The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

At least it is a different conversation we are having. Hope creeping back into it. At least we are not talking about big metal army track vehicles that shot huge projectiles.

This team really does have a legit chance. Why? Not just because we have closed the gap, but because we have returned to playing well after a few games of meh. We have been beating good teams. The defense is better, but still can improve and some goals are coming again, and Lack is doing something we've needed from a back up goalie for years. That, combined with a stew of inertia with the other teams in our path, and why not us?

The projected points back is 4 points. As Lake pointed out though, we have legitimately put Ottawa and MTL behind us, and closed on everyone but Pittsburgh.

THAT said, it is still an odd against situation. We will have to beat out Pittsburgh, and fend off Ottawa, MTL, Philly, and NJ.  The Division is pretty out of reach. NYI have 4 freaking games in hand on us. That projects them to 63 points, 9 ahead of us. They could falter, but the last Wild Card slot is out best shot by far.

So, we still have at best a 20% chance if we don't go on a sick run.

As others have mentioned as well, the odds of going deep starting our run in Washington?

So, the playoffs, while very important to attendance and experience for our guys should still be viewed as gravy. One thing for absolute sure, we are not renters.

But what about a move that benefits this year, and beyond? Like, oh, Drouin? But where do you slot him in? You trade Eric.

WHAT??? Well here's the rub. We may not be able to do that. Eric might balk. He has the NTC after all. But imagine if you could do a double move: (two different teams):

Eric for first round pick/prospect.

Drouin for Fleury.

Drouin could slot in the top 9 in place of Eric, and who knows, maybe we still make the playoffs.

We have an elite prospect. We have 3 first round picks.

Then, if Versteeg will sign, do it, if not, trade him too. Same with Ward. Caveat: return. Need at least second rounders or just keep them.

Yes, we are still moving guys for the future, but it does not gut our chances this year.

The problem of course is approaching Eric and saying, "yes, we are back in the playoff mix, but we want to trade you anyway" to a guy who has a NTC. And the NTC rears it's head again.

The problem with holding onto Eric, Ward and Versteeg unsigned? Well a 4/5 chance we don't make the playoffs and a 9/10 chance that we either don't make it, or we are one and done. That is a less than 10% chance of getting in and past the first round.

Edited by remkin

I understand many of your points.  While the intent wouldn't be to tank, I could see how some unsophisticated fan may think otherwise. 

Regardless, shortcuts were taken and that has to be corrected.  Look at Chicago and what happened after they built that young dynasty the hard way.  Remember the Pens around 2004 etc... when people thought they may have to sell the franchise?  I see that as us with the blue-line we are assembling and the talented young forwards we are developing.  I hope we go all in.  A foot in and a foot out of the water prevents us from swimming or running.  

RF knows what champions are built of.  As long as PK lets him run I am confident we will get there and we have a coach here, a coach in Charlotte and guys like Wesley and Brind'Amour that don't know what giving up even means in the organization.  Regarding Brind'Amour, people remember Brind'Amour in game 1 of the finals stealing the puck from the Oil goalie and putting it in, but I am not sure how many remember it was his 29th shift of a game and his 23rd minute on the ice.  How many centers would you find in the NHL 30 seconds from overtime behind the other teams goal pressuring the puck on their 29th shift knowing they will start the overtime?  Rod did that the first game of the season and he did it in the 90th.   That kind of person is who we must build around and that's not talent as much as its heart.  RF must do what it takes to put that kind of determination and heart on this team.  Its been a scarce commodity the last 5 years or so.

Note that I'm not taking a position on what I think RF should do, just that I think it may be harder for him to do what you want him to than you think.  Because when you come down to it, isn't actively hurting your competitiveness now for the benefit of the future the definition of tanking?  And while the more sophisticated fans will understand the big picture, I've got to believe there are a lot of casual fans that wouldn't.

The Canes have 13 games in February before the trade deadline (2/29). A run at the beginning of the month could be the difference maker. Unless the team is in a playoff spot nearing the end of Feb, I think RF has to make trades. What he can't afford to do is fail to cash in his chips AND miss the playoffs.

Another short and sweet post bought to you by, SuperDave.

Edited by super_dave_1

Barring a crazy run: 10-2-1 or such, I agree, Francis absolutely cannot be a buyer unless that player (Drouin) is a long term play.

Further, I may be a bit contrarian to the playoff fever that may start setting in, in that, nothing short of that kind of run should change the long term plan at all. That includes return on Eric, Ward, and even Versteeg (if he is not in the signing mood).

This is in full agreement w/ SD's nice concise post.

The problem will be trying to trade Eric if the team sits in a Wild Card spot from his vantage holding the NTC, even though that is the move to make. It will be hard to do.

