The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

Sadly coastal, I concur. Wonder if this is setting in motion the trade of both brothers? I realize that it likely would be an impossible feat, but both to a single team would be "huge". Oh well, it"ll never happen.

Wonder too if this is an expression, consciously or subconsciously, of one brother's displeasure of his older sibling"s perceived "maltreatment". Just have to see how all this plays out, I guess?

Sadly coastal, I concur. Wonder if this is setting in motion the trade of both brothers? I realize that it likely would be an impossible feat, but both to a single team would be "huge". Oh well, it"ll never happen.

Wonder too if this is an expression, consciously or subconsciously, of one brother's displeasure of his older sibling"s perceived "maltreatment". Just have to see how all this plays out, I guess?

Or little brother's.  Don't forget him, in the org.

If so, this is all ridiculous. 

This is all conjecture though.  Who knows.

From Saturday -- Nash goes down early in the first --

Jordan Staal

15:03 TOI including 0:49 on the PP; 0.16 on PK

Victor Rask

24:50 TOI including 5:22 on the PP; 0.10 on PK

On Thursday Jordan had around 14 minutes, Rask around 17.

That's the trend over two games I'm seeing. And hopefully it's obvious I'm focusing on the center position only.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Or little brother's.  Don't forget him, in the org.

If so, this is all ridiculous. 

This is all conjecture though.  Who knows.

IF you're speaking of Jared, he is no longer in the organization. Checkers released him from his PTO before their pre-season started. Though he is now playing with the Everblades.

Perhaps Jordan is tired of playing under other peoples' shadows? (First Sid and Malkin; now Eric)

Edited by hopper915

Just to say that the B's are in the same boat as them...and my Dad's not too happy right now. 

My $$ is that Julien is the first coach fired.

If the Pens keep playing like they're doing, it will be Johnston.

So the pitchforks are out on the Staal brothers. Is this what I am reading right now? "Can Jordan Staal propel his play and leads the Canes in offense?" That commercial is a joke. The answer is obviously no.

Edited by bluedevil58

Too bad it won't be Taco and Lu. 

We're finding out early if Rask can handle big minutes. I like it.

As for all the Staal Brothers conjecture, I'd be real surprised if what's going on in terms of TOI has anything to do with some off-ice soap opera. Peters just wants the PP to work because wins come easier and more often if it does.

It's important to remember that Rask is often the point on the PP. IMO, as nice as it is to have his shot and skill there, I'd rather see him in the slot. With a man advantage we have to be able to count on our D to hold the zone, with the objective being to get the puck to Faulk on the first unit and to Hanifin on the second so they either shoot or open up the ice down low by drawing out a defender, and feed to an open man down low. Regardless, the objective needs to be quick puck movement that opens lanes for putting pucks on the net, then counting on our big men to either finish in front, or cause enough chaos there that someone else can score. Plant Rask in the slot on the first unit and Jordan there on the second, and if they stray from the slot, it's suicides all next practice.

Keeping the guy with the best hands on the team 60 feet from the net on the PP just doesn't add up to me. We've got two young studs on D with big shots, and two old hands to boot. If they can't hold the zone with a man advantage, they're in the wrong league. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

You can't put a 2nd year center on the first line and play first line minutes.  It's a recipe for disaster and we will get wrecked down the middle on a nightly basis.  Can you imagine a Crosby vs Rask match up?  It just sounds awful.

You can't put a 2nd year center on the first line and play first line minutes.  It's a recipe for disaster and we will get wrecked down the middle on a nightly basis.  Can you imagine a Crosby vs Rask match up?  It just sounds awful.

You can, we did, and he did. And we generated three times the offense that we did in Nashville.

So there's that.

Oh, and he won 69 percent of his face-offs. No too shabby :)

Edited by top-shelf-1

I will counter your argument and state that we played a Detroit team that just came off a back to back game.  Just like we are doign with FLA tonight.  So one must also take that into consideration.

I will counter your argument and state that we played a Detroit team that just came off a back to back game.  Just like we are doign with FLA tonight.  So one must also take that into consideration.

Midway thru the season I'd agree. At the beginning not so much. But regardless, we clearly see Rask thru different eyes. You see him as a second-year player, I see him as Team Sweden's third-line center - and if he's all-Sweden, I'm willing to at least find out if he can't be all-Carolina. He's 22, the perfect age to rachet up his minutes and see if he can handle it.

It's not like we have anything to lose.

Edited by top-shelf-1

You can, we did, and he did. And we generated three times the offense that we did in Nashville.

So there's that.

Oh, and he won 69 percent of his face-offs. No too shabby :)

Exactly.

And Rask scored against the Wings, and he also beat Weber at the net against Nashville, to setup the only goal in that game.

Give the kid a chance to see if he can handle it.  So far, not too shabby.

IMO, he's a better offensive alternative to Jordan Staal.

Edited by coastal_caniac

When watching a game its difficult not to zoom in on a guy you like more so than ones you dont..so perhaps opinions get one sided... nonetheless. imo.. Rask is worthy of first line duties and is well on his way to becoming a great player....(side note)..The Brandon for J. has been a major bust and if there is one deal that could be reversed this would be the one imo... btw what are we paying a year for two staals & a cam???

When we traded for J Staal, he was a very good third line center on a very good, talented team. Just calling him a first or second line center doesn't make him one. He still has the offensive skills of a third line center. Unfortunately, he is getting paid like a first or second liner.

I hated giving up Sutter in the trade. I didn't mind picking up J even at that money but I remember shaking my head at the length of the contract. I still do.

We are better with him than without him but I sure wish he would break out.

At least Rask is playing like he has purpose and wants to win.  I have yet to figure out what the Staals are doing or anyone else on offense so far as that goes.  It appears in the 2 games that I have watched, the defensemen have put more shots on goal than the forwards by a pretty good margin.  Thats great, but if the forward group doesn't come around we are going to continue down this long bumpy road

I hated giving up Sutter in the trade. I didn't mind picking up J even at that money but I remember shaking my head at the length of the contract. I still do.

We are better with him than without him but I sure wish he would break out.

In hindsight he is playing with Gerbe and Nordstrom.  This isn't exactly a forward group that can light the lamp on a nightly basis so there is that to look at too.

At least Rask is playing like he has purpose and wants to win.  I have yet to figure out what the Staals are doing or anyone else on offense so far as that goes.  It appears in the 2 games that I have watched, the defensemen have put more shots on goal than the forwards by a pretty good margin.  Thats great, but if the forward group doesn't come around we are going to continue down this long bumpy road

You won't get an argument from me. It has become quite obvious we want an active blue-line and one that can generate offensive chances but if you don't have the forwards to finish off the chances and generate offense on their own it will be a long season.

It is still early and I hope the lines begin to click.

The problem we face with this team down the middle is we have a bunch of natural centers, but none of them are elite enough to play top line minutes and be effective.  If we were to gain another #1, maybe even a #2 center, it would take a lot of pressure off Jordan.  He had to play on the top line in Pittsburgh for a significant amount of games when Crosby and Malkin were injured, and still led the team to the playoffs and put up 50pts in the process.  Also, he put up good numbers with linemates that were inferior to most of the one's he has played with here, so maybe it's the style of play we have.  I don't know, but hopefully he turns it around.  I'm not ready to give up on him after 2 games though.