The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cc

Share your Memorable 1st Opening Day Memories

OK I will go first:   My 1st opening day was in Raleigh 1999.  Started at the now closed original alehouse.  Bought a ticket and bus ride package with the wife.  Went early to the bar and had severals beers.  Then, when we boarded the bus found out there was a keg on board.  Well bad planning on my part so I made the best of it and sat with/on the keg pouring for the bus riders.  Then to make it worse we got backed up on the beltline as no one knew how to handle the traffic at the arena.  So had 1 plus hours to imbibe before ever getting into the arena.  Was memorable (mostly) to say the least.  Next?

My first Carolina Hurricanes Opening Night was in 1999. Believe it or not, their first home game was near the end of October and it was their only home game for the month of October. I bought seats in Section 101, almost on the glass if I remember correctly. The arena was then known as the Entertainment and Sports Arena. Players and pucks bouncing off the glass made my wife jump everytime. Unfortunately, we loss that night.

1997 in Greensboro!! Was working in Raleigh at the time and living in Fayetteville. Yeah, I know...ugh! Went to the opener after work (still have the free pennant they gave away that night) then drove back home to Fayetteville afterward. Did that loop for two seasons and loved it! Haha! Used to like sitting in the ends before the netting was put in league wide. 

On a side note, my FIRST Canes home game was the preseason game against the Islanders that season (still have that pennant too). I remember how awesome it was to be watching NHL hockey live again after missing my old "home" team, Winnipeg. So glad we have a franchise, even though I moved from Raleigh in 2003 and have to watch them at away venues when they come out west.  

During Erik Cole's rookie season I knew right then and there that the team was going to do some damage.  That was a very solid team.  I think that was the first opening game I went to.  I'm not sure I went to an opening game during their time in the Boro.

Edited by bluedevil58

During Erik Cole's rookie season I knew right then and there that the team was going to do some damage.  That was a very solid team.  I think that was the first opening game I went to.  I'm not sure I went to an opening game during their time in the Boro.

Even though I did first attend an opening night in 1999, I agree with you, the first opening night I truly remember was 2001, Erik Cole's first game.

Being he was from my alma mater, I was keenly focused on him, and in his first shift, he got the puck on the wing, made his patented speedy wall jump move and took an open slappy, which came out to someone (don't remember) who buried the rebound.  And I realized then, that it really was true, he would likely stick in the NHL.

Great run that season.