The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

With all the talk about a rebuild, with or without Eric or Cam, the elephant in the room is who we are rebuilding around. We have a number of solid D prospects, and 2 years out, that should be a strength. But what of our young forwards? Rask is probably exceeding expectations, but Skinner (3 goals, 4 points) and Lindholm ( 2 goals) are producing so little that I don't think we could get a 1st for either of them at this time. Aside from Versteeg, who is not a young player anyway, the pieces we have picked up from the scrap pile (Nestracil, Nordstrom) look like solid 4th liners and penalty killers. Neither has top 6 potential on a contending team in my opinion.

That's where we go and trade Eric, Jordan, Came, whoever for a few decent mid/upper-tier players...then go after a big name or two during FA this next summer and sell them "we are in a rebuild, and we're going to rebuild this team around you and your talents..."  Whether they take the bait remains to be seen, but that's what I'd at least go for if I'm Franchise.

GOD, SOME MANY NEGATIVE  SO CALLED FANS... IT GETS BORING FAST!  Guess you dont watch the games, and to the person that called PNC a morgue, well , my wife and i were there last weekend, and when Skinner scored, it was far from a  morgue.... 

Just catching up today...  long weekend.

I also own up to calling the RBC a morgue, multiple times.

I go to every game.  I agree, when Skinner scored it was not a morgue, but scoring a game tieing goal with 3.3 seconds left will cause a crowd to get a little boisterous.   That game was a fun game to attend.

What would motivate a person to call the RBC a morgue?  It's a wake-up call to management, that the game experience is literally a negative most of the time now.  When you go home more angry than you were when you arrived at the game, and paid for the privilege, that is not an environment that is going to "bring in the fans".

It's not a question of a person's level of fandom.  I am going tonight again.  I am still paying for full season tickets.  There is still hope alive somewhere in there, it just is buried pretty deep at times.

If there wasn't passion in us, we wouldn't even care enough to come on here and call the venue a morgue, it would be a waste of time and effort.  Obviously I DONT WANT IT TO BE A MORGUE or I wouldn't point it out.

I don't blame the fans either.  They are human, have emotions.

I also don't blame you Dinz for being mad that I/we are bashing the team/venue. but realize at least for my part I am coming from a place where I am concerned that if something isn't done to make this team marketable, we will lose it, and NO HOCKEY is worse than BAD HOCKEY.

When times are bad, we also tend to argue with each other too.  It's not you or me, it's the situation (not winning) that sucks.  When we are winning the passion is directed at the joy of winning.  When we have been losing for this long, we are all struggling to find the answers to who/what/where/why/how to make it stop.

Make it stop please Canes.  We just want to enjoy ourselves again on the simple pleasures of the escapism of sports.  It's not life or death, but there are many other ways to enjoy yourself if the Canes are just not capable of providing it anymore.

I heard this analysis on XM yesterday: (pararphrased):

"The fans of this team are there, but they have been dissapointed so many times thinking this team would be better than it is. If this team starts winning again they'll have loads of fans filling the building."

They were talking about.....Columbus.

It is the same here. Yes, the Minnesota game was sparsely attended. But when those first two goals came the place was very much alive indeed. The excitement was palpable. But instead of building on it, Cam allowed a goal to kill the buzz at the end of the first, and the team came out and laid down in the second. Here we go again. Buzz killed.

The fans are out there. People want to come cheer on a good team. But this team has been a buzz kill, especially at home where they are 2-4-2 and both of those ties were giveaway should be wins. Might as well be 2-5.

If you build it they will come. But they have not yet built it. Hopefully it starts pretty soon.

Edited by remkin

I heard this analysis on XM yesterday: (pararphrased):

"The fans of this team are there, but they have been dissapointed so many times thinking this team would be better than it is. If this team starts winning again they'll have loads of fans filling the building."

They were talking about.....Columbus.

It is the same here. Yes, the Minnesota game was sparsely attended. But when those first two goals came the place was very much alive indeed. The excitement was palpable. But instead of building on it, Cam allowed a goal to kill the buzz at the end of the first, and the team came out and laid down in the second. Here we go again. Buzz killed.

The fans are out there. People want to come cheer on a good team. But this team has been a buzz kill, especially at home where they are 2-3-2 and both of those ties were giveaway should be wins. Might as well be 2-5.

If you build it they will come. But they have not yet built it. Hopefully it starts pretty soon.

And this is exactly why this franchise is going nowhere, and why I wish people would drop it, already. Raleigh might not be a traditional or large hockey market, but the number of hockey fans here, the ice rinks, and the kids playing the game guarantees that a consistently competitive pro team will make it very hard for the NHL to accept the abandonment of this market. 

Just catching up today...  long weekend.

I also own up to calling the RBC a morgue, multiple times.

I go to every game.  I agree, when Skinner scored it was not a morgue, but scoring a game tieing goal with 3.3 seconds left will cause a crowd to get a little boisterous.   That game was a fun game to attend.

What would motivate a person to call the RBC a morgue?  It's a wake-up call to management, that the game experience is literally a negative most of the time now.  When you go home more angry than you were when you arrived at the game, and paid for the privilege, that is not an environment that is going to "bring in the fans".

It's not a question of a person's level of fandom.  I am going tonight again.  I am still paying for full season tickets.  There is still hope alive somewhere in there, it just is buried pretty deep at times.

If there wasn't passion in us, we wouldn't even care enough to come on here and call the venue a morgue, it would be a waste of time and effort.  Obviously I DONT WANT IT TO BE A MORGUE or I wouldn't point it out.

I don't blame the fans either.  They are human, have emotions.

I also don't blame you Dinz for being mad that I/we are bashing the team/venue. but realize at least for my part I am coming from a place where I am concerned that if something isn't done to make this team marketable, we will lose it, and NO HOCKEY is worse than BAD HOCKEY.

When times are bad, we also tend to argue with each other too.  It's not you or me, it's the situation (not winning) that sucks.  When we are winning the passion is directed at the joy of winning.  When we have been losing for this long, we are all struggling to find the answers to who/what/where/why/how to make it stop.

Make it stop please Canes.  We just want to enjoy ourselves again on the simple pleasures of the escapism of sports.  It's not life or death, but there are many other ways to enjoy yourself if the Canes are just not capable of providing it anymore.

WELL SAID!

1 week to Thanksgiving...2 points out of dead last in the league.

Smells familiar

3 behind  boston , who i believe are in 8th, may be wrong there...

5 points out of 8th, Tampa.   2 games in hand.  However, as Rem has pointed out many times, it looks tantalizingly close but far more distant than it looks.  Not only do you need to make up the ground, but also leapfrog 5 additional teams.

You may be wrong, if you are talking wildcard. Looks like 6 pts out of the last wildcard spot (Pittsburgh). We are 3 behind Boston though.

Right, Hags and super_dave.. Thanks.... i guess i worry about finishing ahead of boston, being from  Massachusetts.:)

1 week to Thanksgiving...2 points out of dead last in the league.

Smells familiar

You know we're running a month ahead of last year.

October 2014- NO WINS

October 2015- FIVE WINS!

November 2014- FIVE WINS!

November 2015-  ?????

December 2014- THREE WINS

December 2015- ?????

January 2015- SEVEN WINS

So we should expect 7 wins in December, but only 3 wins in November.

well, hightlight of night, congrats Noah Hanifin on first goal!  This team cant handle a big team, i feel defeated as this team plays....I concede early in race, make the MOVES...

Is it Thanksgiving yet? On November 16 I am most excited about what this team's "assets" can fetch in terms of draft picks. November was the month this team was going to ride the home-heavy schedule into contention and instead it's the month they're going to fall out of playoff contention. One man's opinion is that this team just isn't talented enough. The system works; hence the impressive differential in shots and scoring chances. They just don't have enough skill or desire to score. I am hoping Francis starts jettisoning veterans as soon as he can with an eye towards building this team through better drafting. The defense will be good if these guys are allowed to grow together. A couple more years concentrated on drafting skilled forwards and this team should be competitive. They clearly aren't now. Look at what Tampa and Chicago have done. It will be painful getting there but the reward could be great and the team will be more fun to watch. It's painful now because of the futility.

Folks, I'm off for a while.  Thanksgiving is coming up and I'm travelling.  I need to disengage from following this crappy team for a while.  I need my mental health, and I'm getting no joy at all from this fiasco.

