The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

What has Don Waddell done for this franchise?

Sounds like he has ticked off a lot of people. Seems to have a special gift for that.

Never underestimate the importance of someone who can tick off the customer base.

Well if he wants people to be apathetic about a future team move, he's getting that done.

at this time of year there are a number of cars sporting Hurricanes flags.  on my trip out for lunch did not see one, 

Is he really prepping the team for relocation or did JR go all in with Serin and the Staal brothers and it ended up being a complete train wreck?

As a long time fan, I look at what I have to pay to go to a game, pay for parking, and but 3 beers and food and I am like..... Then I see this train wreck on the ice and I am just like does this justify this price?

Is he really prepping the team for relocation or did JR go all in with Serin and the Staal brothers and it ended up being a complete train wreck?

As a long time fan, I look at what I have to pay to go to a game, pay for parking, and but 3 beers and food and I am like..... Then I see this train wreck on the ice and I am just like does this justify this price?

[rices are comparable with northern markets and SCF teams.  But the Cansx fall in neither categor,

What has he done?  Well, he took a squirt of water in the face from a water bottle in one of the TV spots.  We have that at least.

From the moment PK hired him, I assumed his job was to get PK the max for the team when it was sold. I also viewed him as the "angel of death" from what he did to the Thrashers. He has done NOTHING to enhance the game experience in Raleigh. Pre-game and in-game entertainment when the puck is not in play has been cut to nothing. My season tix (12/11 game plan) went up almost 40% this year. Some price increase is to be expected, but 40% after 6 years of missing the playoffs, and last year being the worst since 2002-3? I think he was brought in to manage us out of Raleigh, and get PK a nice sale price from someone that compares that price to $500 million for an expansion team.

If he was really brought in to maximize profit IN RALEIGH then he should be fired post haste.

I think the biggest issue that Waddell brings is his rather questionable past from Atlanta.  There are a lot of similarities to the woes of this franchise and the old Thrashers.  Southern franchise, mired in below mediocrity (we'd have to improve to be mediocre) , and having attendance issues.  We all know how that ended and we're a little edgy.  I don't feel any franchise will be able to entertain a move until after the expansion, so we do have a buffer zone.

On the outside looking in, I don't see one positive thing that has come since Waddell came.  I take that back.  I like the move away from wholesale undercutting STH prices and devaluing the product.  They took that theory to the extreme, and for some unknown reason, went up significantly on ticket prices.  Waddell wanted to get the Canes price structure in line with the rest of the NHL (or so he says).  They would have been better off getting the Canes performance in line with the rest of the NHL first.

GiYNSt.jpg

That looks exactly like what I saw Saturday night at about 6:15.  Saturday night folks.  Not a Tuesday against the Panthers.  Beautiful afternoon too.

I think the biggest issue that Waddell brings is his rather questionable past from Atlanta.  There are a lot of similarities to the woes of this franchise and the old Thrashers.  Southern franchise, mired in below mediocrity (we'd have to improve to be mediocre) , and having attendance issues.  We all know how that ended and we're a little edgy.  I don't feel any franchise will be able to entertain a move until after the expansion, so we do have a buffer zone.

On the outside looking in, I don't see one positive thing that has come since Waddell came.  I take that back.  I like the move away from wholesale undercutting STH prices and devaluing the product.  They took that theory to the extreme, and for some unknown reason, went up significantly on ticket prices.  Waddell wanted to get the Canes price structure in line with the rest of the NHL (or so he says).  They would have been better off getting the Canes performance in line with the rest of the NHL first.

While I appreciate not undercutting my ticket prices, running off the cheap seat people, the mini and half season people ,and raising prices to force our some the full season people is not a sound business strategy.  Especially when it's before they improve the on ice performance.

Undercutting season ticket prices continues as before. Go to Stub Hub or Seat Geeks.  I sit three rows up from the bottom in Sect 123 have a half season plan at about $86+ a seat.  I was on Seat Geeks and saw the row in front of me with about 4 seats going for $46 a seat.  Stub Hub and Seat Geeks are re-sellers for the Canes.  I'll drop to the 12 game plan next season and save hundreds on adding another 10-12 games by going to one of these sites.  This is my 11th season as a season ticket holder. Doesn't bother me to sit in different lower level spots, I love the game even if the Canes do their best to ruin it. 

Edited by raleighcaniac

Undercutting season ticket prices continues as before. Go to Stub Hub or Seat Geeks.  I sit three rows up from the bottom in Sect 123 have a half season plan at about $86+ a seat.  I was on Seat Geeks and saw the row in front of me with about 4 seats going for $46 a seat.  Stub Hub and Seat Geeks are re-sellers for the Canes.  I'll drop to the 12 game plan next season and save hundreds on adding another 10-12 games by going to one of these sites.  This is my 11th season as a season ticket holder. Doesn't bother me to sit in different lower level spots, I love the game even if the Canes do their best to ruin it. 

So you are saying that the Hurricanes re-sell tickets through these websites at a discount rather than sell them for full price at the box office? I have never heard that but if true that is really bad.

Don't season ticket holders also sell tickets to games they don't want to attend through those sites?  I wonder if that's what you saw rather than those seats being sold by the Canes? 

Edited by LakeLivin

A couple of years ago, you could buy upper level tickets as low as $1 on StubHub and lower level tickets as low as $10 to $15.  I bought tickets at those prices, and also bought center ice premier about 4 rows up as low as $20.  The team had to be dumping tickets on the secondary market.  A member on another message board was going to a luncheon or meet and greet or something to that effect.  We got him to ask the staff if they were dumping those tickets.  The answer was "no", but the super el-cheapo tickets dried up.  Cause and effect or just coincidence?  I think many of the tickets you see on the resell sites now are from ticket brokers that buy up blocks of season tickets (they must get some big discount) and resell, hoping to hit the jackpot.

They were also giving out more freebies and offering every discount known to man at a cheaper price than what a STH was paying. 

A couple of years ago, you could buy upper level tickets as low as $1 on StubHub and lower level tickets as low as $10 to $15.  I bought tickets at those prices, and also bought center ice premier about 4 rows up as low as $20.  The team had to be dumping tickets on the secondary market.  A member on another message board was going to a luncheon or meet and greet or something to that effect.  We got him to ask the staff if they were dumping those tickets.  The answer was "no", but the super el-cheapo tickets dried up.  Cause and effect or just coincidence?  I think many of the tickets you see on the resell sites now are from ticket brokers that buy up blocks of season tickets (they must get some big discount) and resell, hoping to hit the jackpot.

They were also giving out more freebies and offering every discount known to man at a cheaper price than what a STH was paying. 

been monitoring Stub Hub for el chepo tickets.not there