The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

Gerbe isn't making the trip to Philly so if something was on tap for Terry I wonder if it got put on hold?

Lake, I've scoured MS's and Chip's and Luke's feeds, and the NHLCanes feed, going back to yesterday and see nothing about moving Terry. Also the waiver wire. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

I'm guessing my friend's info turned out wrong, sorry guys for the mis9information. Now hearing that Doug Abrams was talking about it? Another "false" direction? I for one would like to see Ryan inserted and Terry sat for a bit.

Maybe waiving Terry just seems to make so much sense, why not? I know, no Gerbe. But maybe bring up DiGuisseppe and Ryan. Terry was a long shot when he was first called up. He's a very nice player, and skilled, but has neither NHL speed or size or playmaking or sniping. Need at least one of those even if the speed and or size are 4th line, which he also is not.

Aftermath was asked and talked briefly about DiGuisseppe and others in Charlotte and said that he was probaby the most ready, but most of them down there would benefit from more AHL time. Still, I like the idea of guys bouncing back and forth some. Seems the best way to develope. I'm sure McGinn really benefited from his NHL time, and can now work on some things in the AHL to make the next time up better.

All this chatter about Terry, Ryan, Ecklund, DiGuissepe etc if true is nothing more than nibbling around the edges of non-existent core. This team has ZERO swagger. We represent a soft schedule team and no amount of calling up from Charlotte, healthy scratches etc will make a difference.  Francis needs a dramatic multi player trade to shake this team to wake up. Right now we're just brutal. 

Lindholm, Skinner look better suited for Midget AAA. Neither Staal could lead a party into a liquor store.

I have a half season 2 seat plan in Sect 123 down low seats cost about 80 something bucks each seat.  I see on Seat Geeks I can be in Sect 123 down low for $54/seat.  We stink and its Francis' problem.  Worse than in 03-04 as far as attendance goes when we were last place in the NHL. Games are not exciting at PNC anymore. Do something Ronnie.  The only metric to measure a pro by is: Did you win? Well Ronnie???

Edited by raleighcaniac

do not understand why the upcoming home game against the Oil is not a part of the 10th anniversary celebration.

Because we don't want to hurt their wittle feewings of not making the playoffs since that glorious season.

All this chatter about Terry, Ryan, Ecklund, DiGuissepe etc if true is nothing more than nibbling around the edges of non-existent core. This team has ZERO swagger. We represent a soft schedule team and no amount of calling up from Charlotte, healthy scratches etc will make a difference.  Francis needs a dramatic multi player trade to shake this team to wake up. Right now we're just brutal. 

Lindholm, Skinner look better suited for Midget AAA. Neither Staal could lead a party into a liquor store.

I have a half season 2 seat plan in Sect 123 down low seats cost about 80 something bucks each seat.  I see on Seat Geeks I can be in Sect 123 down low for $54/seat.  We stink and its Francis' problem.  Worse than in 03-04 as far as attendance goes when we were last place in the NHL. Games are not exciting at PNC anymore. Do something Ronnie.  The only metric to measure a pro by is: Did you win? Well Ronnie???

Totally disagree with zero swagger, watch more games :)

Because we don't want to hurt their wittle feewings of not making the playoffs since that glorious season.

Totally disagree with zero swagger, watch more games :)   Oil like us, are up and coming..

Ronnie is doing just fine... I cant believe some of the comments, no we arent a playoff team, but the team does NOT give up...

Greg N Ral? Is that you?

Joking, but seriously man. This team took the first two periods off last night and nearly pulled a rabbit out of the hat, thanks largely to the yutes. Not condoning the taking-periods-off part, not at all. It's the culture that has developed under our current on-ice leaders, but the good news is that it's on the way out: You'll soon get your wish for big moves. There's a clear core of youth leadership that is tired of losing. THAT is what has been lacking up to now, and good on RF and BP for bringing it forward - and on PK for getting rid of the guy that enabled that other attitude.

