The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

It is early.  But how about this 3 on 3?   Let's see how this plays out, but I think the coaching staff has done a great job preparing for this.

No matter what, I think the NHL has a winner on their hands.  This is insanity, yet it is still hockey, with real hockey plays.

There have been less Shoot-outs, so games are ending in regulation. The tie-breaker that involves SOW is now less an impact if the majority of the games end in regulation. Plus it puts a lot of excitement in the games.

It is early.  But how about this 3 on 3?   Let's see how this plays out, but I think the coaching staff has done a great job preparing for this.

No matter what, I think the NHL has a winner on their hands.  This is insanity, yet it is still hockey, with real hockey plays.

No matter what, our opinions can't be trusted.

Since the shootout inception, we were 30th out of 30 in the league.

Being we are 3-0 in 3 on 3 play, we are at worst tied for 1st historically for 3 on 3 play.

Yeah, we like it.

All of this is tongue in cheek though.  It truly is a winner for excitement and hockey play over skills competition.  I advocated for it 2 years into the shootout, although my idea was 4 on 4 for 5 minutes then 3 on 3 for 5 minutes  and I still think it should be the way to go.

Well what I just watched was inpressive. It's hard to put a finger on this team. IMO we are one top 6 foeward acquisition away from being a very dangerous team....

Some of us were advocating for that before the season even started. ;)

My theory is that the reason we didn't land another veteran forward is tied more to a PK decision than a GMRF one.  Two years ago PK spent close to the cap limit and we still didn't make the playoffs.  I suspect that JR went to PK and said something along the lines of "the fans need a playoff appearance and we're this close. Give me the $$ and I'll get us there.  PK did, JR didn't, and I wonder if that might have effected PKs spending decisions going forward. Which would be a shame because, given the resources, I'm thinking GMRF and HCBP could actually deliver where JR and Mueller didn't.

Again, pure speculation on my part.

Edited by LakeLivin

Some of us were advocating for that before the season even started. ;)

My theory is that the reason we didn't land another veteran forward is tied more to a PK decision than a GMRF one.  Two years ago PK spent close to the cap limit and we still didn't make the playoffs.  I suspect that JR went to PK and said something along the lines of "the fans need a playoff appearance and we're this close. Give me the $$ and I'll get us there.  PK did, JR didn't, and I wonder if that might have effected PKs spending decisions going forward. Which would be a shame because, given the resources, I'm thinking GMRF and HCBP could actually deliver where JR and Mueller didn't.

Again, pure speculation on my part.

Speculation true, but given what we know about PK and his fiscal approach, probably pretty close.

If that's how it went down, implicit in the decision had to be a sense on PK's part that with or without playoffs, the payroll situation improves vastly after this year. So (in PK's mind?), (1) let's see what this group can do without another top six (I honestly think that in BP's mind Versteeg is one, and I don't disagree, I seldom buy the old "he does the little things" but I think in this case it applies) and (2) if we're in the mix at Thanksgiving, maybe we bring in a little more help.

Plus, we've actually "lost" a top-six forward, so far anyway, if you take Lindy's performance into account. I still think he finds his game, but have to wonder if he's playing hurt, from that incident a few games back. If so, he needs to sit down and get healthy, because he's taking ice time that a Malone could fill just as effectively and maybe more so in the meantime.

Speculation true, but given what we know about PK and his fiscal approach, probably pretty close.

If that's how it went down, implicit in the decision had to be a sense on PK's part that with or without playoffs, the payroll situation improves vastly after this year. So (in PK's mind?), (1) let's see what this group can do without another top six (I honestly think that in BP's mind Versteeg is one, and I don't disagree, I seldom buy the old "he does the little things" but I think in this case it applies) and (2) if we're in the mix at Thanksgiving, maybe we bring in a little more help.

Plus, we've actually "lost" a top-six forward, so far anyway, if you take Lindy's performance into account. I still think he finds his game, but have to wonder if he's playing hurt, from that incident a few games back. If so, he needs to sit down and get healthy, because he's taking ice time that a Malone could fill just as effectively and maybe more so in the meantime.

I think with Lindholm, we actually maybe just seeing the sophomore slump, only its happening in his 3rd season. He's a young player and the pressure of producing is weighing on him.

A thought on Versteeg:

What's the opposite of a canary in a coal mine?  Maybe a dove sent out from the Ark?  Whatever it is, there's a good chance that's what Versteeg could be for us Canes fans if we end up signing him as UFA next season. 

First off, this is a guy that's tasted playing on an elite team and he's likely to be in some demand. For him to sign with the Canes he'd have to have a pretty positive feeling about the team's prospects going forward.  Coming from an "insider", that would be a pretty powerful indicator about our direction.

Secondly, he's unlikely to be a "bargain" signing; I'm guessing we'd have to pay fair market value for him. Since we seem to be heavily into "value mode" recently, that would seem to indicate a different level of commitment from PK (GMRF) than we've seen the past 2 years.

