The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

Jordan's always been a better defensive center, what's the big deal? 

His ice time is reduced from what it was last season, and during the preseason.  In two games.

Lot's of hockey to play, but if Rask can handle more ice time, wouldn't now be the time to find out?  It wasn't like Jordan was lighting it up with his brother.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Jordan's always been a better defensive center, what's the big deal?

His ice time is reduced from what it was last season, and during the preseason. In two games.

Lot's of hockey to play, but if Rask can handle more ice time, wouldn't now be the time to find out? It wasn't like Jordan was lighting it up with his brother.

Am I hearing this correctly? A center who makes 6m a year better put up at least 60 points a season minimum.

IMO it's way too early after 2 games to draw any conclusion about Ice Time or outcomes (or Semin, or Tlusty, etc.).  Jordan is pretty much a known quantity and I don't think his play is diminishing (though he was not good vs Detroit).

Terrific that we have Rask's upside, and that will be fun to watch.  Now if our former No 1 center actually filled that role we'd be in a position of strength down the middle.  Hope this doesn't get the E. Staal bashers going for another round (yet).

Bummer, cuz, Pens, Rangers, Caps...lose...    If misery loves company, i think Columbus might be winless, and pens  0-3, and   i love Boston being 0-3... BUT,  i dont know what to say, this 7 games on road will make or break us, we wont  be favored in any of these games... After 3 games, some real  soul searching, and Peters will  turn it around., probaly not this year..

Edited by dinz

Am I hearing this correctly? A center who makes 6m a year better put up at least 60 points a season minimum.

That's the player that JR traded for when he got JStaal. He was never an offensive juggernaut. I agree that a forward making that much should be more of an offensive threat, but JR traded for a defensive center.

If BP is looking for: all out effort/net front presence/accountability and so on, I just dont think E.Staal is the guy.. Would have been nice to see the team Captain show some leadership last night.. Its past time for a change in the C.  and perhaps past time for a fulll blown yard sale rebuild.. (hey will you take a dollar for it???)

Anyone else think we are about to get screwed by Eric not waiving his NTC, riding out his contract, and leaving via Free Agency? Why do I feel that this is the most likely scenario?

Anyone else think we are about to get screwed by Eric not waiving his NTC, riding out his contract, and leaving via Free Agency? Why do I feel that this is the most likely scenario?

I don't think we're about to get screwed. I think we've been getting screwed by Eric's deal since the 09-10 season. (And Eric defenders please note, I am saying [yet again]: THE DEAL, not the player.)

If we'd been paying Eric Staal $5 million for the past 10 years and had not saddled ourselves by throwing in the Captaincy and the NTC (thereby giving us the freedom to find the on-ice leader(s) we've so sorely needed) I think we'd view his tenure and contributions here very differently. But for better or worse, that deal made him the man. He was always going to tied to the Canes' success or failure - and frankly, that is perfectly reasonable when you're making that kind of bank.

What is unreasonable was doing the deal in the first place, and it will go down, among JR's many boneheaded moves, as his worst. Hands down. No questions asked.

Edited by top-shelf-1

That scenario wouldn't bother me one bit. At least it would free up $'s for the future.

I'm just hoping the reason there was no post-game with Eric was b/c Peters was too busy ripping him a new one.

I wouldn't doubt that E has multiple new ones. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to do much good. I don't see any progress. There has to be some disconnect somewhere. E doesn't talk much, but, counting Mo twice, Peters is the fifth coach since E's rookie year. His name doesn't come up when fans talk about "coach killers", but, mabye it should. I don't see much to be encouraged about. I really don't see playoffs any time soon. I don't think the big changes have begun,yet.

As easy as it is to Blame E. for last night, did anyone see him receive a pass anywhere close to  the net or any kind of pretty scoring play set up on the attack?  I can't recall seeing anyone receive  a nice pass near the net besides Lindholm and that was pretty far out.  All E. could do was try to power skate it in and take an off angle shot from the circle.  Last night was a team problem, not an individual problem in my eyes.  Home opener was a great team effort but an individual problem finishing.   I can't give up on any single player yet, but this has got to come together soon and the big boys got to step it up(year 3 saying the same thing, when will I accept we need to trade half the team and start over, I dunno man).

