The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

I may be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken I thought it said he was the youngest Swede in Franchise history to score a penalty shot...in the alternate jerseys.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :jester: .

I didn't see the particular tweet or the broadcast, but on NHL On the Fly, Weeksie put up a graphic on that, and Lindholm was listed as the youngest in Canes/Whaler franchise history to score on a penalty shot, just eeking out Jeff Skinner by a few months.

The article below on ESPN confirms it.  Pretty cool.

http://espn.go.com/espn/elias

If he is the youngest Swede in NHL history, then that would be great to know as well.

Edited by coastal_caniac

If he is the youngest Swede in NHL history, then that would be great to know as well.

Don't quote me on it - i was looking away and looked up pretty much just in time for the graphic to disappear, but that's what i thought it said anyway.

Slapshot, your list of players to consider trading for Drouin was decidedly tilted toward older defenseman that we are not going to want in a year or two, players who will struggle to hang on in the NHL in a year or two (Gerbe, Jordan), and lower tier forwards with upside such as Nestrasil and Nordstrom. None of these guys are going to bring back a #3 overall pick like Drouin, though someone on that list could be a throw-in as part of a deal. I think any deal for Drouin would start with Hayden Fleury (unless Tampa likes one of our other young defenseman more - with Hanifan being untouchable). I think it would take a minimum of Fleury plus our second, or maybe Fleury plus LA's 1st. Is Drouin worth that, character issues and all? We need elite offensive players, so I guess the answer is maybe, and a call RF has to make. The parallel to Seguin makes you wonder if he might not be a steal, especially at such a young age.

As for including Eric in a deal, he might be appealing to Tampa if Yzerman determines he cannot sign Stamkos and trades him before the deadline. Maybe Eric and Fleury, with us retaining a portion of Eric's salary would be a possibility. Just spitballing, but I'd love to know if we've made any proposal to Tampa.

Doing a little perusing trying to see about Lindholm's penalty shot, and apparently he's the youngest Swede to score an NHL goal period.  Didn't know that.

Also, the youngest NHL player to score on a penalty shot - Jordan Staal.  Mind you he was a flightless bird then...

I'm locking in my tkts for February 12th against the JR Birds. The Canes will have 4 days rest and the Pens one day rest after playing the Rangers. Could be a very big game.

According to my calculations we're still actually out more like 4-5 points taking into account games-in-hand.  BUT, we've legitimately passed Ottawa, Montreal, and Philly in the standings even accounting for uneven schedules, so there's now only 2 teams between the Canes and a playoff spot. It's a slog, but we're headed in the right direction and you've got to believe that the "1 point out" on paper will goose home crowd attendance, which could help going forward as well.

I'm getting close to switching from "our chance isn't unrealistic" to "we've got a realistic chance".  And looking at BP as a coach of the year candidate.

Edited by LakeLivin

Better that we're out by 1 point with 30 games to go then out by 4 points with 11 games to go like past seasons. I have no idea what RF is going to do at the deadline. I really hope Versteeg is resigned.

I agree on Versteeg, he reminds of Matt Cullen, brings it every game and makes stuff happen.  You can tell he has a lot of passion to win and score. We're always short on top 6 wingers, lets keep this one and Skinner at the least. 

RF's job is getting really difficult unless his mind is made up on Eric and Cam no matter what.  Do we stick with what we got cause all of a sudden its working and we now have a fair chance at the playoffs?  Do we trade and bring in a couple new guys that might really boost us to making a run?  I have to think RF's mind might be made up and he's not changing it based on the standings.  Its not like Eric is scoring game winning goals right now.

I don't want to see Cam go because I really feel he's a number one that can carry us, but at this point if Lack is going to consistently be this good and Altschuller is hitting his prime and is NHL ready than I'd consider it.  I want to see Lack win a few more before I make a final call on him. Everybody gets hot, it's whether or not he can be consistent. 

Tough stuff, the canes had to go and get good halfway throught the season. 

I've never seen Eric and Cam as being tied together in terms of dealing, but with what's happened in Montreal - and particularly with Pacioretty going down last night - you have to wonder if there isn't a deal to be made there involving both. The popular sentiment is that Therrien is owed a trade before he's fired, and the Tokarski for Friberg deal with LA certainly doesn't qualify.