Is it Thanksgiving yet? On November 16 I am most excited about what this team's "assets" can fetch in terms of draft picks. November was the month this team was going to ride the home-heavy schedule into contention and instead it's the month they're going to fall out of playoff contention. One man's opinion is that this team just isn't talented enough. The system works; hence the impressive differential in shots and scoring chances. They just don't have enough skill or desire to score. I am hoping Francis starts jettisoning veterans as soon as he can with an eye towards building this team through better drafting. The defense will be good if these guys are allowed to grow together. A couple more years concentrated on drafting skilled forwards and this team should be competitive. They clearly aren't now. Look at what Tampa and Chicago have done. It will be painful getting there but the reward could be great and the team will be more fun to watch. It's painful now because of the futility.

Just what do you think Francis can get for guys that"don't have enough skill or desire to score." These guys are clearly not producing, and are making a lot of money. If they start playing better, they might bring a decent return at the deadline, but now, all they will bring back is another over paid,under performing player, or a third or fourth round draft pick. Our guys value goes down after each crappy game. Trading these guys for good returns is not going to be easy, and may be darn near impossible.

Just what do you think Francis can get for guys that"don't have enough skill or desire to score." These guys are clearly not producing, and are making a lot of money. If they start playing better, they might bring a decent return at the deadline, but now, all they will bring back is another over paid,under performing player, or a third or fourth round draft pick. Our guys value goes down after each crappy game. Trading these guys for good returns is not going to be easy, and may be darn near impossible.

It's just like picking up somebody at a bar before closing time.  They get better looking the closer it gets.  EStaal may look like a "4" now, but before trading deadline, he'll be at least a "9".

Edited by super_dave_1

Put Eric on a playoff team and you'll see the Eric Staal that showed up for Team canada in Vancouver. At least for a little while.

Yeah, because trying to get an extension on a 9+ million contract is not enough motivation.

Edited by winger52

Yeah, because trying to get an extension on a 9+ million contract is nor enough motivation.

Eric is going to be part of the solution, by bringing a first-round pick and a couple of prospect (or a journeyman). That, and shedding his salary, is plenty good enough for me.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Since Eric is the face of the franchise I get that he is the focus of discontent. He really isn't playing that badly. He is a big body and a proven top 6 center and wing.As deadline approaches and his amount owed decreases I expect he will become a player to be considered by playoff bound teams. Eric holds the NT card so I would think bubble teams won't be in the equation only true contenders.

Rebuilding, particularly when you've committed to building thru the draft, means not worrying about returns, other than draft picks. Yes, you try to get whatever else you can, mid-grade journeymen guys who can fill out the roster until the picks develop. Maybe one or two of those throw-ins step up and become change agents, "good guys in the room" who provide on-ice leadership. But aside from high picks, anything else is a bonus. That's the pickle JR left us in, and despite how badly we suck right now, I'm just thankful that we're not following his approach of trying to dig ourselves out of mediocrity by getting even more mediocre.

No matter how bad our top-paid guys get, we're not going to get less than a first-round pick and a journeyman for them, because that would be an insult TO THEM by the acquiring team--and just as important to us getting SOMETHING back is the acquiring team beginning the relationship with some acknowledgment of their ability. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Other than Eric we also have 7 other players in the last year of their contracts,

Versteeg - playoff experience and solid player. If I were a team fighting for the playoffs I would ask,

Liles - experienced puck moving D-man. Paired correctly he could help a team in need. I think there will be interest.

Ward - Now this is a dilemma, Its apparent Ward-o wants to stay. Trading him leaves us lacking in the crease for the moment. He has a no trade and would likely only go to a playoff bound team. Is there is a market for him under those conditions. Depends, I guess. Perhaps the best case scenario would be , Cam we would like to send you to a playoff team but you know, wink, wink, nudge, nudge say no more, say no more. lets not lose touch and come see me over the summer.

Gerbe, Nash, Terry, Malone. I'm not sure of the interest but could be part of a trade. I think Nash is still part of our future but as RF once said all offers must be listened to.

I'm not advocating any of the trades just saying there will be moves to consider.