The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac23

Who Stays/Goes w/Yanks

Ok, lost another one. Some of you are Yankee fans, others are not.. and some just don't care. Either way, it's still something to finally see "The Dynasty" completely crumble.. Soooo, voice out who you think is staying and who you think is leaving (via Free Agency/Trades/Player Option/ or just being Fired from the Boss)

C23, you're a good sport to start this so soon.

The Yanks have some amazing young players that'll anchor the new look Yankees. Wang, Joba, Hughs, and Kennedy should all be mainstays in the rotation.

Cabrerra, Betemit and Damon make up the outfield. I think they'll re-sign Arod (just a hunch), Jeter of course at short stop, Cano at second and Shelly Duncan at first.

I think Posada won't be re-signed unless he's willing to take a 2 year deal. Abreu and Giambi are gone. And the jury is out on Rivera. I just cant imagine him closing for any other team so unless he retires (which is quite possible), he'll be back in pinstripes. Mastui is too injury prone and will be the DH.

The whole bullpen will need an overhaul...period.

Joe Torre will manage anyone but the Yankees even if Steinbrenner wants him back. At his age and resume, surely he's had enough of NY.

Ok, lost another one. Some of you are Yankee fans, others are not.. and some just don't care. Either way, it's still something to finally see "The Dynasty" completely crumble.. Soooo, voice out who you think is staying and who you think is leaving (via Free Agency/Trades/Player Option/ or just being Fired from the Boss)

C23, you're a good sport to start this so soon.

The Yanks have some amazing young players that'll anchor the new look Yankees. Wang, Joba, Hughs, and Kennedy should all be mainstays in the rotation.

Cabrerra, Betemit and Damon make up the outfield. I think they'll re-sign Arod (just a hunch), Jeter of course at short stop, Cano at second and Shelly Duncan at first.

I think Posada won't be re-signed unless he's willing to take a 2 year deal. Abreu and Giambi are gone. And the jury is out on Rivera. I just cant imagine him closing for any other team so unless he retires (which is quite possible), he'll be back in pinstripes. Mastui is too injury prone and will be the DH.

The whole bullpen will need an overhaul...period.

Joe Torre will manage anyone but the Yankees even if Steinbrenner wants him back. At his age and resume, surely he's had enough of NY.

Some things, you shouldn't waste time or let anything pass. I agree with you on the Torre... 3 more wins, and he would of passed Joe for most wins. I would like to see Rivera back, even if he is just a setup man (which I doubt I'll see, but who knows).. Posada.. he's gotta come back. We don't have anyone in the system, so unless we get a big name catcher... who knows. :rolleyes:

Rivera and Posada are both interesting situations. If they're going to stick to their guns and put Joba in the rotation, then keeping Rivera becomes a higher priority. A Yankee pen with neither Rivera nor Joba could be a huge problem. If they're willing to reconsider that and put Joba at the back end of the pen, then they won't have to bend over backwards for Rivera.

Posada is bound to start declining, but they don't have any internal options ready to replace him. They would be fools to give him more than 2 years though.

Torre will be a huge factor. If he stays, I'll be surprised if either of them leave. If he goes, I bet at least 1 leaves.

The A-rod situation looks almost impossible to predict so I won't even try.

torre is gone. or at least he should be - tough i feel that it's through no fault of his own. on the whole, torre was very successful coaching the yanks. he is clearly one of the most respected managers in the game. i like the fact that torre criticized the way in which steinbrenner basically threatened to fire him. i read it in usa today - because i didn't catch the press conference after the game. if torre leaves (or is asked to leave) the yanks, i wonder where he will end up??? hopefully a team like the dodgers or mets - a team that is at least somewhat equipped to make a trip to the postseason next year.

Though he's gotten to the PO 12 years/13 year.. but the last 7 years, have been aggrivating. Is it Torre's fault, not entirely. He could have made some better choices when to came to certain decisions, but Cashmoney and Steinny could have used in grown talent. chop down some of the payroll, thats for sure.

Though he's gotten to the PO 12 years/13 year.. but the last 7 years, have been aggrivating. Is it Torre's fault, not entirely. He could have made some better choices when to came to certain decisions, but Cashmoney and Steinny could have used in grown talent. chop down some of the payroll, thats for sure.

I think its Cashmans fault more than Torre IMO.

Torre is one of the all time greats and would love to see him in LA coaching instead of Mr. Comatose Grady Little

as for who goes.

I say Farsworthless, Mussina (he looks done), Clemens, same,

Giambi, because he is very greedy A-Rod and to me a worthless Jason Betemit

You still have some excellent young talent in Joba, Robinson Cano, Hughes to be with the greats in Jeter, Damon, Posada, Matsui etc

all in all you could use some younger pitching and maybe one younger bat.

