The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

I think Semin is proof that sometimes we as fans don't know what we're talking about.

The fans up in DC sure as hell did when they warned us about his disappearing act...

Fun Sad Fact:

The Canes have the same number of points (13) on Nov 13, 2015 as they did on Nov 13, 2014.

Didn't even realize it was that bad. Lays it out there.

Barring a huge run over the next 6 games, Francis needs to proceed as if we're out of it.

Edited by remkin

I honestly don't think the suffering will be any worse than it is now.  This group isn't a player or two away from being competitive. 

I think the Canes are close to hitting rock bottom.  Sure, we could win a few games coming up and get some hope up, but really, is anyone holding their breath?

Fans can only take so much.  It really is suffering.

Look at us, the tried and true die-hard fans.  The mood around here about the team is as bad as I've seen it since I've been a member.

Edited by coastal_caniac

......Fans can only take so much.  It really is suffering.

Look at us, the tried and true die-hard fans.  The mood around here about the team is as bad as I've seen it since I've been a member.

I alluded to this in the GDT after the Dallas loss.  Scary to see Haq expressing the same view in the GDT for last night.  You're right, we're down to the die-hards and look at how painful it is for us.  As with Haq, my group doesn't want to go to the PNC experience we've both described as a morgue.

I really don't think Waddell knows Whiskey Tango Foxtrot about he's doing in the way of damage.  This isn't Toronto, and yes is more like ATL.  The Canes are so far from the ordinary person's (occasional fan) mind that spending anything on them is not happening soon.  Look at the beating they've taken on Parking, Concessions, etc.

I'm a believer in RF and BP to take care of the hockey side.  The Operations side of this is a fiasco.  No question that wholesale changes are ahead.  In any ordinary business with underachievement from your highest paid employees they would be gone, and will be later this year. 

Gerbe's been the only player imo to show up and bring it every night. I know the points haven't been there, but I think his effort is one the younger players should look up too.

Rask has been overall solid, pretty much has been the only player on the team that's shown improvement since last year. Having said that, if there is a young established player to be had, I could include he and Lindholm in a package.

Dude. All due respect, but that last idea is crazy. Especially the Rask part. But even Lindy. You don't trade a first rounder of his age who has shown he can play just because the guy on the other wing, our Captain, takes whole periods off.

And Rask is going to be a stud in this league for a long time. 

My keepers: Cam, Lack, Rask, Lindy, Faulk, Skinner (unless the deal is just too good to turn down; he's only 23), Hanifin, Murphy (he's actually looking the part, finally), Pesce, Nordstrom, Nesty, McClement.

All others should be available, and if we're convinced Steeger is leaving anyway, there's no need to wait for the TD if the right deal is there sooner.

Thanksgiving. We're either in a playoff spot or let the dealing begin.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Dude all due respect, but that last idea is crazy. Straight up.

I know how it comes across, so no offense taken.  When I mean an established young player, I mean a Stamkos or Johansen, which yes I would trade the both of them for those guys

As with Haq, my group doesn't want to go to the PNC experience we've both described as a morgue.

Now days it's just Mrs. Coastal and I. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

Fun Sad Fact:

The Canes have the same number of points (13) on Nov 13, 2015 as they did on Nov 13, 2014.

To add on to these Fun/Sad Facts are some stats I pulled from a poster from another board:

Record: 6 - 9 - 0

Standings: 7th in the Metro, 14th in the East, 25th in the NHL.

GF / G:: 2.00 (28th in NHL)

GA / GP: 2.87 (23rd in NHL)

PP%: 11.5% (28th in NHL)

PK%: 79.4% (17th in NHL)

SF/GP: 31.0 (7th best in NHL)

SA/GP: 25.5 (2nd best in NHL)

FO%: 53.7% (2nd best in NHL)

SH %: 6.5% (28th in NHL)

Hits: 29th in NHL

Blocks: 30th in NHL

Missed Shots: 4th (most) in NHL

GVA: 13th (most) in NHL

TKA: 2nd (best) in NHL

Minor Penalties: 2nd (best) in the NHL

Save %: 0.888 (27th in NHL)

So we're in the same position we are in last year, and our stats have dropped significantly.  What's really bad is we're actually good at not allowing shots, but terrible at stopping the ones we allow.

Fans and front office were looking for improvement, banking on key injuries to key players as our downfall, but got the exact opposite without key injuries to key players.  I'm done playing the should've would've could've with our roster, in sports your record is indicative of the team you have.

I think the Canes are close to hitting rock bottom.  Sure, we could win a few games coming up and get some hope up, but really, is anyone holding their breath?