Edited by remkin

Barring a crazy run: 10-2-1 or such, I agree, Francis absolutely cannot be a buyer unless that player (Drouin) is a long term play.

Further, I may be a bit contrarian to the playoff fever that may start setting in, in that, nothing short of that kind of run should change the long term plan at all. That includes return on Eric, Ward, and even Versteeg (if he is not in the signing mood).

This is in full agreement w/ SD's nice concise post.

The problem will be trying to trade Eric if the team sits in a Wild Card spot from his vantage holding the NTC, even though that is the move to make. It will be hard to do.

This is the exact scenario I've been writing about for the past two weeks. If we are solidly in a playoff spot at the TD - and I'm not holding my breath, yet - moving E gets very hard, even if it's been RF's plan all along. If Eric were to agree to a trade, it would only be to a playoff-bound team, and what we'd be likely to get back - a pick and prospect at best - doesn't do anything for our own playoff prospects this year.

Shorter (just for you, SD :lol: ): If we're in in playoff spot, we're (ostensibly) one of those playoff-bound teams, too. So keep Eric, let him play out his deal, and see what he can add to the hunt. If we get in, he might just resign at the number we need him to. If not, fine. We're still loaded with picks and just added $9.5 million to next year's coffers. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

THAT said, it is still an odd against situation. We will have to beat out Pittsburgh, and fend off Ottawa, MTL, Philly, and NJ.  The Division is pretty out of reach. NYI have 4 freaking games in hand on us. That projects them to 63 points, 9 ahead of us. They could falter, but the last Wild Card slot is out best shot by far.

I don't get down the griddy of calculating and projecting points, etc. The NYI have 4 games on hand, but we play them 3 more times, so that's 6 points if we can take all 3 games in regulation. If that hypothetical happened, would that help our cause in moving to a wild card spot?

I am seriously trying not to get my hopes up, but dang it's been so long without playoff hockey here in Raleigh. I'm needing it as much as a vampire needs blood.

I think Eric has value to the team.  On ice, I don't think he's more valuable than his brother.  His brother makes 6-mil.  That's the number that sticks out for me.  You can argue that Jordan is overpaid, and it then becomes a sliding scale.  I don't think Jordan is overpaid myself.

If Eric would take that over 3-years, I hope they do it during the All-Star break and get it over with. 

It makes my head hurt to think about what happens if he won't, assuming we reach a solid playoff position closer to the deadline.  I wish a number and term of some kind would leak out.

I hope if things don't work out we get a return.

I think Eric has value to the team. On ice, I don't think he's more valuable than his brother. His brother makes 6-mil. That's the number that sticks out for me. You can argue that Jordan is overpaid, and it then becomes a sliding scale. I don't think Jordan is overpaid myself.

If Eric would take that over 3-years, I hope they do it during the All-Star break and get it over with.

It makes my head hurt to think about what happens if he won't, assuming we reach a solid playoff position closer to the deadline. I wish a number and term of some kind would leak out.

I hope if things don't work out we get a return.

Jordan is starting to remind me of Brindy. I think 6m is fair for him.

I know I'm a broken record on this, but to me, a reasonable deal combined with no NTC or at least a very limited one allows the GM some flexibility down the road. If Eric can be signed on a more reasonable deal, with at least some chance to trade him if the need arises, that would work.

If Eric would take that [6 mil] over 3-years, I hope they do it during the All-Star break and get it over with. 

Agree 100 percent, provided the deal includes no NTC, or at least a modified one. But at his age, no NTC at all is preferable.

If no deal is announced by the time we're in Calgary, I think we're in "this is becoming a distraction" territory, and that's not what this team needs.

Agree 100 percent, provided the deal includes no NTC, or at least a modified one. But at his age, no NTC at all is preferable.

If no deal is announced by the time we're in Calgary, I think we're in "this is becoming a distraction" territory, and that's not what this team needs.

Yeah, good point.  I bet he would want some protection, but not a full NTC as he has now.

TheHockeyNews had an article on the 2nd half storyline for each NHL team. http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/second-half-preview-30-story-lines-to-watch/  Here's what they had for the Canes:

CAROLINA HURRICANES: In their final game before the all-star break, the Hurricanes beat the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks 5-0. Saying Carolina beat Chicago, though, is a massive understatement. The game wasn’t even close and it looked like the Hurricanes, not the Blackhawks, should have been the favorite heading into the game.

In their past 10 games, the Hurricanes are 7-2-1 and entered the break on a two-game win streak. They still sitting outside a playoff spot, though, and that leaves a number of questions. Does GM Ron Francis make a decision with regards to Eric Staal? Does Cam Ward or Eddie Lack lead the playoff push? The Hurricanes have eight roster players set to become unrestricted free agents. They’ll be a team to watch come deadline day.

