The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

Since Eric is the face of the franchise I get that he is the focus of discontent. He really isn't playing that badly. He is a big body and a proven top 6 center and wing.As deadline approaches and his amount owed decreases I expect he will become a player to be considered by playoff bound teams. Eric holds the NT card so I would think bubble teams won't be in the equation only true contenders.

For me it has never been about how well he plays individually. It's about two things: His inability to make those around him better (as both a player and a leader), and how much we're paying him to not deliver on either of those things.

He will absolutely go to playoff-bound team, and will absolutely contribute. Eric Staal will be the 2016 version of Jarome Iginla.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Other than Eric we also have 7 other players in the last year of their contracts,

Versteeg - playoff experience and solid player. If I were a team fighting for the playoffs I would ask,

Liles - experienced puck moving D-man. Paired correctly he could help a team in need. I think there will be interest.

Ward - Now this is a dilemma, Its apparent Ward-o wants to stay. Trading him leaves us lacking in the crease for the moment. He has a no trade and would likely only go to a playoff bound team. Is there a market for him under those conditions. Depends, I guess. Perhaps the best case scenario would be , Cam we would like to send you to a playoff team but you know, wink, wink, nudge, nudge say no more, say no more. lets not lose touch and come see me over the summer.

Gerbe, Nash, Terry, Malone. I'm not sure of the interest but could be part of a trade. I think Nash is still part of our future but as RF once said all offers must be listened to.

I'm not advocating any of the trades just saying there will be moves to considered.

I think if Eric goes J does too. Blood is thicker than water, and talent aside, I think without a clean break from the family the risk - real or imagined - that bad blood will affect the team's ability to move on is a risk RF will not want to take. 

I think if Eric goes J does too. Blood is thicker than water, and talent aside, I think without a clean break from the family the risk - real or imagined - that bad blood will affect the team's ability to move on is a risk RF will not want to take. 

Easier said than done I expect. J is probable worth the $6 million a season and I'm sure there are teams that would love to have him but he is only in the 3rd year of a 10 year deal. That is a big commitment for a team. I don't think we are in a position to retain part of his salary to make the deal happen.

I think J already addressed the possibility of E moving on. If I remember correctly he answered a question about it with a reply we like playing together but were not the Sedins

I wonder...are we giving up on this team too soon.  Not saying a playoff team but maybe watching something click and they become a team to be reckoned with as the season goes on.

Are we giving up on the team too soon?

I think everyone needs to remember we ultimately need a mix of veterans and youth.  If you have all youth, they all reach free agency the same time and you have cap issues resigning them.  You need a never ending mix of all ages in order to deal with the cap, i.e. you want some talented youth you can keep for cheaper until they go UFA, and keep some UFA talent.  

Once we free up some salary, we should be able to get a few mid-ranged older players to mix with the yewts.

I just remind folks this that you can't have only prospects and picks.  At some point, you reach the salary floor as well.  We'll need to keep some of these guys, even if we move them after the season for other guys.

Ward - Now this is a dilemma, Its apparent Ward-o wants to stay. Trading him leaves us lacking in the crease for the moment. He has a no trade and would likely only go to a playoff bound team. Is there is a market for him under those conditions. Depends, I guess. Perhaps the best case scenario would be , Cam we would like to send you to a playoff team but you know, wink, wink, nudge, nudge say no more, say no more. lets not lose touch and come see me over the summer.

Here's a thought. Maybe Cam would be interested in going to a playoff team as a loaner at the trade deadline, get us some assets and come back for 2-3 more seasons.

Edited by hopper915

Put Eric on a playoff team and you'll see the Eric Staal that showed up for Team canada in Vancouver. At least for a little while.

That was five years,and a lot of missed playoffs ago.

I wonder...are we giving up on this team too soon.  Not saying a playoff team but maybe watching something click and they become a team to be reckoned with as the season goes on.

I honestly think we've been holding onto them too long...both as fans and as a team.