Fans can only take so much.  It really is suffering.

Coastal: this is exactly what has been rolling through my mind.  Thank you.  Let me add a bit more:

1998-2001: clueless

2001-2004: yeah, we can do this!

2005-2006: what!  We are the champions!

2006-2009: OK, win a few, lose a few

2010-2012: well, we'll get it back

2012-2013: greedy players.  But in Semin and Staal we trust!

2013-2014: uh oh

2014-present: what hath Waddell wrought?

I know I'll probably be sorry for asking this, but is Gerbe essential to this team's success going forward?  I mean, he gives a good effort, but with 1 goal and 2 assists, he isn't making a huge impact.  He does have that LaRoes-esque intangible quality that makes him a fan favorite.  What we need are players with tangibles.

Faulk, Hanifin, Rask, and Lindholm would be the guys I'd be looking to hold onto, unless the return was an overpayment.  Anybody else, keep your ready bag packed.

Dear Waddell moving company, this team WILL not finish last, BOOK IT

Coastal: this is exactly what has been rolling through my mind.  Thank you.  Let me add a bit more:

1998-2001: clueless

2001-2004: yeah, we can do this!

2005-2006: what!  We are the champions!

2006-2009: OK, win a few, lose a few

2010-2012: well, we'll get it back

2012-2013: greedy players.  But in Semin and Staal we trust!

2013-2014: uh oh

2014-present: what hath Waddell wrought?

GOD, SOME MANY NEGATIVE  SO CALLED FANS... IT GETS BORING FAST!  Guess you dont watch the games, and to the person that called PNC a morgue, well , my wife and i were there last weekend, and when Skinner scored, it was far from a  morgue.... 

Speaking purely for myself, dinz, I am not negative - yet. Like RF, I'm giving this team until Thanksgiving.

We could absolutely go on a tear. I hope it starts tomorrow night.

But let me ask you this: Even if this team wins its next 10 games, breezes thru the rest of the season winning 60 percent of the time and makes the playoffs, do you have any faith whatsoever that it will carry over into next year?

I think there are several things that have so many of us despondent: (1) how this team seems to think that once it has a lead - 2 goals, 1 goal, whatever - it's all good and they can stop playing hockey; (2) their seeming total lack of comprehension that hockey is a 60-minute game and that every shift, every puck-handling decision, is crucial; and (3) that NO lead is EVER safe in a league where games are routinely decided by one goal - and where the combined total of goals is very often less than 6.

Check out tonight's scores. Fourteen goals TOTAL across four games, and three of them are over. If the Isles/Ducks stays where it is, averages out to less than 2 goals per team. Goals are as rare as hen's teeth in this league, and we don't value the ones we score. If we did, we wouldn't fall asleep and give leads away. We'd battle for every puck, all night long.

How many times do these guys have to get hit over the head by these facts before they start playing a full 60, stop giving games away in their own barn, and maybe - just maybe - have shifts FOLLOWING a goal that are actually BETTER than the shift they just scored on? Seriously, when's the last time you can remember seeing that?

Edited by top-shelf-1

Anyone whose still here willing to complain about this team is a fan in my book. Close to no one else gives a crap anymore and the attendance shows it.

GOD, SOME MANY NEGATIVE  SO CALLED FANS... IT GETS BORING FAST!  Guess you dont watch the games, and to the person that called PNC a morgue, well , my wife and i were there last weekend, and when Skinner scored, it was far from a  morgue.... 

Lighten up Massachusetts.

You haven't earned the right to judge me as a fan from your ivory tower in the Northeast.

Ya know Coastal, you have pulled this north -south crap with  me before, i have a right to my opinion, and im still not fighting the civil war., like you..... You lighten up, its a  world, that we  all are the same, Ivory tower in the north east..[lol].. GROW UP... TO be honest, your EGO is a turn off...  flame off...

Well, we have the "Crazy Caniac of the Game", right?  That's pretty exciting!  I look forward to that wonderful piece of culture every game!  Yeah!

But damnit, where are my Cheesesteaks?  

Well, we have the "Crazy Caniac of the Game", right?  That's pretty exciting!  I look forward to that wonderful piece of culture every game!  Yeah!

But damnit, where are my Cheesesteaks?  

Surely they will offer Cheesesteaks for the Flyers game. :facepalm2:

Surely they will offer Cheesesteaks for the Flyers game. :facepalm2:

Yeah, but the fans will complain bitterly about how wrongly made they are, and then try to start a fight with anyone who disagrees.

This board needs a win as bad as the team does!

Don't need any wins when we have Crazy Caniac contests.  That's all I need.  Totally worth my $40.