The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

What's Happened to Elias Lindholm?

Never meant my frustration to be directed at GMRF coastal.  On multiple occasions I've stated that I thought the reason we haven't done more was much more likely due to PK limiting the budget than Francis actually "liking our group". :)

We'll never know what difference another "value" forward might have made this year, but I do wonder about the domino effect and our lack of depth at RW, especially since we've shown competitiveness.

And I'd refine your point and differentiate "budget" from "value" (I'd put Terry in the Budget category and Gerbe in the Value category),  I think a team can win with a limited number of Value players if the core or system is strong enough.  I think it's hard to overcome too many Budget players.    

Edited by LakeLivin

On the signing somebody else thing, with EStaal, Ward, and JML deals all expiring this year, I think RF knew that any real improvements to be had via free agency was a year down the road. If I'm PK and and looking at this bunch, I don't think another million spent on a Boyes or Stepniak was going to make this team a playoff contender. If that is the case, there is no reason to spend the money. Might as well evaluate the guys in the system.

As has been mentioned, the real issue is having 5 or 6 positions tied up by guys that most likely shouldn't be on any NHL roster.

Edited by super_dave_1

This is a sore spot for me because I've wanted us to pick up at least one more "value" UFA for both of the past 2 offseasons.  Don't know if the reason we didn't was due more to GMRF or PK (I'm not buying that we couldn't get anyone that might have helped to come here)

Lake, I was referring to your question.  I wish I could find the tweet but it was in reference to signing Tlusty and Francis said they were at the internal budget and his hands were tied. :)  You were right, but Francis actually said it.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Lake, I was referring to your question.  I wish I could find the tweet but it was in reference to signing Tlusty and Francis said they were at the internal budget and his hands were tied. :)  You were right, but Francis actually said it.

Fair enough, my bad.  Not sure why I even said it like that :huh: cause I've always felt it was much more PK. 

Hey, you guys may be right that one more forward wouldn't make a big difference.  I'm still not so sure given the domino effect and our competitiveness. What if someone brought to this point 3 or 4 extra goals and added an extra 4 or 5 assists? With all of the close games we've had, and depending on the timing, that might have been worth an extra 5 or 6 points, which would have had us fighting for that 8th spot in the East.  Or not.

Regardless of whether or not another forward would have made a difference, here's what I find frustrating: it feels like the administration (PK) didn't try hard to be competitive this year.  We lost 2 (supposed) top 6 forwards in Tlusty and Semin and brought in only one new one (Versteeg).  I think we all knew we needed more talent up front.  Even if we'd have brought in someone and they didn't make that much of a difference, at least I'd have had the feeling that we tried.

Another unfortunate game. Penalties, losing face offs, getting robbed by Reimer. Noticed he was smiling after his second penalty and after his shoot out attempt. It was the kind of smile that says "there's no hope anymore, I don't see the point in trying, it's all just a big joke"