One downside, of course, is that we give them a chance to hurt us since they're in our div. But given that we never expected to be where we are and the fact that E Staal hasn't been a driving force in it, helping the Habs out now could return a bonanza of picks. Make Lindy the third-line C between Skinner and PDG, move Rask to #1 or #2, and let our kids learn from their first genuine playoff drive.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I've never seen Eric and Cam as being tied together in terms of dealing, but with what's happened in Montreal - and particularly with Pacioretty going down last night - you have to wonder if there isn't a deal to be made there involving both. The popular sentiment is that Therrien is owed a trade before he's fired, and the Tokarski for Friberg deal with LA certainly doesn't qualify.

One downside, of course, is that we give them a chance to hurt us since they're in our div. But given that we never expected to be where we are and the fact that E Staal hasn't been a driving force in it, helping the Habs out now could return a bonanza of picks. Make Lindy the third-line C between Skinner and PDG, move Rask to #1 or #2, and let our kids learn from their first genuine playoff drive.

I never really thought about a package deal either, not sure a team would want our two leaders together who have not lead us anywhere in a long time!   Anyway, I do hope if either gets moved its to the West.  I don't want to see them several times a year.  They will light us up like former players always do. At this point, I put my trust in RF, whatever he decides I stand behind until it fails.LoL

According to my calculations we're still actually out more like 4-5 points taking into account games-in-hand.  BUT, we've legitimately passed Ottawa, Montreal, and Philly in the standings so there's now only 2 teams between the Canes and a playoff spot. It's a slog, but we're headed in the right direction and you've got to believe that the "1 point out" on paper will goose home crowd attendance, which could help going forward as well.

I'm getting close to switching from "our chance isn't unrealistic" to "we've got a realistic chance".  And looking at BP as a coach of the year candidate.

sportsclubstats.com is brought up here frequently.   It runs the odds knowing about games in hand.

The simulation says: 1 in 5 chance weighted, and 1 in 3 chance unweighted.

That is into "yes it is possible" territory.  Canes still need to consistently win 2 out of 3 from here on out though (with only a few loser point games).

With the All Star break upon us, we can have the January Hagmetrics update early...

Reminders:

Playoffs Goal is 93 points for the season, which is +11 (Subtract wins from losses)

"Normal" playoff pace is +2 per month.

Goal at end of January, therefore, is +8 to be in playoff position. (Check.  Pittsburgh is in the 8th slot at +7)

Early season:  Deep hole dug as Canes went -2 for the first 2 months rather than +2, falling 8 games off pace after 2 months.

THEREFORE:  Recovery pace for the last 4 months of the season is +4 per month, for a +16 to add to the -4 to get to +12.

Results:

October:     -2

November  -2

December +3 

January     +4 (7-3-3)

---------------------------

Season      +3

When I proposed the makeup pace of +4 per month at the end of November, I was sort of laughing to myself.

What has happened is a pretty amazing run where they have done exactly that.  Technically, 2 more months of +4 and they WILL be at +11 and headed straight for 93 points heading into the short month of April.

So they have proven that they CAN win at makeup pace, over a rather significant period of time (2 months).  All that remains is the question if they can continue at this pace, and seal the deal.  

As you can see, the line continues to move up gradually, it is +7 now and will be somewhere in the neighborhood of +11 at season's end.

I had said it would take a run of pretty significant magnitude before I would even start considering playoffs a possibility.  At this point, I have convinced myself that they have sustained this run over a long enough period that it is not a fluke.  This is now a real possibility.  Put me in the "can do" camp now.

This is a bit emotional, but I'll share it anyway.  Without emotion, why are we even paying any attention to sports to begin with.

I stood in the arena last night, half of us Blackhawks fans (and it didn't bother me in the least), and then someone started cranking the Hurricanes Warning siren, and I felt it deep inside, for the first time in a very long time.  Somehow I knew it was going to be a special night.  I started to believe again.  I felt like finally the bottom was behind us and we are rising out of the ashes like a phoenix, and we can play with anybody.  Sure, we don't have all of the pieces yet, and we aren't ready to be elite.  But there is no question in my mind we are on the right track and building something special again, and man o man, it just felt real good.

And that was before we kicked their keester with 5 goals, not after.

That is all.

I too am beginning to feel very optimistic with this team.

If they are in the hunt at trade deadline, what I do not want to see is us trying to get a rental and give away any of our young prospects. Don't sacrifice the future of this team for the present. Go all in with this team and let the dice land where they may.

We've played well for 2 months and have beaten the top teams in the league (Washington and Chicago) in the same week as well as sweep the Blackhawks.

While teams above us have games in hand, I see it as they have more games to play over the next 10 weeks than the Canes do.

Which mean they'll have more 3 games in 4 nights and more back-to-back scenarios.

