The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
donwake

Prospects Looking Good

We could all use more positivity in our lives, so I thought it'd be good to discuss some our prospects to get excited about.

http://canesandcoffee.com/on-the-farm/nedeljkovic-wesleys-futures-with-flint-in-doubt-following-firebirds-scandal/

This is a nice blog that summarizes all the stats for our non-AHL prospects.

Some highlights:

Sebastian Aho has 15 points in 17 games of Liiga play. His product really stepped after the team had some injuries and he was put on the 1st line with 2016 prospect Jesse Puljujarvi. Evidently the two have developed great chemistry. Also notable is that he leads Liiga in +/- with a +12. Still some concerns going to the NHL with his size and physicality, but he'll be exciting to watch for at the WJC. 

Nicolas Roy has 26 points in 18 games in the Q. No idea how this big guy fell to us in the 4th round. Looks like a steal so far. He's currently on a 15 game point streak and he's going to appear on Team QMJHL for the Canada-Russia Series.

Haydn Fleury has 16 points in 13 games in the WHL. A lot of people criticized his lack of production last season, I think he was mostly working on improving his defensive play. This season, with Red Deer hosting the Memorial Cup, it looks like he's just focusing on having a great year. He was suspended for a few games earlier in the season for a headshot. I don't think this is too concerning and just shows he likes to play physical. He should be a top pair guy for Canada in the WJC.

Roland McKeown has 19 points in 18 games in the OHL. He was recently joined by Warren Foegele, who left UNH. I think this offensive output really shows just how good he is at quarterbacking the power play. Hard to say where he fits in the system long term. We might see him in the WJC.

Lucas Wallmark has 13 points in 13 points with Lulea Hockey in the SHL. He's playing on the second line and most of his points are assists (11) from his great playmaking. He's taken a few penalties for diving this season. Can't wait to see what he can do over here.

Lot of other guys doing pretty well too like Clark Bishop and Spencer Smallman.

Edited by donwake

Something interesting of note on Aho. He was injured for 4 games after getting hit in the neck by a slapshot. Thankfully, he only sustained some bruising and nothing more severe. While he was out of the lineup, his team lost 4 straight and only scored 2 goals. In Aho's first game back, he scored 2 goals (one shorthanded) in a 5 goal victory. It seems he plays a vitally important role for his team.

Also, it was just announced that McKeown and Fleury are 2 of 11 Canadian defensemen to be selected to try out for the Canadian WJC team, both with a good shot to make the team.

Thanks for the update, I did read that earlier today on Aho. Great news.  Looking forward to seeing him at the WJC.

I doubt Fleury gets snubbed again.  Rooting for McKeown.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Both Fleury and McKeown have really kept up the pace in points too. While neither is a pure offensive D man, putting up offense in Junior Hockey is still considered a must for guys hoping to play in the NHL, even if they are more defensive in the NHL. Also, understanding that they are competing with more younger players each year, and numbers should go up, still they are both WAY up.

Fleury is on pace to triple his points from last year, at .86 ppg, and has as many goals in 21 games that took about 65 games the past two years. He is #11 in dmen in the WHL/EHL for points per game (out of 120), and #4 for dmen in goals and goals/game. He is plus 9 good for third best on the team, best defenseman. He was the last guy out for the WJC last year, he should be a lock this year.

McKeown is scoring even more. At .89 ppg, he is on pace to double his points for last year and is the #3 point producer among d men in the OHL. He is #3 on his team in points (the two ahead of him are forwards). He is #2 on the team in plus/minus at plus 8 (leader (a forward) is plus 9, and the next best D man is plus 2).

Both guys were supposedly told to really focus on defense last year and saw their numbers drop way off. Both guys have rebounded this year well past their draft years. Just like Coastal said for WJC, I'd say for the NHL: Fleury is a lock, rooting for McKeown, but he has a very good chance.

I can't help but list them off every time because it just makes me smile. Our future defense looks amazing.

Faulk/Hanifin/Pesce/Fleury/Slavin/Murphy/McKeown.

And that's 7, leaving space to trade one or two if needed.

Edited by remkin

Altshuler has only played in 1 game since being sent down from Charlotte to the Everblades.  Gave up 4 goals on 27 shots (0.852%). 

I wonder what''s up??

DId he find time to hang out with some MTL Canadien's players, and teach him cliff diving?

a little something to distract us from deadline talk, Sebastian Aho and Nicolas Roy are still tearing it up and look like some of the biggest steals of 2015. Roy looks like he could hit the 100 pt mark while Aho is near a ppg in the Finnish league. Finnish media have given him the nickname "the Professor" for his hockey smarts. Seems likely he will play for the national team this summer in the world championships. Hopefully we'll get to see some of him next year! Exciting stuff!

Muse .929 and 1.63 GAA in 6 games. It's interesting to me how new goalies in Charlotte are getting extremely streaky. Is it because the core group of guys don't know what to expect from the tender and are playing tight defense?

Muse .929 and 1.63 GAA in 6 games. It's interesting to me how new goalies in Charlotte are getting extremely streaky. Is it because the core group of guys don't know what to expect from the tender and are playing tight defense?

I seem to recall him having a really hot streak with Charlotte when he was there before.  I remember thinking he might even be NHL backup material at one point.  I wish we had a regular Chex fan or two on here who could give us details on the goings on in Charlotte.

I've been a failure on the 'regular Chex fan' thing... when we moved to Charlotte i had full intentions of being a regular, but i still haven't made it to a game.

It's been a long time, but we had two guys that used to post all kinds of stuff on the River Rats.  Those guys were hockey nerds and they didn't mind sharing.  It was great considering the team was in NY.

Get with the program Realm. :lol: