The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

This could also explain the need. From Checkers website

Danny Biega, Keegan Lowe and Tyler Ganly didn't practice all last week and missed both games over the weekend, while Rasmus Rissanen exited Friday's loss and did not return. The team was forced to play with five defensemen in three straight games before having Kyle Hagel, who hadn't played defense since college, fill in as the sixth blue liner on Saturday. Head coach Mark Morris had no specific updates following the weekend, but did offer this bit of info.

"I think they're more long-term than short," said Morris.

Its looks like what was some depth at Charlotte is evaporating as injuries mount

Good update OBX onCheckers issues, that explains alot.  Still not sure why Ronnie doesn't try a package deal with another team to get one better forward and experienced good reputation DMan, ie. Skinner, Malone, Hainsey for: ??

I suppose he could actually be a better mentor for Pesce than Liles or Hainsey - i actually kind of compare Pesce's game to Gleason's when he was in his prime.  Of course if the thought is to sign an extra guy so they fill an extra spot in Charlotte, that doesn't compute.  They aren't going to send Liles, Hainsey, or Faulk to Charlotte.  Jordan's on a 1-way in Raleigh.  Murphy's out for who-knows-how-long with a concussion.  Who would they send down?  Pesce or Hanifin.  Or Gleason does the LaRose thing and goes to Charlotte.  Either way, unless they send Hanifin down - which i guess is a possibility since he's been a healthy scratch in Raleigh multiple times... but i still find it unlikely - Pesce and Gleason don't hit the same ice anyway.

Someone get Rosey on the phone, stat!  ;)

I don't know how I feel about this...on one hand, I'm sick and tired of the endless recycling...on the other, I hope he gets called up to Raleigh and starts pummeling players who take cheap shots at our players because they know we won't retaliate.

Could be addressing a potential need for a guy who won't let his teammates take crap even if he can't play defense worth a crap anymore.

I'd rather Hanifin getting top line checker minutes then playing with these guys another minute. Let Gleason come back into the fold and finishing sinking with what he helped start.

Can't keep the status quo with ruining rookies.

Edited by legend-1

I agree that sending Hanifin down for a stint could be a nice stretch entirely for his developement. He did play a pretty good game vs. Anaheim though, and got a goal to boot. I guess one could add Pesce to the list of guys who wouldn't be harmed w/ some time in Charlotte. Still, even on a one way we could send Jordan down and pay him NHL money. Not like he won't clear waivers.

Then there is the conspiracy theory part of me that wants to think this kind of move signals an upcoming trade. We are rich in D prospects and even have a couple of potentially tradeable veteran dmen ironically (Hainsey/JML). If the right move was there to get us the right forward for the future, this year is pretty much toast anyway.....but w/ no one to call up from Charlotte to replace the player to be traded, we need a body.

It is more likely that the Gleason arrival is due to the Charlotte injury bug combined w/ Murphy being out though. In my experience, predicting that these kinds of moves are settting up a trade has not born out the vast majority of times.

It is still more fun to speculate about though.

Edited by remkin

Then there is the conspiracy theory part of me that wants to think this kind of move signals an upcoming trade. We are rich in D prospects and even have a couple of potentially tradeable veteran dmen ironically (Hainsey/JML). If the right move was there to get us the right forward for the future, this year is pretty much toast anyway.....but w/ no one to call up from Charlotte to replace the player to be traded, we need a body.

Sorry, i had to go grab a towel to wipe the drool from my chin there...

So, for those who want to hold onto hope, my contention is that, using the T day cutoff, there is still a way. But there is not even a tiny margin of error. We need to win all 4 of the remaining games.

I contended and laid out the math and logic about 8 pages back, that the clear cut line for this team to show it had the goods by T day, was 6-3-1. And .500 or below was a clear sign that our chances are slim. So far in those 10 games we are 1-3-2. So, 6-3-1 is no longer possible. But there is the tweener options: 5-4-1 or 5-3-2. 5-4-1 is no longer on the table, so 5-3-2 is the only way (and is slightly better also).

