The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

Interesting interview. His honesty on the Lindholm thing was good to hear. Peters said that he'd probably soon need to move back to center ice. Is that telling on the EStaal front? BP was positive about EStaal, but I sense a disturbance in The Force.

Interesting interview. His honesty on the Lindholm thing was good to hear. Peters said that he'd probably soon need to move back to center ice. Is that telling on the EStaal front? BP was positive about EStaal, but I sense a disturbance in The Force.

I think Lindholm is better suited for the center position. Just needed more strength. Good play making skills. Could be a hint on the E situation if he felt he needed to make the move soon.

I liked the bit about line change practice being a secret bag skate.   :)

I liked that bit as well. If anyone doesn't think this coach is head and shoulders above any of our previous coaches they just need to listen to this broadcast a few times. Brilliant hockey mind.

And now Cam has a concussion...right on time for his annual visit to the IR.

Two questions:

1. What the hell did Cam do to get concussed?

2. Why are we just now finding out about it, should it be game/practice related?

And now Cam has a concussion...right on time for his annual visit to the IR.

Two questions:

1. What the hell did Cam do to get concussed?

2. Why are we just now finding out about it, should it be game/practice related?

It must have been that slap shot he took off his mask the other night that knock his mask off.

Symptoms may have taken a while to show up.

Edited by hopper915

It must have been that slap shot he took off his mask the other night that knock his mask off.

Symptoms may have taken a while to show up.

That was the first thing that came to my mind when the Ward news broke. Hoping Ward gets back soon. In the meantime do we get to see Altshuller play one before the All-Star break or does he just get to sit and watch.

Wasn't that shot to the mask fairly early in the game? I don't remember....

I have been posting Altshuller's rise since he took off in Florida. He has dominated ECHL, and AHL, might as well see if he can do it in NHL. The other advantages are these:

1. If Altshller is for real we can potentially move Cam at the deadline easier (or hold out for a hard bargain on a low number and no NTC).

2. There is a history of fairly unknown hot goalies coming in and going on crazy runs about this time of year. Never know..

It will be mildly interesting to see if the Checkers come back to Earth without their star goalie. Not hoping for it, just wondering.

Edited by remkin

Wasn't that shot to the mask fairly early in the game? I don't remember....

I have been posting Altshuller's rise since he took off in Florida. He has dominated ECHL, and AHL, might as well see if he can do it in NHL. The other advantages are these:

1. If Altshller is for real we can potentially move Cam at the deadline easier.

2. There is a history of fairly unknown hot goalies coming in and going on crazy runs about this time of year. Never know..

It will be mildly interesting to see if the Checkers come back to Earth without their star goalie. Not hoping for it, just wondering.

It does put things into a quandary. IF Altshuller gets hot here, even when Cam comes off IR, does he stay and risk the Checkers season, which has been white hot and have a realistic chance of making the playoffs only 3 points out of 1st in their division and Western Conference.

Edited by hopper915

It does put things into a quandary. IF Altshuller gets hot here, even when Cam comes off IR, does he stay and risk the Checkers season, which has been white hot and have a realistic chance of making the playoffs only 3 points out of 1st in their division and Western Conference.

It's 100% about the big team. But it would depend on a few factors. Are we in the race? How good has Alshuller been? What would Cam sign for? What are the offers on Cam?

Three goalies is rarely a model for success but could be done for short period (until Cam is either traded or signed, or Lack is traded, or playoffs become clearer).

If we are out of the playoffs, and Cam wants too much, we could move him and keep Alt and Lack. So many options...

Bad news for the canes playoff push unless Altsuller handles business.  Cam is our number one and has been a rock since December.  Time for Lack to find some consistency or Altshuller to take over the reigns for a while. 

Im def looking forward to seeing Altshuller play, with the numbers he's been putting up it's going to be interesting to see if he can bring that to he NHL. 

So, Cam gets concussed on Kessel's shot off the mask and then he goes on to play in Vancouver?  Seems strange that concussion protocol missed this, but I understand that the symptoms are hard to predict, but just seems kind of strange to me.

