The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

New Look Canes...Arena

It looks like the Old Barn could get a makeover.

wralSPORTSfan

PNC Arena, home of the Carolina Hurricanes and NC State Wolfpack, could get a new look as a multi-million dollar facelift is in order.

I didn't see a time line or where the money will come from but a plan is a plan

Has attendance at games gotten any better? I came down for a game in November right before Thanksgiving and one in December right after Christmas, so not sure what is a "normal" crowd these days.  Decent crowd but not full.  My hope is that seats start filling up again as this young squad gets going.

It improved over the holidays and has maintained.  Certain games with competition, i.e. the ice storm or the Panthers game are exceptions.

Shame we were in the middle of the league and moving up in attendance then the team lost the ability to win a game that mattered.  Now the league see's us a team that can't fill up an arena.

When we were going at it with the Devils, we were beating their attendance at the swamp.  Not bad for our heritage.  Those days will return IF we can put a competitive team on the ice nightly and the shadow that came to us from the Thrashers learns this market doesn't even remotely resemble that one.

Edited by one-timer

Does the league really see it that way though, or is it just the media? I've gotten to where I don't trust any of the media stories anymore. They'll say that nobody follows the Canes, Coyotes, etc, but the league and Canes executives keep saying they aren't going anywhere, they have a PNC lease through 2024, there is a strong core of fans in the area, etc.

And when I read Coyotes boards they have a stronger following than the media indicates, it's the owners putting the team out in Glendale instead of in the areas where the core fans are that's caused the issues.

So I'm skeptical about stories that they're down on Raleigh as a hockey area.

Does the league really see it that way though, or is it just the media? I've gotten to where I don't trust any of the media stories anymore. They'll say that nobody follows the Canes, Coyotes, etc, but the league and Canes executives keep saying they aren't going anywhere, they have a PNC lease through 2024, there is a strong core of fans in the area, etc.

And when I read Coyotes boards they have a stronger following than the media indicates, it's the owners putting the team out in Glendale instead of in the areas where the core fans are that's caused the issues.

So I'm skeptical about stories that they're down on Raleigh as a hockey area.

The team is in a tough spot being out of the playoffs so long.  The recent snow, combined with conflicts from the Panther's success did not help.  But let's see how it goes moving forward.

I heard on XM this morning that even though Montreal "sold out", there were loads of empty seats recently.  This is because the fans are PO'd by the incredible swoon the team has taken.  

The "buzz" in the seats here is starting to trend towards looking at the future.  When I sit with other STHer's, there is a new vibe I haven't seen for a while.  If the team can back it up with some success, things will change.

As for the arena plans... well, we'll see.  I personally like it being out nowhere because driving to and from is so easy.  I have to admit, though, that with the recent resurgence of downtown Raleigh, it probably would be a "hotter" place to be right now if it where there.   This was one of the original plans when they built the arena.  I would guess you'd see a lot more casual one-game attendees making an event out of going to downtown Raleigh.  I will say as a regular STHer, that it would be a real PITA to attend games.

i have liked attending games in both Atlanta and Washington. Plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance ofr before and after the game. Pnc..... ?

I'm confused about references to "arena plans" for the Canes.  Why are people bringing up the idea of an arena in downtown Raleigh?  The only "arena plans" I've heard mentioned are an addition and some renovations to PNC.  Did I miss something?

I'm confused about references to "arena plans" for the Canes.  Why are people bringing up the idea of an arena in downtown Raleigh?  The only "arena plans" I've heard mentioned are an addition and some renovations to PNC.  Did I miss something?

Yes.  You missed the discussion from 1995.  :)  There were competing locations proposed back then, one included downtown Raleigh, another included what we have, and there were even a few other locations I forgot about.  It pretty much came down to downtown vs. next to the football stadium.

I brought it up. Sorry for the confusion.  There are current plans to renovate and add restaurant, meeting areas.  These are good.

