The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015/16 In-Season Talk

I'm just spitting in the wind and yes Stevie probably wouldn't do that deal. I guess the real issue I have is determining what Drouins value is at this point. He has a lot of skill and potential although unproven at the NHL level. Who knows what is in SY's mind? Is the kid a psyco whowill have continual issues or is he going to be a high producing NHL scorer. I'm surprised a deal has not been made up to this point which I would think is lowering his value.

Well, there was just a report that his TB teammates were trying to talk Drouin into coming back to the team. To me, that's the first evidence (as compared to conjecture) I've seen about the actual state of the kids attitude.  And to me that's pretty promising.  He'd still need to pass muster with RF and BP of course . . .

I think TB is looking for more than a project. 

I think so too, and the fact that they haven't done a deal yet tells me Mick Jagger was right.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need.

The longer this drags on, the more unreasonable Yzerman looks. Granted, he's probably hoping the pressure of the TD forces some team to give up too much. But the bottom line is that, no matter how highly he or anybody else speaks of Drouin, Drouin is nothing more, at this moment, than a project too. And one who has not skated in an NHL game in over a month.

Whatever team takes Drouin takes a risk, and if Yzerman isn't expecting to take one in return, I think he's fooling himself.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Well, there was just a report that his TB teammates were trying to talk Drouin into coming back to the team. To me, that's the first evidence (as compared to conjecture) I've seen about the actual state of the kids attitude.  And to me that's pretty promising.  He'd still need to pass muster with RF and BP of course . . .

Or Yzerman could have pressured them to do that, since it is very likely that he is hearing from other GMs that they are not going to offer anything close to what Yzerman is asking since Drouin has been out of action for so long.

That is correct, Eric's cap hit at the deadline is about $2 million; after a trade, the hit is pro-rated.

I'm fine with you and Rem and anybody else not liking the deal, just wanted to be sure we were all clear about it. (My shortest post of all time clarifying it was directed at Rem, not you Lake.)

. . .

top, I don't trust the way spotrack is reporting available cap space. Take the Canes: we started the year with what, something like $8.5m under the cap limit?  Spottrac is reporting us with $8.5m in available space right now. GeneralFanager shows us with close to $30m in available cap space because we've essentially been "accumulating it" all season.  I think the latter is correct. 

Conversely, I think TB has been over the cap limit all year before you factor in LTIR.  I'm thinking the way that LTIR is actually calculated against the cap limit is the reason GenFan differs from Spotrac.  I'm not positive, but I'm guessing GenFan is probably closer to correct. Again, I really wish CapGeek was still around!  

Edited by LakeLivin

Just throwing one thing out about Drouin being an unproven prospect. Yes, there is risk there. It is possible that he never realizes his potential. That does happen. But Conner McDavid was an unproven prospect last year too. And Auston Mathews is this year. Doesn't mean that all 30 GM's wouldn't give their left coconut for them.

The risk/reward equation includes reward. And a big reward is worth some risk.

We can be pretty sure that Jay McClemment will be an excellent 4th line center next year. Proven. But wouldn't we trade him for Drouin in a heartbeat?

Further, we need elite scoring, thus improving further the potential reward.

As to the timing, I think that A: Yzerman wants to make sure he gets a good return 2. He wants to make it look less like he was pushed into this. So closer to the deadline makes more sense for both reason.

I think it is going to take a very good prospect though, and Murphy IMHO is not that.

I was going to point out that there unproven prospects and there are unproven prospects, but rem saved me some typing.

One thing I'd add is that since Drouin isn't a UFA it's not critical that Yzerman trade him prior to the deadline.  He can wait till the offseason if that makes more sense for him to find the best deal for the Bolts.

Edited by LakeLivin

Just throwing one thing out about Drouin being an unproven prospect. Yes, there is risk there. It is possible that he never realizes his potential. That does happen. But Conner McDavid was an unproven prospect last year too. And Auston Mathews is this year. Doesn't mean that all 30 GM's wouldn't give their left coconut for them.

The risk/reward equation includes reward. And a big reward is worth some risk.

We can be pretty sure that Jay McClemment will be an excellent 4th line center next year. Proven. But wouldn't we trade him for Drouin in a heartbeat?

Further, we need elite scoring, thus improving further the potential reward.

As to the timing, I think that A: Yzerman wants to make sure he gets a good return 2. He wants to make it look less like he was pushed into this. So closer to the deadline makes more sense for both reason.

