The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

The Great Cam Ward Debate Thread: Re-sign? Trade?

Some chatter in other threads by the Cam Ward Fan Club about how he's playing well and should stay. According to http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/last-3-nhl-seasons-players-stats.html, over the last 3 years combined, CW has been 46th in GAA and 63rd in SV%. Now, is he going to sign a deal to pay him on par with the 50th or so best goalie in the league?

Interesting article I saw on another forum on Eddie: http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=11602901

I remember people talking about Marcoux a few weeks ago and it  seems like he's been a big part of the problem, trying to remold Eddie into a more aggressive out of the crease style that he's not comfortable with or suited to, when it didn't really seem like there was a big issue to begin with.

That really is interesting. I remember over and over Tripp (a former goalie) saying things about Lack's better play like, "now he's letting the game come to him" etc. As if perhaps either unilaterally or with the coach, his has just decided to play his game. I am no technique expert, but it would seem that things like rebound control and others would be signficantly affected by coming farther out of the crease.

If a guy, playing his style puts up .923 save %, and forced to change to a challenging style puts up sub .900? Maybe let him play his game? But what do I know? Not much.

Edited by remkin

Thanks for posting this.  It affirms my belief that Marcoux is the problem.  All season long I've watched both goalies slide all over the place and be mostly out of position far outside the blue paint.  It pains me to hear Tripp rave about the aggressiveness when they challenge shots while seeing what happens next.  Many times the result is simply a wide open net.  Note how you don't see the Canes forwards have that good fortune on the other side.

I think Cam was at his best with Barasso as coach.  He was still and positioned with excellent technique and not what you see today.

Ditto on this. I've heard the same "chatter" and have seen it for myself. Lack is a big guy that likes to play deep in the net. They changed that and he has struggled. When he plays deep (his comfort zone) he is much better. They want the goalies at the top of the crease, etc and that works with Ward. He's better when he comes out, cuts the angles, etc. Lack, not so much. Different goalies. They're messing up Lack's game. You can see the improvement in him when he plays "his style". 

If a guy, playing his style puts up .923 save %, and forced to change to a challenging style puts up sub .900? Maybe let him play his game? But what do I know? Not much.

Yop.  He may or may not be 'the guy', but if he's being asked to play a different game from what got him to the NHL, it's almost like setting him up to fail.  Show him the tweaks to make himself better, but don't try to make him a completely different player.  But i'm just this guy, you know?