The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

I agree I wasn't talking about the team moving. I think maybe I meant with PK we have no idea what's going on with the sale process except that he has absurd demands that make it seem like he doesn't even want to sell the team. And then why does he hire Don Waddell, the guy known for almost singlehandedly destroying an NHL franchise known as the Atlanta Thrashers, an accomplishment even Mad Mike Milbury can't claim! RF keeps preaching this wait and see mentality as if he can convince fans we can make the playoffs. Just be honest with the fact that we need to go through a rebuild. With coaching, sure the team is following well with dominating possession and getting shots, but when it comes to getting in front of the net and overall effort its like Peters is being ignored by the team so he's making his lines through some random line generator machine each night. And lastly, while it makes sense that guys like Malone, Terry, and Malone should be trash. it makes absolutely no sense that Staals, Skinner, and Lindholm should be this bad. All just a big mess.

I can't help but think a lot of this black cloud would be lifted if we had local ownership.

OR a new coach with a new system that actually worked.

It also pains me to see young that are supposed to be part of the future core struggle, namely Skinner and especially Skinner. Why are they struggling so bad? Is it disillusion and lack of effort, bad luck, a need for more guidance, or just mismanagement?

This is the key question, and here's the answer:

WHAT AILS THIS ORGANIZATION IS THE LACK OF AN ON-ICE LEADER WHO ABSOLUTELY REFUSES TO ACCEPT LOSING.

Teams with such leaders WIN. Teams without them DO NOT. 

It's not rocket science: When you've changed everything else in the organization, top to bottom, and the result on the ice is still the same, it's time to look at WHO IS LEADING THE TEAM ON THE ICE.

Donwake's point above is critical. Every day that we keep Eric around is one more day of exposing what, by any standard, is a core of potentially great young talent - Faulk, Lindy, Rask, Skinner, Murphy, Pesce, Hanifin, Nesty, Malone, Nordstrom - to a nonchalance about losing that, IMO, is at the core of this team's failure, and has been since 2011-2012.

WHAT AILS THIS ORGANIZATION IS THE LACK OF AN ON-ICE LEADER WHO ABSOLUTELY REFUSES TO ACCEPT LOSING.

Teams with such leaders WIN. Teams without them DO NOT. 

It's not rocket science: When you've changed everything else in the organization, top to bottom, and the result on the ice is still the same, it's time to look at WHO IS LEADING THE TEAM ON THE ICE.

Donwake's point above is critical. Every day that we keep Eric around is one more day of exposing what, by any standard, is a core of potentially great young talent - Faulk, Lindy, Rask, Skinner, Murphy, Pesce, Hanifin, Nesty, Malone, Nordstrom - to a nonchalance about losing that, IMO, is at the core of this team's failure, and has been since 2011-2012.

Absolutely could not agree more... Past time to change the on ice culture and find a new leader..And we all know that isnt going to be easy with a big need and a small pocket book,,,, and for whats its worth. I dont believe Faulk is the guy for the job.....

Absolutely could not agree more... Past time to change the on ice culture and find a new leader..And we all know that isnt going to be easy with a big need and a small pocket book,,,, and for whats its worth. I dont believe Faulk is the guy for the job.....

If it's done the right way - meaning the Captain emerges organically and is chosen by his teammates based on respect in the room and leadership and effort on the ice, instead of being something that is bestowed as part of a contract deal - it could be anybody on the team.

Based purely on consistency of effort and willingness to stand up for his teammates, the only guy on the team deserving of it right now (IMO) is Nathan Gerbe. But once you've addressed the root problem, which (IMO) is paying a guy $9 million a year to sound like a Captain only when he feels like it, you never know: It could be anyone.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I think a seasoned, respected, winning veteran as our next leader of the on ice team is very much needed. A change in culture. Someone who not  only can lead the team in the right direction, but someone who can teach the young guns about the ends and outs of being an NHL player.  If you look at the Captains of the past, Francis, Brind'Amour, Dineen, and to an extend Primeau were all respected veterans who knew how to lead a team.  My only issue with Primeau was he wanted to leave the team and go to a winner, a team that would bring him a Cup. :rolleyes:

Francis was a quiet, inspirational type of leader who exuded the "FOLLOW ME" into battle of personality. It didn't hurt that he also was a production dynamo on the ice.

Brind'Amour was a completely opposite type of leader from Francis. Fire and brimstone personality, who exuded the "FOLLOW ME" into battle as well.

Eric, at least to my perception, just doesn't exude that type of personality. He would have been a better player if that leadership mantle would have gone to someone else. The weight of the "C" on his chest is just too much of a responsibility and it has finally affected his natural talent that he does have on the ice. An "A" on the chest would have been a better fit.