Nobody said this year was going to be easy, but the fact is that we've had points now in our last three straight and five of our last six. If you're looking for a light switch there isn't one; changing from a team that goes through the motions to one that performs is a process, that's why BP got three years to do it. But at least there's finally signs of it happening.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I am getting real tired of trying to find consolation in losses.

Really, just now? I've been tired of it for about four years.

But the fact is, no personnel changes of any meaning could happen until this year. We hitched our wagon - and our pocketbook - to the wrong stars, at the wrong price, for the wrong term, at the wrong time, with no mechanism for holding them accountable until it was too late. When you can't threaten a trade and your GM doesn't let the coach coach, all that's left for fans is--well, finding consolation in losses.

The good news it that the hourglass is finally running out of sand. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

We'll see. Until I see the big changes, I won't believe they are coming. I still watch, but I really don't take this team seriously anymore. Some nights, we watch for awhile, and it's on to Netflix.

Edited by caniac6

We'll see. Until I see the big changes, I won't believe they are coming. I still watch, but I really don't take this team seriously anymore. Some nights, we watch for awhile, and it's on to Netflix.

I feel ya, believe me. Mrs. Top last night said, "I feel awful that I just don't care anymore. How do you do it?" 

"I just think about how much worse it is in the summer, when there's no hockey at all," I replied.

Every Hurricanes fans has every right to be frustrated. This org held out hope for far too long that JR could catch lighting in a bottle twice, when the money simply was not there to allow. He inked contracts while still Cup-drunk for big pieces which his (impaired) vision and (addled) brain told him could get us there again, if the right role players were brought in. It actually might have worked, but for one thing he didn't think about: Big contracts for "franchise players" like the ones he gave E and Cam (and like others gave Crosby and Ovi and Lecavalier) drove up the price for the role players, too, and those possessing the skill sets needed to duplicate a team like the '06 one became unaffordable to a team in a small market.

Now we're committed to building thru the draft, to not offering NTCs, and to keeping contracts more reasonable. It's been a hard lesson, and the fallout has been hard for us fans to watch. But with those two big contracts expiring, an energized core of youthful players, and a manager and coach with the same philosophy about earning rosters spots and ice time night in and night out, we're headed in the right direction.

Edited by top-shelf-1

At the beginning of the year I made my own predictions - simply based on the results of the past ten years and using linear regression analysis. The predictions for 2015-2016 were: points 69; goals for 184; goals against 235. Based on the first 21 games, the projections for the complete season are: points 70; goals for 164; goals against 238. Thus, it is no surprise we are where we are. There has been a linear and predictable decrease in offensive production over a decade - with little chance that it will increase with the current roster.

I'm hoping Francis has evaluated and knows what he would like to do regarding trades. I'm also hoping he won't be swayed by any kind of winning streak and sticks to the game plan, whatever that is. We might not see a trade at the arbitrary date of Thanksgiving but the effort should be to accomplish the pruning of the troops between now and trade deadline.

I expect we will begin  to see a lot of new faces before the end of the season. Individually I like a lot of our players and appreciate their skill but as a team  we seem stuck in a rut between the old and new. I think it is time to make the tough decision; send some vets packing, accumulate draft picks and young prospects and get on with it. Our defense is promising and now its time to address our forward lines.

I feel this season all comes down to what happens with Eric so fans can know what to expect for the future.

My hope is we finding a dance partner who is willing to swap Eric for another player who needs a scenery change whose also willing to stay.

If Eric goes for picks and prospects or just simply goes for nothing I have the worst feeling this rebuild could take 3+ more years.

I think UFA even with a pocket full of cash will be disappointing, I know I wouldn't want to come into this mess.

New to the board. Commenting on games not being exciting in PNC anymore and following it up with the name Ronnie made me think about Ron the Ref. Am I the only one who thinks this new host is killing the in game experience? Winning is the ultimate crowd grabber but I think the ingame presentation continues to take steps in the wrong direction.

Been a while since I chimed in but I figured I'd give it a go. Am I optimistic for the season? Not really, if that were to mean playoffs. Am I optimistic for the future of the team, absolutely and here's why:

1. You build from the crease out...ask Edmonton how the splashy offensive picks have gone

Lack is finding his game and if he can be like he was last night with some consistency, we have a legit #1 who is 28 years old going forward. On D, are you kidding me? Hannafin, Pesce, Faulk, Slavin, Fleury, Murphy all legit NHLers and the oldest one is 23. We're good.

Draft picks

We have 12 in the first 4 rounds over the next 2 years...that's pretty darn good. 2 in the first, one in the 2d and 2 in the 3rd next year.

Let's say E and Ward get traded...we'll get at least one more 1st round pick out of that. We could also get something decent for Versteeg as well if we want.

Cap Space

Likes, Ward and E all off the books...there are others as well but that's the big 3 in terms of contracts (almost 20 mil between the three).

In all we have the blue line covered with goaltending and loads of crazy young talent, a boatload of draft picks and likely 20 mil+ of cap space going into next year to add some scoring. If that's not good, I must be directionally impaired.

New to the board. Commenting on games not being exciting in PNC anymore and following it up with the name Ronnie made me think about Ron the Ref. Am I the only one who thinks this new host is killing the in game experience? Winning is the ultimate crowd grabber but I think the ingame presentation continues to take steps in the wrong direction.

Honestly?  Having been to 15/30 NHL venues (16 this Saturday, I'm flying back stateside to Florida tomorrow...knocking off Tampa), Ron the Ref was, hands-down, the best in-game promoter in the league.  I'm still scratching my head on why they let him go.

Overall great discussion sparked by this game.

This game was a microcosm for this team. Absolutely looked typical the first 2 periods. It should be noted, by those skeptical of Lack that he held us in this game where we had no business not being blown out. The PP is the worst of all, it is a pure embarassment. Those first two periods left me actually rooting against the team. I was thinking, "just get blown out already, force the chance, clarify things". Then they got a goal and found their legs, and all of the sudden they're back in it. Then they lose.

As is a common theme now, if this game were taken in isolation, overall you shake your head, but end up smiling at picking up a point on the road, back to back, where you were blown out for 2 periods. (I was going to say this is what other teams do to us, but they get the win in OT, so not quite. But this game is not in isolation).

To Law-Dawg's point, we are good from the back out. (BTW we have a very good goalie prospect in Nedlejovic (no time to look up spelling).

Now we must find forwards. If we move E. we must draft a 1C high up, and find some high skilled, speedy forwards. That will be the name of the game. Agree w/ Legend, as I've posted many times, whatever happens, we must get something for E, or the rebuild will take much longer.

Anyway, while this comeback was nice, the overall arch remains the same and very soon we better start feeling the winds of change.

But the fact is this game is NOT in isolation. It is another piece in a forming jigsaw puzzle that is almost finished, and clearly shows the words, "change is needed".  In the big picture things are at a point where we NEED to get the final point and win the OT. We've lost the last couple of OT's and that makes a difference for a team that is trying to dig out of a hole.

But mainly this is a team, coming off a big win vs. a very good LA team that needed to build on that to show they had the right stuff, but instead came out and let an even worse team push them around for two periods. Again, if it weren't for Lack it would have been 4-0 and I'm pretty sure we would have mailed it in after that.

Is this "comeback" a sign of things to come? Not if history is a guide. All of our bad teams have had moments where they looked pretty good for flashes. We are not an AHL team. There is ability here. But not enough of it.

That's the negative.

The positive: Eddie Lack played well, and we are building a defense that will be the best we've ever had. Pesce is rock solid at 21. 6'3". Imagine how good he'll be next year and beyond. Slavin, so far, is holding his own too 6'2" 205. Murphy has played this year paired with an 18 y/o, yet is #2 on the team in plus minus and starting to show some offense. Hanifin oozes skill and is freaking 18. BTW he is showing flashes of offensive ability. Fleury is a big kid who can skate and is putting up offense in Juniors. He'll be here next year, a year younger than Pesce is now. Even McKeown is showing some good stuff this year.

Welcome to the board. It is always good to have new members join in the discussion. Winning will go a long way to make everything else more attractive at the PNC arena. But over the last few seasons I have also noticed a difference in what once was fun experience in spite of results.