31 games left in the season for the Canes. Looking at the schedule they are playing pretty much every other night and have 3 back-to-backs left in the season, with only one of those where the Canes have to travel.

Edited by hopper915

I never really thought about a package deal either, not sure a team would want our two leaders together who have not lead us anywhere in a long time!   Anyway, I do hope if either gets moved its to the West.  I don't want to see them several times a year.  They will light us up like former players always do. At this point, I put my trust in RF, whatever he decides I stand behind until it fails.LoL

I don't think either of them would stick in Montreal long-term, but as rentals, a deal like this would placate Habs fans that the org took real steps to reverse its fortunes this year by addressing the losses of Price and Patch. I'd expect both to then try the FA market in the summer.

As much as I am excited we are playing better, I think it would be woefully short-sided to allow any points standing to affect what we do with our UFA's this year.

1) If Staal and or Ward leave while we are in the hunt, I think the remainder that actually go to games and support this team are shophisticated enough to understand our future is what must be kept in mind.

2)  If we did otherwise, how many of us actually think this team can win a ECF?  If so contend for a cup?  I am bullish on our future.  But the future is not this year.

3)  If the UFA's are moved this year, keep in mind we are not in a playoff spot.  We havent been in a playoff spot in months.  We have seen the light in the tunnel all season.  Sadly, we've never left the tunnel.  If we have a chance to get better next year should we gamble we will get out of the tunnel this year?  Is that really prudent?

I dont see our current position as an issue at all for management.  We are showing promise, players are learning, coaches are teaching.  If you advocate otherwise, then your saying maybe we should be buyers at the trade deadline.  Think about it that way.

Now should we go out and try to bring in a rental for our "playoff" chase?  I contend - of course not.

Still it makes going to game more easy to swallow.

As much as I am excited we are playing better, I think it would be woefully short-sided to allow any points standing to affect what we do with our UFA's this year.

1) If Staal and or Ward leave while we are in the hunt, I think the remainder that actually go to games and support this team are shophisticated enough to understand our future is what must be kept in mind.

In this forum, yes.  But watch as Facebook lights up with 'I'm done with this team why do they always trade there best players".  I'm with you completely, though.  Focus on the future, and whatever happens this season is gravy.

I put an All-Star topic up in the GameDay for anyone who wants to talk about the game or the weekend events

2)  If we did otherwise, how many of us actually think this team can win a ECF?  If so contend for a cup?  I am bullish on our future.  But the future is not this year.

3)  If the UFA's are moved this year, keep in mind we are not in a playoff spot.  We havent been in a playoff spot in months.  We have seen the light in the tunnel all season.  Sadly, we've never left the tunnel.  If we have a chance to get better next year should we gamble we will get out of the tunnel this year?  Is that really prudent?

I dont see our current position as an issue at all for management.  We are showing promise, players are learning, coaches are teaching.  If you advocate otherwise, then your saying maybe we should be buyers at the trade deadline.  Think about it that way.

Now should we go out and try to bring in a rental for our "playoff" chase?  I contend - of course not.

Still it makes going to game more easy to swallow.

Using similar logic to the above but in the other direction, wouldn't you be saying that we should make trades now (Versteeg, E, Ward, Liles & maybe someone would give us a very late draft pick for Nash or Malone?) that would in essence likely gut the team for the rest of the season? Because trading partners at this point are renters who aren't going to give up assets that would help the Canes the rest of this season.

I understand your sentiment and I don't even disagree with it.  But I think you're underestimating what a playoff appearance this year would mean to the organization. Attendance was down to, what, around 9k recently?  I don't see RF being a buyer this season no matter what.  But I think that the longer the Canes continue this push, the tougher it gets for him to be a seller and jeopardize what is looking like might be a legitimate push to make the playoffs. The fact is that this is a different team than the one that started the season and dug the hole.  They've played a full 2 months straight of playoff-qualifying-caliber hockey.  Recent results have been so good that, as long as it continues, I don't think it's going to be quite as easy for RF to short circuit that run as some of you, even if it is to benefit the future.  And losing any of our top half players stands a good chance of short circuiting the run imo.  We just don't have any depth at all. Look at what happened when even Pesce went out for a couple of games. 

Note that I'm not taking a position on what I think RF should do, just that I think it may be harder for him to do what you want him to than you think.  Because when you come down to it, isn't actively hurting your competitiveness now for the benefit of the future the definition of tanking?  And while the more sophisticated fans will understand the big picture, I've got to believe there are a lot of casual fans that wouldn't.

Edited by LakeLivin