We do have a great youth core and with correct leadership, could be a core that can carry this team for the foreseeable future.

Edited by hopper915

If it's done the right way - meaning the Captain emerges organically and is chosen by his teammates based on respect in the room and leadership and effort on the ice, instead of being something that is bestowed as part of a contract deal - it could be anybody on the team.

Based purely on consistency of effort and willingness to stand up for his teammates, the only guy on the team deserving of it right now (IMO) is Nathan Gerbe. But once you've addressed the root problem, which (IMO) is paying a guy $9 million a year to sound like a Captain only when he feels like it, you never know: It could be anyone.

You do realize that Gerbe looks like he is giving it his all every night is because he is smaller and has to use his legs a lot more to get up to full speed. I think it would be a huge mistake giving an overlooked borderline 4 liner the C.

You do realize that Gerbe looks like he is giving it his all every night is because he is smaller and has to use his legs a lot more to get up to full speed. I think it would be a huge mistake giving an overlooked borderline 4 liner the C.

Couldn't disagree more. Gerbe is hasn't lived up to his offensive potential from his earlier days, but he's the fastest guy on the team, he hits, and he's the only one who'll get into altercations with other teams. His effort cannot be denied.

Gerbe, unfortunately is struggling. He has had back injuries, and I wonder. Of course everyone is stuggling offensively, as usual, but Gerbe, a 30 point guy, has 3 points (a 13 point pace). He is now on the ice for 4th line minutes. Very hard to have your Captain barely on the ice, but he definitely has the heart and soul and grit and all of that.

But in the age old heart vs talent thing it is a spectrum on both.

Patented remkin Captaincy Selection Technique: Make a line, number 1-10 and lable talent/on ice skill-effect. Make a second line, number 1-10, and lable heart/guts/leadership. Take all of the guys 6 or better on the skill scale and lay them out. Pick the one with the highest number on the leadership scale. That's your captain.

I wonder about giving it to Versteeg to see if it might lead him to stay. Not sure what kind of deal he's looking for, and he could fetch a nice draft pick at the deadline, but he's a guy I'd like to see stay. Why? Well in this abyss of across the board forwards malaise and underperformance, he's the one guy getting his points like it never happened. I know he just broke a small slump, but he is still on a nearly 50 point pace, which is basically on pace for his best years. He is a pro. He shows up and makes things happen even when all around him is bleh.

Not sure if he's Captain material, and he may just be a rental, but just tossing it out there. At this point he almost looks too good for this team.

Edited by remkin

Your capacity for totally missing the point never ceases to amaze me, BDC. I never said Gerbe should or would be captain. But do YOU realize that he is the only guy standing up for others, skating hard every shift (and that whole length of legs things is just ridiculous, as any skating instructor will tell you). Gerbe beat Murphy in a race. That is fast by any standard.

But again, the point is: Who is working the hardest, night in, night out? Hands down, it's Gerbs.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Chip Tweeted before the game

Scouts from Blackhawks, Preds, Flyers, Rangers, Canadiens, Caps, Red Wings, Panthers and Jets due to be at Canes game

They must think we want to change something..are they crazy we just beat the KINGS. :P

Chip Tweeted before the game

Scouts from Blackhawks, Preds, Flyers, Rangers, Canadiens, Caps, Red Wings, Panthers and Jets due to be at Canes game

They must think we want to change something..are they crazy we just beat the KINGS. :P

Most of those teams will be playing either the Hurricanes or the Kings in the next week or two. There are a few (notable?) exceptions:

Caps - Play the Hurricanes twice in the end of December (12/21 and 12/31); don't play the Kings until 2/16.

Preds - Don't play any games against either team through the end of the year - they play the Hurricanes on 1/2, and the Kings on 2/20.

Red Wings - Have no more games against the Hurricanes. Their next game against the Kings is 1/11 (and they just played them two days ago, so...)

Everyone's entitled to an opinion but at least get your opinions in order. Either you believe this team doesn't have a chance in hell of winning due to the roster depth like you said all summer or you think BP sucks but at least pick one. 

OR a new coach with a new system that actually worked.

Not yet but wouldn't surprise me Terry has been disappointing.

Seeing where we waived Terry and bringing up Ryan. Anyone else seeing that?

Friend texted me, and suppose its in a twitter from Chip, as that's where he gets his info from?

Not seeing it on Chip's feed. His last tweet was last night's win.

Nope, I was wrong, it was a Michael Smith tweet!! I suppose my question is how reliable is he?

Smith the Canes' PR guy. Nothing on his twitter feed either, though, since last night. You might want to ask your friend if he's looking at a tweet from months ago, when Terry was waived previously.

Edited by top-shelf-1