What a feckless, hapless team.  Watching them play last night was boring.  No swagger, nothing.  If I were Ward or E Staal I would be looking to bail on this team at the trade deadline.  What does it say when Hannifan an 18 year old rookie is on the PP?  It shows we have zero depth on the blueline.  We are last in attendance in the NHL.  I was in Toronto last week watching the Leafs lose to Winnipeg at the Air Canada center and they had about 19,000 fans there and they're worse than us. Last nights crowd at PNC couldn't have been more than about 5-6,000.  This is a really ugly situation.  We are so short on talent when it comes to scoring.  Skinner is positively scared to go into the corners or park it in front of the net. Lindholm may be a 5th pick 1st round bust.  What a joke when I hear him being compared to a Peter Forsberg by way of who he tries to model himself after.

Is the this place to come vent?

I was a season ticket holder for a while. My wife and I decided to skip out this year because we have our first little one coming in December. I was pretty upset by that...until last night. We dropped a good bit of cash to sit close since we don't go as much, and it's just disappointing. I hate the "dead" feeling in the building (which I obviously contribute to since I didn't get tickets), but I mostly hate the dead play. It's obvious that we just don't have the guns to get it done. 

I've always irritated the hell out of my friends by being so blindly optimistic about this team..."just wait, we'll be studs in a couple years". It's getting harder to do that this season. I'll still go to games, I'll definitely bring my son when he's old enough. I desperately want this team to be good again, but I'm afraid it'll get worse before it gets better. I believe in GMRF, but this season has been a bitter pill so far. 

Thanks for everyone here that keeps posting and gives me something to read. It's tough, and if we weren't hardcore fans, we wouldn't be here. Patience has been preached. Much like many of us here, I'm losing mine.

Easier said than done I expect. J is probable worth the $6 million a season and I'm sure there are teams that would love to have him but he is only in the 3rd year of a 10 year deal. That is a big commitment for a team. I don't think we are in a position to retain part of his salary to make the deal happen.

I think J already addressed the possibility of E moving on. If I remember correctly he answered a question about it with a reply we like playing together but were not the Sedins

I remember that, and it's all well and good. I just think it's tough to keep him once we've traded his brother. I do think somebody would pick him up at his current salary, particularly if we send one of the guys whose contracts are expiring along with him. 

Its official, Dooms day has arrived for the fan base and message board. 4 game losing streak  in November after starting bad in October. Oh how different it would be if we would have won the two OT games.    I guess we may finally see the big changes start to happen and with the horrid attendance I'm starting to try to accept that the Carolina Hurricanes may not exist much longer here in Raleigh.  Guess I'll be a Caps fan or something.  Of course, a 4 game winning streak turns it all around!  sigh......we know it aint happening

Is the this place to come vent?

I was a season ticket holder for a while. My wife and I decided to skip out this year because we have our first little one coming in December. I was pretty upset by that...until last night. We dropped a good bit of cash to sit close since we don't go as much, and it's just disappointing. I hate the "dead" feeling in the building (which I obviously contribute to since I didn't get tickets), but I mostly hate the dead play. It's obvious that we just don't have the guns to get it done. 

I've always irritated the hell out of my friends by being so blindly optimistic about this team..."just wait, we'll be studs in a couple years". It's getting harder to do that this season. I'll still go to games, I'll definitely bring my son when he's old enough. I desperately want this team to be good again, but I'm afraid it'll get worse before it gets better. I believe in GMRF, but this season has been a bitter pill so far. 

Thanks for everyone here that keeps posting and gives me something to read. It's tough, and if we weren't hardcore fans, we wouldn't be here. Patience has been preached. Much like many of us here, I'm losing mine.

Congrats on the upcoming bundle of joy.

I believe in GMRF too, but as others have mentioned, he has had his hands tied with what JR left us with.  I don't think we can make much progress until we figure out what we're doing with both Cam and E, and those moves may not happen until the trade deadline or even the offseason.  Either way, what GMRF decides to do with those big contracts is going to define where this team heads in the long term.

I never expected we'd make the playoffs this season, but the losses still sting.

How long does Karmanos wait until he concludes no local buyers will buy the Canes leaving him to sell to an out-of-towner?  He's won a cup and is now in HOF.  Nothing left to do except sell the team to the highest bidder no matter what they intend to do with it by way of relocation. Sadly you can't even put a shine on what this team has become.  When you see Canes "highlights" on TSN or NBC Sports our rink looks like Florida did a few years back with a few fans here and there wth a lower bowl thats about 70% empty and the bleeds about 90% empty. 