If Altshuller's bar is Cam Ward, then his bar doesn't have to be set any higher than .900, because that's the body of work we've gotten from the guy.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Yeah, I'm wondering if any of Cam's less than stellar last two starts could be legitimately attributed to this. He had been playing pretty well before that..

Edit:

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip  55m55 minutes ago

Francis said shot to mask by Pens' Kessel or bump during Vancouver game may have been cause. Said Ward had sore neck after Canucks game.

Edited by remkin

On the Eddie Lack situation, this just remains an enigma to me, and I'm sure to many on here as well!! I mean, he seems the real steal when we 1st obtained him, playing great in Vancouver. Then he gets to Carolina, endears himself to fans like he enjoyed in Vancouver, gets in the new system with a NEW goalie coach and absolutely bombs. Ergo, is it the goalie coach, the different D in front of him, or the TACOS?

And Super D, I'm with you on your thoughts on Altshuller. I mean, get his feet wet quickly, because barring a true miracle finish, this season is lost.

Edited by KJUNKANE

So, Cam gets concussed on Kessel's shot off the mask and then he goes on to play in Vancouver?  Seems strange that concussion protocol missed this, but I understand that the symptoms are hard to predict, but just seems kind of strange to me.

If Altshuller's bar is Cam Ward, then his bar doesn't have to be set any higher than .900, because that's the body of work we've gotten from the guy.

Plus, immediately after the shot Cam came up smiling. That also seems strange for a blow serious enough to cause a concussion.  I wonder if it was actually something else?  If it were Tiger Woods I'd wonder if it might be non sports related (like an Erin 7-iron) but my understanding is that Cam is an exceptional family man.  But seriously, I wonder if it was something that happened in practice rather than Kessel's shot?

Edited by LakeLivin

Canes GM Ron Francis says team not sure when Ward suffered concussion. Said he complained of dizziness Tuesday, was diagnosed today.

Francis said shot to mask by Pens' Kessel or bump during Vancouver game may have been cause. Said Ward had sore neck after Canucks game.

Concussions are sometimes very hard to diagnose. I've seen players come up days after being hit before they start to exhibit symptoms. It could have been a combination of what GMRF said where Cam took the shot off his mask on Tuesday, which could have made him more susceptible then the bump on Friday really stirred things up and now the dizziness started yesterday.

This is an opportunity for Lack to take the reigns. He needs to start showing why he was brought on this team. If he doesn't perform, Altshuller is waiting in the wings.

Edited by hopper915

Cam coming up smiling after that shot sticks in my mind as well, it was actually a pretty funny moment. Now this.

I'm never glad when a player gets hurt, and I'm not now, but things work out. Hopefully we get a look at Altshuller, and more important, Altshuller gets a feel for the game at NHL speed. That can only be a good thing, and I'm with SD: Put him in right off the bat. Lack's performance in Pitt was okay but if Cam were healthy you'd have to think he gets the start. Giving Alt the nod sends a very clear message while giving you an option if he stinks it up. With the ASG coming up, we can afford to give him a look right off the bat.

I doubt we'll see Altshuller any unless Lack completely poops the bed. We have 4 games in 6 nights against Toronto, NYR, Flames, and Hawks. IF, they decide to get Altshuller in, maybe Sunday vs the Flames, but a real #1 should be able to handle 4 games in 6 nights.

It's also a good test to see if Lack can take the reigns and be a #1. People always say a goalie has to get in a groove, well now is his chance to get in that groove and prove that he can be a starting goalie in this league. It'll also be good for us to see what we have in Lack, which can then help us make a decision.

Although Altshuller is having a great year, let's not forget that he couldn't even get any starts last year in the ECHL as he was that bad. I'd rather this team not rush our goalie prospects, and give them time to grow in the AHL. 

First things first though, give Lack the reigns and see what he can do. Again, if they want to get Altshuller in, I peg the Calgary game Sunday. Western Conference opponent and not a high danger team.