The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

I like the Kings, i like Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, Carter, and Quick. There big problem is the league's changed from 2 seasons ago. When they snuck into the playoffs those cup years, they only had one or two teams to compete with for the bottom spot. Now, they've got Vancouver, Calgary, Colorado, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Dallas, San Jose looking to surpass them. And they're not getting any younger either. They're not built for the regular season, they have a methodical grinding game, rather than the up and down which favors teams in the regular season.

I predict we could have 2 lottery picks next year.

They were on 850AM back then.

I'm pretty sure it was WRBZ through "850 the Buzz".

Thanks. I've been listening to the Fan's stream today, and when they're on a break for the over-the-air stuff and need to fill the stream time they've either been unable to sell or haven't tried to, they play these "classic moments" or whatever they call them. Since they are affiliated with The Buzz, I need to understand: HOW CAN THEY BE PLAYING ANYTHING OTHER THAN HIGHLIGHTS OF THE CANES' CUP WIN ALL DAY LONG, ON THE FIRST DAY OF THE SEASON???

I guess listening to TSN 690 in Montreal all day yesterday spoiled me!

I've caught Forslund doing quite a few NBC/NBCSN broadcasts over the past couple of years. I think they use him as part of the B team when there are non-Wednesday night games or if they are covering more than one game a night. He is obviously very good at what he does. For Caniacs' sake, I hope he doesn't get a permanent position with NBC, but I would definitely understand why if it does happen.

Even when Doc got promoted to A-team, he spent many years still doing most of the Devil's broadcasts.  That would be fine for us.  There will come a day when we have to move on, and if we have a decade of mostly John after his promotion, that would be OK.  Then again, NBC sports is producing more shows, so maybe not.

I'm also worried about the day when ChuckK retires.  These days are not too far off.

Hey, at least Michelle has joined the team.  What an improvement.

My prediction as I mentioned on the game day thread: Canes fall short by 2 points from a playoff slot.

I think BP will manage the youth really well and get the most of them.

I also think E. will go away for a while in the first part of the season which will hurt.  Skinner will be hurt with a big injury which will ultimately undo the team.

But, the wildcards are the goalies.  If Cam/Lacky can do magic, it might give the young D some room to make mistakes.

Oh, and if Skins stays healthy and E. gets a contract bug up his behind, then who knows?

I hope he will not be out long term.  Each game that I see Murphy play the more I lose confidence in him ever being an NHL d man.  I am just not seeing it.  At this point I'm not even sure what exactly he brings to the table.  Also, Brett Bellemore couldn't even get an AHL Dman contract and he was a top 6 for us last season.  That really puts things into perspective.

Edited by bluedevil58

Last season we sat on our hands when J went down. Could be another year of on the job training for a prospect. I hope not. I thought Hainsey and Liles played well in the opener so there is that and there is always Falk. 3 out of 6 ain't bad if your playing baseball

I really don't know that the playoff prospects are good enough to give up that draft pick. I would have bet that we would be in position for a high draft pick prior to the injury, but it seems very likely now. The rebuild continues.

Jordan might get bumped up, but he plays left defense.  I would assume Biega would go in on the bottom pairing unless we make a trade or pick up a FA.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Are there any decent UFA's out there?

Also, which side does Rissanen play? And it does not help that Murphy had a mixed game (and that's being kind).

Edited by remkin

I looked earlier today, and nothing jumps off the paper.

Pesce plays the right side, but I just don't think the team could go with so many young defenseman.

We are in a pickle, that's for sure.

Edited by coastal_caniac

How funny is the thought of a team going 0-1-0 and deciding the season's over and they need to accrue picks lmfao

I'm sure that LAK 1st could fetch a solid 2nd pairing d man.

According to Peters (via Michael Smith TTS):

Michal Jordan, a healthy extra on Thursday, will draw into the lineup as early as Saturday, according to Peters.

“He should be in the lineup for the foreseeable future,” Peters said.

The Hurricanes also recalled Danny Biega from Charlotte to help patch the hole on defense. The 24-year-old defenseman made his NHL debut with Carolina last season, skating in 10 games and tallying two assists.

“It’s a great opportunity for all those young guys,” Peters said. “The old guys always had to step up. They’re obviously going to have to play big, valuable minutes.”

It will be interesting to see how the defensive lines shake out.  Sounds like they may dress 7 defenseman.

Edited by coastal_caniac

According to Peters (via Michael Smith TTS):

Michal Jordan, a healthy extra on Thursday, will draw into the lineup as early as Saturday, according to Peters.

“He should be in the lineup for the foreseeable future,” Peters said.

The Hurricanes also recalled Danny Biega from Charlotte to help patch the hole on defense. The 24-year-old defenseman made his NHL debut with Carolina last season, skating in 10 games and tallying two assists.

“It’s a great opportunity for all those young guys,” Peters said. “The old guys always had to step up. They’re obviously going to have to play big, valuable minutes.”

It will be interesting to see how the defensive lines shake out.  Sounds like they may dress 7 defenseman.

So, are they converting Murphy to a 4th line forward? :sarcasmalert: