The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

I think Lack gets the start Tuesday.  If we hadn't just signed him to the extension I think Tuesdays starter might be questionable.  But the Canes have committed to Lack for the next 3 years; Ward is still up in the air.

Edited by LakeLivin

HEEEEEYYYYY!!! It's "Mr. Sunshine"!! Get it right or pay the price!! :lol:

I'm convinced that BD comes here and posts this stuff mostly to get a rise out of us. There's a word for such behavior on every other board on the Internet--but I don't think that word applies to BD. I think he's really unhappy with the Canes' performance, and who can blame him? The only thing I don't understand is why he blames coaches when we're on our fourth since the Cup win, and in that same period, the one constant in terms of skaters has been our Captain.

Now before somebody jumps in here and says I'm hating on Eric, let me be clear: It's not Eric I hate. Yes, I'm disappointed in his play and believe it's not on par with the contract we gave him, and I know I've made that clear plenty. BUT, it's the contract WE GAVE him that instantly and severely limited the team's ability to "buy" a roster. That, in turn (largely) put us into a cycle of making do with what we had and hoping for the best.

I believe that, painful as that has been for we fans to watch in the meantime, we're (finally) on the way out of that cycle. We are done thinking we can buy rosters and we're working hard to develop our picks instead. That can only be a good thing in the long run, and I have to agree with AWAC. Jumping on the only coach who has brought what looks and sounds (and quacks) like discipline and determination (check out Eric's post-game quotes) to the locker room, just two very close games into the season - and when it wasn't HIM who couldn't score 5-on-3 - is not only premature, it is meant to provoke a response here. 

So, Mr. Sunshine, mission accomplished. But there's two sides to that: I herewith second Legend's request for further info. I've just been named GM for a day, and I've named you coach. What would you do differently to better utilize our forwards?

I think a lot of you live in some sort of fantasy world.  Allow me to provide a dose of realty.  Last year Skinner, Staal, Semin, and maybe even Jordan Staal (barring the injury) had career lows in point totals that haven't been seen since their rookie years.  One player is not to blame for this.  The system is to blame.  Low and behold Semin and Tlusty are now lighting it up.  The worst part is Tlusty was signed for like 850K.  I am sick and tired of year after year it's the same old story.  This year it's if Rask and Lindy can do x y  and z we might make the playoofs.  For the past 6 years I have heard the if this and if that and it leads to the same result.  Missing the playoffs on a consistent basis.

With that being said, I can now confidently say that this team would have been better of with not acquiring Jordan Staal and holding on Brandon Sutter.  I'm starting to realize that this Staal era is a complete joke.  Maybe Ronnie and Brindy just set the bar too high for us as fans when we had them as a 1-2 center combo...

Edited by bluedevil58

BD, although I understand the frustration, not a big fan of call-out the board posts. 

Sometimes it's better to just keep your opinions to yourself than to prove to everyone......well, anyway.  Most of you understand where that's going.

On Lack, I'm ready, and it's my opinion he gets the start on Tuesday, as Ward has really done nothing to prove he's the number one.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Holding Tlusty or Semin, each with 2 points, as the paragon of efficiency after two games is a bit premature.

Semin is too slow for today's game, and he seems to do a lot of standing around (which is really slow).  Mis-used...maybe, but the player has some responsibility to at least try, and I didn't see that from Semin. Tlusty is a good player, and I wouldn't have minded seeing him back.  I don't think he is the difference in this team being in contention though.  Let them get to about the 10 game point before we start paying too much attention to who has scored more than who.  Small sample size is in effect.

Edited by super_dave_1

Regardless of who is at fault, the Canes still haven't won in October under the current GM-Coach combo.

That's going to change Tuesday night.  B)

Lack vs. Luongo is going to turn this thing.

Taco Tuesday, everyone prepare.  I'm going with fish tacos myself. 

Hmm....might be a good GDT theme. :letssee:

Edited by coastal_caniac

Much as I"m tempted to be drawn into this "sewing bee" round of discussions over players who have left and performed better elsewhere, cropping up in record time this season, I'd much rather hear, if anyone knows, what injuries seemed to befall us Sat night. Ergo, heard on Aftermath on way home that both Nash and Rask may have had some type of problem? Anyone know?

Also, seems Biega was sent down, yet I've seen no official word, but assume Jordan is in it for the long haul?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Faulk has 2pts btw.

Anyways, Eric, Jordan, Tlusty, and Semin's numbers were on the decline prior to the arrival of Peters. But that's how it's gone here in Carolina since the last playoff appearance. There's always a year where one or two of our top guys underachieve, last year it just so happened to be all of them, but then you have guys like Lindholm and Rask who showed increase in production. The one consistent thing about this team is they're inconsistent, so I'm not ready to give up on the offense yet.

I hope so! Mahi tacos are a big hit at our house.

I get the negativity, (though it is perhaps just a bit too much too soon). Still, I do get it. Because it is this team. The one that did this all of last year: possess the puck, take a lot of shots, limit shots again, and lose. Over and over. It is this team that went 0-8 last year and dropped out of the playoffs before you could say "where's Semin"?

As the famous quote by Herm Edwards: "You play to win the game.". And while puck possesion and shots on goal and shots limited are important, in the end you have to score the puck and stop the goal in you're own end. Then you win the game.

Hockey is a great game, but it is one of the most frustrating in that one team can realy carry the play, even dominate, and lose, sometimes decisively. But we have seen this play before. Yet another back up goalie buffing their save percentage against a barrage of shots on the crest from the wide wing. 

We seem to be the poster team for why possesion and shots do not mean wins. If you really want to find a stat it is quality scoring chances x finish/ goalie play. Not possesion. Possesion is important in that it can lead to quality scoring chances, but possesion without quality scoring chances leads to lottery picks. See last year.

Where I part from BD's sentiment it that it is too soon to throw in the towel. Seems odd to say after two games, but again, after last year, I get it. I do. Fact is, my towel is right here beside me, but not yet. We don't know for sure that some combo of Skinner, J, E, Versteeg, Lindholm and Rask won't start converting some of this possesion into chances. We don't know for sure that the defensive game won't tighten up or that Cam won't or Lack.

This team really could have used a 2-0 start. Would have gotten monkey's off backs. But it is not too late. A couple of nice wins now is really needed.

I agree w/ Kjun though. If Rask and Nash are out....dang. Hope not.

While way to soon to throw in the towel, no way am I going out on a limb for them again until they start wining the game. Better start soon.

Edited by remkin

Much as I"m tempted to be drawn into this "sewing bee" round of discussions over players who have left and performed better elsewhere, cropping up in record time this season, I'd much rather hear, if anyone knows, what injuries seemed to befall us Sat night. Ergo, heard on Aftermath on way home that both Nash and Rask may have had some type of problem? Anyone know?

Also, seems Biega was sent down, yet I've seen no official word, but assume Jordan is in it for the long haul?

KJUN, Nash left in the second, and Rask left late in the game.  I haven't heard any updates on either, other than the usual upper body-lower body stuff that's the norm.  Both skated off the ice fine, both went down the tunnel and didn't return.

Peters made a comment on Friday that Jordan would be in the lineup for the "foreseeable future".  He's playing his off-side but looked okay to me on Saturday, although he wasn't called upon to do a whole lot.

I would just like to see us get lucky! It seems we are thin on talent, but it also seem like we are the poster child for Murphy's Law. For the most part, there usually seems to be a decent effort, but we just never get any breaks. I know we can't rely on luck to get us through a season, but a few good bounces might give some of the young guys a bit of confidence, and that could help turn this around faster.

I would just like to see us get lucky! It seems we are thin on talent, but it also seem like we are the poster child for Murphy's Law. For the most part, there usually seems to be a decent effort, but we just never get any breaks. I know we can't rely on luck to get us through a season, but a few good bounces might give some of the young guys a bit of confidence, and that could help turn this around faster.

From my "eagle's perch" vantage point in 335, I can't remember how many times a 3" diameter chunk of vulcanized rubber bounced off of the WRONG side of a 2 3/8" diameter goal post. My fancy new Canes toque got stretched quite a bit from my frustration. My old hobby was short-track stock car racing and I won a few races because of what many consider to be lucky breaks. The key was being in position to benefit from said breaks. If the team continues to put forth the effort I saw last night, the breaks will come. Hopefully sooner than later as to not damage the team psyche.

I think Lack will see time between the pipes next weekend, which game, who knows.

Just to change things up a little. The MIGHTY JR led Pittsburgh Penguins are 0-2 and have scored only ONE goal (They were shut out by the Dallas Stars and Kessel got the lone goal last night in Arizona)

Their fans are probably ready to hang someone!

Just to say that the B's are in the same boat as them...and my Dad's not too happy right now. 

My $$ is that Julien is the first coach fired.

"Bromance and Taco Night"

From Chip ...

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 30m30 minutes ago

Nash not at practice

With Nash out, Lindholm at center with Skinner, Terry; Rask centers EStaal, Versteeg; JStaal w/Gerbe, Nordstrom; McClement w/Malone, Nesty.

Rask showing no effects from awkward fall in final minute against Red Wings, when skidded off skate blade. Had 24:50 TOI, career high.

Well very good that Rask is there at least. I hope Nash isn't out for long, but Rask is more critical.

Looks like Peters is pretty intent on keeping E on the wing trying Lindholm at center even with Nash out.

Looks lik Malone gets in. I do think Nesty deserves the move up into the top 9.

I was also wondering about Ryan, especially if Nash is out for more that a few games, which I have no idea about. Though it does seem like Peters is putting a premium on NHL game experience at this point, which would argue against Ryan.

Edited by remkin

Not a fan of the line combos.

Lindholm and Rask separated.

Lindholm flanked by two of our smallest, softest, least defensively responsible players. Again, not sure this is the best thing for a developing 20 year-old player, but he gets a chance at center. Hopefully the added responsibility pushes him.

I also think Nestrasil has looked good generating some offense and he should be bumped up from the fourth line. I like Nordstrom so far, but I prefer him as a fourth liner and penalty-killer.

I would have just kept the lines the same and had Nestrasil in Nash's place and inserted Malone on the fourth.

I hope the constant line-juggling isn't a theme again this year, I'm still a believer that lines need some continuity and a chance to develop.

Then again, what do I know......

Im 100% in the corner of setting your lines and giving enough time to see if they gel. On the other side of things, none of the combinations have really worked in my opinion, seems there is a constant struggle to get the puck in position to take a decent shot..

as stated before: "Then again what do I know.."  

Looking at the state of the team after the first 2 games, it truly shows what a difference you see between what you visualize during the offseason, and the reality once the season hits.

We are literally 2 games in, and Wiz is gone, the lines are all over the place.

It always makes me laugh when people post the "probable lines" in offseason discussion in August.  There is an offseason contest for you.  Next season, deadline of August 31st, have someone predict the lines for Game #5.

Whoever has the closest lines wins the prize.  Anyone who gets it exactly right wins "King of the Board" for life, a coveted title which will never be given out.

As far as my assessment of the team goes, I always go for my 15 game moratorium before any serious commentary but so far I think we look improved and are still losing.  My frustration fuse seems to be at an all-time short length too, I think we need a decent winning streak to cure everyone's frustration/ill-will.