The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

Good Game tonight against Winnipeg.

Winnipeg could always be a counter-argument for Remkin vs SuperDave's size debate.  They have a large team, but struggle mightily to create offense and actually score.

They also have Mo, the killer of offense.

We are in the playoff hunt. It doesn't matter that we might sell off next week or move key positions as for now we are in the hunt. This team has exceeded my expectations and no matter what happens I for one am enjoying watching this group grow.

It's nearing the end of February, and the boys are playing meaningful games. That alone is a major improvement and a welcome sight. Make it or not, it's been a fun ride. What could have been if not for the stumble out of the gates.

Its a HUGE improvement over the past several years!!!  This team is on the up tick and the future has us smiling for a change.. Resolve the over bloated contracts, sign Versteeg, ect... and enjoy the ride no matter where we end up..... 

Great win and parlayed with a Tampa and Joyzy loss, the night was even better. Pittsburgh has Detroit and Tampa the next two games.

Edited by slapshot02

I will agree that anyone who has watched Jordan Staal play over the last 25-30 games would not be calling for trading him.

Skinner? Tough one. His trade value may have gone up.

What about Skinner for Drouin and Tampa's First rounder?

They probably wouldn't do it, but would we?

I don't see Skinner as a tough one at all, at least not with the deal you're proposing.

Skinner meshes well with the youth but has been around long enough to help mentor them, he's raised (okay, attained) d-zone responsibility, he's not a UFA, and he's only 23. I know you don't disagree with any of that, and likewise, I don't disagree that the right deal might move him. But if the last 12 months are any indication (it was a year ago that RF was first reported to be shopping him), RF has been requiring a lot more than people have been willing to offer, otherwise a deal would have been done by now. Maybe that changes with the stretch run and Skinner's return to form, but the fact that he's not a UFA means once he's gone, he's gone. Given that and the work he's put in to add other dimensions to his game, I have to think the price is even higher now, certainly much higher than a kid who hasn't been on NHL ice for a month (by his own choosing!) and a pick, whether it's a first rounder or otherwise.

Conversely, one reason I can see us doing a Staal-plus-Murphy deal for Drouin and a pick is that it's more even; we give up a guy who we can't come to terms with plus a first-rounder who probably doesn't fit our system but might fit theirs. We get back a guy they can't come to terms with (literally) and a first-round pick. That places on the acquiring teams the burden of making Murph (for them) and the pick (us) work, while providing a fresh start to the other two players, both of whom appear to desperately need one.  

Edited by top-shelf-1

EStaal + Murphy < Drouin + 1st

The math doesn't add up.

ES = 1st (Maybe)

RM < JD (no questions)

A declining UFA + didn't pan out < petulant teen + 1st (in my eyes at least)

Well that didn't go over to well....

Bluedevil, whatever I said last night was not directed at you.

I think my post was rightly deleted.

I logged on last night after what I thought was a great win and saw some responses to my earlier posts, plus a bunch of general negativity that strangely, and uncharacteristically hit a nerve with me.  It felt like people were mad that the team won and won't be in the lottery race.

And I lost my mind.

Sorry.

We are in the playoff hunt. It doesn't matter that we might sell off next week or move key positions as for now we are in the hunt. This team has exceeded my expectations and no matter what happens I for one am enjoying watching this group grow.

Ditto!  Just be careful, some people are angry about the team turn around.  They don't enjoy winning.  They'd rather see a chance at a lottery pick.  How did that work for Edmonton?

Ditto!  Just be careful, some people are angry about the team turn around.  They don't enjoy winning.  They'd rather see a chance at a lottery pick.  How did that work for Edmonton?

My- we are an Angry elf.  I get what you arr saying.  RF will be fine.  Listen to the WHO.  "No one knows what it's like To be the bad man To be the sad man Behind blue ... Put your finger down my throat" .....

On the team: as MM put it on the aftermath, at least a year ahead of schedule. This is exciting now.

It does, however, create a crunch w/ moving players that would not have likely been a problem if we were not ahead of schedule. We've talked it to death, but Eric Staal is at best only a possession player, and watching him last night, he controlled the puck for a while, then turned it over a lot. If Eric in limbo is weighing on him, it doesn't make that situation any easier.

On trading Skinner. I'd just point out that his name has been rumored to be out there. One of the hardest things to do is trade a guy when he might actually have trade value. Last year the idea of getting an entry level #3 overall pick, and a first rounder for Skinner would have been laughable, but from the other side. As with any trade it is all about return. Drouin and a first? Maybe not, but there still might be return worth considering. He is small, very very streaky, still not many assists, adequate at best on defense, and the whole C word issue is easy to forget about, but is still out there.

He is also a guy who despite his obvious open ice talent, BP won't play in 3 on 3. And he has a NTC kicking in soon.

Clearly though, we do not trade Skinner if we are in the run. That could be done later. Probably off-season, or maybe not at all. I only mentioned it because it was part of the Staal rumor, and his name keeps popping up.