5-3-2 is 12/20 points. It is, IMHO, the lowest run over those games that would buy the team a few more games if I'm the GM. It is around the playoff pace for that last team that gets in. But of course, we dug a hole, so it would leave that hole still to be filled, but at least we would have shown, barely, a bare minimum playoff pace over 10 games, and with 4 plus months of hockey left, the hole would still be fillable (though history suggests at least most of that hole will need to be filled in December).

At this point, making that bet on this team is nuts. But it wouldn't exacalty be this team if they rip off 4 wins.

If I'm Francis, I also want to see a level of play that suggests we might be able to keep at it and even find a higher gear in December. The schedule does not get easier in December.

So, 4 wins, and some signs of scoring in most of those games, or I'm putting word out that I'm open for business, and there aren't many names on the untradable list (aside from NTC's of course).

Never know. Of course if we lose Friday? Put a fork in it. The winds of change will need to blow strong after T day.

Wouldn't that be nice and I really hope they do it, However,  I have a feeling the teams about to come undone and lose a lot.  I think they are now deflated and lost all confidence and passion and have accepted they are all on a sucky team and are hoping to be traded somewhere better(wouldn't you ?). .

On top of that the empty arena starts each game with a negative feeling for the players.  believe me they notice and it affects them.

This seems very similar to last November.  I remember we had a 5 game winning streak at the beginning which gave us a glimmer of hope, than we lost a couple of tough ones that we outplayed other team, than got blown out a couple times, than came unraveled and lost a lot.

This November we had a very good west coast road trip that was supposed to be tough so we had a glimmer of hope.  than we came home lost a couple close OT games, and than got blown out by Anaheim. So I'm assuming the same pattern is here. 

I still watch every dang game with the hopes that "this will be the beginning of an amazing 8 game winning streak".  Lets go Canes.  

Just to clarify, I'm not predicting 4-0. (though I did in the GDT as a wild hope kind of thing).

The odds of that straight up are 1/16 (yes, that mind blowingly complex remkin powerhouse math). But have to be worse since we are proably not favored in 3/4 of those games and we are fragile right now.

Ironically I do wonder if the two give away games might not play a big role in the team pyche. "Even when we play our butts off and get out to a 2-0 lead we manage to lose" kind of thing. Ironic since playing to that lead in the first place showed something.

I personaly think Francis is currently like a fan, near the end of a game that seems lost, gathering their things together, to watch the ending ready to go. If there's an unexpected comeback they can settle back into their chair, but when the likely ending happens they're off the parking lot like a shot.

Edited by remkin

I'm not defending much on this team at this point, but i will point out that it wasn't much later in that game that Liles did take a run at that player and that player (White) is now out 2-4 because of it.

You're wasting your breath.  Even after you pointed this out, people continue to post about our lack of response to the hit on Murphy.  I'm wondering if part of it might be that it was Liles.  I swear, I think he must have gotten a hold of Harry Potter's invisibility cloak (except of course when he screws up.) :P

I don't know if Liles hit on White was retaliation or not. There was no penalty called, and the hit was from the side as compared to Murphy getting hit from directly behind. But if a team is going to retaliate in an important close game (which that one was imo), seems to me that it's smarter to do it in such a way instead of giving up the advantage you just gained from the penalty.  Of course, that's not as satisfying to many fans as immediate retaliation, even if that hurts your chances of winning . . .

If I'm Francis, I also want to see a level of play that suggests we might be able to keep at it and even find a higher gear in December. The schedule does not get easier in December.

When you are the worst team in the league, the schedule never gets any easier.

At some point you have to stop caring who you are playing and just win.  The object is to beat everyone, no matter if they are good or bad.

I know maybe this sounds naive or stupid, but we end up playing everyone.  I fail to believe that the schedule is bad every month.  This will be the 3rd month out of 3 that it is said we have a "tough schedule".

We have been lucky on back to backs unlike other years (fewer, facing teams on  back to back on the same time as us, actually catching teams on a back to back when we are rested).  We just played a talented team on the worst streak they have probably ever had with this talent, and cured them of their ills as usual.

We played Detroit on a downswing and managed 2 victories.  So our schedule woes haven't been as bad as they are made out to be.  

At some point you just need to win.

