The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

On the logic for a team trading a first for EStaal...

Remember, a contender isn't trading to make him a 1st line center.  They are likely trading to make him a 3rd line center and win the cup.  Like the Doug Weight deal.  We put Weight on the 3rd line and wow, that is a pretty good 3rd liner.  Then wave bye bye to him after the season is over, cause you can't afford a 3rd liner at those prices.

He isn't playing well enough for the 3rd line even, you may say.   Now we take the arrogance of most orgs and add in their logic that the only reason E isn't playing well is we don't surround him with talent, don't coach him right, and have mistreated him for years by not giving him teammates and he is demotivated.  Just think of how great he will play under our system.

All of a sudden you have convinced yourself that this guy is the answer, and yeah, a late 1st rounder isn't much to pay for serious cup insurance.

Sure that doesn't sound like all 29 other teams will believe this, but you only need 1 for 29.

JR hit on a lot of situations like these, and he also didn't.  You gotta push your chips in if you want to win the pot.  Some clubs are tearing out their hair on what the missing piece is that will put them over the top and look at the list, there isn't enough to go around.  So gambling is what you gotta do.

On the logic for a team trading a first for EStaal...

Remember, a contender isn't trading to make him a 1st line center.  They are likely trading to make him a 3rd line center and win the cup.  Like the Doug Weight deal.  We put Weight on the 3rd line and wow, that is a pretty good 3rd liner.  Then wave bye bye to him after the season is over, cause you can't afford a 3rd liner at those prices.

He isn't playing well enough for the 3rd line even, you may say.   Now we take the arrogance of most orgs and add in their logic that the only reason E isn't playing well is we don't surround him with talent, don't coach him right, and have mistreated him for years by not giving him teammates and he is demotivated.  Just think of how great he will play under our system.

All of a sudden you have convinced yourself that this guy is the answer, and yeah, a late 1st rounder isn't much to pay for serious cup insurance.

Sure that doesn't sound like all 29 other teams will believe this, but you only need 1 for 29.

JR hit on a lot of situations like these, and he also didn't.  You gotta push your chips in if you want to win the pot.  Some clubs are tearing out their hair on what the missing piece is that will put them over the top and look at the list, there isn't enough to go around.  So gambling is what you gotta do.

Well said, Hag. It only takes one, and you're also right about Eric being a "depth" center or (at most) a second-line winger with a contender. For any club confident and deep enough to go all-in, a first-rounder is a small price to pay.

I do think a deal will happen with Stammer off the market. I just wish it would happen, already. 

I think a lot can be taken from when the youngins got called up and the team changed darn near overnight. That's what? A 10% change in the locker room of kids trying to prove themselves forcing vets who were way too comfortable with simply just getting by every night to collect a pay check.

I think in November the team stopped listening to Eric and started listening to Peters. It's about the time Eric started looking like a kicked puppy.

I'd personally love Eric as a 2nd line center but he can't be captain anymore and there's simply no way to keep him and not awkwardly deal with the captaincy issue which I personally think is a bigger problem then his gameplay. You can send him to the 3rd line, you can't strip him of the C without ramifications.

I think a lot can be taken from when the youngins got called up and the team changed darn near overnight. That's what? A 10% change in the locker room of kids trying to prove themselves forcing vets who were way too comfortable with simply just getting by every night to collect a pay check.

I think in November the team stopped listening to Eric and started listening to Peters. It's about the time Eric started looking like a kicked puppy.

I'd personally love Eric as a 2nd line center but he can't be captain anymore and there's simply no way to keep him and not awkwardly deal with the captaincy issue which I personally think is a bigger problem then his gameplay. You can send him to the 3rd line, you can't strip him of the C without ramifications.

All great points, and I think it's a small leap to also ask how you bring him back if "rented," even without the C. Not only that, but why would you want to? There is a palpable urgency when every line that Eric is not on is out there. I can't see how letting him go and bringing him back doesn't contradict the "accountability" message Peters has worked so hard to instill.

Apparently not only Francis reads these boards for ideas.

Luke appears to have jumped on the trade'm all train:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article60511706.html

And he pegs our playoff chances at 40%, but SCStats has them at 18-28%.

The upshot is at the end:

What Francis cannot do is split the middle. He can’t hang on to Staal or Ward or anyone else at the deadline, only to let them walk away for nothing this summer. There’s no marginal return in letting them finish out the season for competitive reasons. If they’re going then, it is incumbent upon Francis to get something, anything for them now.

And the way the Hurricanes have played lately, they might not even miss a beat.

Luke may not be the beat writer anymore, but he has followed the team a long time.

Edited by remkin

While we are all focused on E and Ward I would bet the two guys drawing the most attention (If Skinner isn't for sale) from other teams are Versteeg and JML.

While we are all focused on E and Ward I would bet the two guys drawing the most attention (If Skinner isn't for sale) from other teams are Versteeg and JML.

Agreed.  ES and CW are discussed the most because they're long-time franchise players who won the Cup here and whatnot, but i'm fully on board that Versteeg is the one who will have the most suitors suiting, drummers drumming, and lords a-leaping.  And yeah, defense wins championships blah blah, so JML probably gets his tires kicked by a couple GMs.  Hopefully someone out there thinks they can make something out of ES for the rest of the season and gives RF something for him.  CW likely goes nowhere unless Montreal feels he can fill Price's skates, and only then if he can get back in the lineup and stay healthy for 2 more weeks.  But i've reached the point i'd be good with him staying if reasonable terms can be agreed upon.

The rest of the UFAs - Terry, Gerbe, Nash, Malone - might bring RF enough crickets to feed his pet tarantula for a day.  I still wouldn't mind seeing Malone back, but he's barely able to crack the lineup now, so how's that going to change next season?