I would rather be NY than a pathetic excuse of a team the LA Dodgers :blink:

I didn't think Betemit was all that bad. I know we've been after him for a while, and he's not a sub every now and again. I'm going to try to find 2008 free agents. I know Johan Santana was very unhappy with the Twins, so maybe we can trade for him somehow... I don't know how they would finagle that one, but that would be wow.

Saw that. Love Mo... but he'll be 38 (or 39, cant remember)... 2 year deal, at the max I think. Like I said before, love Torre... but maybe it's time to shake things up a bit.

Saw that. Love Mo... but he'll be 38 (or 39, cant remember)... 2 year deal, at the max I think. Like I said before, love Torre... but maybe it's time to shake things up a bit.

Seems to be the common opinion with all the Yankee fans I know. I just don't see how Torre would want to re-sign there. Be kinda ironic if both he and ARod end up on the West Coast. Angels anyone?

Seems to be the common opinion with all the Yankee fans I know. I just don't see how Torre would want to re-sign there. Be kinda ironic if both he and ARod end up on the West Coast. Angels anyone?

That'd be the case, we'd REALLY have a hard time making it to the WS. Looking over some of the free agents and man... it's not looking THAT great... you have some finds in there.... but I dunno.

That'd be the case, we'd REALLY have a hard time making it to the WS. Looking over some of the free agents and man... it's not looking THAT great... you have some finds in there.... but I dunno.

It may just end up that the Yankess have a bit of a rebuilding process. Do you think the Yankee fans would be able to handle a re-building year? I'm not so sure they'd be too patient in Boston.

It may just end up that the Yankess have a bit of a rebuilding process. Do you think the Yankee fans would be able to handle a re-building year? I'm not so sure they'd be too patient in Boston.

If they could, 1 year, TOPS. Or else they'd say this was suppose to be their rebuilding year. LOL! But.. Torre goes, I'd guess a couple would follow. Mo, Pettitte, Jorge. Really wish we'd get rid of close to 50 mil with Abreu, Moose, Farns, Giamgi, Igawa (Wow, what a disappointment for us!)

Holy Cow!!!! From TSN.ca

Report: Steinbrenner stepping down

New York, NY (Sports Network) - New York Yankees legendary owner George Steinbrenner is reportedly stepping down and will hand control of the team off to his sons, according to a report in the New York Post.

Members of the Yankees brass told the newspaper that Hank and Hal Steinbrenner will share leadership in an arrangement to be further ironed out in Tampa, Florida later this week.

"George has taken on a role like the chairman of a major corporation," Yankees president Randy Levine told the Post. "He's been saying for years he's wanted to get his sons involved in the family business. Both of them have stepped up and are taking on the day-to-day duties of what's required to run the Yankees."

Both brothers are expected to have final say on baseball decisions, the running of the YES Network and the construction of the new Yankee Stadium.

"There's always been a succession - and that's myself and my brother," Hank told the newspaper. "I'll pay more attention to the baseball part. The stadium, that's more Hal. But basically everything will be decided jointly."

The brothers have already been heavily involved is George Steinbrenner's business dealings.

Hank, 50, runs the family's 850-acre Kinsman Stable, a horse farm for thoroughbreds in Ocala, Florida.

Hal, 38, oversees five hotels in Florida and one in Ohio and is in charge of various real-estate, transportation and marketing companies. He was also recently named chairman of the board of Yankee Global Enterprises.

Hank has already made one key baseball decision and will move rookie sensation Joba Chamberlain from the bullpen to the starting rotation in 2008. Chamberlain excelled in the Yankees' minor league system as a starter before being called up by the big club as a setup man for Mariano Rivera.

Larger decisions loom on the horizon for the new Yankees caretakers, most notably the future of manager Joe Torre.

It was thought that Torre managed his last game in a New York Yankees uniform when they were beaten by the Cleveland Indians, 6-4, in Game 4 of their American League Division Series.

It was the third straight year that the Yankees were unceremoniously dumped from the playoffs in the first round and the elder Steinbrenner had already put Torre on notice.

"His job is on the line," George Steinbrenner told the Bergen Record before Game 3 of the series. "I think we're paying him a lot of money. He's the highest-paid manager in baseball, so I don't think we'd take him back if we don't win this series."

Torre was in the final year of a contract worth over $7 million per year and has led the Yankees to four World Series titles and 12 consecutive playoff appearances.

Torre's 12 appearances in postseason play with the Yankees (1996-2007) are the most by any manager in American League history and he's won more postseason games than any skipper in major league history.

The 67-year-old mentor is 1,173-767 during the regular season in his tenure with the Yankees, winning the World Series four years in a five-season span (1996, 1998-2000).