I think it is going to take a very good prospect though, and Murphy IMHO is not that.

Okay, you're either intentionally ignoring that I'm including E. so TBL gets an immediate impact for this year's playoff drive or you don't care. Either of which makes it look like I'm only proposing Murphy.

As to Spottrac, they have this page that they say is "real time." I mean, who the heck knows, I get that. But if we've gained space thru the season, I'm assuming TBL has too, no?

None of which really matters, except in this sense: Yzerman is obviously asking too much. Maybe Drouin will be an "elite scorer," but by any standard you care to cite, he simply isn't yet, not at this level. He's a 1st-round pick who listened to his crazy agent. Now his GM is asking for the moon and he stars for a guy who (at this point) is worth maybe an asteroid.

I agree with Lake. Yzerman is under no pressure at all to move him. The only way he does is if someone overpays. The reason I think he might consider Eric plus a D prospect (or even Liles) is the way it bolsters TBL's chances of making a deep run this year. Since Yzerman announced that Stamkos is off the market, TBL has won in OT and dropped the next two - all at home. And they've won just 3 of their last 7. Not what I'd call peaking at the right time, but maybe Eric provides a spark? It would certainly wake Stamkos up, because now there are two UFAs in the room with something to prove.   

Edited by top-shelf-1

Okay, you're either intentionally ignoring that I'm including E. so TBL gets an immediate impact for this year's playoff drive or you don't care. Either of which makes it look like I'm only proposing Murphy.

I'm not sure where we are talking past each other. Eric is a rental. Now if you think Eric is worth a first rounder AND a prospect, then I see where  you're coming from. I think most of us are thinking Eric brings a first rounder only.

IF so, that leaves Murphy for Drouin straight up, which is not going to happen.

I think our valuation of Eric's worth as a rental might be the disconnect.

What do you all see in Drouin? I see an undersized forward with legit worth ethic issues. Whyou is everyone wanting him so badly? He flat out sucks....

Well, it's waaaaay too early to say he flat out sucks. So there's that. But I am far more cautious around Drouin than I think Rem might be (I dunno, Rem?)

But what I see is an opportunity to unload two UFAs (whether the second is Murph or Liles I really don't care) which will give TBL what it wants in the near term and *possibly* in the longer term, while getting back two pieces, one of which (Drouin) *might* help us in the stretch drive and after, and the other (a pick) which might help us later on.

And I think a deal like this the absolute best Yzerman is going to get for Drouin before the TD, but I could be wrong. 

So while I doubt he'll do it, you don't know if you don't ask. It is very possible Yzerman is more concerned with TBL making a deep run right now than he is with the longer-term return on Drouin. The fact that he's taken Stamkos off the market is a HUGE gamble by any measure; even if he is certain Stammer will re-sign, Yzerman, by taking him off the market, has essentially gone all in on this run. So two pieces of "insurance" like E and Liles could convince him to let go of Drouin and a pick.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I'm not sure where we are talking past each other. Eric is a rental. Now if you think Eric is worth a first rounder AND a prospect, then I see where  you're coming from. I think most of us are thinking Eric brings a first rounder only.

Nope, I agree E is worth a first rounder. But by packaging him with Murphy or Liles, we solve two UFA problems and we play on Yzerman's obvious determination to make a deep run right now. If he were not all in, he wouldn't have taken Stammer off the market. But he also opened a can of worms: If TBL doesn't get in, or goes out in the first round, their season will be considered a failure--and they are flirting with wild-card territory already.

I was dumbstruck that Y closed down speculation on Stamkos, especially in a year where (I seriously doubt) anybody other than Washington comes out of the East. I mean it's possible, but TBL is not looking like they did a year ago, and the Caps are on a mission. So I think adding E and Murph (or Liles) lets Y say he did all he could to bolster the team down the stretch.  

As to Spottrac, they have this page that they say is "real time." I mean, who the heck knows, I get that. But if we've gained space thru the season, I'm assuming TBL has too, no?

The numbers vary on multiple sites but this is fairly up to date.

After the Slater Koekkoek call up from the Syracuse Crunch, the Lightning are $1.82 million under the upper limit of the NHL salary cap. That equals out to a $5.8m AAV contract in cap room. The team is not getting close enough to the cap to put Jason Garrison on LTIR to gain any benefit. The Lightning also doesn't have the contracts in the AHL to be able to manipulate the cap enough to get there. They'd have to have a guy or two go on IR to be able to call up enough players to make a LTIR declaration and it just wouldn't save that much cap room, so not likely to happen or be needed for that matter.