To be honest, I'd be surprised to see Versteeg in a Canes uniform next year, but if we do, I'd take it as a very positive sign.

A thought on Versteeg:

What's the opposite of a canary in a coal mine?  Maybe a dove sent out from the Ark?  Whatever it is, there's a good chance that's what Versteeg could be for us Canes fans if we end up signing him as UFA next season. 

First off, this is a guy that's tasted playing on an elite team and he's likely to be in some demand. For him to sign with the Canes he'd have to have a pretty positive feeling about the team's prospects going forward.  Coming from an "insider", that would be a pretty powerful indicator about our direction.

Secondly, he's unlikely to be a "bargain" signing; I'm guessing we'd have to pay fair market value for him. Since we seem to be heavily into "value mode" recently, that would seem to indicate a different level of commitment from PK (GMRF) than we've seen the past 2 years.

To be honest, I'd be surprised to see Versteeg in a Canes uniform next year, but if we do, I'd take it as a very positive sign.

Great points Lake, and exactly why I was so excited when he signed here. He's not only been on an elite team but played a key role in taking a team in the dregs forward (FL).

Given his age, his value in the room, and the strong probability that we'll have more budget to work with, I guess maybe I'll be a little less surprised than you if he's back. But there's a whole lot of hockey to be played between now and the TD, when we'll have to make a decision about him. 

I think with Lindholm, we actually maybe just seeing the sophomore slump, only its happening in his 3rd season. He's a young player and the pressure of producing is weighing on him.

I hope you're right and that's the extent of it.

BD: I do not disagree. One slick, fast top 6 winger to replace, say Chris Terry? Definitely.

wxray: Yes, we would probably have 3 less points if those games went to shootout. I love 3 on 3.

That game could be the switch. Or it could be flash in the pan.

Flash in the Pan argument: the last 3 years.

Switch to good argument: offense from both Staals, Skinner and Lindy find their offense. Next time we put up 40 shots we get 5 goals. If those guys produce like they are capable it changes everything.

I was happy with the outcome but do not think we played that well. Way too many defensive breakdowns. Liles was lucky his  giveaway didn't result in another Colorado goal. Cmon this was the Avalanche who had a slightly worse record than us. We had a lot of shots but most were clearly seen by their goalie without any traffic in front.  Amazing how we score when we have a front net presence. When do we learn that we need to do this on a continual basis? I will say that E Staal has been around the net more than he has been in the past few years.

Great points Lake, and exactly why I was so excited when he signed here. He's not only been on an elite team but played a key role in taking a team in the dregs forward (FL).

Given his age, his value in the room, and the strong probability that we'll have more budget to work with, I guess maybe I'll be a little less surprised than you if he's back. But there's a whole lot of hockey to be played between now and the TD, when we'll have to make a decision about him. 

If Versteeg had signed with us I'd be much more optimistic about retaining him but he didn't have any choice. Chicago basically had to dump salary and we ended up the beneficiary.

"Versteeg, a two-time Stanley Cup winner with the Blackhawks, was traded to the Carolina Hurricanes with forward Joakim Nordstrom and a third-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft for defenseman prospect Dennis Robertson, the rights to unsigned defenseman Jake Massie [our 6th round pick this year], and a fifth-round pick in 2017." Hours after trading Versteeg the Hawks reached an agreement with RFA Marcus Kruger.

A steal on the part of GMRF imo. :applaud:

Edited by LakeLivin

If Versteeg had signed with us I'd be much more optimistic about retaining him but he didn't have any choice. Chicago basically had to dump salary and we ended up the beneficiary.

"Versteeg, a two-time Stanley Cup winner with the Blackhawks, was traded to the Carolina Hurricanes with forward Joakim Nordstrom and a third-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft for defenseman prospect Dennis Robertson, the rights to unsigned defenseman Jake Massie [our 6th round pick this year], and a fifth-round pick in 2017." Hours after trading Versteeg the Hawks reached an agreement with RFA Marcus Kruger.

A steal on the part of GMRF imo. :applaud:

Point taken re the trade (versus signing). Nonetheless, he was enthusiastic from the first comments he made, and his play has proved that he wasn't just trying to say the right things. He seems a guy who is squarely in the camp that, at this level, it comes down to will - and whose play, here and elsewhere, has proved it.

Plus, due to injury, we still don't know what Nordstrom might bring to the mix. Absolutely a steal, from an org whose model BP and RF are committed to copying. I'm with you and everyone else who has lauded RF's moves to date.

I have to think that we're in for a top-two-lines redux in the near future, where our top six are all on the those lines: The Staals, Versteeg, Lindy, Skinner and Rask. It feels like pretty much any combo of those six getting the most ice time is where we need to go, and with an "undercard" of Nasher and McClement centering guys like Gerbs, Nesty, McGinn, Nordstrom, Malone, etc. - well, "depth" might still be too strong a word, but for the first time in years it feels like we can actually roll four strong lines, and have a guy or two in reserve who is able to step in if others must move up.

