The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

Anybody know whats up with the Hannifin scratch the other night and the possibility of it again tonight?  Minor injury? giving the young guy a break?  Coaching not loving his play lately?  I just haven't heard anything about it, maybe I missed the post or something.

I don't know danimal, but I noticed it too. I mostly listen to games and there seemed to be one particularly bad giveaway versus Dallas, but if that were the metric, Liles would be sitting too. 

I can only guess, but given BP's commitment to go with the same lineup after a win, the solidity of Pesce, and the fact that Noah has a whole bunch of NHL hockey in his future, I'd think they're just content not to push him too hard and see value in letting him watch from the press box now and then. He strung together several solid games after his first break up there.

Don't know of any injury concerns with Hanifin, but I'm fine with pulling him back a tad bit.  It's a long season and a big adjustment for an 18 year old.  If we have suitable players available, I have no problems with resting anybody not named Faulk.

I seem to remember Forslund saying something about a 'nagging lower body concern' or something.  Maybe, maybe not, but could have a role in it.

Hmmm, my recollection was this was said about Lindy, b/c he left a game a week/10 days ago and tried to come back that night but couldn't.

Hmmm, my recollection was this was said about Lindy, b/c he left a game a week/10 days ago and tried to come back that night but couldn't.

Fair enough, i can't remember for sure so i'll yield on that one.  That said, while it's far from a 10-day break, he still hasn't played since the 6th.  That's a pretty decent rest already, if there are truly no injury concerns.

Fair enough, i can't remember for sure so i'll yield on that one.  That said, while it's far from a 10-day break, he still hasn't played since the 6th.  That's a pretty decent rest already, if there are truly no injury concerns.

Oh snap.  Forgot he played Friday vs. the Stars.  Thought it had been since before the break last week.

Forslund did say something about a "lower body concern" for Hanifin when he was scratched. Your ears weren't deceiving you. I think he's fine and it's purely the coach's decision.

Peters' comments pre-game (see OBXer's post in tonights GDT for audio) seemed to suggest it was more about taking it slow on Hanifin with him being so young, combined with liking the line-up that won the last game. If there's an injury, he didn't mention it.

To me, the NHL season, especially if there's playoffs, is soooooo much longer than College, and it's such a faster, harder game, that holding Hanifin out regularly makes sense, especially early in the year.

Edited by remkin

No matter the line up tonight, the Rangers dont give up a lot a goals....Hoping tonight is a major offensive break out ...

Not so much.

Our boys celebrated a few iron hits.  That's worth something, no?

Edited by wxray1

Since we've been discussing giveaways, here are some actual stats (not counting tonights game). 

Player                     Games Give Aways GvA/ game GvA/60min

John-Michael Liles     14             6              0.43            1.25

Ron Hainsey              14             7              0.5              1.38

Michal Jordan              8             3              0.38             1.38

Ryan Murphy             14             6              0.43             1.41

Brett Pesce                  7             4              0.57             1.86

Justin Faulk                14           11              0.79             1.89

Noah Hanifin               12           10              0.83             3.03

Edited by LakeLivin

Lake, thanks for quantifying our ineptness, but sure would have thought Murphy was at the head of the class there. Would be interesting to compare the overall team stat with other teams to really solidify our inability to comparatively control the puck. Last night seemed particularly brutal?

Wow, McGinn back to Charlotte.  Not a bad move, though.  Great first game and flashes here and there since, but he hasn't made a solid-enough case for himself and his +/- is abyssmal.

http://www.gocheckers.com/articles/1370-carolina-reassigns-brock-mcginn-to-charlotte

edit - well, i guess they're saying it's because Charlotte is having injury troubles, but he still hasn't made a solid-enough case if you ask me...

edit II - not that any of you did...

Edited by realmdrakkar

Lake, the thing that jumps out at me is Hanifin's giveways per 60 minutes. That is in sheltered time. The kid is going to be great, but shows why he's getting scratched.

Yeah, McGinn back does make sense. I actually think it is a good move. Going back and forth can be good. A. The game is a half step slower, B. He is not slogging on the 4th line and can work on scoring.

This team needs a win streak and it needs it right now.

I agree sending Brock back to Charlotte is a good move. Peters and Francis has gotten a really good look at this kid in NHL games that count and sees what he could bring in the future of this organization. I'm sure there are some things he will need to work on and he'll get that in Charlotte. He will look at this as a confidence builder, knowing what he has to work on.

As far as Hanifin, he is still a kid. Defensemen typically take longer to develop and need seasoning in the AHL. A forward who is an offensive dynamo can go at it in the NHL with their speed and skill. Defense takes longer. Knowing where to go, offensive zone, defensive zone. Who covers the crease area while the partner goes for the puck. There is a lot more mental to their game, not just the physical part.

Edited by hopper915

Yeah, McGinn back does make sense. I actually think it is a good move. Going back and forth can be good. A. The game is a half step slower, B. He is not slogging on the 4th line and can work on scoring.

This team needs a win streak and it needs it right now.

Agreed.  Mind you i'm not convinced Malone or Nestrasil are going to make up the difference.  Think there's another call-up in the near future?  DiGiuseppe?  Ryan?  I certainly wouldn't mind seeing what Ryan brings to the table in an NHL game situation.  He's another midget and won't do anything to improve the 'team toughness', but he's proven he can score.

Edited by realmdrakkar

Ryan has 7 goals and 2 assists with the Chex, DiGi 4 goals and 6 assists. 

[aside: I wish that sites would list primary assists instead of total assists, or at least both] 

Yeah, Ryan is really small and isn't going to bring grit. But we know we're also in desperate need of some offensive skills.  Unfortunately a quick search didn't turn up anything on Ryan's actual skill set, just a list of his stats.  Is he fast? Good puck handler? Skilled passer?  Well, at least Peters knows what he's likely got in Ryan. . . 

Edited by LakeLivin

Ryan has 7 goals and 2 assists with the Chex, DiGi 4 goals and 6 assists. 

[aside: I wish that sites would list primary assists instead of total assists, or at least both] 

Yeah, Ryan is really small and isn't going to bring grit. But we know we're also in desperate need of some offensive skills.  Unfortunately a quick search didn't turn up anything on Ryan's actual skill set, just a list of his stats.  Is he fast? Good puck handler? Skilled passer?  Well, at least Peters knows what he's likely got in Ryan. . . 

When we brought him over from Sweden, RF called him a "skilled, playmaking center." Plus, like you point out, he played for BP in Spokane, so they have some history.

And yeah, if hockey would change the way it keeps any one stat, primary versus secondary assists would be my first preference too.

Edited by top-shelf-1

In preseason and camp Ryan frequently made things happen, but not sure about points. He was MVP in Sweden by being a playmaker. His problem might be that we are thick with centers, and he really is a center. DiGuisseppe was listed in one article I read as the most ready to be called up. He is a scorer. But probably would suffer the McGinn thing of a couple of games looking good, then drop back a bit.

I would love to see Ryan get a shot, but given we are weaker at wing, if someone comes up I would guess DiGuisseppe.

NHL commissioner says Canes here to stay by Chip Alexander

“People should not be concerned about something fueled by media in other locations. Everything Peter is doing is being done to ensure the long-term future of hockey in the Triangle. That’s where the league believes it should be and where it will be.”

People can say or joke about moving, do not see it happening, and   Gallagher is small for Montreal, seems to work, hes a dynamo..