If the club maintains the roster composition of the moment until the 2016 NHL deadline they'd have the equivalent of $8.2m AAV cap room for trades. I figure they want to save at least $1.5m for injury recalls. So they do have a pretty good flexibility in being able to take on a contract at the deadline, be it a rental player or otherwise.

Want to give some props to RF, who would have thought he could turn McBain and #35 pick into, 2 seasons of a top D man and then trade Sekera for a first rounder and almost a 2nd first rounders. And we are sitting here speculating about E. Staal our franchise player only being worth a 1st. RF is the man (we already knew that)!

Different train of thought, I don't want to come off as a E Staal apologist but I feel as though he becomes the whipping bag in every situation (especially with more casual fans). I was really hoping for a good offensive year (he has played well rounded but his offensive numbers are obviously a concern) for him make a great case to stay. He hasn't preformed how any of us were hoping but it makes me think, who does E have around him? Who has he really had around him since '11 more or less. When he had good talent around him in Tlusty (more or less) and Semin (before he decided he was done caring) he was on one of the top lines in hockey. I get it he gets paid to preform no matter what, but when I look around the league and see other teams top scoring lines they have a lot more to work with. E in the past tried to remedy this by cheating on defense, and now has I think become more comfortable as a 2 way forward who is solid defensively, and makes his surrounding players better. Di Giuseppe is on pace for 38 point year playing with E, and Versteeg, who has been paired with E most of the season, is on near career high pace, certainly his most since '12.

Maybe E leaves and we don't see much change and the team survives. My only worry is how we produce without him, without him making 3rd liners into 1st liners (like he's done for years), without his 50-70 points. It's easy to have a quick trigger finger when dealing with a controversial UFA but idk maybe we hold out, hopefully make the playoff, he remembers that feeling and sees a strong future with this team and we can sign him to a more reasonable number. idk  :Aarrg:

Edited by Canes_Country

What do you all see in Drouin? I see an undersized forward with legit worth ethic issues. Whyou is everyone wanting him so badly? He flat out sucks....

Though not really on the same level of skill.

The Bruins were thinking the same thing with Seguin. Look at how that turned out.

Edited by hopper915

Want to give some props to RF, who would have thought he could turn McBain and #35 pick into, 2 seasons of a top D man and then trade Sekera for a first rounder and almost a 2nd first rounders. And we are sitting here speculating about E. Staal our franchise player only being worth a 1st. RF is the man (we already knew that)!

Different train of thought, I don't want to come off as a E Staal apologist but I feel as though he becomes the whipping bag in every situation (especially with more casual fans). I was really hoping for a good offensive year (he has played well rounded but his offensive numbers are obviously a concern) for him make a great case to stay. He hasn't preformed how any of us were hoping but it makes me think, who does E have around him? Who has he really had around him since '11 more or less. When he had good talent around him in Tlusty (more or less) and Semin (before he decided he was done caring) he was on one of the top lines in hockey. I get it he gets paid to preform no matter what, but when I look around the league and see other teams top scoring lines they have a lot more to work with. E in the past tried to remedy this by cheating on defense, and now has I think become more comfortable as a 2 way forward who is solid defensively, and makes his surrounding players better. Di Giuseppe is on pace for 38 point year playing with E, and Versteeg, who has been paired with E most of the season, is on near career high pace, certainly his most since '12.

Maybe E leaves and we don't see much change and the team survives. My only worry is how we produce without him, without him making 3rd liners into 1st liners (like he's done for years), without his 50-70 points. It's easy to have a quick trigger finger when dealing with a controversial UFA but idk maybe we hold out, hopefully make the playoff, he remembers that feeling and sees a strong future with this team and we can sign him to a more reasonable number. idk  :Aarrg:

Look who Jordan has around him: two guys nobody would have ever pegged as top-six guys when this season began. And they're making it look easy.

I'm so tired of hearing how our $9 million dollar man "has never had anyone to play with." Puh-leeze. And I think RF is, too. He's forcing E to look himself in the mirror. JR never did, and if he had, this franchise's fortunes over the past seven years might have been very different.