My point was although I disagreed with the idea in 1995 of bringing an arena to downtown, time is now proving this probably was a good forward looking idea.  That's water over the dam now.  We have what we have.  It is a comparatively easy drive in and out, which I like.  The missing portion is nearby nightlife.  Oh well.  They are renovating to try to add something.

I have been a partial STH for a while and live in Durham. Commute time to PNC w/decent traffic is 25 minutes. Easy to get out and home at a reasonable time from PNC. Commute time to downtown Raleigh w/decent traffic would be a minimum of 40 minutes. Parking would be more difficult and getting home at a reasonable hour on week nights would be an issue. Have no idea how many STHs come from Durham, or even casual, attend a few games fans, but moving to downtown Raleigh would be a deal breaker for me.

I have been a partial STH for a while and live in Durham. Commute time to PNC w/decent traffic is 25 minutes. Easy to get out and home at a reasonable time from PNC. Commute time to downtown Raleigh w/decent traffic would be a minimum of 40 minutes. Parking would be more difficult and getting home at a reasonable hour on week nights would be an issue. Have no idea how many STHs come from Durham, or even casual, attend a few games fans, but moving to downtown Raleigh would be a deal breaker for me.

I wouldn't worry, Bluedevil.  No plans on moving.  :)

Your concern was one of the major points against going downtown in 1995.

Has anyone heard where these renovations stand?  Were they approved and the work just hasn't started yet, or has this renovation plan fallen through?  Before the games yesterday, Mrs. Storm and I were having a food and beverage in one of the concourse pub nooks and thinking about these planned renovations and how nice it would be to be having our booze and grub on the outdoor deck envisioned in the plans.  PNC, while not a bad arena for its age, could use a refresh and some upgrades.  

It would be a complete nightmare to have the team in down town Raleigh.  A vast majority of fans come from Chapel Hill, Durham, and even the surrounding Apex and North Raleigh areas.  I for one hate going to downtown Raleigh because I drive a big F150 ad can't park it and I am also farther away if the stadium goes there.  I hope it stays where it is.  I live in Chapel Hill on 15-501.

1 hour ago, Red_Storm said:

Has anyone heard where these renovations stand?  Were they approved and the work just hasn't started yet, or has this renovation plan fallen through?  Before the games yesterday, Mrs. Storm and I were having a food and beverage in one of the concourse pub nooks and thinking about these planned renovations and how nice it would be to be having our booze and grub on the outdoor deck envisioned in the plans.  PNC, while not a bad arena for its age, could use a refresh and some upgrades.  

While they never did the outdoor deck like those plans had- and not sure if what i'm about to say they call part of the improvements.. they have upgraded many areas in the 200's.. put in new eating areas there.. did that new and improved "ribbon" around the inside of arena and added the l.e.d. lights on top of inside of arena.

1 hour ago, Red_Storm said:

Has anyone heard where these renovations stand?

Judging by the preseason press reports, they put $5 million into the PNC last summer...

"which include two loge boxes, two club level concession stands transformed into two upscale lounges and a new 360 degree LED ribbon board." (from twcnews.com)

Compare that to the much-ballyhooed original vision here, and it's easy to guess that Hurricanes Holdings scaled things back. Given the Canes' crappy gate in recent years they've probably opted to do it piecemeal.

The club concessions area is a nice upgrade. The food and the appearance is much nicer. Too bad I won't be sitting up there anymore. :kleenex:.

3 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

It would be a complete nightmare to have the team in down town Raleigh.  A vast majority of fans come from Chapel Hill, Durham, and even the surrounding Apex and North Raleigh areas.  I for one hate going to downtown Raleigh because I drive a big F150 ad can't park it and I am also farther away if the stadium goes there.  I hope it stays where it is.  I live in Chapel Hill on 15-501.

Nice big unused area NE quad of 40 intersection with 540.  

5 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

...Compare that to the much-ballyhooed original vision here, and it's easy to guess that Hurricanes Holdings scaled things back. Given the Canes' crappy gate in recent years they've probably opted to do it piecemeal.

Thanks top...I guess the upgrades were so, um, seamless, I must have missed them...lol

• Like 1