?   Let's see how this plays out, but I think the coaching staff has done a great job preparing for this.

No matter what, I think the NHL has a winner on their hands.  This is insanity, yet it is still hockey, with real hockey plays.

BD: I do not disagree. One slick, fast top 6 winger to replace, say Chris Terry? Definitely.

wxray: Yes, we would probably have 3 less points if those games went to shootout. I love 3 on 3.

That game could be the switch. Or it could be flash in the pan.

Flash in the Pan argument: the last 3 years.

Switch to good argument: offense from both Staals, Skinner and Lindy find their offense. Next time we put up 40 shots we get 5 goals. If those guys produce like they are capable it changes everything.

Edited by remkin