Going back to the Philly game remember when Murphy got boarded (run from behind) and fell to the ice behind our net - not ONE Hurricanes teammate took on the Philly player.  Not one.  This team has zero identity; boys playing for a paycheck then heading out the door going there own seperate ways is what it looks like.

Going back to the Philly game remember when Murphy got boarded (run from behind) and fell to the ice behind our net - not ONE Hurricanes teammate took on the Philly player.  Not one.  This team has zero identity; boys playing for a paycheck then heading out the door going there own seperate ways is what it looks like.

I'm not defending much on this team at this point, but i will point out that it wasn't much later in that game that Liles did take a run at that player and that player (White) is now out 2-4 because of it.

I gave up on them 2.5 years ago. Karmanos will not receive any more revenue from me until positive signs are demonstrated.

I haven't given up on this team. Some will say I am looking at this team through rose colored glasses, but I do see some positives. I'll start with......

Our Blue Line:

If you take away Hainsey, Liles and Wisniewski, the average age of our blue line is around 20 yrs old. it takes defensemen longer to develop.

Faulk (AGE 23) being here since 2011-12 season, he is still a work in progress and still learning the NHL game. 2-3 more seasons and he could be a Norris contender.

Pesce (AGE 21) plays a pretty smart game, and while he makes some mistakes, there aren't many.

Murphy (AGE 22) has made strides in his own end and has become less noticeable. Last year playing in Charlotte was great for him.

Hanifin (AGE 18) is playing beyond his age. Does he make mistakes, expected.

Jordan (AGE 25) he is being tasked with playing on his off-wing which has been very difficult for him. In the long run it will make him a better defenseman. I think there is still hope for him.

Edited by hopper915

So, for those who want to hold onto hope, my contention is that, using the T day cutoff, there is still a way. But there is not even a tiny margin of error. We need to win all 4 of the remaining games.

I contended and laid out the math and logic about 8 pages back, that the clear cut line for this team to show it had the goods by T day, was 6-3-1. And .500 or below was a clear sign that our chances are slim. So far in those 10 games we are 1-3-2. So, 6-3-1 is no longer possible. But there is the tweener options: 5-4-1 or 5-3-2. 5-4-1 is no longer on the table, so 5-3-2 is the only way (and is slightly better also).

5-3-2 is 12/20 points. It is, IMHO, the lowest run over those games that would buy the team a few more games if I'm the GM. It is around the playoff pace for that last team that gets in. But of course, we dug a hole, so it would leave that hole still to be filled, but at least we would have shown, barely, a bare minimum playoff pace over 10 games, and with 4 plus months of hockey left, the hole would still be fillable (though history suggests at least most of that hole will need to be filled in December).

At this point, making that bet on this team is nuts. But it wouldn't exacalty be this team if they rip off 4 wins.

If I'm Francis, I also want to see a level of play that suggests we might be able to keep at it and even find a higher gear in December. The schedule does not get easier in December.

So, 4 wins, and some signs of scoring in most of those games, or I'm putting word out that I'm open for business, and there aren't many names on the untradable list (aside from NTC's of course).

Never know. Of course if we lose Friday? Put a fork in it. The winds of change will need to blow strong after T day.

Edited by remkin

If we keep these guys, when do we get better?  New contracts mean we will be having these same conversations for years to come. By the way, that breeze you feel is all the eastern conference teams passing us. Also 13 out of 14 in the west.

Canes are bringing back Gleason.  I mean thats how we operate:  Dump players/coaches that were no longer good enough wait a bit then bring them back.  I liked Tim's game a few years back, he was tough and fearless and just what the Canes needed.  Then overnight it seemed he got slow and old.  This is just more stop gap BS by Canes management.  Ronnie is throwing darts because his budget is a bag of pucks at this point based on several factors like that fool JR and our current attendance woes.  Our supposed top players lack passion to win at any cost and as a result Peters is left coaching a team that could only make the playoffs if the entire squad got sent to Charlotte.  The joke continues...