Edited by LakeLivin

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 15h15 hours ago

Canes recall Di Giuseppe, Murphy. Pesce placed on injured reserve.

I expected DiGi to be back but Murphy was a little of surprise for me. I thought maybe after the trade deadline he would get a call up.  Are we trying to gauge his improvement or maybe showcasing him for a trade and what happens to M. Jordan.

Interesting times.

I expected DiGi to be back but Murphy was a little of surprise for me. I thought maybe after the trade deadline he would get a call up.  Are we trying to gauge his improvement or maybe showcasing him for a trade and what happens to M. Jordan.

Interesting times.

I go with # 2

I go with # 2

Maybe but we have a D-man that is a free agent and several D prospects that could also be included in a trade. I think it is just time to find out what we can expect from Murphy going forward. That could change in a couple of weeks but I think this is an evaluation. With Pecse on IR and road trip looming we also need to have an extra D-man.  It could be as simple as that.

I wonder if part of it is that with Pesce out Peters doesn't want to keep playing another d-man on his off side.  He's said a couple of times how important he thinks it is to keep the D balanced.

Interesting times.

I'd rather Murphy in the lineup than M.Jordan.

But I think it's more that Peters likes to have an equal number of lefties/righties. M.Jordan struggles as is, but he's pretty awful on his offside.

Great points about the playing the off side thing.

First, we are a much better team with Pesce in there than either Murphy or Jordan. Anyone know his issue, or how long he's expected to miss?

Second, I agree that we need to see Murphy. Murphy is a tricky story. On the one hand, he came back looking the best he's ever looked at the start. The team was really fighting it then, which doesn't help his evaluation. Then he gets concussed and it goes down hill. He's back in Charlotte, putting up points, but drawing some disparaging scouting reports. He is also held down there by the emergence of Slavin and Pesce, both younger than Murphy.

But what to do with our 12th overall pick? Is he the defensive Boychuk, or can he at least garner some trade value? Can he fit in with our future? We do need to know.

He's toiled in the AHL. Should be a good, humbling lesson and chance to work on his game. Now how does he fit into our plans?

While on a playoff run, we have to play the best guys, but with Pesce out, Jordan is not notably better than Murphy. Might as well see what he can bring. I'm looking forward to seeing him far more than Jordan on his off side.

And yeah, PDG deserves and needs to be back here.

Edited by remkin

Hi everyone, been quite a while since I last posted here! Unfortunately the team is just not a lot of fun to watch or even talk about when they stink and well, lets just say last season burned me out. Now though, they have slowly but surely begun to catch my interest again.

Anyways, I'm not 100% sold and satisfied with this team yet but ever since the Dallas game in December it seems like a new page has been turned. I'm a strong believer in Bill Peters, he is definitely an advocate for playing hard and giving effort every shift. For the first time in, well, ever I guess, it seems we have a Damn good crop of D-man prospects coming up and with Faulk not yet 24 y/o that's a good thing. I've been impressed in particular with Brett Pesce. Hanifin reminds me a lot of Faulk in his rookie season, solid player with tons of potential but not immune to making a rookie mistake every now and then.

I know the big question on everyones mind is going to be the Staal/Ward situation and I really have no comment on that at this time.

If playoffs are truly on the mind of these guys, they need to start getting divisional wins as they come. That is going to be a huge factor going forward. Every point is precious but especially the games against the likes of New Jersey, Philly, Pittsburgh, etc.

Lets hope for the best, it's kind of fun for once to see this team competing for a playoff spot instead of a top 5 pick.

Welcome back captain. The team is competing. I don't know how long it will continue but it is fun to watch right now.

I know it's easy to forget with all that's happened, but until the concussion many of us were saying Murphy looked like a completely different player this year (in a good way). Besides the showcasing possibility, I have to think the performance of Slavin and Pesce was so good that BP preferred to sit (and RF to pay) Jordan at this level and to be sure Murphy was skating every night. With Pesce on IR, BP has to feel the odds of continued back-end strength are better with Murphy in the lineup than with Jordan. 

Or both will be dropped off in Calgary, and there'll be a new guy on the plane  :lol:

For whomever asked, Pesce's injury is "lower body." BP described it as "a nagging issue" that he thought would be okay with rest over the ASB. That's all the org has disclosed that I know of. Either (1) it didn't get better, or (2) BP smartly doesn't want to rush him back. 

Never been a fan of Murphy and never will. He is the defensive clone of Boychuck. Good AHL player and that's all. Yes, please drop off at the nearest city on the next road trip.