We do agree on this: Eric has an opportunity right here, right now. I hope he catches fire and becomes the key player we all know he can be. 

Look who Jordan has around him: two guys nobody would have ever pegged as top-six guys when this season began. And they're making it look easy.

I'm so tired of hearing how our $9 million dollar man "has never had anyone to play with." Puh-leeze. And I think RF is, too. He's forcing E to look himself in the mirror. JR never did, and if he had, this franchise's fortunes over the past seven years might have been very different.

We do agree on this: Eric has an opportunity right here, right now. I hope he catches fire and becomes the key player we all know he can be. 

The J Staal line, no one will disagree is playing lights out but, they are also being asked to play a completely different game. I don't think comparing the two is fair. I think everyone is tired of the excuses for Eric, but the fact of the matter is we have made one attempt to actual surround him with other offensive talent in 6 years and the one time we did the line was a top 5 line. Is it an excuse, yes but its a valid one, he hasn't been given much to work with and the player who have played with him have played at career levels. 

Does any of the above mean we should keep Eric? No, but where does that leave our top scoring line next year or in the near future? Who fills that role? There is no one in the system ready to be a top scoring center, Jordan could but as we can see he is best suited in his current role. We could draft someone but with out improving team there is a low likelihood we get an elite pick. We could go to free agency but we would be hard pressed to find a player that would come to Raleigh at a better price than Eric is willing to give us.

His experience and ability to raise the play of those around him I value in this time of developing new players. And frankly I see no other options than keeping him or trading him and making a big push to resign this summer.

The J Staal line, no one will disagree is playing lights out but, they are also being asked to play a completely different game. I don't think comparing the two is fair. I think everyone is tired of the excuses for Eric, but the fact of the matter is we have made one attempt to actual surround him with other offensive talent in 6 years and the one time we did the line was a top 5 line. Is it an excuse, yes but its a valid one, he hasn't been given much to work with and the player who have played with him have played at career levels. 

Does any of the above mean we should keep Eric? No, but where does that leave our top scoring line next year or in the near future? Who fills that role? There is no one in the system ready to be a top scoring center, Jordan could but as we can see he is best suited in his current role. We could draft someone but with out improving team there is a low likelihood we get an elite pick. We could go to free agency but we would be hard pressed to find a player that would come to Raleigh at a better price than Eric is willing to give us.

His experience and ability to raise the play of those around him I value in this time of developing new players. And frankly I see no other options than keeping him or trading him and making a big push to resign this summer.

You contradict yourself in this post. 

But before I get to that, let's say you are right, that the org has made no effort to surround him with talent. We'll just forget about Cole, Semin, Jokinen, Skinner, Ruutu, Tlusty, and even Eric's own brother. I'm assuming the "one time" you're talking about is Cole, but please remember - because some love to overlook it - that Cole had a full season with Eric after his injury, that we still missed the playoffs that year. If Eric's contract were more in line with his production, we might have been able to re-sign Cole and add other players.

Now, about Eric making those around him better. If that were true, wouldn't it have manifested with the parade of bonafide wingers just listed? 

You say we have no one in our system who is ready to be a top-line center. Forgetting for a moment that Eric is a 2-center at best, how about Rask? Lindholm? Or even Jordan? Any of these guys will win more face-offs, regularly go to the front of the net, and play physically--things Eric has chronically not done during his tenure.

Sometimes you have to turn the page. The time to do that with Eric came about three years ago. I'm thankful we've finally got a GM and coach who are holding guys accountable, and letting go of the "franchise player" model. This market is too small to carry that, and Eric's outsized salary has proven that over these past seven years. Great orgs are built from the ground up and the goal line out. JR never got that. He thought he could trade his way to consistency, and you can't. It might win you a Cup one year, but look what happened after that. Then he made matters worse by doubling down, signing Eric to a far-too-big contract much too soon, on the basis of his performance with a group that caught lightning in a bottle. Eric has never matched that level of output since, and blaming everybody else simply ignores that Eric has some responsibility, too. 

Now, in the final year of his deal, RF has a responsibility: to scrutinize Eric just as critically as he does everybody else. More critically, really, given his salary and captain status. Unfortunately, Eric is playing at a level that fetches about $4 million in this league. Paying him anything over 5 is overpaying (if Eric is sincere about wanting to stay).