Edited by realmdrakkar

So offer Liles and Murphy straight up for Drouin, move E for anything breathing (including a stick boy), re-sign Ward if the discount is sufficient, and make re-signing Versteeg a priority.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Agree resigning Versteeg must be priority and if Drouin is a piece that RF wants, there are multiple player combinations he can offer..and toss in ES as the cherry on top...

So offer Liles and Murphy straight up for Drouin, move E for anything breathing (including a stick boy), re-sign Ward if the discount is sufficient, and make re-signing Versteeg a priority.

That's it Top!! Let's make it happen. I'd throw in Pete Friesen if it would tip the scale on Eric! Seriously I really want Steeger resigned. I think he fits the team very well.

That's it Top!! Let's make it happen. I'd throw in Pete Friesen if it would tip the scale on Eric! Seriously I really want Steeger resigned. I think he fits the team very well.

I agree; he is the veteran leader Eric hasn't been, and would be a great transitional Captain. The question is whether he likes what's happening here enough to take on another project team or would like his next ring the (comparatively) easy way.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Pesky Penguins tie the game with three mins to go last night against Florida to secure a point. I was watching this one closely and thought Florida had em with 3 mins to go. Letang arggghhhh

Letang can do things no one on this team can.  As he showed with that sick shootout backhand.  The Pens certainly are a top-heavy team.

I am completely on board with keeping Versteeg if we can, even at a slight overpayement. Slightly overpaying a guy like Versteeg, again, especially if he can be traded, is what a small market with a soon to be huge amount of cap space can afford to do. It may seem counter-intuitive, but slightly overpaying a Versteeg with no NTC or limited one, is far different from what JR did with Semin or Eric or Ward.

It is a point well taken that we don't want to be the Oilers in terms of being light on veteran leadership. If we let Staal, and maybe Ward and JML go, a guy like Versteeg could be a key presence in the room. Plus, he is a reliable 45 point guy who makes plays. If we find some finish, he would be a great guy to have. For all of our hustle and spirit, we need playmakers and finishers.

My main issue is the nagging feeling that Versteeg is just not interested in a small market, low attendance, rebuilding team. Somewhere in my gut I think while he said all the right things, he did not appreciate being scratched that one time either. Versteeg is a professional, and will not say anything but the right things, right up until he's gone.

If he will not sign he has to go.

This is part of the plan not to deviate from: "here's what we can do if you want to stay...if not, we'll try to find you a playoff run, maybe we can talk this summer. "

Edited by remkin

Apparently not only Francis reads these boards for ideas.

Luke appears to have jumped on the trade'm all train:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article60511706.html

And he pegs our playoff chances at 40%, but SCStats has them at 18-28%.

The upshot is at the end:

What Francis cannot do is split the middle. He can’t hang on to Staal or Ward or anyone else at the deadline, only to let them walk away for nothing this summer. There’s no marginal return in letting them finish out the season for competitive reasons. If they’re going then, it is incumbent upon Francis to get something, anything for them now.

And the way the Hurricanes have played lately, they might not even miss a beat.

Luke may not be the beat writer anymore, but he has followed the team a long time.

Luke has an axe to grind with the Canes. Someone either killed his dog or pissed in his cheerios one too many times. Don't let him fool you into thinking he actually pays attention to the Canes, because he doesn't.

He says we should trade Skinner or Jordan and how Jordan's contract is probably unmmovable. Um Luke, every team needs a Jordan type player and the way he has been playing, any team would take him and that unmmovable contract. As for Skinner. Right. Last I checked this team has a hard time scoring, so yes, let's move one of our best offensive guys.

He wants the Canes to trade-off all the vets and be what Edmonton, with a bunch of kids/prospects. That isn't what Francis has in mind. Francis wants to re-tool, not do a full on re-build. To re-tool, you still need vets sprinkled in with the kids. To re-build, you need at least 4-5 years to become competitive, this is time the Canes do not have. If Francis plays it right and does the re-tool in the correct way, this team can be competitive in the next year or 2.

Luke has an axe to grind with the Canes. Someone either killed his dog or pissed in his cheerios one too many times. Don't let him fool you into thinking he actually pays attention to the Canes, because he doesn't.

He says we should trade Skinner or Jordan and how Jordan's contract is probably unmmovable. Um Luke, every team needs a Jordan type player and the way he has been playing, any team would take him and that unmmovable contract. As for Skinner. Right. Last I checked this team has a hard time scoring, so yes, let's move one of our best offensive guys.

He wants the Canes to trade-off all the vets and be what Edmonton, with a bunch of kids/prospects. That isn't what Francis has in mind. Francis wants to re-tool, not do a full on re-build. To re-tool, you still need vets sprinkled in with the kids. To re-build, you need at least 4-5 years to become competitive, this is time the Canes do not have. If Francis plays it right and does the re-tool in the correct way, this team can be competitive in the next year or 2.

I have to say, when I read that column, my takeaway was, "Wow, Luke peeled himself away from professional tiddleywinks or NASCAR or curling, looked at the standings, the team's recent record, and then threw a column together." If he'd taken the five additional minutes required to assess the individual contributions of any of the guys he mentions, he'd probably have reached the same conclusion pretty much everyone on this board did after Saturday night: Move Eric, the quicker the better.

I will agree that anyone who has watched Jordan Staal play over the last 25-30 games would not be calling for trading him.

Skinner? Tough one. His trade value may have gone up.

What about Skinner for Drouin and Tampa's First rounder?

They probably wouldn't do it, but would we?

Edited by remkin

Geez, mention the playoff possibilies around here and you skinned alive.

To all you downers: go <edit> yourself.

I think I'm off for a while.  What a bunch of losers here.