Edited by hag65

I'd wager that Timmy's here for two reasons only: he's cheap and available. No team in the running is likely to move anybody right now, and teams not in the running are - like us - hoping "their groups" can somehow get hot and get within shouting distance a week from now. With CLT depleted, Gleason was the only option.

You're wasting your breath.  Even after you pointed this out, people continue to post about our lack of response to the hit on Murphy.  I'm wondering if part of it might be that it was Liles.  I swear, I think he must have gotten a hold of Harry Potter's invisibility cloak (except of course when he screws up.) :P

I don't know if Liles hit on White was retaliation or not. There was no penalty called, and the hit was from the side as compared to Murphy getting hit from directly behind. But if a team is going to retaliate in an important close game (which that one was imo), seems to me that it's smarter to do it in such a way instead of giving up the advantage you just gained from the penalty.  Of course, that's not as satisfying to many fans as immediate retaliation, even if that hurts your chances of winning . . .

I posted a link to a video showing both hits days ago. Crickets.

We complain about Liles, and yeah, maybe he's overpaid at $4.5 million. But the cultural issues, missed forward assignments, and general lack of effort will drag anybody's game down. Somebody posted weeks ago about how the struggles might be affecting Hanifin, and while I agree with one respondent's point that he's surely lost before and can handle it, I gotta say: My biggest fear, at this point, is that the big-contract guys turn it on at the last moment, we get close, and we re-sign (read: resign ourselves to extending) them.

Our D is on the road to recovery, but nobody on the forward corps will truly be on notice until the biggest pieces face the music for mailing it in all these years. At this point, even if they get hot--no, I'm sorry. Fool us once, shame on, um... shame on... you. Fool us... uh... we can't get fooled again!

Edited by top-shelf-1

Gleason to Practice With Canes

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=788495

Eek.  I'd rather Slavin get a shot in Raleigh.  At least Gleason will stand up to people now and then, i guess.

My impression of our parting of ways with Gleason was that he doesn't fit our system anymore.

Regardless of why, this is not a message to send, a former assistant captain who fell out of favor, couldn't make a NHL roster, back again.

When you are the worst team in the league, the schedule never gets any easier.

At some point you have to stop caring who you are playing and just win.  The object is to beat everyone, no matter if they are good or bad.

I know maybe this sounds naive or stupid, but we end up playing everyone.  I fail to believe that the schedule is bad every month.  This will be the 3rd month out of 3 that it is said we have a "tough schedule".

We have been lucky on back to backs unlike other years (fewer, facing teams on  back to back on the same time as us, actually catching teams on a back to back when we are rested).  We just played a talented team on the worst streak they have probably ever had with this talent, and cured them of their ills as usual.

We played Detroit on a downswing and managed 2 victories.  So our schedule woes haven't been as bad as they are made out to be.  

At some point you just need to win.

Thank you hag. Beautifully put and exactly right. I am sooooo weary of all the rationalizing.

There are no excuses for not leaving it all out there every night, and none should be tolerated. 

You should take up a collection and and purchase Liles a participation trophy.  :sarcasm:

Seriously though, and to be fair to Liles, he's no more or less meh than most of the other losers out there.

As far as the hit on Murphy, you would expect the team to respond, which I think is the question here.  They didn't.

Edited by coastal_caniac

It's a different game than when Gleason was successfully roaming the Carolina blue line.  And that doesn't even factor in his physical decline since then.  The injuries suffered throughout the franchise (including the Chex) seem to have really put us in desperate straits.

This article does a good job in describing how roles have changed for NHL defensemen, imo.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/07/27/puck-possession-game-makes-small-fast-defensemen-most-valuable-in-NHL

Hag I'm not making excuses for the schedule. I'm just saying that even going 4-0 over the next 4 would not be enough unless the team also shows something in those wins to make Francis think they might keep at a pace above the 60% of awarded points through the month of December, and it's not like December is going to cut us a break with an easy schedule.

4-0 will still leave us short of that mark (min points % for cut line) by Tday, and we need to be at worst a few points off that pace by Jan 1 to have any chance at all.