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=220602&hubname=

Holy Cow!!!! From TSN.ca

Report: Steinbrenner stepping down

New York, NY (Sports Network) - New York Yankees legendary owner George Steinbrenner is reportedly stepping down and will hand control of the team off to his sons, according to a report in the New York Post.

Members of the Yankees brass told the newspaper that Hank and Hal Steinbrenner will share leadership in an arrangement to be further ironed out in Tampa, Florida later this week.

"George has taken on a role like the chairman of a major corporation," Yankees president Randy Levine told the Post. "He's been saying for years he's wanted to get his sons involved in the family business. Both of them have stepped up and are taking on the day-to-day duties of what's required to run the Yankees."

Both brothers are expected to have final say on baseball decisions, the running of the YES Network and the construction of the new Yankee Stadium.

"There's always been a succession - and that's myself and my brother," Hank told the newspaper. "I'll pay more attention to the baseball part. The stadium, that's more Hal. But basically everything will be decided jointly."

The brothers have already been heavily involved is George Steinbrenner's business dealings.

Hank, 50, runs the family's 850-acre Kinsman Stable, a horse farm for thoroughbreds in Ocala, Florida.

Hal, 38, oversees five hotels in Florida and one in Ohio and is in charge of various real-estate, transportation and marketing companies. He was also recently named chairman of the board of Yankee Global Enterprises.

Hank has already made one key baseball decision and will move rookie sensation Joba Chamberlain from the bullpen to the starting rotation in 2008. Chamberlain excelled in the Yankees' minor league system as a starter before being called up by the big club as a setup man for Mariano Rivera.

Larger decisions loom on the horizon for the new Yankees caretakers, most notably the future of manager Joe Torre.

It was thought that Torre managed his last game in a New York Yankees uniform when they were beaten by the Cleveland Indians, 6-4, in Game 4 of their American League Division Series.

It was the third straight year that the Yankees were unceremoniously dumped from the playoffs in the first round and the elder Steinbrenner had already put Torre on notice.

"His job is on the line," George Steinbrenner told the Bergen Record before Game 3 of the series. "I think we're paying him a lot of money. He's the highest-paid manager in baseball, so I don't think we'd take him back if we don't win this series."

Torre was in the final year of a contract worth over $7 million per year and has led the Yankees to four World Series titles and 12 consecutive playoff appearances.

Torre's 12 appearances in postseason play with the Yankees (1996-2007) are the most by any manager in American League history and he's won more postseason games than any skipper in major league history.

The 67-year-old mentor is 1,173-767 during the regular season in his tenure with the Yankees, winning the World Series four years in a five-season span (1996, 1998-2000).

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=220602&hubname=

Man, thank you. I think Steinbrenner is a piece... one of the worst employers someone could work for. The pay is good, but who would want to work under his conditions? Hopefully the sons will be better. I have no knowledge of how they are, so anythings possible. Hopefully they can do something about the no facial hair/long hair thing. Damon looks better with a beard and long hair. And with George "gone" maybe Torre can comeback under different conditions. I'm sure everyone else loves him, ya know???

Man, thank you. I think Steinbrenner is a piece... one of the worst employers someone could work for. The pay is good, but who would want to work under his conditions? Hopefully the sons will be better. I have no knowledge of how they are, so anythings possible. Hopefully they can do something about the no facial hair/long hair thing. Damon looks better with a beard and long hair. And with George "gone" maybe Torre can comeback under different conditions. I'm sure everyone else loves him, ya know???

I heard he was ill, but its not confirmed.

If I was a Yankee fan, I'd be psyched that finally my team can start a new era with all the young talent, and maybe my coach would re-sign.

As a Sox fan, it makes me a little uneasy cause as long as Steinbrenner remains at the top, the Yankees arent going the distance. ;)

I heard he was ill, but its not confirmed.

If I was a Yankee fan, I'd be psyched that finally my team can start a new era with all the young talent, and maybe my coach would re-sign.

As a Sox fan, it makes me a little uneasy cause as long as Steinbrenner remains at the top, the Yankees arent going the distance. ;)

Exactly. A new era, a new generation for a new ballpark. Ashame the new ballpark doesnt open this year and we could of used that slogan. But I guess it gives the Yanks 1 more year to try to get the WS title for the old ball park. Next 2 years, they're going to win it someway.

But, I still say let Abreu go. Thats 16 mil right there we could use in the bullpen. Let Kevin Thompson or Bronson Sardonna(?) try RF for a while. Let the farm rise to the occasion. Only way their going to get better is with experience. And with this season especially in the beginning, try out the new kids on the block.

Update I heard was Steinbrenner's sons are taking over the day-to-day stuff but George will still be in charge.

Sorry... :(