The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

Here's a poll question: It is really a rebuild if your franchise player is still on the team?

Projected results: 70/30 no.

Yeah, we have to wait this one out. I can't see us resigning Eric. If he continues his non performance he's useless to us. 

I mostly agree, although all of our talent is way over slotted. Based on a quality rebuild we are only a little over 50 % there. Going to take at least three to four more years before we are competitive.  Ideally we need to look like this but $'s are prohibitive.

New Guy-New Guy-New Guy

New Guy--Rask--New Guy

Skinner-Lindholm-Nestrasil

Gerbe-Nash-Versteeg

Hanifin-Faulk

New Guy-New Guy

New Guy-Hainsey

Lack-New Guy

I agree with most of this, however I believe (and failed to include in my OP) the fourth line is just fine as is. It was the one constant bright spot last year and its parts were awesome on the PK. So McClement stays. Also, too early to tell on Versteeg or Nordstrom, but we can afford to see if they fit with whatever comes back our way.

Also, I think Rask becomes a #1 and Skinner Lindy Nesty are a potential #2 line. Let 'em grow into it beginning ASAP, and by losing Jordan and Eric at least we have money to get the other two top-six wingers.

Right or wrong, I can't help but feel the cloud hanging over this team is Eric Staal's contract and consistently diminishing performance. One way or the other, that will change - must change - before too much longer.

Edited by top-shelf-1

To get Babcock to Toronto, he insisted on an 8 year contract, and told fans "we are going to build this team the right way, but there are painful years ahead."

I think when RF and BP took over, internally that may have been the thinking, but in this market, mgmt cannot say that or the few fans in the building now may be gone. On the bright side, you can see pieces in place to anchor a very good defense for years to come. On the down side, our forwards appear to be in disarray.

I want to believe this season is not already lost, but we better have a GREAT road trip, or we may enter November just like last year - dead in the water. Realistically, I think we are in a rebuild, and there are major changes coming between now and next October (not sure exactly when).

My concern about Ward and Staal leaving is when we get into UFA will high quality free agents want to come here or will we once again be stuck with a band of misfits?  That means the only way we can have legit 1st liners is through the draft....

Edited by bluedevil58

My concern about Ward and Staal leaving is when we get into UFA will high quality free agents want to come here or will we once again be stuck with a band of misfits?  That means the only way we can have legit 1st liners is through the draft....

As a rule they won't want to come here. At least not at first. If the team builds something, and attendence builds and playoffs and winning arrive then yes, but not before. That said, JR found some effective ones for the 05-06 team that had fallen under the radar, so it can happen that way.

We are going to need to draft the elite talent and trade for the intermediate talent probably.

I know many feel Cam has a share in our mediocrity, and without question he's had bad nights in the past 10 years. But Cam is a fundamentally solid keeper who has kept this team in a heckuva lot more games, IMO, than he can be "blamed" for losing. Unlike forward lines where a determined, elite player or two can make those around them better, keepers get the D they are given and have to stop whatever gets thru. And without question, over the term of Cam's deal, a whole lot has gotten thru. If he will re-up at $3-4 million, I think it is very hard to make a case for trading him. 

As a rule they won't want to come here. At least not at first. If the team builds something, and attendence builds and playoffs and winning arrive then yes, but not before. That said, JR found some effective ones for the 05-06 team that had fallen under the radar, so it can happen that way.

We are going to need to draft the elite talent and trade for the intermediate talent probably.

The one thing in our favor now, that we did not have with JR, is that one of the best players of all time is our GM. Ronnie is a winner who can attract other winners, and who will not be inclined to keep (let alone recycle!) guys who don't cut it. So I'm not too worried about guys not wanting to come here. Money spends the same everywhere, and if the money and the organization are right, we'll get the guys we need short term and the guys who can put us over the top once the foundation is in place.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Depressing to think, that the  next  7 games will decide if we done, with 72 games left... I dont want to think that way,, but who will be the savior, can their be a savior...  Give it the 15  games,  then if we  have gone off the tracks, total rebuild.... I really like Peters, but hes only skating during practice... Serious [i hope] soul searching is going to be going on.... Not sure it will translate on ice... God, i love to think so.. 

To get Babcock to Toronto, he insisted on an 8 year contract, and told fans "we are going to build this team the right way, but there are painful years ahead."

I think when RF and BP took over, internally that may have been the thinking, but in this market, mgmt cannot say that or the few fans in the building now may be gone.

When I see that quote, I can't help thinking of Jeff Luhnow, the GM of the Houston Astros. When he took the job, he straight up told the season ticket holders that they had a plan in place, they were going to stink for the first few years, and then be a contender for a decade. He cut all of the big salaries and the Astros played with minor league talent for a couple of years, while they built their farm system and saved money to buy future FA's. Now, here they are in year 3 and they made the playoffs and were one game from the ALCS.

Everyone is right, our big contracts are what's holding us up. I don't think teams are willing to trade for our big pieces, or if they do we won't get a lot of return. Add on top of this that big name FA's are reluctant to come here. Sadly, it seems to me if we don't perform this year, our only option of getting better would be to pull a Jeff Luhnow. Question is, can the Raleigh market survive a couple more years of dreadful hockey (meaning even worse than we are now), with PK still wanting to sell his stake in the team and relocation rumors abound?