So, good luck on the FA market, Eric. I've got no doubt somebody will pay you $6 million. But we can't. We've got fans, 21 other guys, and the future of this franchise to think about.

Edited by top-shelf-1

You say we have no one in our system who is ready to be a top-line center. Forgetting for a moment that Eric is a 2-center at best, how about Rask? Lindholm? Or even Jordan? Any of these guys will win more face-offs, regularly go to the front of the net, and play physically--things Eric has chronically not done during his tenure.

This is where we disagree. Rask and Lindholm are not ready to face a teams top defensive pair. They can handle it for a few games, but to ask them to go up against a team's top defense for 82 games will only hurt them. They are still young and still have growing to do. Right now they are playing well with Skinner because they are getting the other's team 3rd pairings. They still need to be sheltered in a sense. Asking them to go up against the top defense pairings night in night out is too much. Let them grow and put them in that situation when they are more ready.

As for Jordan, his game is better suited being that defensive forward. The guy should be in the voting for a Selke this year (he won't) and in years to come. If you ask Jordan to change his game to be a #1 C, offense focus only, then I think you see production going down from him. Let him continue to be that #2C checking line who can also put up offensive numbers, ala Brind'Amour. He is way more comfortable in the role he is playing now and it shows.

As for your comment about other guys will win more face-offs, regularly go to the net and hit more, that's just not true. Out of the 4, only Jordan wins more at 58%. Followed by Eric at 54%, Rask at 51% and Lindholm at 50%. The team as a whole leads the league in face-off wins and Eric is a big part of that.

And you can seriously say that we have guys that regularly go to the net? Please enlighten me. Hasn't that been the complaint year after year that there is never anyone in front of the net. They are starting to get in front of the net, including Eric, but not one player does it consistently. 

Also, being physical doesn't mean how many hits is X player getting a game. To win board battles, you have to be physical, and this is something that Eric is doing very well. He's winning those board battles. He leads the team in possession.

I know I may sound like an Eric apologist, but I'm also not just looking at numbers and salary. I'm looking at the whole picture. I'm trying to see what this team will be like losing a 1-2C and not being able to replace them. We have to remember that if Francis decides to re-sign Eric, it won't be at $9M per. This team still needs an Eric whether it's Eric himself or someone else. This team is not in a position to overpay in free agency or free agents are not knocking down the PNC Arena doors. And to go the trade route, you have to give to get. Murphy and scrubs won't get it done. This is what I'm trying to look at, not Eric isn't producing offensively so he's worthless.

This is where we disagree. Rask and Lindholm are not ready to face a teams top defensive pair. They can handle it for a few games, but to ask them to go up against a team's top defense for 82 games will only hurt them. They are still young and still have growing to do. Right now they are playing well with Skinner because they are getting the other's team 3rd pairings. They still need to be sheltered in a sense. Asking them to go up against the top defense pairings night in night out is too much. Let them grow and put them in that situation when they are more ready.

As for Jordan, his game is better suited being that defensive forward. The guy should be in the voting for a Selke this year (he won't) and in years to come. If you ask Jordan to change his game to be a #1 C, offense focus only, then I think you see production going down from him. Let him continue to be that #2C checking line who can also put up offensive numbers, ala Brind'Amour. He is way more comfortable in the role he is playing now and it shows.

As for your comment about other guys will win more face-offs, regularly go to the net and hit more, that's just not true. Out of the 4, only Jordan wins more at 58%. Followed by Eric at 54%, Rask at 51% and Lindholm at 50%. The team as a whole leads the league in face-off wins and Eric is a big part of that.

And you can seriously say that we have guys that regularly go to the net? Please enlighten me. Hasn't that been the complaint year after year that there is never anyone in front of the net. They are starting to get in front of the net, including Eric, but not one player does it consistently. 

Also, being physical doesn't mean how many hits is X player getting a game. To win board battles, you have to be physical, and this is something that Eric is doing very well. He's winning those board battles. He leads the team in possession.

I know I may sound like an Eric apologist, but I'm also not just looking at numbers and salary. I'm looking at the whole picture. I'm trying to see what this team will be like losing a 1-2C and not being able to replace them. We have to remember that if Francis decides to re-sign Eric, it won't be at $9M per. This team still needs an Eric whether it's Eric himself or someone else. This team is not in a position to overpay in free agency or free agents are not knocking down the PNC Arena doors. And to go the trade route, you have to give to get. Murphy and scrubs won't get it done. This is what I'm trying to look at, not Eric isn't producing offensively so he's worthless.