These next two weeks are going to tell us a whole lot about this team's future, and I like your dove/ark analogy.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Put me down too as liking your analogy, Lake. In my heart of hearts, tho, I don't see him resigning here, and unlike some, don't take much comfort in the patronizing words he used when coming aboard. Skeptically, they resonate in an all too familiar statement which, it seems to me, many players issue when they are traded. How often have we on this board been enraged when "one of our own" gets traded away, and gives a similar speech to his new team? Almost as if this is Hockey 101 taught to all players when they enter the NHL?

As to the hopeful interjection "we're only 1 top 6 player from being a dangerous team", sorry, but I'm not on board with that either. Until I start seeing "streaks" of greater than 3 wins in a row, I'll continue to celebrate the wins, gnash my teeth at the losses, but hold out very little hope for post season games here for the 15-16 season.

Funny to see me be so negative!! Must be the loss(nee THRASHING) my LSU team suffered at the hands of ALABAMA, and the hated Nick Saban, GRRRRRRRR!!

Given that Versteeg was unexpectedly traded from the defending Stanley Cup Championship Hawks to the cellar dwelling Canes just before the season started, I'd bet he was expressing the sports cliches we want to hear rather than his honest feelings. Which really doesn't matter imo.  The important thing is that he's playing like the games count and he wants to be here . You can argue whether he'd be a top 6 forward on an elite team, but I can't imagine this Canes team being nearly as competitive without him.  And when we talk about the need for one more top 6 forward, I think "another Versteeg" (can we clone him?) would make a world of difference.

Edited by LakeLivin

Tweets from Monday practice

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes 1h1 hour ago

All present at #Canes practice, including Joakim Nordstrom recalled yesterday. Peters in Toronto for HHOF, so assistants running things.

forward lines: E. Staal-Rask-Lindholm Gerbe-J. Staal-Terry Skinner-Nash-Versteeg McGinn-McClement-Nordstrom

defensive pairs: Liles-Faulk Hainsey-Pesce Jordan-Murphy

Those can, of course, change between now and tomorrow. Right now looks like Nestrasil, Malone and Hanifin the extras.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 1h1 hour ago

Peters in Toronto today for Karmanos induction. Smith, Brind'Amour handling practice.

Versteeg. The only way I see him re-signing here, is if E stays and the team does better than expected and makes the playoffs. At his point in his career, I doubt he wants to languish in a long rebuild in a minor market playing in front of empty seats.

If we could convince him though, I would love to have him stay. He fills a need: the 50 point, high skills, nifty play-maker. Even if we somehow find a elite, ppg winger, we still need that role filled. Plus he is a vet, with championship experience, and of the age we need a few more of to round out the locker room.

If E/Rask/Linholm could really start producing, that Skinner/Nash/Versteeg line could put up some points.

I love how J is playing and man did Gerbe bring the full effort last game. HOWEVER, isn't it time to ask why Chris Terry is in our top 9? 2 points in 12 games and he is slow and small.

As you all know I'm a Brock McGinn fan. I do note that he is quickly a -10. Since he is described as a two way player, I'm assuming this has been some bad luck?

Honestly, I think the fourth line has digressed somewhat since McGinn has been slotted there, recognizing it's only been two games.  Also recognizing it may be no fault of McGinn, but maybe just a bad fit.

Coastal, I'm heading to topsail for thanksgiving week and.plan to surf fish and deep sea fish. I was thinking squid and steel leaders for surf fishing. Any recommendations? I hear fishing is awesome around thanksgiving?

Offshore tuna, dolphin, marlin.

In the surf, and at that time of the year, I'd target speckled trout with your rig.

The one you described ain't it.

Trout bite shiny things, go to the local shop and get yourself a spoon already rigged.  When you hook up you will know it.

Of course, I'm not a "bait" fisherman.  Using squid is like showing up to bream fish on a bed with a can of worms and a Zebco 33 instead of a fly rod with a popping bug. 

PM if you want to catch A fish. :)

Edited by coastal_caniac

Cool! Thanks coastal. I take it that bringing in trout will be more of a casting kind of deal and not to much a cast and let it sit on bottom and wait as I do with squid? I plan on utilizing 3 Rigs. We have a nice private beach so I am super excited!

Mainly your missing it's not summertime and fish migrate. :rolleyes:

On trout yes, bump the bottom along eddies in the surf, keep the spoon out of the bottom as much as possible.  Steady retrieves, no slack in the line, especially in crashing surf.

Use artificial and you will mess up and catch something.  How much clearer on a rig could I have been above?  If you can tie a knot that holds well, go for it. 

The locals will laugh at you when you buy squid at the bait shop.  I would too.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Anybody know whats up with the Hannifin scratch the other night and the possibility of it again tonight?  Minor injury? giving the young guy a break?  Coaching not loving his play lately?  I just haven't heard anything about it, maybe I missed the post or something.

Thanks Coastal!  Truth be told, I always laughed at people when I saw them casting and reeling back in continuously during the summer.  I had no idea artificial is the way to go this year so thanks for all the tips.  Back to hockey talk!