But Eric is in a funk. I don't know how we trade him as we stay in this race. By that I mean literally how do you go to him and ask him to waive, not could the team make it without him. I think the team could make it without him. He has something like 2 points in 12 games and watching him, it is very hard to see what exactly would be missed. Tricky situation.

Edited by remkin

My- we are an Angry elf.  I get what you arr saying.  RF will be fine.  Listen to the WHO.  "No one knows what it's like To be the bad man To be the sad man Behind blue ... Put your finger down my throat" .....

Man, cc, thanks for the reminder!  That's one of the best albums ever.  The WHO are gods in elfland.  :)

Given where Skinner is right now (age, improved defensive commitment, contract, re-found scoring touch, healthy) I can't picture another team giving back enough to make a deal worthwhile to us.  Maybe Johansen before he went to Nashville if RF was targeting a potential franchise center? But BJs were looking for defense, not scoring . . .

E. Staal to the Bolts is a non starter because TB is up against the cap ceiling.  It wouldn't work even if we retained as much salary as allowed by the NHL.  We'd have to take back a big contract in return.

Edited by LakeLivin

I still think EStaal and JML could be moved, and still sell the remaining team (and fans) on making a run. The team got 5 of 6 points without Faulk. He's an upgrade over JML when he returns. EStaal hasn't really been producing much of anything of late and the team slowly continues to bail water. I'm glad to see the team winning, but keep with the plan (no detours).

When is a promotion a demotion..this might be the definition. Hey Dan thanks for stopping by Raleigh on your way to Norfolk it was really good to see you.

RALEIGH, NCRon Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has reassigned goaltender Daniel Altshuller to the Florida Everblades of the ECHL. Altshuller will join the Everblades today prior to their game tonight against the Norfolk Admirals in Norfolk, VA.

Let us not forget that we still have Wiz for defensive depth in the future. Wiz was skating today and stated he felt good. Wardo also got in extra skate time and was on the ice early taking extra shots from Eric. 

I still think EStaal and JML could be moved, and still sell the remaining team (and fans) on making a run. The team got 5 of 6 points without Faulk. He's an upgrade over JML when he returns. EStaal hasn't really been producing much of anything of late and the team slowly continues to bail water. I'm glad to see the team winning, but keep with the plan (no detours).

On the surface that would seem like a no-brainer. I know that there aren't many here who might question that in the least. Except maybe me :P.  Offensively, Faulk has pretty much disappeared in 2016.

games  goals assists points

Faulk        16        1       3          4

E Staal      19        1       5          6

Liles          19        4       1          5

Don't get me wrong, there's no question in my mind that in the big scheme of things Faulk is much more valuable than JML, But that's mainly due to his offensive prowess imo. I've long been of the belief that JML is more responsible defensively and that he moves the puck better than Faulk. And some of the yutes have singled him out as key in their successful transition to NHL hockey. So, if Faulk isn't scoring, how much would the Canes actually miss him as compared to missing Liles?  Hey, I know it's blasphemy to even mention such a possibility. But consider our teams performance the past 3 games as compared to when Pesce was out for a few games.  We need to be careful since the sample sizes are so small, but it seemed to me that the defense actually suffered more with Pesce out than Faulk.  Again, blasphemy, I know. :o

Of course we want Faulk in the lineup going forward because we expect him to break out of his scoring slump. In spite of his sub par 2016 he has put up 34 points this year. We know what he can do offensively.  But consider that we're taking the opposite position with E.  He's put up 30 points for the Canes this year but given his recent slump we write him off as a possible contributor the rest of the season.

Ok, fire away.  I've gotten pretty comfortable back here.  :couch:  :lol:

Edited by LakeLivin

When is a promotion a demotion..this might be the definition. Hey Dan thanks for stopping by Raleigh on your way to Norfolk it was really good to see you.

I posted the below in the gameday thread.

"Edit 3: did some ciphering and Altshulers last 3 games: 0-2-1, 12 goals against, 0.773 s%  I'm thinking he sees the ECHL again before he sees the NHL."

I guess I was wrong before I was right. :)

Lake...

Thats_just_your_opinion.jpg

A bit of opinion combined with a bit of speculation combined with a bit of a question. It does seem like interesting food for thought, though. ^_^

Edited by LakeLivin

Let us not forget that we still have Wiz for defensive depth in the future. Wiz was skating today and stated he felt good. Wardo also got in extra skate time and was on the ice early taking extra shots from Eric.

completely forgot about Wiz. Is there any chance of him being back before or by April? I can't remember the timeline of his injury.

EStaal + Murphy < Drouin + 1st

The math doesn't add up.

ES = 1st (Maybe)

RM < JD (no questions)

A declining UFA + didn't pan out < petulant teen + 1st (in my eyes at least)

I can def see that POV, except that Drouin, regardless of his potential, is now a project--and Tampa wants D. Packaging E along for their run and the help Murph might provide their PP, which stands at 19, might be enough. 

Edited by top-shelf-1