Edited by danimal-ch1

So,I have always considered myself "The Eternal Optimist", more so than even rem, but at this point, even if it is just 3 games into the season, it is hard for me to ignore the real possibility, particularly after seeing the palpable complacency of this team on full display last night, to think that we won't witness a worse Ofer in October than we suffered thru last year.

Sadly too, Bill Peters response was déjà vu to Mueller's back during his brief tenure. How, I ask, How, I ask, with so much at stake, so early in the season, and with a fan base teetering on non-existence, is it possible to play so lisslestly?

To my eyes, Jordan now has assumed Semin's role, as the new enigma. Eric still is showing his perennial "late starter" tendency, although he did do several things well. Both eschew their usual mantra of "we've got to do better" yet this fails to translate into on ice performance? What gives?

I've read in several posts, that some are taking solace in our lackadaisical season start by pointing out the we have good company among others of known prowess as Pittsburg, Boston, Columbus and the like, but I respond to them that we are 6yrs and counting in the depth of our despair. It's easier to see the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel" when you know the tunnel length is finite.

As easy as it is to Blame E. for last night, did anyone see him receive a pass anywhere close to  the net or any kind of pretty scoring play set up on the attack?  I can't recall seeing anyone receive  a nice pass near the net besides Lindholm and that was pretty far out.  All E. could do was try to power skate it in and take an off angle shot from the circle.  Last night was a team problem, not an individual problem in my eyes.  Home opener was a great team effort but an individual problem finishing.   I can't give up on any single player yet, but this has got to come together soon and the big boys got to step it up(year 3 saying the same thing, when will I accept we need to trade half the team and start over, I dunno man).

To follow up with your post, from the view from 108, our players were mishandling pucks the entire game rather it was in our zone, their zone, or transition.  Also, judging by the slow pace Carolina played with, you'd have thought we were the team that played the night before.

I will follow up with a couple positives (Lord forbid we talk about this):

Lindholm has looked very good this year.  He's very assertive defensively, and although offensively he's not as aggressive as I like, he has shown improvement.  Maybe he should step up and be the one to park out in front of the net.

Faulk has looked very very good this year.  He's been solid defensively.  Always in position, makes the right plays.  So far, he's scored in every game.

Gerbe has been solid.  He's always makes the most of his shift, very physical, skates really hard all the time.  Probably our toughest player.  I think he should be the captain of the team.

I feel bad for Ron Hainsey.  I really do.  He's not a top-pairing guy, and it's obvious he (and Faulk's plus-minus) is paying for it. 

I felt bad for Jordan last night.  It appears he can't perform on his off side, so he gets a break. I mean, he really struggled.  I'm anxious to see the replay of the game and see if that was mentioned in the telecast.

Bugsy Malone makes things happen.  He has no skill.  Great example of a guy helping the team on work ethic alone. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

I believe in Coach Peter's dream of being a better team but with the players we have, not going to happen. E.Staal asking for $9mil per year? Get real! You may be worth $3.5 if you were on the 3rd line! J.Staal cannot seem to find where he's suppose to be either.

Being a coach of a bunch of millionaires has to be hard but let's sit some of them and bring up some grit, if we have it, from the AHL. Take his 'C' away and give it to a more active player that gives 110% every shift. Take away the 'A' that was handed to him on a platter without having to earn it here. If I was Peter's, these guys would be sore after practice from just getting off the bench to back on it.

Hanifin is looking good just to be 18 and Faulk deserves his 'A', but when I see a really bad pass, and I mean to an area where this is only opposing players, I wonder why we are just slinging the puck around.

Come on Canes, earn your paychecks!!! Act and play like professionals that you are suppose to be!

(IMHO, of course!)   :rolleyes:

Would anyone object to having 3 A's at this point instead of a C and 2 A's?  Faulk, Skinner and...

and... how about the puck?

Always on the ice. Attach a little headset to relay what the officials are saying. As good as any Captain we've had for at least five years.

Edited by winger52

Id place a vote for 3 A's.. or give the C to Gerbs, the guy plays with more grit than the rest combined... 3 games in or not, I see thing as a continuation of where it left off last season and little improvement...