You ignore that it's not RF's decision to re-sign Eric. It's Eric's too. He can nix any deal, and if we pay more than $5 million for an aging guy who has not responded to the pressure of an end-of-contract year, we are foolish.

The only way Rask or Lindholm fill that role is by playing. The longer we delay in letting them the longer we take to move forward.

And yeah, you do sound like an Eric apologist. He has $58 million dollars and we have one playoff appearance under his captaincy. Nothing you say or opine changes that.

The idea of replacing what Eric Staal once was is a very fair point. The problem is that it is increasingly clear that Eric Staal cannot replace what Eric Staal once was. Even if we discount his something like 2 goals in 13 games and almost no points stretch, even if we waive that away and focus only on the 2.5 years before that, Eric is a 50 point center at best at this point, and likely for the future. At least that's how Francis HAS to look at it.

Projecting the old Eric into the IC is wishful thinking at best.

So, yes, we probably do still need that guy, but it really isn't Eric anyways. Eric is now a very nice 2C.

BTW over the last 30 or so games, Jordan Staal has been putting up 1C numbers while shutting down the best 1C's of the other team. Eric may or may not take less than his brother, but can anyone argue he's not worth less?

Francis has to find a way to get us at least 1 elite forward, and 1 near elite, though I do think more and more that Jordan could be the first line center. It might not be the traditional first line role, but with a solid 2C with offensive upside, it could work if we had elite wingers. But at best Eric has the "near elite" in him.

Since Eric probably thinks he's worth more than a typical 50 point forward ($4.5 million/year), I see very little chance he signs here. The only thing is whether he's traded or not.

Edited by remkin

Well, he's a 20yo, 3rd overall pick that put up 2.35ppg his last year in juniors.  In his 89 NHL games over the past 2 seasons he's averaging 2.01 points/ 60minutes which among the current Canes over the same time span would rank 2nd behind only Versteeg (2.07).  His Corsi% with TB is 56.9%, 4th best on the Bolts over the past 2 years. 

Here's The Hockey News scouting report:

Assets:

Has outstanding vision, creativity and playmaking acumen. His puck skills are off-the-charts good, and he can rack up impressive point totals (especially assists).

Flaws:

Is somewhat undersized for the NHL game, so he must gain more strength and prove he can handle the physical rigors of the highest level. Injuries can be a factor here.

Career Potential:

Talented playmaker with good upside.

I haven't heard anything negative about his work ethic (please share references to the contrary if you've got them), and his teammates want him back in spite of the Syracuse fiasco.  Please don't tell me that we're still questioning the ability of a 5'11", 186lb player (who at 20yo still may fill out more) to excel in todays NHL. 

IF he were to pass muster with RF and BP, I think a better question would be: why wouldn't you want Drouin? 

Edited by LakeLivin

Well, he's a 20yo, 3rd overall pick that put up 2.35ppg his last year in juniors.  In his 89 NHL games over the past 2 seasons he's averaging 2.01 points/ 60minutes which among the current Canes over the same time span would rank 2nd behind only Versteeg (2.07).  His Corsi% with TB is 56.9%, 4th best on the Bolts over the past 2 years. 

Here's The Hockey News scouting report:

Assets:

Has outstanding vision, creativity and playmaking acumen. His puck skills are off-the-charts good, and he can rack up impressive point totals (especially assists).

Flaws:

Is somewhat undersized for the NHL game, so he must gain more strength and prove he can handle the physical rigors of the highest level. Injuries can be a factor here.

Career Potential:

Talented playmaker with good upside.

I haven't heard anything negative about his work ethic (please share references to the contrary if you've got them), and his teammates want him back in spite of the Syracuse fiasco.  Please don't tell me that we're still questioning the ability of a 5'11", 186lb player (who at 20yo still may fill out more) to excel in todays NHL. 

If he were to pass muster with RF and BP, I think a better question would be: why wouldn't you want Drouin? 

1. Just because he scores in juniors doesn't mean he can cut it in the NHL.  Because I was an outstanding goalie for my middle school soccer team does that also mean I will be great as goalie during the world cup?

2.  He freaking asked for a trade and proceeded to not show up to games for his AHL team.  He also requested a trade before proving himself.  Need I say more?

3. He couldn't crack the tampa Bay line up.