When I see that quote, I can't help thinking of Jeff Luhnow, the GM of the Houston Astros. When he took the job, he straight up told the season ticket holders that they had a plan in place, they were going to stink for the first few years, and then be a contender for a decade. He cut all of the big salaries and the Astros played with minor league talent for a couple of years, while they built their farm system and saved money to buy future FA's. Now, here they are in year 3 and they made the playoffs and were one game from the ALCS.

Everyone is right, our big contracts are what's holding us up. I don't think teams are willing to trade for our big pieces, or if they do we won't get a lot of return. Add on top of this that big name FA's are reluctant to come here. Sadly, it seems to me if we don't perform this year, our only option of getting better would be to pull a Jeff Luhnow. Question is, can the Raleigh market survive a couple more years of dreadful hockey (meaning even worse than we are now), with PK still wanting to sell his stake in the team and relocation rumors abound?

Although it has been said, I think this is exactly what GMRF is doing.  Of the 3 big salaries that are left, 2 of those are gone after this year.  RF wasn't going to be able to trade any of those without taking back an equally expensive deal in the process.  Waiting those out until the trade deadline is all he can do (and good luck with Ward).  That leaves JStaal after this year. 

I can deal with the losing, it's the apparent lack of effort that is killing my soul.  To be fair to the players, I'll say exactly what I see and why I call that lack of effort.  I don't see players willing to go to the goal or physical areas and pay the price to create scoring chances.  I don't see players willing to take a hit to make a play.  I don't see players that want to make a physical play to try to change the course of the game.  I do see a lot of players appear that losing doesn't seem to be a big deal.  If losing is what we do (and accepted as that) then something is bad wrong.

Edited by super_dave_1

Question is, can the Raleigh market survive a couple more years of dreadful hockey (meaning even worse than we are now), with PK still wanting to sell his stake in the team and relocation rumors abound?

If Eric doesn't get his head out of his keester and he walks with no return hockey in Carolina is in deep trouble. 9 mil freed up doesn't mean we'll simply sign the next big thing, those type players aren't making it to UFA anymore and if they do their grossly inflated anyway.

PK is trying to sell the team who wants to buy a loser AND not be allowed to move it? How much longer does PK want to hemorrhage money on this team before selling to anyone? 

If Eric doesn't get his head out of his keester and he walks with no return hockey in Carolina is in deep trouble. 9 mil freed up doesn't mean we'll simply sign the next big thing, those type players aren't making it to UFA anymore and if they do their grossly inflated anyway.

PK is trying to sell the team who wants to buy a loser AND not be allowed to move it? How much longer does PK want to hemorrhage money on this team before selling to anyone? 

BINGO.  Several have said they would be happy if Eric just walked and wasn't resigned.  That is a night mare situation.  If we are not re-signing him we better trade him and acquire assets otherwise we are shooting ourselves in the foot BIG time.  It's not like Stamkos is going to sign here this off season.

I do like McGinn. I think he will be a solid NHL player. He is also the type of player we need in some ways. He is relentlessly physical and never takes a shift off. However, he is probably not ready to put the biscuit in the basket on a consistent basis in the NHL. Then again, who is?

With that being said, he is already a step above most of our current roster.  They can't score either, and are only relentless at saying the right things after the game as to why they didn't win and what they should have done better.

McGinn could bring some much needed energy. I like the look of these lines better than previous games. Skinner Rask and Lindy should be a scoring line. Should be!

I don't know.  I am a straight to the point kind of guy and call it like I see it.  With that being said, having McGinn on the first line is right up there with LaRose being a 1st line forward.  I guess desperation is sinking in with the coaches.

Skinner Rask and Lindy should be a scoring line. Should be!

It was a disaster last year and I had to apologize for pointing it out so many times.

Maybe this year will be different, but I doubt it.

Lets wait until he skates a game before we start comparing McGinn to others. Your point is taken. He is unproven but who else ya gonna get? I would rather see him have a chance to make good. Will it work, who knows. It also shelters Skinner and Lindy, if we are going to have a chance at winning I think we need to get them going.

I said I like these lines better that the first three games not love them.

I don't know.  I am a straight to the point kind of guy and call it like I see it.  With that being said, having McGinn on the first line is right up there with LaRose being a 1st line forward.  I guess desperation is sinking in with the coaches.

It was a disaster last year and I had to apologize for pointing it out so many times.

Maybe this year will be different, but I doubt it.

I will admit at the moment I'm like a drowning sailor cast out at sea. I will grab onto just about anything that might float. :unsure:

What would you do different, sir?  I'm interested in your lineup as designated coach for the Wings game on Friday.

Sure.  I will play this game.  If I were coach, here would be my line up:

Lindy-Staal-Versteeg

Skinner-Jordan-Nesty

Gerbe-Rask-McGinn

Nordstrom-Mclemment-Malone

Faulk-Hanifin

Hainsey-Liles

Murphy-Pesce

Edited by bluedevil58