If we go 4-0, we would end up 10-10-2 on Tday. That will likely be around 5 points off of the last spot.

Ideally we need to make at least 3 of those points up by Jan 1 on top of a .600 of points pace.

Thus, IF we go 4-0, we would still really need to post at least 8-4-2 in the 15 games from Tday to Jan 1, to find ourselves around 2 points off the cut line at New Years.

Mind you, I don't see this team doing that at this point, which is why I think Francis has his GM rolodex out already.

Edited by remkin

Whats June's draft looking like?? No McDavids or Eichels but.....anyone?

Here's what the ISS has to say about it currently - Top 30 prospects...

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/

1 MATTHEWS, Auston C 9/17/1997 L 6.01.5 194 Zurich ZSC SuiA
2 CHYCHRUN, Jakob LD 3/31/1998 L 6.02 215 Sarnia OHL
3 JONES, Max LW 2/17/1998 L 6.03 205 London OHL
4 TKACHUK, Matthew LW 12/11/1997 L 6.01.25 195 London OHL
5 PULJUJARVI, Jesse RW 5/7/1998 R 6.03 203 Karpat FinE
6 MCLEOD, Michael C 4/19/1998 R 6.02.25 188 Mississauga OHL
7 NYLANDER, Alexander C 10/15/1997 R 6.00.5 179 Mississauga OHL
8 BROWN, Logan C 6/20/1998 L 6.06 222 Windsor OHL
9 LAINE, Patrik RW 2/3/1998 R 6.04 209 Tappara FinE
10 GAUTHIER, Julien RW 3/5/1998 R 6.03.5 225 Val-d'Or QMJHL
11 DUBOIS, Pierre-Luc LW 3/2/1998 L 6.02.5 202 Cape Breton QMJHL
12 SERGACHEV, Mikhail RD 6/25/1998 L 6.02.5 206 Windsor OHL
13 FABBRO, Dante RD 6/24/1998 R 6.00.25 189 Penticton BCHL
14 JUOLEVI, Olli LD 4/14/1998 L 6.02.5 179 London OHL
15 CLAGUE, Kale LD 5/5/1998 L 5.11.75 177 Brandon WHL
16 BENSON, Tyler LW 6/5/1998 L 5.11.75 201 Vancouver WHL
17 JOST, Tyson C 3/15/1998 L 5.11 191 Penticton BCHL
18 BELLOWS, Kieffer LW 3/14/1998 L 6.00 196 NTDP USA Under-18 USHL
19 STEEL, Sam C 6/10/1998 L 5.11 177 Regina WHL
20 BEAN, Jake LD 2/3/1998 L 5.11.75 173 Calgary WHL
21 KELLER, Clayton C 7/29/1998 L 5.09.5 168 NTDP USA Under-18 USHL
22 KNIERIM, William RW 1/22/1998 R 6.02.5 207 Dubuque USHL
23 MAKINEN, Otto C 5/8/1998 L 6.00.5 178 Tappara FinJrA
24 KRYS, Chad LD 5/21/1998 L 5.11 185 NTDP USA Under-18 USHL
25 HOWDEN, Brett C 4/10/1998 L 6.02.25 193 Moose Jaw WHL
26 KUNIN, Luke RW 3/29/1998 R 5.11.75 193 Wisconsin BigTen
27 ASPLUND, Rasmus C 12/4/1997 L 5.10.5 176 Farjestad SweJE
28 ABRAMOV, Vitalii LW 12/3/1997 L 5.08.75 172 Gatineau QMJHL
29 MATTSON, Mitchell C 2/4/1998 L 6.04 186 Bloomington USHL
30 HAJEK, Libor LD 2/4/1998 L 6.02 185 Saskatoon WHL
Edited by realmdrakkar

Whats June's draft looking like?? No McDavids or Eichels but.....anyone?

Yeah, Austin Matthews.  Playing in a Swiss pro league instead of N. American juniors this season.  I don't know about a McDavid, but he may be up there with Eichel?

Edited by LakeLivin

Yeah I was trying not to go there quite yet, but Auston Mathews is the stud of the draft, but what is interesting to me is that the top 11 is loaded with big forwards.